ADVERTISEMENT

So now NBA guys are saying Diallo should return

You saw a different player than i did, Archie was not a good player or teammate, he was selfish and had the worst plus/minus since Cal has been here
Who was Archie supposed to pass it to? I would guess that entire roster had the worst plus/minus of the Cal era because they lost a ton of games and weren't very good.

Archie played the most minutes, therefore had the worst plus/minus. Was he flawless? God no, he was frustrating as hell but he played his ass off and did nothing for anyone to say he was bad teammate.

You saw a different player than i did, Archie was not a good player or teammate, he was selfish and had the worst plus/minus since Cal has been here
He's still in the league. Archie gave it his all you should redirect all your hate to the point guard who left his team out to dry and forced Archie to play with the ball instead of off the ball

Reactions: Pygmy Sasquatch
what soap opera?
Agree. It's not a soap opera. Diallo hasn't been the one making this complicated. It reminds me of the Brett Favre retirement/unretirement thing. He retired once because Green Bay was ready to move on. And then decided he wasn't ready to move on himself and came back. Every year after that was just the media making it bigger than it was and speculating.

That's all this is; media and fan speculation leading to a back and forth.

No kidding. I mean, would any of us stay in school? No chance....

I don't think that's true. I've seen many members say they are UK 1st and not NBA 1st. I'm sure all the members on this board who say that would definitely turn down millions of dollars if they were offered it to play another season for Kentucky.

If 2013 had two Archie Goodwin's instead of one, they're a Sweet 16 team, further with a healthy Nerlens. We just had no one who could create besides him, or defend the perimeter.

If you can clone a player and get miles better, that player isn't the problem.

Reactions: BlueSince92
Yep, I read the report, and I agree with the assessment that he should return to UK in order to maximize both his basketball and his earnings potential to get his career off to its best possible start. If he goes now, regardless of where someone is willing to draft him, it won't be as good a position as he would be in next year.

Now, if you think I'm getting my hopes up that he's returning, I'm not. If we've learned anything, it's this. Attempting to predict the decisions of 18 and 19 year-old athletes and then staking anything on those predictions is an exercise in futility. As others have said, we will know in 2 weeks. I would love it if he would let us know sooner, but I'm not holding my breath there, either.

Bottom line: Another day, another article. Anyone riding this wave of "news" and opinions is probably about ready to blow chunks about now. I won't subject myself to hanging on every word and every article.

I'm starting to think he would have hired an agent by now if he was staying in. He's losing money for starters by not having an agent. Plus he could ge getting invaluable guidance by having an agent help guide him through the process. I think he's just following the plan laid out from the time he enrolled. That's to practice against the best in the country daily for six months earlier than he had planned, get coached by the best daily for six months earlier than planned, go to the combine and pro days and all that and gather all the feedback possible to see where the league and teams think he needs to improve then come back and play the year he had planned knowing better where his perceived weaknesses are and what parts of his game needs work. Seems to me like this is what Cal laid out for him and the path he suggested since before he enrolled.

Reactions: IL Wildcat

Terrible take. Most the flaws on that team were not Archie's fault. He was asked to try to do it all so he did. Was he perfect? Absolutely not. Was he frustrating to watch sometimes? Absolutely. But he gave effort. I applaud him

He was the worst plus/minus because he was asked to do the most in the most minutes. Plus/minus is an excellent tool, but not in every case

https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/kentucky-nba-draft-2017-hamidou-diallo-scouts-decision

“Right now, he’s a D-League player,” said one scout

someone with a D-League team, the perfect situation, maybe a playoff team that can let him develop — otherwise, it’s probably in his best interest to come back and work on his shooting and get bigger and stronger.”

“He’s a crapshoot,” said another scout. “I don’t know how you pick him. He’s got to come into a workout and really dazzle you, and then maybe you pick him in the middle to bottom of the second round. But there’s just not enough of a sample size to make a good, educated decision on him.”

“Can I say he’s a sure-fire NBA player?” the scout said. “No way.”

One NBA observer who saw Diallo play in high school and watched him practice at Kentucky — against McDonald’s All-American guards De’Aaron Fox, Malik Monk and Isaiah Briscoe, two of whom are likely top-10 picks — is unconvinced he’s ready to make the jump.

“There aren’t a lot of guys like him in this draft,” one scout said. “To find an athletic scoring guard like that in the draft, it’s probably worth taking a serious look.”

https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/kentucky-nba-draft-2017-hamidou-diallo-scouts-decision

someone with a D-League team, the perfect situation, maybe a playoff team that can let him develop — otherwise, it’s probably in his best interest to come back and work on his shooting and get bigger and stronger.”

“He’s a crapshoot,” said another scout. “I don’t know how you pick him. He’s got to come into a workout and really dazzle you, and then maybe you pick him in the middle to bottom of the second round. But there’s just not enough of a sample size to make a good, educated decision on him.”

One NBA observer who saw Diallo play in high school and watched him practice at Kentucky — against McDonald’s All-American guards De’Aaron Fox, Malik Monk and Isaiah Briscoe, two of whom are likely top-10 picks — is unconvinced he’s ready to make the jump.

“There aren’t a lot of guys like him in this draft,” one scout said. “To find an athletic scoring guard like that in the draft, it’s probably worth taking a serious look.”

So basically they're all over the place? He should come back, but he's rare and worth a serious look, but he may not be a sure-fire NBA player, but a team in the right situation should probably take him?

Can't imagine how these kids end up making bad decisions.

Reactions: JFCats22 and Mike-D
I get what everyone is saying. If he is worried about the money and making more money right out of the gate, he should return and be a lottery pick next year. If he just wants to leave and be drafted towards the end of the first round, he should go. Almost all of your earnings comes from your 2nd contract anyways.

If I was a team like Cle/GS/SA/Hou etc. that is a legit playoff team, they should undoubtedly take him towards the end of the first round. Doesn't make sense to pass on him late in the first this year if you think the following year he is going to be a lottery pick. You are essentially stealing a future lottery pick a year early. If he can contribute year 1, then that is just an added bonus. If he needs to go sit a year and develop, then you have your lottery pick a year early that you would have never been able to get anyways.

If that makes sense. Looking at it from the perspective of an established, good team taking him that would have no shot at him in the following draft.

I get what everyone is saying. If he is worried about the money and making more money right out of the gate, he should return and be a lottery pick next year. If he just wants to leave and be drafted towards the end of the first round, he should go. Almost all of your earnings comes from your 2nd contract anyways.

If I was a team like Cle/GS/SA/Hou etc. that is a legit playoff team, they should undoubtedly take him towards the end of the first round. Doesn't make sense to pass on him late in the first this year if you think the following year he is going to be a lottery pick. You are essentially stealing a future lottery pick a year early. If he can contribute year 1, then that is just an added bonus. If he needs to go sit a year and develop, then you have your lottery pick a year early that you would have never been able to get anyways.

If that makes sense. Looking at it from the perspective of an established, good team taking him that would have no shot at him in the following draft.

Two things, first the teams selecting at the end of the first round, unless they are from a trade, are really good teams. Those teams are looking for a player to help get them over the hump, not a hope and a prayer. Also those teams didn't become good by wasting draft picks.

The second is this, they are saying he could be lottery by fixing a couple of issues. There is no guarantee that he does that, in which case you get a guy that you could select at any point in the second round without getting locked into a contract. Those issues that were previously listed included shooting, effort and feel for the game. Now maybe some team buys that he can fix his shooting, but without watching him play, there would be no evidence that the other issues were even being worked on.

But curiosity killed the cat on multiple occasions, so some team might be just curious enough to take him at the end of the first round. However, I bet curiosity will only move him a couple spots or so. Hard to be that curios when there is a lot of proven talent in the class. Remember, the NBA virtually has their pick of college basketball this year, as virtually everybody declared, and I bet most stay in.

Two things, first the teams selecting at the end of the first round, unless they are from a trade, are really good teams. Those teams are looking for a player to help get them over the hump, not a hope and a prayer. Also those teams didn't become good by wasting draft picks.

The second is this, they are saying he could be lottery by fixing a couple of issues. There is no guarantee that he does that, in which case you get a guy that you could select at any point in the second round without getting locked into a contract. Those issues that were previously listed included shooting, effort and feel for the game. Now maybe some team buys that he can fix his shooting, but without watching him play, there would be no evidence that the other issues were even being worked on.

But curiosity killed the cat on multiple occasions, so some team might be just curious enough to take him at the end of the first round. However, I bet curiosity will only move him a couple spots or so. Hard to be that curios when there is a lot of proven talent in the class. Remember, the NBA virtually has their pick of college basketball this year, as virtually everybody declared, and I bet most stay in.
If you are Cle/GS, you have the ability to take more chances towards the end of the first round since you are head and shoulders above the competition right now. He is projected lottery next year, why not take a chance on him this year? Just doesn't make sense from a GM standpoint. He has the potential to go late fist round this year with more upside than any other prospect you would choose at the end of the first round. Seems like a no-brainer.

And teams that pick at the end of the draft aren't looking for guys to push them over the top. Not gonns happen unless you somehow find a diamond in the rough/late bloomer. If a team is looking for that one guy to make them a serious title contender they will acquire free agent/veterans to help push them over the top. I only say this because I have some knowledge of how these things work now from a friend who is part of an NBA staff. (Humble brag, lol)

If you are Cle/GS, you have the ability to take more chances towards the end of the first round since you are head and shoulders above the competition right now. He is projected lottery next year, why not take a chance on him this year? Just doesn't make sense from a GM standpoint. He has the potential to go late fist round this year with more upside than any other prospect you would choose at the end of the first round. Seems like a no-brainer.

And teams that pick at the end of the draft aren't looking for guys to push them over the top. Not gonns happen unless you somehow find a diamond in the rough/late bloomer. If a team is looking for that one guy to make them a serious title contender they will acquire free agent/veterans to help push them over the top. I only say this because I have some knowledge of how these things work now from a friend who is part of an NBA staff. (Humble brag, lol)

You don't necessarily take him just because he might be a lottery pick next year.

Not if you think the guys in front of him are better players. All drafts aren't created equal.

Harry Giles, Jawun Evans, Semi Ojeleye, Caleb Swanigan, and Bam Adebayo are projected at 27-31 by Draft Express.

4 proven commodities, and a fifth who was a freak of nature prior to injury.

Picking Diallo in front of those goes might be a brilliant move, or it might get you fired.

Someone is going to be disappointed with Harry Giles.

I never saw anything at Duke that made him 1st round worthy based on his agility.

No way he gets a guaranteed deal, which is why this draft is always a crapshoot with NBA execs.

I always state HD might be picked by a team with multiple #1s (Portland w/3), but he's got D-League written on him for maybe 2 years.

I have never seen him play one game so I am just going on what others say about him. Is this about the way NBA is ?

You get quotes like this every year.

Then they take Thon Maker 10th overall. Or take Freshmen with 10 of the top 17 picks, like 2015. They draft Emmanuel Mudiay 7th, and Terrance Ferguson is projected in the 1st round this year. There's ample evidence that actual game tape on a player is far more likely to hurt than help, and that most teams are willing to take guys based on potential and physical ability.

I agree. So much "disinformation" being put out at this time. No team wants the other to know what they are going to do, etc.

At this point, if he does come back for most of everyone's sake on this board I hope he's not another Archie Goodwin. All of us talk about how good he is, but just like all the NBA execs, none of us know. The only people, right now, that know how good he is or isn't are the people in the gym with him day in and day out. WE all thought that Skal was going to be a monster for us as well. We all were praising SKJ at the beginning of last year. I hope he comes back and is as good as promised, but I am not going to say, wow he would have helped us out last year, because I never saw him play, or I'm not going to say, he needs to stay and be a lotto pick next year, when I've never seen him play. We all would have said Briscoe would be lotto before his freshman year too.
Ive seen him play, he would have been a help this year IF he played to what ive seen him capable of doing. He did have some really good practices, he stuffed bam, ect. Id say he would a been third best player on our team and a big seperation between Fox, Monk, Dallio,Bam, from everyone else.

He is a prototypical Cal recruit, off the charts hopps, Athleticism , needs some work on his shot but he is capable.

If 2013 had two Archie Goodwin's instead of one, they're a Sweet 16 team, further with a healthy Nerlens. We just had no one who could create besides him, or defend the perimeter.

If you can clone a player and get miles better, that player isn't the problem.
Post Noel injury numbers:

Goodwin- 14.7 ppg, 47.5% shooting
Harrow- 10 ppg, 40 %
Wiltjer- 6.7 ppg, 28.2%
Poythress- 9.1 ppg, 57.9% (fouled out of 3 of the last 9 games, none in which he played more than 20 minutes)
Mays- 9.2 ppg, 34.3%

So yeah, Goodwin was clearly the problem. [eyeroll]

Ive seen him play, he would have been a help this year IF he played to what ive seen him capable of doing. He did have some really good practices, he stuffed bam, ect. Id say he would a been third best player on our team and a big seperation between Fox, Monk, Dallio,Bam, from everyone else.

He is a prototypical Cal recruit, off the charts hopps, Athleticism , needs some work on his shot but he is capable.

You saw him play in practice? Or are you sharing the stories coming out of practice and saw him play in HS?

Reactions: Jbapp1978

Sounds more like they are poor-mouthing him so they can grab him at a discount,

Reactions: MWes11
You saw him play in practice? Or are you sharing the stories coming out of practice and saw him play in HS?
ive seen full footage of AAU, Highschool games, not just highlights.
He is EXTREMELY explosive arond the rim he is 6'5.8 but he has a GIGANTIC wing span, his first step is elite quick, he has great overall quickness. He never shys away from contact, he takes it strong to the rim through contact.

His shot is not broken he actually has pretty good mechanics, gets good rotation. He is a high energy guy on defense and crashes offensive and defensive boards hard! He anticipates passing lanes well and his length and quickness give opponents a hard time. He would have done just fine last year but i dont make the decisions so we MIGHT never know.

At this point, if he does come back for most of everyone's sake on this board I hope he's not another Archie Goodwin. All of us talk about how good he is, but just like all the NBA execs, none of us know. The only people, right now, that know how good he is or isn't are the people in the gym with him day in and day out. WE all thought that Skal was going to be a monster for us as well. We all were praising SKJ at the beginning of last year. I hope he comes back and is as good as promised, but I am not going to say, wow he would have helped us out last year, because I never saw him play, or I'm not going to say, he needs to stay and be a lotto pick next year, when I've never seen him play. We all would have said Briscoe would be lotto before his freshman year too.

Our hands were tied with Archie, as we had nobody to put in the game in his place. If Diallo returns, he plays Cal's way or no way as we have options.

Some absolutely terrible basketball people in this thread.

Archie was by far our best player without a 2G and a PG - he tried to do too much but had no help.

He was top 2 in most categories, including assists, steals, and rebounds. Led the team in points with the highest FG% for guards (including Wiltjer).

I have heard Cal say how much he appreciated Archie along with other comments in a private setting. But you guys know more than everyone...

I would never accuse Goodwin of not caring, etc. that said I wish I had a nickel for every drive of his that missed ....badly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT