ADVERTISEMENT

Imagine If The Guys Who Should/Could Return...Do So?

KA4Prez

All-American
Dec 8, 2003
Columbus, OH
Wagner
Edwards
Bradshaw
Thiero
Burks
Onyenso
Ivisic

Add Sheppard, for "other reasons?"

It would never happen. There won't be enough spots, given UK may have 6-7 new recruits plus the portal. But, it's not like all of these guys are locks to go.

I expect a similar or worse record next regardless of who comes back.

This team is honestly loaded. And here we looking at a 4 or 5 seed in our own conference tourney. And likely not better than a 4 in the tournament. We'd have to have an NBA All Star team to be a top contender with as little coaching as the team gets.

Last edited:
All won’t happen!
But I bet half of those 8 return.
Maybe they all leave but, I am guessing one of the bigs stay. I am taking a stab and saying its "Onyenso". I am also guessing we keep
Thiero, Burks and yes, Reed. That could be the 4 to go along with Boogie, Quaintance, Somto, Richmond and Perry. I expect Knox and a transfer or two to also join the team. Joey Hart is gone I am guessing. Burks should see a lot of time next year.
If Bradshaw stays, we lose one of Burks , Onyenso and to a lesser extent, Thiero.

Not a chance Cal would allow it. He has to keep that rotating door going so he can use his same old tired excuses every year.
Cal would let every single player on this team return if they wanted to. He said in an interview the other day there are multiple freshmen on this team that need another year, but ultimately it's their decision. He's said before he supports the players in whatever decision they make. If he thinks they should return but they leave he'll still support them, and many here confuse that for pushing them out the door.

Thiero is the only one I feel pretty confident that they will return.

Bradshaw needs to return and add some weight.

If Bradshaw comes back, I don’t see Onyenso returning, not with Quaintance and Cyril also on the roster. That’s probably too many bodies inside.

So I figure it’s an either/or situation with Bradshaw and Onyenso.

Maybe they all leave but, I am guessing one of the bigs stay. I am taking a stab and saying its "Onyenso". I am also guessing we keep
Thiero, Burks and yes, Reed. That could be the 4 to go along with Boogie, Quaintance, Somto, Richmond and Perry. I expect Knox and a transfer or two to also join the team. Joey Hart is gone I am guessing. Burks should see a lot of time next year.

If Bradshaw stays, we lose one of Burks , Onyenso and to a lesser extent, Thiero.
That’s a lot to unpack, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Thiero is the only one I feel pretty confident that they will return.

Bradshaw needs to return and add some weight.

If Bradshaw comes back, I don’t see Onyenso returning, not with Quaintance and Cyril also on the roster. That’s probably too many bodies inside.

So I figure it’s an either/or situation with Bradshaw and Onyenso.
Ivisic is a maybe for me now where he was somebody I considered gone. But I agree on the others, Sheppard, Wagner, Edwards are all gone. Ugo is a maybe and Bradshaw is one I have no clue what he does. Theiro is honestly the only one I can say with even a little confidence I see back

Cal would let every single player on this team return if they wanted to. He said in an interview the other day there are multiple freshmen on this team that need another year, but ultimately it's their decision. He's said before he supports the players in whatever decision they make. If he thinks they should return but they leave he'll still support them, and many here confuse that for pushing them out the door.
This is just not true lol he’s pushed several lottery picks right out the door: Wall, Cousins, Monk, Fox, Bam, just to name a few.

I think the same 4 as you, except Bradshaw instead of Onyenso.

This is just not true lol he’s pushed several lottery picks right out the door: Wall, Cousins, Monk, Fox, Bam, just to name a few.
Every player you listed (I think you named all of them except Ulis) had nothing left to prove at college level. I think Rob is the only one on this team like that. Many say Reed too, but I think he needs to show can become quicker or stronger to play against grownass men.

He’s also welcomed back many who could have been drafted including Jones, Lamb, Poythress, WCS and a few others. AND he has wanted back or thought best they return several including Orton, Dakari, twins and others.

Every player you listed (I think you named all of them except Ulis) had nothing left to prove at college level. I think Rob is the only one on this team like that. Many say Reed too, but I think he needs to show can become quicker or stronger to play against grownass men.

He’s also welcomed back many who could have been drafted including Jones, Lamb, Poythress, WCS and a few others. AND he has wanted back or thought best they return several including Orton, Dakari, twins and others.
Despite not having anything to prove, maybe they wanted to enjoy college life a little longer before going to the meat grinder. You get 4 years to enjoy college life before beginning your career and once it begins there is no going back. If he is going to support a players decision to leave that should stay he should also support a players decision to stay that is ready to leave (in terms of ability). Believe it or not, at one time not that many years ago, most college players played all 4 years, with some leaving after 3 with few to none leaving after 1 or 2 years. Players are still playing multiple years of college ball, it’s just become the anomaly in Lexington now instead of the norm.

Cal's ruined the culture of retention here. It was fine when we were landing guys like Wall, Fox, Murray, and Davis. You lose those guys and everyone understands. Even losing guys like Dillingham makes sense.

But when you lose guys like Wagner, Boston, Montgomery, Gabriel, Edwards, etc. - guys who chose the 2nd round or undrafted over returning to Kentucky? That completely destroys any program momentum you're building, and it's precisely why we've been a middle of the pack SEC team the last four years.

Kinda seems like the right move, no? With so many talented guys on this roster and not enough minutes to go around I can see some coming back to improve draft stock.

Cal's ruined the culture of retention here. It was fine when we were landing guys like Wall, Fox, Murray, and Davis. You lose those guys and everyone understands. Even losing guys like Dillingham makes sense.

But when you lose guys like Wagner, Boston, Montgomery, Gabriel, Edwards, etc. - guys who chose the 2nd round or undrafted over returning to Kentucky? That completely destroys any program momentum you're building, and it's precisely why we've been a middle of the pack SEC team the last four years.
Plus most of the ones that don't go to the draft transfer. They know their shot at Kentucky is pretty much over after one year for the most part.

Plus most of the ones that don't go to the draft transfer. They know their shot at Kentucky is pretty much over after one year for the most part.
Some kids get recruited over. DJ and Bradshaw would start and play 30+ minutes next year. They aren’t leaving for fear of not playing. They just wanna be in the league.

just because they might return does not mean they would be any better than they are right now
There are n ver guarantees. But typically the biggest improvement in players is from their FR to Soph year.

Despite not having anything to prove, maybe they wanted to enjoy college life a little longer before going to the meat grinder. You get 4 years to enjoy college life before beginning your career and once it begins there is no going back. If he is going to support a players decision to leave that should stay he should also support a players decision to stay that is ready to leave (in terms of ability). Believe it or not, at one time not that many years ago, most college players played all 4 years, with some leaving after 3 with few to none leaving after 1 or 2 years. Players are still playing multiple years of college ball, it’s just become the anomaly in Lexington now instead of the norm.
I have been the only one saying that about Reed in nearly every related thread. That one of several reasons why Reed may return is that he’s still a kid, and he and his parents may want him to get more than 1 year of the college experience like his parents did. That once you leave you must live as an adult, no going back.

That is actually a false statement
OK - a lot of them leave anyway. Maybe it's not most. I think it's a combination of knowing the new guys will get the minutes and then also knowing they aren't getting adequate development here.

OK lets play the game IF they came back :

Sheppard / Fland / Perry
Wagner / Richmond / Sheppard (some)
Theiro / Burks / Richmond (he is physical and not a great shooter)
Edwards / Theiro / Quaintance / Somto
Ivisic / Bradshaw / Onyenso / Cyril

A little thin at the 2 with true shooters, not in great shape at the 3. Theiro can shoot some and slash, I think Richmond would be better at the 3, than shooting guard which is why we would be really thin at the 2.

Small ball :
Fland
Sheppard
Wagner
Edwards
Z
Or
Sheppard
Wagner
Richmond
Edwards / Theiro
Z

Both Wagner and Edwards are starting to really come around with shooting, and will only improve. Love having a bulldog like Richmond at the 3, he is big 2, 6'6 and plays stronger than his weight. Add some pounds and he would be a really solid SF. If he can get his shooting up, he would be a beast at the 2 being 6'6.

But all of them are not coming back, but it is kind of fun with the what ifs. Quaintance and Cyril did not not come here to be 3rd string. Same as Onyenso and Bradshaw, they are not going to be third option, not as returning players.

Wagner
Edwards
Bradshaw
Thiero
Burks
Onyenso
Ivisic

Add Sheppard, for "other reasons?"

It would never happen. There won't be enough spots, given UK may have 6-7 new recruits plus the portal. But, it's not like all of these guys are locks to go.

Everybody should imagine what it would be like if we didn't have CCC as our coach and we didn't have to have to have this conversation every year.

RDF said Somoto Cyril won't be coming to UK if we have too many returnees in the post.

Everybody should imagine what it would be like if we didn't have CCC as our coach and we didn't have to have to have this conversation every year.
Part of your statement is just ignorant.

Not the part complaining about our coach.
But about not having to have this conversation every year. Do you know how to do that? Have sucky players who aren't good enough to even be delusional about playing in the NBA. Do you want that? I didn't think so.

And now with the Transfer Portal, I'm not sure ANY SCHOOL is immune to transfers. If players are good enough, they want to be professionals, if they aren't good enough they think it's the coaches or the situation or the talent they are stuck behind, any of which causing them to want to transfer out.

RDF said Somoto Cyril won't be coming to UK if we have too many returnees in the post.
Of course he wouldn't. That would be dumb on his part. But there is no way all 3 7-footers return. Odds are at least 1 thinks he will go play in the G-league or might make a NBA roster. But they can all 3 divide 40 by 3 and know that's not what they want. And honestly I seriously doubt even 2 return. But I do expect 1 to return. Which one, IDK. If I had to put odds on it I would go 40% Bradshaw, 30% Z, 30% Onyenso.
And I bet Cyril would be ok with 1. I doubt he would be ok with 2, and am certain he wouldn't be ok with 3. But we shouldn't cater to him or any recruit.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I think it’s possible that Sheppard returns because he is in a unique situation. His family isn’t stuck in generational poverty. He did not come here to be OAD. He loves playing at UK and he is guided by two college grad parents who aren’t likely in any hurry to see him leave the Bluegrass. And he can make some really good money with NIL and not have to leave home just yet.

Now whether he goes pro or not is still up in the air.

If we stays, we got a good shot at a title next season.

I think we get Thiero, Burks, and one of Bradshaw or Onyenso back.

Fingers crossed we add Jasper Johnson.

G Sheppard/Fland
G Johnson/Perry
G Thiero/Richmond
F Quaintance/Burks
F Bradshaw/Cyril

Maybe add a portal guy, especially if Johnson goes elsewhere and/or Sheppard leaves.

No Sheppard, no way we win a title, he’s the key next season, IMHO.

Reactions: JonathanW
I think it’s possible that Sheppard returns because he is in a unique situation. His family isn’t stuck in generational poverty. He did not come here to be OAD. He loves playing at UK and he is guided by two college grad parents who aren’t likely in any hurry to see him leave the Bluegrass. And he can make some really good money with NIL and not have to leave home just yet.

G Sheppard/Fland
G Johnson/Perry
G Thiero/Richmond
F Quaintance/Burks
F Bradshaw/Cyril

Maybe add a portal guy, especially if Johnson goes elsewhere and/or Sheppard leaves.

Buddy Reed is gone, for one he won’t turn down being a top 10 pick and Cal will not allow him to return

Buddy Reed is gone, for one he won’t turn down being a top 10 pick and Cal will not allow him to return
Maybe. It’s a big possibility.

But I don’t know.

And you don’t know.

Jeff even said he doesn’t know because Reed hasn’t made a decision.

I am holding out a sliver of hope (though it’s thin) because this isn’t your typical OAD scenario.

And like I said, if Sheppard is gone, our shot at winning a title is gone.

Reactions: JonathanW

G Sheppard/Fland
G Johnson/Perry
G Thiero/Richmond
F Quaintance/Burks
F Bradshaw/Cyril

Which of our players are stuck in generational poverty?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT