ADVERTISEMENT

So now NBA guys are saying Diallo should return

I think he's coming back. Always thought this. Just doesn't make sense to go this year when he could be a lotto pick next year, most likely. He would be our leader in the backcourt and be able to compete for a national title with all his buddies. The potential to make history with such a young team has to have an influence, IMO.

Reactions: oldlewisville99
I don't think anyone knows at this point...sounds like he's a late first rounder. Make $$$ now or come back to U.K. and potentially be a lottery pick.

Well if this is truly how the NBA guys feel then none of them should be making guarantees to him before the deadline.

Reactions: Brando Mac
I hope he listens to Cal's advice because he has proven to be honest about a player's best interest.Who knows about other people who may just want money and tell him what he wants to hear.

has to decide by May 24th correct?

Also - for mock drafts, Draft Express has proven to be the absolute best predictor. Stop looking at Sports Nation, NBC, Bleacher Report, ESPN, etc... Even though Draft Express is run by a Florida guy who hates UK, he does the best job by far.

You get quotes like this every year.

Then they take Thon Maker 10th overall. Or take Freshmen with 10 of the top 17 picks, like 2015. They draft Emmanuel Mudiay 7th, and Terrance Ferguson is projected in the 1st round this year. There's ample evidence that actual game tape on a player is far more likely to hurt than help, and that most teams are willing to take guys based on potential and physical ability.

Last edited:
You get quotes like this every year.

Then they take Thon Maker 10th overall. Or take Freshmen with 10 of the top 17 picks, like 2015. They draft Emmanuel Mudiay 7th, and Terrence Ferguson is projected in the 1st round this year. There's ample evidence that actual game tape on a player is far more likely to hurt than help, and that most teams are willing to take guys based on potential and physical ability.

dont doubt that....but as some of the mock draft guys indicated recently....the amount of movement of guys "rising" and "falling" hyped up by some outlets is absurd. just a way to get clicks.

Guaranteed money is always tempting and the idea of injury is always lingering in the back of their head so I understand if he stays in and wouldn't blame him at all...but I hope he understands that he can help his branding by playing a year at UK and getting ridiculous exposure. Not only would he improve his draft stock, but I guarantee he will make more in endorsements as well. Either way I wish him the best.

At this point, if he does come back for most of everyone's sake on this board I hope he's not another Archie Goodwin. All of us talk about how good he is, but just like all the NBA execs, none of us know. The only people, right now, that know how good he is or isn't are the people in the gym with him day in and day out. WE all thought that Skal was going to be a monster for us as well. We all were praising SKJ at the beginning of last year. I hope he comes back and is as good as promised, but I am not going to say, wow he would have helped us out last year, because I never saw him play, or I'm not going to say, he needs to stay and be a lotto pick next year, when I've never seen him play. We all would have said Briscoe would be lotto before his freshman year too.

At this point, if he does come back for most of everyone's sake on this board I hope he's not another Archie Goodwin. All of us talk about how good he is, but just like all the NBA execs, none of us know. The only people, right now, that know how good he is or isn't are the people in the gym with him day in and day out. WE all thought that Skal was going to be a monster for us as well. We all were praising SKJ at the beginning of last year. I hope he comes back and is as good as promised, but I am not going to say, wow he would have helped us out last year, because I never saw him play, or I'm not going to say, he needs to stay and be a lotto pick next year, when I've never seen him play. We all would have said Briscoe would be lotto before his freshman year too.
I'd add Archie Goodwin to the roster in a heart beat, kid got a bad rap because he was stuck on a team with no PG.

Archie was the only player who gave a flying F about that Robert Morris game and did everything he could to prevent that disaster.

Don't hate on Archie, he was a good player stuck on a shitty team.

Last edited:

He doesn't have to be captain America and iron man and Thor all into one. He's just another avenger who needs to play his role sorry guys saw Guardians 2 and on a nerd kick lol.

He doesn't have to be captain America and iron man and Thor all into one. He's just another avenger who needs to play his role sorry guys saw Guardians 2 and on a nerd kick lol.

I understand that, but most are building him up as Hulk, when he may come in and be Bruce Banner.

Please Please Please I hope he announces he's coming back and then Bamba, almost immediatlely, announces he's coming. The haters would EXPLODE. It will be worse than ever before. Please, let this happen! OR he stays in the draft, Cam comes and Bamba comes.

I understand that, but most are building him up as Hulk, when he may come in and be Bruce Banner.

He will help the team. If he's not good enough to start at sg so be it. He will be fine. People may here overreact about everything as we know .

Our hands were tied with Archie, as we had nobody to put in the game in his place. If Diallo returns, he plays Cal's way or no way as we have options.

I would highly advise against attending Diallo's first basketball game, regardless if it's NBA or UK. Something in my heart is telling me that soon after he steps on the court for the first time that this is going to happen....

d5881ac7ac0bca9b4d84ef62960a308f_men-in-black-7-8-shooting-mib-bug-gif_320-180.gif

He really just has to make the decision on if he wants to go late first round this year or come back and try to go lottery next year. Right now he is projected in the 20-45 range. He will work out at the combine and then workout for some individual teams and get feedback. If he kills it in his workouts he could move up, if he doesn't wow them he may drop. A team could take a chance on him either way due to his elite measurements and athleticism. The NBA guys say he should go back because once you get into the late first round there are no certainties. I think he comes back in the end.

I would be cautious in placing a lot of expectations on Diallo if he does come back to UK for next season. It is concerning when NBA scouts are talking about Diallo possibly being "exposed" with a year of college.

I know all these freshmen have a lot of development that needs to occur before they can play with NBA players, or even be considered among the best college players. But it sounds like many think Diallo's game needs more development than most top prospects.

Is it possible that Diallo is an even more athletic, but slightly less skilled Archie Goodwin? And I don't mean that as a knock. Archie Goodwin was a very good freshman player - who I think would have likely been a superstar college player if he had stayed 3 years.

Reactions: LXA_chop
Please Please Please I hope he announces he's coming back and then Bamba, almost immediatlely, announces he's coming. The haters would EXPLODE. It will be worse than ever before. Please, let this happen! OR he stays in the draft, Cam comes and Bamba comes.
You mean the haters on this board who trashed the kid for doing exactly what he said he would do?

Guaranteed money is always tempting and the idea of injury is always lingering in the back of their head so I understand if he stays in and wouldn't blame him at all...but I hope he understands that he can help his branding by playing a year at UK and getting ridiculous exposure. Not only would he improve his draft stock, but I guarantee he will make more in endorsements as well. Either way I wish him the best.
You can always insure against injury.

I'd add Archie Goodwin to the roster in a heart beat, kid got a bad rap because he was stuck on a team with no PG.

Archie was the only player who gave a flying F about that Robert Morris game and did everything he could to prevent that disaster.

Don't hate on Archie, he was a good player stuck on a shitty team.

You saw a different player than i did, Archie was not a good player or teammate, he was selfish and had the worst plus/minus since Cal has been here

ADVERTISEMENT