ADVERTISEMENT

So tired of sitting through 3-4 months of garbage basketball

Tubby was pushed out because he didn’t have UK in the title discussion nearly as often as Cal does.

Tubby did not recruit and was a lazy recruiter.

Tubby force fed his son down our throat over better players and flat out lied as to the reason the better players didn’t play

Tubby wanted his son(s) on his staff in spite of nepotism policies.

Cal has definitely got some looking in the mirror to do as the record against major conference opponents has slipped. K took away his we are young excuse he has relied on when they kicked our ass with all that young talent.

But Cal gets more slack because despite his losses he has kept UK in the national conversation far more than Tubby ever did.
I haven’t agreed with everything you’ve posted in this thread but I think the above post is pretty spot on. It was hard to argue that it wasn’t time for Tubby to move on at the end of his tenure here. Hopefully Cal gets this team on track and the fan base can drop the sky is falling cries.

The one and done strategy has been a double edged sword for our program. We have seen the perks of it during some seasons but we have seen the negative aspects as well. Not playing very well the first half of some seasons is a common trend. I don’t care who the coach is, it’s extremely difficult to take a young team and go against a team loaded with veteran players. When Cal came to Kentucky he recruited differently than he did elsewhere because of our facilities and because we are such a major program in college basketball. I personally think he should have partially stuck with what got him here by blending in upperclassmen with the talented 5 star players. DeAndre Liggins, Darius Miller, and Josh Harrellson are perfect examples of how upperclassmen athletes can be huge for a program.

We have lost some regular season games and NCAA tournament games because of a lack of veteran leadership on the court and that will be a common trend if Cal doesn’t make some changes. He’s not getting the elite recruits right now and it’s making a big difference with our program with his current recruiting strategy. Cal is a good coach but if he wants to be successful here, he is going to have to back to his roots with how he builds rosters.
Well said.

I don’t care if it’s my wife coaching UK.... the last 3 years and 9 games is not up to standards
This is where you just come off as going on a deranged rant.

32-6. 16-2 in the SEC, SEC Tourney champs. Last second loss in the Elite 8.

That wasn't up to UK standards?

Let's analyze post 78 title.

Hall- 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 85 all worse, no question
Sutton- 87, 88, 89, worse. 86 similar.
Pitino- 90, 91, 94 worse. 92, 95 similar.
Smith- 00, 01, 02, 04, 06, 07, worse. 99, 03, 05 similar.
Clyde- 08, 09 worse.

31 seasons before Cal, and 20 of them obviously worse than what you're saying isn't up to UK standards, 6 more that are comparable, although I think you'd be hard pressed to say that any of 92, 99, or 05 really had as good a season as 16-17 did, as none won 30, all lost 6 or more games, and none seemed as much a title contender as 16-17. I'd take 03 and 86 over 17 for overall accomplishment, despite the tournament disappointments, but would probably take 17 over 95 (the most similar of all of these) because 17 went down at the last second, while 95 just seemed to panic.

So 16-17, which ended LESS THAN 2 YEARS AGO, would be UK's 8th best season from 79-09.

Clyde- 08, 09 worse.

31 seasons before Cal, and 20 of them obviously worse than what you're saying isn't up to UK standards, 6 more that are comparable, although I think you'd be hard pressed to say that any of 92, 99, or 05 really had as good a season as 16-17 did, as none won 30, all lost 6 or more games, and none seemed as much a title contender as 16-17. I'd take 03 and 86 over 17 for overall accomplishment, despite the tournament disappointments, but would probably take 17 over 95 (the most similar of all of these) because 17 went down at the last second, while 95 just seemed to panic.

So 16-17, which ended LESS THAN 2 YEARS AGO, would be UK's 8th best season from 79-09.

Clyde- 08, 09 worse.

I never said anything about one season as a whole.......... I put all 3 seasons together and lumped them into 0 final fours.. 8.5 losses average over those 3 seasons....

2 years ago in a vacuum is a good season.............. but when you put it in with two poor seasons..... then the 3 years as a whole wasnt up to UK standards

Reactions: TankedCat
I never said anything about one season as a whole.......... I put all 3 seasons together and lumped them into 0 final fours.. 8.5 losses average over those 3 seasons....

2 years ago in a vacuum is a good season.............. but when you put it in with two poor seasons..... then the 3 years as a whole wasnt up to UK standards
Still pretty much wrong.

85-26= 76.6%
UK's overall winning % is 76.4%. It was 75.8% before Cal got here, BTW.

Bottom line, I think, is that it’s hard to watch sausage being made and it’s hard to watch the regular season lately. And with both, you have to wait until later to see how good the final product is.

Swaggy Cal brought alot of this on himself.

Maybe he put more faith in the fans to know he was making recruiting pitches with every speech, but you don't address BBN with we move the needle, we are the gold standard, best of the best, etc and not expect them to buy in.

And you sure as hell don't expect them to sit on their hands for 3 years while you figure out how to get back there. Cal didn't build this monster, but he woke it up, and he used it to his advantage.

I won't apologize as a fan for holding him to his own words.

So, do you agree with the comment made by the OP that we play 3-4 months of garbage basketball? I think that is a silly comment not backed up by the data. That's what generated my smart ass remark. BTW, I agree completely with the rest of your comments above.
Its a stupid comment, I agree. I will pull for this team in every game and be disappointed when they lose. I have been a lifelong UK fan. I am an avid fan but I have never experienced a UK perfect season. We have a great basketball history at UK but we have won only a total of 8 championships. Someone else can break down the championships to years played ratio. So called fans on this board act like they are throwing in the towel when we lose a game. I will be pulling for #9 this year and I will continue to do so and , as a fan, I will take what comes in this teams development without pissing and moaning every time we lose a game. I think this board is great but a handful of fake fans that seem to think of themselves as knowledgeable coaches make it silly to read at times. Its similar to baseballs little league parents. They know nothing about baseball but whine throughout little league season.

Reactions: awf
with the hope that MAYBE we’ll get it going by March and be capable of a Final Four run. This team is so far behind of where I thought they’d be. I’m just tired of this.
More so than usual this year, Cal has a lot of discrepancy in his 5 stars, and the ones that should be playing most of the time, can't, because of Cal having to play everyone, because they trusted him in making them lottery picks and he doesn't want to totally give up on them. And it is hurting the team more than normal this year. Against Seton Hall we got on a pretty good roll the first half and it only took one substitution to disrupt the flow just because of the pressure he feels to play everyone.

This team could be a lot better if he only played the 7 best, the 7 or 8 that makes the best team. The better ones get their rythem disrupted having to give up minutes to some. Wonder what kind of difference Baker would make considering our shooting woes most games?

facts are stubborn things. the truth is that for EVERY team sport, teams are usually better at the end of the season than at the beginning

Clyde- 08, 09 worse.

Another great post that will undoubtedly go overlooked on this message board.

Thanks for the research here, though. I appreciate the well-thought-out posts.

Reactions: awf and IL Wildcat
After reading page 1 & 2 I am convinced every troll and negative poster has provided input. I love Cal, this team, every UK team, and UK. Most of you are fair weather fans, trolls, trolls and bad trolls. Please do all of BBN a favor and follow another team. You don’t post anything butt negative $hit and vibes. You complain about everything. God help your wife, children and family members. You spew hate against our coach, our team and UK. You obviously don’t have a life and are basically miserable human beings. You are big spoiled babies that probably had everything given to you by your mis-lead parents. I spent 15 years in a mental hospital and you negative nannies are crazier than anyone I ever met at Eastern. Get a life, get laid, or just stop spewing your negative BS. Get on the puke or KS board. They will need you come March. Please don’t jump on the UK bandwagon when we are kicking ass in February and March.

Clyde- 08, 09 worse.

deranged rant. yes.

Last 3 years:

85-25
6-3 in the NCAAT

Duke, last 3 years:

82-28
6-3 in the NCAAT.

Even with this horrible plague that we've somehow lived through since 2015-16, Calipari still has more wins, a higher winning percentage, and more Tournament wins than any other coach in the country since he got here in 2009. And yet I see phrases like "garbage basketball" and "not up to standards."

Good Lord.

edit: just looked this up, Cal does not have the most wins of any coach since he got here. He is second on that list to Bill Self. Horrible. Absolutely horrible. Don't understand why any fan base should have to put up with that.

Last edited:
deranged rant. yes.

Last 3 years:

85-25
6-3 in the NCAAT

Duke, last 3 years:

82-28
6-3 in the NCAAT.

Even with this horrible plague that we've somehow lived through since 2015-16, Calipari still has more wins, a higher winning percentage, and more Tournament wins than any other coach in the country since he got here in 2009. And yet I see phrases like "garbage basketball" and "not up to standards."

Good Lord.

Some of UKs poorest excuses for fans vent their frustrations with their own life right here on RR. It boils down to that.

Reactions: awf and Mojocat
Some of UKs poorest excuses for fans vent their frustrations with their own life right here on RR. It boils down to that.
I've talked about this with others - and a lot of what I see that simply pisses me off on this board and makes me wonder what kind of idiocy is thriving here, I think - and hope - just comes down to people not being able to express what they are thinking with much precision. Is it fair to wonder about the future of Cal's recruiting philosophy? Certainly. Is it fair to point out there appear to be chinks in the armor? Sure. There are plenty of observations to be made. But most of it comes across as clueless whining. Again, on every single relevant measure Calipari is either first or second in the country since he got here. And yet I'm seeing comparisons to Tubby, who wasn't first or second in any measure. Just stupid.

I've talked about this with others - and a lot of what I see that simply pisses me off on this board and makes me wonder what kind of idiocy is thriving here, I think - and hope - just comes down to people not being able to express what they are thinking with much precision. Is it fair to wonder about the future of Cal's recruiting philosophy? Certainly. Is it fair to point out there appear to be chinks in the armor? Sure. There are plenty of observations to be made. But most of it comes across as clueless whining. Again, on every single relevant measure Calipari is either first or second in the country since he got here. And yet I'm seeing comparisons to Tubby, who wasn't first or second in any measure. Just stupid.

Agree. It's mainly unhappy people looking for something or someone to unleash their anger on. Unfortunately, they are usually the one's that post the most and ruin it for the rest of us.

Then
with the hope that MAYBE we’ll get it going by March and be capable of a Final Four run. This team is so far behind of where I thought they’d be. I’m just tired of this.

Why don’t you get another team you sorry POS. What the hell is wrong with you? Young teams take time. If it was so easy, even a numskull like you could do it..

That is a stupid way to go through life. Just telling someone to quit when they are concerned with something and voice that concern. People who want things to be better don't just give up on it. They talk about the issues and what it would take to fix it. Would you tell your kids to quit when they are struggling with something or would you stick with them and try to figure out what the problem is and how to fix it?
If my kids came at me with the attitude the OP did, it would get ugly

Reactions: awf and Cardsstink
After reading page 1 & 2 I am convinced every troll and negative poster has provided input. I love Cal, this team, every UK team, and UK. Most of you are fair weather fans, trolls, trolls and bad trolls. Please do all of BBN a favor and follow another team. You don’t post anything butt negative $hit and vibes. You complain about everything. God help your wife, children and family members. You spew hate against our coach, our team and UK. You obviously don’t have a life and are basically miserable human beings. You are big spoiled babies that probably had everything given to you by your mis-lead parents. I spent 15 years in a mental hospital and you negative nannies are crazier than anyone I ever met at Eastern. Get a life, get laid, or just stop spewing your negative BS. Get on the puke or KS board. They will need you come March. Please don’t jump on the UK bandwagon when we are kicking ass in February and March.
Welcome back!

Yeah, it's funny how many of these posters citing "garbage basketball" have gone back under the bridge.

Nah, still here. UNC game was definitely not "garbage". Pretty much every game before that was. Pretty cool watching the same people turn around attack someone for saying the same thing they had been saying or thinking after a big win. Not surprised though, this place is a garbage heap in general.

Then

Why don’t you get another team you sorry POS. What the hell is wrong with you? Young teams take time. If it was so easy, even a numskull like you could do it..

It's actually spelled "numbskull"..

I do enjoy when baby boomers post though. Always a good read.

Reactions: Ocornett
Nah, still here. UNC game was definitely not "garbage". Pretty much every game before that was. Pretty cool watching the same people turn around attack someone for saying the same thing they had been saying or thinking after a big win. Not surprised though, this place is a garbage heap in general.
We'll keep waiting expectantly for you to say something coherent or semi intelligent.

with the hope that MAYBE we’ll get it going by March and be capable of a Final Four run. This team is so far behind of where I thought they’d be. I’m just tired of it.
You would think cal does such a crappy job as much as people complain. Should he have won more, of cource but we could be back in the tubby and Billy days. UK will never get a good draw in the NCAA tournament so it makes it that much harder. Is coach cal the best XOs coach proabaly not but he has done more for these program then any other coach except Rupp and if he could win a few more he will not be far behind. Be happy with what you have because the next coach will most likely not be that good

Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio

And I'm so tired of crybabies that think UK basketball OWES them something other than effort. Cal and Hagans are as well.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
It is absurd. When Cal was at Memphis, every fan base, including ours, called Cal a sleazy salesman. Maybe he's not sleazy, but he's quite the salesman. He's got tons of pumpers believing there's some magic formula that will turn things around come March. There's not.

You're right. He turned it around in December. :flush:

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Data? What data? Even the games we win we look like garbage. College basketball is supposed to be FUN to watch. This isn’t fun to watch and if you think it is, you’re just wrong

I guess the majority of our fanbase is wrong, then. Yet another whiney, crybaby, ignorant post.

We use to be a VIP and had a reserved table at a fancy restaurant. The waiter would bring us a fine wine and ask if we wanted the usual. Now we just get to be first in line at the Golden Corral all you can eat buffet.

Coach Cal is heading for his 4th straight year of no Final Fours. With 3 of the 4 very poor results (unless they turn this season around). He also is on the verge of losing 9 or more games in 5 of the last 7 seasons. That is the kind of stuff that got Tubby ran out of town.

Good thing cal has a bigger sack that some of our "fans".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT