ADVERTISEMENT

So the boosters are ok with Drew being the guy?

Well… this MIGHT happen if Drew is the selection, but certainly not a guarantee. I wouldn’t rely on this as the silver lining of the deal. Edgecombe could easily just reopen his recruitment, or stick with Baylor regardless.
Edgecombe committed to Drew and his staff. Why would he re-open his recruitment?

Edgecombe committed to Drew and his staff. Why would he re-open his recruitment?
If I had to bet money, sure I’d guess Edgecombe will follow. Just trying to temper expectations surrounding a coaching hire that not everyone may be totally excited about. Would be a bit of a gut punch for some if we hire Drew, and then find out we don’t get Edgecombe to sweeten the deal.

Karter Knox committed to Cal, but supposedly has “reopened” his recruitment.

Jayden Quaintance is supposedly looking at sticking with UK.

Sure the circumstances with those examples may change, but Edgecombe isn’t necessarily guaranteed to wear a UK Jersey at this point.

If I had to bet money, sure I’d guess Edgecombe will follow. Just trying to temper expectations surrounding a coaching hire that not everyone may be totally excited about. Would be a bit of a gut punch for some if we hire Drew, and then find out we don’t get Edgecombe to sweeten the deal.

Karter Knox committed to Cal, but supposedly has “reopened” his recruitment.

Jayden Quaintance is supposedly looking at sticking with UK.

Sure the circumstances with those examples may change, but Edgecombe isn’t necessarily guaranteed to wear a UK Jersey at this point.
I agree with your point. But I think Edgecombe will follow. JMO. The baylor brand is different than the UK brand that JQ is waiting on.

If you look back at our history, we are on the Hall/Tubby line of hires.

Great: Rupp, Pitino, Cal
Good: Hall, Tubby, ??
Drunk: Sutton, Gillispie, ??
The Cal hire was only great the first 5 years, though.

He's leaving the program worse than he found it aver 10 years of mediocrity and worse.

The only thing that excites me for Drew is VJ Edgecomb coming. That's literally it.

My gut feeling says Drew is Tubby 2.0.

Will get us to the tournament every year. Maybe a final four or 2.

That may be it.

I don't know. If Drew comes. I need to see it for a few years for him to grow on me.
Tubby 2.0 I hope so because he can Coach, he can recruit, and should win a Title here also

Who are these boosters? I keep hearing about the. boosters and I don’t know a single relevant booster besides Joe Craft.
Kinda sad to think about it that way. I’m sure there are some big boosters, but we have to have one if the least public and open groups of boosters out there. Seems like most every other school has at least some major corporate backing and a number of high profile boosters. We just don’t have that. Not sure why that is.

I just don’t understand the reasoning. We would have been better off getting somebody that has never coached the game and paying them nothing to say for a good coach that can win a title. This is trading Calipari for Calipari. It makes absolutely no sense. It’s a complete lateral move. If it were my pockets giving up millions, I sure the hell wouldn’t agree to this.

I prefer Donovan, but will be happy with either of the 3. I believe that Donovan would kill it here. He will have no trouble bringing in talent through the portal and recruiting. He can sell his sucess at the college level and his 10 years of NBA experience. Best of all, I think he would stay at UK until he retires.
My only problem with him is, how will you get a roster together without him resigning from the bulls. If he wants to coach here IMO he will need to start recruiting and building a staff and roster immediately. If he wants to finish the year with the bulls, it could be a devastating start for him!

I made this in another post... this is an alternative take on it...

If we go the traditional route...

Great = Rupp
Good = Hall
Drunk = Sutton
-
Great = Pitino
Good = Tubby
Drunk = Gilispie
-
Great = Calipari
Good = ???? ( Drew would fit this cycle )

But hold up!!!!!

In a weird way, Calipari's entire tenure went through that cycle.

Great Cal = 2009-2015
Good Cal = 2016-2020
Drunk Lazy Cal = 2021-2024

If the latter is true... come on down Dan Hurley!
Why are we putting Drew in any category before he’s ever coached a game here?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT