ADVERTISEMENT

Imagine If The Guys Who Should/Could Return...Do So?

Buddy Reed is gone, for one he won’t turn down being a top 10 pick and Cal will not allow him to return
Buddy, there’s more to it than being a top 10 pick. The goal is to maximize your career earnings, not to get started earning as fast as you can. Even as a top 10 pick, physically he would get abused in the NBA at this point, delaying his development and likely shrinking the odds of maximizing his 2nd contract (the one that is life-changing).
He needs to get stronger and improve his lateral quickness, and get better at creating his own shot when they are focused on stoping him.

I’m not saying he won’t leave, I’m saying it is far from any level of certainty that he leaves. Anyone saying for certain at this point that he is leaving (or staying) is just a blowhard trying to look smart.

Which of our players are stuck in generational poverty?
That is a phrase I have used many times talking about why Reed might return (and also this applies to Wagner, maybe some others). None of us know the exact details of that issue on players (families), nor should we, but we have a decent idea on many players. Many athletes talk about wanting to buy their mom a house, or make it so their mom or parents won’t have to work 2 jobs.
So can we with certainty name players, no. But the general perception is that half or more NBA/NFL players do come from that socio-economic background.

Wagner
Edwards
Bradshaw
Thiero
Burks
Onyenso
Ivisic

Add Sheppard, for "other reasons?"

It would never happen. There won't be enough spots, given UK may have 6-7 new recruits plus the portal. But, it's not like all of these guys are locks to go.
In reality every one of them should come back.

Buddy, there’s more to it than being a top 10 pick. The goal is to maximize your career earnings, not to get started earning as fast as you can. Even as a top 10 pick, physically he would get abused in the NBA at this point, delaying his development and likely shrinking the odds of maximizing his 2nd contract (the one that is life-changing).
He needs to get stronger and improve his lateral quickness, and get better at creating his own shot when they are focused on stoping him.

I’m not saying he won’t leave, I’m saying it is far from any level of certainty that he leaves. Anyone saying for certain at this point that he is leaving (or staying) is just a blowhard trying to look smart.
Honestly salaries are so high now even one contract is life changing. Even the #10 pick starts out around 7.5 million a year and goes to about 9 million by the 4th year. You are talking about 30 million bucks assuming no other contract and whatever off court deals you get as well. Smart money management would have your kids set well after you die and theirs if they don’t blow it. Sheppard is projected at number 5 and there is no way anyone in the program nor his family ever expected him to get that high. It’s so high that I don’t see a way to pass it up assuming it sticks after the combine.

I think Bradshaw will be gone because of the bruisers we have coming in next year but he will be a 2nd round
pick or undrafted. Edwards may return because he will not get drafted. Shep may return along with Thiero, Burks, Onyenso, and Harte. Big Z is gone. Wagner will be a 2nd round pick and will likely be gone but his return in not nuts.

Dilly and Big Z are the only locks to be gone.

Buddy Reed is gone, for one he won’t turn down being a top 10 pick and Cal will not allow him to return
Well Brady who post in GYERO, said they have an NIL deal in place for Sheppard, and he was coming back. Brady does a lot of things UK related, I have read his post over the years and no reason to doubt him. Now, Sheppard may decide he wants to go but a HUGE deal is in place. TIFWIW, just relaying what was said by him.

• Love
Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
I think Bradshaw will be gone because of the bruisers we have coming in next year but he will be a 2nd round
pick or undrafted. Edwards may return because he will not get drafted. Shep may return along with Thiero, Burks, Onyenso, and Harte. Big Z is gone. Wagner will be a 2nd round pick and will likely be gone but his return in not nuts.

Dilly and Big Z are the only locks to be gone.
I think there is a bigger chance Z comes back than you would believe. Another year in college would do him wonders. Everybody talks about Edwards, Bradshaw, and Wagner is not ready and needs a second year. Well it is especially true for Z as he has missed so much time.
In your opinion, what makes you so sure Z is gone ? Honest question, and curious to know.

I think there is a bigger chance Z comes back than you would believe. Another year in college would do him wonders. Everybody talks about Edwards, Bradshaw, and Wagner is not ready and needs a second year. Well it is especially true for Z as he has missed so much time.
In your opinion, what makes you so sure Z is gone ? Honest question, and curious to know.
I also believe there’s a big chance Z returns. He seems to really love it here for one the other one is I read somewhere that he is already attempted the draft twice and that you only get three tries ? So if there’s any question that he might get passed by he could come back.

If he ends the season very strong and is a projected lottery pick then yes, he probably is gone.

First off, money is only one of the factors in this decision. Sheppard has turned down NIL deals this season. That tells you he isn’t concerned about money. His family is wealthy already.

But money is a factor.

But think about this, the cost of living in the average NBA city is higher than the cost of living in Kentucky.

Sheppard could make a lot less in NIL and stay in Kentucky and still net almost as much as he could as a NBA rookie.

So there is a more to consider than just raw dollars.

10 million in Los Angeles is not as much as 10 million in Kentucky.

He's a 7'2" guy who can pass and shoot. He is just what the NBA loves. None of them are ready for the NBA as few are but Z only needs to add strength; the skills are already there(for his size).

Which of our players are stuck in generational poverty?
The black ones. You couldn’t see his intention in the post?

I mean we all know the DJ and Bradshaw types are struggling with that grind and wondered where their next meal came from haha!

The black ones. You couldn’t see his intention in the post?

I mean we all know the DJ and Bradshaw types are struggling with that grind and wondered where their next meal came from haha!
Don’t accuse someone of racism just because they use certain words. Makes you sound racist.

Reactions: kyboy1998
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT