ADVERTISEMENT

So is Green gone then?

I'd rather Cal tell green he's his pg of the future and he's not going anywhere.

I bet dollars to donuts that conversation has not happened.

Losing green will be a big blow. We are bringing in 10-25 guys. It's a rinse and repeat cycle and we haven't learned.

Why would Cal tell Green he's his PG of the future. Green has the ability to be a good College PG but he doesn't have the can't miss abilities that you pass on other players with better abilities. Calipari is doing exactly what he needs to do in recruiting the best he can get and letting them battle it out for playing time. If a player is up to the challenge then there is the door.

Last edited:
Why would Cal tell he's his PG of the future. Green has the ability to be a good College PG but he doesn't have the can;t miss abilities that you pass on other players with better abilities. Calipari is doing exactly what he needs to do in recruiting the best he can get and letting them battle it out for playing time. If a player is up to the challenge then there is the door.

Mighty big talk.

Why would Cal tell he's his PG of the future. Green has the ability to be a good College PG but he doesn't have the can;t miss abilities that you pass on other players with better abilities. Calipari is doing exactly what he needs to do in recruiting the best he can get and letting them battle it out for playing time. If a player is up to the challenge then there is the door.
Green is not good enough to be a starter on a championship team bottom line. Cal obviously realizes that. Now Green is good enough to get some minutes, but he needs to realize his role.

Reactions: Bobcat94
Green is not good enough to be a starter on a championship team bottom line. Cal obviously realizes that. Now Green is good enough to get some minutes, but he needs to realize his role.
I agree about Green, but I also believe that you need a few guys to stay around for 3/4 years. No amount of talent can replace experience and maturity. Our problem now is that we can’t get good to average players to stay here. I can’t fault the kids for wanting to play, hence the transfers, but surely there is a way to mix it up a little

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
I haven't read all four pages of .posts but how do we not know that its not a first come, first serve deal with Hagans and everyone blowing it out of proportion

What writing is that? SGA is gone, and Diallo is probably gone. Hagans and Maxey are 2019 recruits. Baker has missed an entire year with a knee injury. I see no reason for Green to leave. His high school coach says they haven't discussed it. Regarding your speculation about Calipari's departure, let's call that what it is. Trolling.
Think he is referring to Green's departure

Nobody here should admit anything just because you believe something... seriously?

Why wouldnt Cal want a 4 year Green?

And we should try to recruit over every player we have every season if at all possible and encourage competition.

What kind of coach tells a kid its your team for 4 years i will never recruit a player at your spot that is better than you?

Im sure as hell glad he didnt do that with Willie when he signed Kat, or Alex when he signed Randle, etc etc etc....

This is KY we will always recruit the best we can.

I cant get even close to agreeing with you on any of this other than Green should have been playing point this past season.

Brian, you're referencing recruits from the class of '13 (Randle) and '14 (Towns), classes where Cal brought in immediate impact players of the highest level (as in, potential 1st Team All-Americans).

My question to you is this: do you think that type of recruiting has been featured in the last few classes? I'd make the case that it hasn't been, although obviously outstanding.

That being the case, until UK starts to recruit the John Wall/Anthony Davis-level players again (hasn't been the case in the '18, '17, '16, '15 classes), a guy like Green becomes very important because his level of play is not disproportionately different than an incoming guy like Hagans or Quickley.

Cal's best teams from November through March (2010, 2012, 2015, 2017) have also been his only teams to exceed 30 wins in a season. Let us not overlook what each of those teams had, outside of multiple elite freshmen: rotation veterans.

*Patterson/Miller/Liggins in 2010
*Miller/Lamb/Jones in 2012
*WCS/twins in 2015
* Briscoe/ Hawkins/Willis in 2017

Veterans matter. Losing Green would be a critical loss because it would once again force a collection of non-transcendent freshmen to carry the load in the backcourt. The shifting narratives seem to moving back toward a "it's fine" outlook because of some recent additions to the roster this week. It's only "fine" (authentically competing for titles) if UK either blends its roster with veterans or adds transcendent players. There is no other equation that has historically been proven to work - not in terms of actually competing from start to finish for a nation title.

Last edited:
Brian, you're referencing recruits from the class of '13 (Randle) and '14 (Towns), classes where Cal brought in immediate impact players of the highest level (as in, potential 1st Team All-Americans).

My question to you is this: do you think that type of recruiting has been featured in the last few classes? I'd make the case that it hasn't been, although obviously outstanding.

That being the case, until UK starts to recruit the John Wall/Anthony Davis-level players again (hasn't been the case in the '18, '17, '16, '15 classes), a guy like Green becomes very important because his level of play is not disproportionately different than an incoming guy like Hagans or Quickley.

Cal's best teams from November through March (2010, 2012, 2015, 2017) have also been his only teams to exceed 30 wins in a season. Let us not overlook what each of those teams had, outside of multiple elite freshmen: rotation veterans.

*Patterson/Miller/Liggins in 2010
*Miller/Lamb/Jones in 2012
*WCS/twins in 2015
* Briscoe/ Hawkins/Willis in 2017

Veterans matter. Losing Green would be a critical loss because it would once again force a collection of non-transcendent freshmen to carry the load. The shifting narratives seem to moving back toward a "it's fine" outlook because of some recent additions to the roster this week. It's only "fine" (authentically competing for titles) if UK either blends its roster with veterans or adds transcendent players. There is no other equation that has historically been proven to work - not in terms of actually competing from start to finish for a nation title.
So

Green helped his Pennsylvania high school team to four straight state championships. He's a winner through and through.

I just hate that the last memory UK fans will have of the kid is taking a horrible, falling away 3 pointer instead of running the designated play in the last game.

Reactions: JC43
What are you talking about? Quade Green was an elite 5 star PG and can absolutely be the starting PG on a championship team.

Jalen Brunson, Joel Berry, Ryan Arcidiacono, Tyus Jones, Shabazz Nappier, Peyton Siva, Marques Teague, and Jon Scheyer are good enough to be a starting pg on a national championship team, but Quade isn't? I call BS.

But the nba has nothing to do with winning a title in college. You need vets unless you have a game changing player ala Anthony Davis and even he needed vets to help him. A back court of just freshmen will continue to bite you in the azz if you don’t mix in some vets especially one that can shoot over having Hagans and Maxey who may be tough players but neither can shoot from deep or midrange
To be clear, he didn''t need veterans to back him up.

If you go back to the final game of every season here, the vets always perform equal or worse than our starter freshmen.

The problem is simply that you're seriously unlikely to land 5 freshmen who are at that level in one class, so even if it's 4 freshmen and a junior in the lineup, some outside commentator will invariably trot out the "they needed his guidance" bit.

There's no performance loss by March in replacing an upperclassman shooter with doron lamb/Brandon knight or an upperclassman big with towns/cousins.

Reactions: brianpoe
Green's biggest weakness was his defense but then again that was the biggest weakness for everyone on this team. Our length cause some problems but defensive technique was horrible among the freshmen.

Reactions: brianpoe
The way I see it, Green like the other freshmen were green last year. He now has experience even if he is not more gifted than Hagans, Quickley or even Maxey. Experience is important. Having Hawkins on a team with Monk and Fox was invaluable. I would say the same about Green. He shouldn't be sold short however he shouldn't be put on a pedestal either.

By the way, a junior/senior Green would NOT be better than a sophomore Ulis. We forget how great Ulis was as a leader, defender and scorer. His basketball IQ was outstanding.

You could see that Green didn’t like Cal in his face

My whole thing with Green is he is completely unrealistic about his ability.

Two accurate (and related) points at play here more than competition. I would hate to lose QG but there are some sticking points.

The one thing I think people don't get is experience is very valuable in practice and helping the FR adjust to the intensity of this level.

Green helped his Pennsylvania high school team to four straight state championships. He's a winner through and through.

Exactly. Green was highly recruited out of high school and is a winner, folks tend to forget that. People are always looking for the newest and shiniest car..

As I tried to say in my way too long post, many of us would like to have some 4 year guys but it's just not in Cal's DNA. Cal is going to try to get the best he can every year at every position.

Quade is just a prime example of how it works. How he feels about it and what he'll do is the unknown we're all discussing.

Everyone touting Green will turn on him in an instant if Tre Jones eats his lunch first game of season.
Green has not proven that he's ready to be an elite level pg.
Right now his only proven commodity is that of a bench shooter.
What's wrong with that? Everyone has to have their role.

The way I see it, Green like the other freshmen were green last year. He now has experience even if he is not more gifted than Hagans, Quickley or even Maxey. Experience is important. Having Hawkins on a team with Monk and Fox was invaluable. I would say the same about Green. He shouldn't be sold short however he shouldn't be put on a pedestal either.

By the way, a junior/senior Green would NOT be better than a sophomore Ulis. We forget how great Ulis was as a leader, defender and scorer. His basketball IQ was outstanding.
Almost everyone is selling Green short now. For UK fans, piling on a freshman or 2 before they are fully developed has become a very unfortunate ritual. It borders on trolling.

And as much as I love Ulis, UK went out in the second round the year he was a sophomore.

Ludicrous. He may not be good enough to carry a championship team, but starter? Come on.
Cal basically relegated him to backup shooting guard this year and has recruited over him twice already and you think Cal is going to start him at PG?

Ok.

This thread is telling. All of a sudden Quade is a backup 4 year nobody with no athleticism and needed to be recruited over and has been done deal.

I guess we won't be hearing anything else from him. We shall see.

Some of our fans refuse to question any decision or Cal.

It’s also weird that so many of them think guys can’t improve from freshmen to junior year...probably since it’s so rare to happen here, maybe that forgot what juniors and seniors are like if they’re not in-state kids.

I don't see green or weynen leaving especially weynen he will get plenty of pt. Diallo is a question mark. Cal also plays upperclassmen before anyone so if green stays I think he starts cause cal doesn't want him to fail. It's only one yr and if green sticks it out his junior yr he will be the man again

Where have you been the past 9 years??? Cal plays upperclassmen before anyone??? No, he does not. He plays the players that can provide the most on the court regardless of their class. This is a 100% known fact.

Green could be a solid PG but is likely going to have to wait his turn or continue to be more of a role/second option PG. Cal was desperate to sign a PG as Fox was certainly a 1 and done caliber player. Yes, QG was a 5* /top 25 rivals player but he is 6'0" and doesn't have the speed/quickness required to be elite at that size. Ulis was lightning quick.

That is a ridiculous statement. If Green sticks it out, as a jr. or sr., he will be rock solid.
I agree. Hopefully he sees the big picture. But I disagree you need a veteran point guard to make a deep run in the NCAA tournament.
2010- freshman Elite 8
2011- freshman final four
2012- freshman NCAA title
2013- sophomore NIT
2014- freshman NCAA title game
2015- sophomore final four
2016- sophomore second round
2017- freshman Elite 8
2018- freshman Sweet 16

He’s get less time and could grow until a player that can lead Nova just like Mitchell grew into a better player with more minutes at Michigan. At those schools the freshmen coming in are plentiful and will eat up your minutes. There wasn’t a bunch of guards that would eat up his minutes this past season like their will be next season.

Fans just stop for a minute and think of things from a players view and not from a fans view. Think of yourself as that player, a real player and not a walk on whonis just happy to be on a team and part of a blue blood. If Green transfers it makes perfect sense. I’d rather he stay since it would help Cal win more but I’m not going to be a hypocrite and not understand he would have a better opportunity somewhere else where he would play much more and stand out more the way Charles Mitchell and Kyle Wiltjer did.

Who the hell is Charles Mitchell? I know of a Charles Matthews.

I see the thread on H.O.B. saying "Green..."

Assuming that doesn't mean good news. Honestly, I'd take a Sophomore Green over Maxey because the way this is all going, Cal is remaking just about the entire roster, which in the end means we'll almost be just as young as this past season.

We all expect Diallo to be gone. Green transferring, and probably 1-2 of Vanderbilt, Washington, and Gabriel.

If it's Gabriel, that leaves us with 0 juniors/seniors again unless we get a grad transfer. Even then though it would be his first year in the Uk system.

Look, I'm not advocating for Cal to change his ways or anything, I'm simply pointing out what we all thought would happen (most everyone returning), is starting to look the opposite. I get SGA wasn't "supposed" to break out, but he did. Not Cal's fault and it's great for SGA. However, blatantly going out and trying to pull in another reclass guard kind of stinks. I think most of us want Green to come back. In the end, it will all work out though either way.

Put it this way, if only 1 of Wash, Vandy, Gabriel leave, we only have 3 returning Sophomores. If 2 leave, we just have Richards and ___________.

I don't even want to imagine all 3 leaving like they apparently want to do.

Just my two cents. Have a good evening.

Green would be a Junior before Maxey got here as a freshman and I would take a Freshman Maxey over a senior Green, Maxey is that good.

Much rather have Green. Maxey is kind of redundant by already having Hagans and he’s also a non shooter. It’s ok to have a bunch of guards if they all bring something different. Green has been through the wars, knows what to expect and can shoot.

Maxey is a non shooter??? Clearly you don't know much about him, he'd be the best shooter at PG that Cal has ever gotten, and that includes Brandon Knight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT