ADVERTISEMENT

So is Green gone then?

Feb 24, 2017
I see the thread on H.O.B. saying "Green..."

Assuming that doesn't mean good news. Honestly, I'd take a Sophomore Green over Maxey because the way this is all going, Cal is remaking just about the entire roster, which in the end means we'll almost be just as young as this past season.

We all expect Diallo to be gone. Green transferring, and probably 1-2 of Vanderbilt, Washington, and Gabriel.

If it's Gabriel, that leaves us with 0 juniors/seniors again unless we get a grad transfer. Even then though it would be his first year in the Uk system.

Look, I'm not advocating for Cal to change his ways or anything, I'm simply pointing out what we all thought would happen (most everyone returning), is starting to look the opposite. I get SGA wasn't "supposed" to break out, but he did. Not Cal's fault and it's great for SGA. However, blatantly going out and trying to pull in another reclass guard kind of stinks. I think most of us want Green to come back. In the end, it will all work out though either way.

Put it this way, if only 1 of Wash, Vandy, Gabriel leave, we only have 3 returning Sophomores. If 2 leave, we just have Richards and ___________.

I don't even want to imagine all 3 leaving like they apparently want to do.

Just my two cents. Have a good evening.

Reactions: Jbapp1978
I see the thread on H.O.B. saying "Green..."

Assuming that doesn't mean good news. Honestly, I'd take a Sophomore Green over Maxey because the way this is all going, Cal is remaking just about the entire roster, which in the end means we'll almost be just as young as this past season.

We all expect Diallo to be gone. Green transferring, and probably 1-2 of Vanderbilt, Washington, and Gabriel.

If it's Gabriel, that leaves us with 0 juniors/seniors again unless we get a grad transfer. Even then though it would be his first year in the Uk system.

Look, I'm not advocating for Cal to change his ways or anything, I'm simply pointing out what we all thought would happen (most everyone returning), is starting to look the opposite. I get SGA wasn't "supposed" to break out, but he did. Not Cal's fault and it's great for SGA. However, blatantly going out and trying to pull in another reclass guard kind of stinks. I think most of us want Green to come back. In the end, it will all work out though either way.

Put it this way, if only 1 of Wash, Vandy, Gabriel leave, we only have 3 returning Sophomores. If 2 leave, we just have Richards and ___________.

I don't even want to imagine all 3 leaving like they apparently want to do.

Just my two cents. Have a good evening.

Nothing cal can do if they leave. He tried to sell Knox on coming back so sure he has those guys. They have to listen.

Seems like it.I can't imagine why Cal would be trying so hard to get another guard if Green was staying.

I may end up having to eat crow. It seems as if there is a distinct possibility Green transfers ?? That being said it seems to be all strictly heresay at this point? Who knows?

That being said, good on Cal for being relentless on the recruiting front this off season.
Brunson out, Green in.

Reactions: catzcan
I would love to keep green, but I want a winner..... I want guys who have a killer instinct. Some one who think when a new guys comes in that he has to come and take my minutes, not just role over and quit. The millennial generation...... I want stone cold ballers who refuse to lay down.....

Cal is prepping for his departure by bringing in several better recruits.

Writing is on the wall.
That's the kind of mindset (shared by Duke) that leads to zero experience when you need it most. If you're always chasing the next shiny recruit, unless they're a rare talent you're missing out on the Sophomore - Senior seasons where those non-elite players add the most value.

Just makes no sense to take the worst season a recruit will have (their first year) and then have them hit the road, only to do the exact same thing with the next batch.

I would love to keep green, but I want a winner..... I want guys who have a killer instinct. Some one who think when a new guys comes in that he has to come and take my minutes, not just role over and quit. The millennial generation...... I want stone cold ballers who refuse to lay down.....
UNC's AFAM department is calling and wants back their degree.

Reactions: awf
PJ and JV are the 2 we need to keep for experience and productivity. Gabriel helps as well.

I like Green and think he'd be a gritty, solid, Jr and Sr. However, it would take a huge leap for him to be THE guy that can carry a team do to his measurables. My personal preference is to take your chance with the elite talent and if Green doesn't want to stay and battle then it's on him. But we shouldn't pass up the Fox, Colin Sexton, Rose type potential in hopes Green takes the next step.

Maxey and Hagans are both NBA guards; Green likely isn't or is on the fringe even after 3-4 years. There aren't a lot of 6', average athleticism guards at the next level.

Much rather have Green. Maxey is kind of redundant by already having Hagans and he’s also a non shooter. It’s ok to have a bunch of guards if they all bring something different. Green has been through the wars, knows what to expect and can shoot.

I don't see green or weynen leaving especially weynen he will get plenty of pt. Diallo is a question mark. Cal also plays upperclassmen before anyone so if green stays I think he starts cause cal doesn't want him to fail. It's only one yr and if green sticks it out his junior yr he will be the man again

IF Green has been planning on transferring for awhile now and that’s the reason Cal is going hard after Hagans/ Maxey etc... then green must have wanted to transfer at least a month or 2 or 3 ago...
My question is why? Because Hagans/ Maxey seem like a “I gotta add more studs “ as opposed to an 18 recruit Cal signed awhile ago coming in and potentially” taking Greens minutes” (which I mean green is very very good so it’s unfortunate he feels the need to transfer just because another player of his caliber comes aboard.)

Maybe Green just seems himself in a different type of role? Who knows really ...

He could very well not be wanting to transfer.

But the nba has nothing to do with winning a title in college. You need vets unless you have a game changing player ala Anthony Davis and even he needed vets to help him. A back court of just freshmen will continue to bite you in the azz if you don’t mix in some vets especially one that can shoot over having Hagans and Maxey who may be tough players but neither can shoot from deep or midrange

PJ and JV are the 2 we need to keep for experience and productivity. Gabriel helps as well.

I like Green and think he'd be a gritty, solid, Jr and Sr. However, it would take a huge leap for him to be THE guy that can carry a team do to his measurables. My personal preference is to take your chance with the elite talent and if Green doesn't want to stay and battle then it's on him. But we shouldn't pass up the Fox, Colin Sexton, Rose type potential in hopes Green takes the next step.

Maxey and Hagans are both NBA guards; Green likely isn't or is on the fringe even after 3-4 years. There aren't a lot of 6', average athleticism guards at the next level.

Stone cold ballers don’t stay longer than one year..

Much rather have Green. Maxey is kind of redundant by already having Hagans and he’s also a non shooter. It’s ok to have a bunch of guards if they all bring something different. Green has been through the wars, knows what to expect and can shoot.

Every report I've read on maxey says he's a good shooter.

Sad, sad take.

So just exactly when did Green role over and quit, lay down, let someone take his minutes? When was he not a "winner" in your book?

Have no idea what he will do, but id love to have him back. He brings a lot to the table, good shooter, plays unselfish, and could be a damn good multi year guard for us

Maybe the kid is just homesick, from watching the " Inside the Madness" he seems to be really close with his mom.

Reactions: flacat22
But the nba has nothing to do with winning a title in college. You need vets unless you have a game changing player ala Anthony Davis and even he needed vets to help him. A back court of just freshmen will continue to bite you in the azz if you don’t mix in some vets especially one that can shoot over having Hagans and Maxey who may be tough players but neither can shoot from deep or midrange
Maxey can. Quickly, Herro and Baker also can which we didn't have this year (in addition to Gabriel)

Would you trade a freshman Wall, Fox, Sexton, Rose, Evans, Knight, Bledsoe, Teague for a Sophomore Green? I personally wouldn't and would take my chance with those guys running my team. All are more explosive which helps create on their own and set up teammates. They are all also better defenders due to lateral quickness and size.

Green is tough and has good intangibles and is a solid set shooter. I do think he is a winner. At a program who can't get the best of the best he would be a very solid lead guard. I just don't think you should pass on an Elite guard bc it might scare him off.

Ppl can have different opinions. I'm just explaining mine. Since we should have experience back at other positions we should be fine.

Last edited:

I’ve been preaching this and have been crucified for it. People sing the praises in April then b!tch in February. It’s like clockwork, happens every year. I’m not a fan of losing our guys to the pros and I’m even less of a fan seeing our guys transfer. I trust in Cal to put us a winning and exciting product every year but I’m having serious doubts that he will win another championship with us. Teams that win it have experience and continuity.

Green helped his Pennsylvania high school team to four straight state championships. He's a winner through and through.

Maybe Cal's new strategy is to simply recruit so many 5 star players that he can hide 3 or 4 of them on the bench each year so he always has a core of returning players?

Okay, okay, I'm not really being serious. But it might work out that way. Use up all 13 scholarships and bring in the best guys you can possibly get. Sell them on playing on championship caliber teams and practicing against the best players in all of college basketball. Naturally, some of these guys will develop slower than the others and might not get much time in the rotation as freshmen. But they gain valuable experience. But because of their lack of play, they might not be high on the draft charts, so more often than not we can get those guys who don't play much their first year back for a second.

Hey, it might sound like a hair-brained idea, but it could work. We'd probably get more highly touted recruits to come back for their sophomore year that way than by what we've been doing.

Right now Hagans is not in this class. He has to achieve certain academic grades and courses this summer to reclassify and said it was 50/50. I don't know why Green would transfer. He now has a year of experience and would be our starting point guard. Quickley would be starting from scratch and if we haven't learned by now that experience is going to matter, and sometimes great recruits take time to develop, then it will be another, "I have a very young team." Green has the position until he loses it. If he transfers then he isn't what is needed unfortunately. You want confident, it's mine type guys.

I am not convince that Green is leaving. All we have read so far is just rumors. Would love to see him stay myself. I think we get Washington & JV back also.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
This. The killer instinct part, anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: jace2012
Was just coming up here to say I made a mistake and got him mixed up. He’s actually a decent shooter at stand still and is good at midrange. Was thinking of a different guard whonis a point guard. Maxey is actually a sg who gets listed at PG due to his size like how some used to put Monk at PG due to size.

With that said I’ve never been a big fan of Maxey due to his selfish nature when it comes to scoring. Now don’t get me wrong he’s a very very good scorer but he tends to look to shoot first second and third. I’m sure Cal will fix that especially with all the talent he will already have.

Every report I've read on maxey says he's a good shooter.

Sad, sad take.

So just exactly when did Green role over and quit, lay down, let someone take his minutes? When was he not a "winner" in your book?

Have no idea what he will do, but id love to have him back. He brings a lot to the table, good shooter, plays unselfish, and could be a damn good multi year guard for us
I want Green back. But if Green has told Cal he is leaving, do you want Cal to not pursue other players?

That's the kind of mindset (shared by Duke) that leads to zero experience when you need it most. If you're always chasing the next shiny recruit, unless they're a rare talent you're missing out on the Sophomore - Senior seasons where those non-elite players add the most value.

Just makes no sense to take the worst season a recruit will have (their first year) and then have them hit the road, only to do the exact same thing with the next batch.
The player has to make that decision. Not Cal. He recruits the best players and if the players can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen or I mean transfer. Go Cal. Best coach in college basketball. Bolden at Duke should have transferred last year. He keeps getting recruited over and hung around to sit the bench. If Quade transfers good for him. Each player has to do what is best for him and Cal has to do what is best for Kentucky.

Also transfering is not quitting. It’s looking for a better opportunity for yourself. Don’t be that selfish fan who has no problem with Cal quitting Umass and Memphis for a better opportunity for himself at Kentucky and no problem with a good transfer who “quit” on the last team he left to come to UK.

Reactions: lkc1234 and TIE543
It's all about expectations. Most five stars these days don't want to wait until their junior or senior years for it all to come together. Especially if a lot of their teammates go to the league after one year.

Green played 25.6 minutes per game last year, I wouldn't call that under utilized so idk why he's transferring. If it's "to be the man" someone should tell him he's probably not going to be that at a top program, why leave UK where you're a role player and could run the show as jr or sr? He'd Be a role player at Villanova as well.

Reactions: ukfan041
It could also be Cal just pursuing other players he feel are better and knowing it could cause Green to transfer. I know we want to think this could never happen to coaches or schools we like but, even though I’ve been a Cal fan for over 25 years I do know he has done this before

I want Green back. But if Green has told Cal he is leaving, do you want Cal to not pursue other players?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT