ADVERTISEMENT

So is Green gone then?

Nothing beyond rumors. So no you shouldnt assume he is gone. Remember SKJ was for sure gone last year at this time but he came back . He did transfer this time but that has no relavance on this point. Should you be shocked if he leaves and Cal brings in another stud though? Nope . I bet Cal does everything in his power to keep Green here and explain it makes zero sense to transfer and NOT play next season on a top 2 or so team but kids do make horribly dumb mistakes.

It could also be Cal just pursuing other players he feel are better and knowing it could cause Green to transfer. I know we want to think this could never happen to coaches or schools we like but, even though I’ve been a Cal fan for over 25 years I do know he has done this before
I don’t think that would apply to Green. I think Cal likes his grit and competitive nature. But of course I could be wrong.

He’s get less time and could grow until a player that can lead Nova just like Mitchell grew into a better player with more minutes at Michigan. At those schools the freshmen coming in are plentiful and will eat up your minutes. There wasn’t a bunch of guards that would eat up his minutes this past season like their will be next season.

Fans just stop for a minute and think of things from a players view and not from a fans view. Think of yourself as that player, a real player and not a walk on whonis just happy to be on a team and part of a blue blood. If Green transfers it makes perfect sense. I’d rather he stay since it would help Cal win more but I’m not going to be a hypocrite and not understand he would have a better opportunity somewhere else where he would play much more and stand out more the way Charles Mitchell and Kyle Wiltjer did.

Green played 25.6 minutes per game last year, I wouldn't call that under utilized so idk why he's transferring. If it's "to be the man" someone should tell him he's probably not going to be that at a top program, why leave UK where you're a role player and could run the show as jr or sr? He'd Be a role player at Villanova as well.

I’m reading Dana O’Neil’s book on Villanova about the 2016 team and the backstory of Wright and the program. Talks about depending on experience and getting the right guys; not the highest-ranked guys.

We can’t continue to just be a team of freshmen and then complain about struggling and waiting until February to hope this team comes together. It has become the culture.

Quit forcing Green out. Fans with constant speculation puts this in their ear. I see a scenario that all these guys come in and Green starts.

Reactions: Farsight
Kid wants to be a starting point guard. He's not going to be the starting PG at Kentucky anytime soon. If he stays, he's a 5'11" back-up Shooting Guard. How many 5'11" back-up Shooting Guards have you seen get drafted? His pro future is dependent on his ability to showcase himself as a point guard.

I'll root for and be excited about this class and team no matter what, but this isn't what many of us thought and hoped would happen which was getting the bulk of last years team back with a top 2 class this year. Since most freshmen last year didn't seem like one and dones there was good reason to hope for more of a blend of freshmen, sophomores and juniors this year. It could still happen, but not if these rumors are true.

Reactions: KFuqua
Maybe the kid is just homesick, from watching the " Inside the Madness" he seems to be really close with his mom.

That's crap how you are going to say someone is homesick but the same kids are hoping like heck to get into the NBA. That's a bunch a bull never bought into that theory. Those same kids will run to the NBA and play for any team across the country and will gladly play overseas if the NBA is not calling.

He's here until he's not...

495946_Screen-Shot-2018-03-01-at-12.07.43-PM_wveizo.png

Im with ya

Been some crazy chit on this board lately.
Yeah Green leaving makes literally zero sense but he might just be mad enough at being the 4th most talented guard to leave and not see that in the SEC if you are the 2nd - 4th guard you will play a ton ( and I bet Green starts) so he might do an idiotic thing . But like I said Green should stay and be a part of an elite team next season. It is this very reason why I think Gabriel comes back. He will be the go to man for interviews , when a game in announced you will see his pic ect next season and be looked at the elder statesman on this team and his name and game willl grow. Obviously Gabriel will be like the 6th-7th man but still he will be the leader IMO .

I'll root for and be excited about this class and team no matter what, but this isn't what many of us thought and hoped would happen which was getting the bulk of last years team back with a top 2 class this year. Since most freshmen last year didn't seem like one and dones there was good reason to hope for more of a blend of freshmen, sophomores and juniors this year. It could still happen, but not if these rumors are true.
Washington and Vanderbilt returning are the keys. Gabriel would be icing on the cake but I don’t think he is as important as having PJ and Vanderbilt returning.

He’s get less time and could grow until a player that can lead Nova just like Mitchell grew into a better player with more minutes at Michigan. At those schools the freshmen coming in are plentiful and will eat up your minutes. There wasn’t a bunch of guards that would eat up his minutes this past season like their will be next season.

Fans just stop for a minute and think of things from a players view and not from a fans view. Think of yourself as that player, a real player and not a walk on whonis just happy to be on a team and part of a blue blood. If Green transfers it makes perfect sense. I’d rather he stay since it would help Cal win more but I’m not going to be a hypocrite and not understand he would have a better opportunity somewhere else where he would play much more and stand out more the way Charles Mitchell and Kyle Wiltjer did.
Charles Matthews*

And if he transferred he'd have to sit out a year and we will probably have plenty of space at guard his jr year. Wouldn't understand giving up a year of eligibility

That's crap how you are going to say someone is homesick but the same kids are hoping like heck to get into the NBA. That's a bunch a bull never bought into that theory. Those same kids will run to the NBA and play for any team across the country and will gladly play overseas if the NBA is not calling.
First of all I said maybe and second of all I don't nor do you know what the kid is thinking but from watching that show it seems like he has a close knit family. I'm definitely not going to bad mouth him if that's what he chooses to do.

If Maxey commits:
Maxey
Baker
Green
Diallo
Hagans
Herro
Quickley
Could it work? Yes in theory. But platooning is the only possible answer to keep everyone engaged and happy.

Jemarl Baker

Not sure, but could mean Cal does expect a departure or two or that hes tired of effing around "hoping" players pan out over the season.

Id like to see him load up the frontcourt too.

If guys arent performing...no need to keep "happy"

I want Green back. But if Green has told Cal he is leaving, do you want Cal to not pursue other players?

I'd rather Cal tell green he's his pg of the future and he's not going anywhere.

I bet dollars to donuts that conversation has not happened.

Losing green will be a big blow. We are bringing in 10-25 guys. It's a rinse and repeat cycle and we haven't learned.

Jemarl Baker

Not sure, but could mean Cal does expect a departure or two or that hes tired of effing around "hoping" players pan out over the season.

Id like to see him load up the frontcourt too.

If guys arent performing...no need to keep "happy"
Everyone of those players expects minutes next year. Even if Diallo leaves which I think may happen, that still leaves a daunting task for Cal to find minutes for them all.

I'd rather Cal tell green he's his pg of the future and he's not going anywhere.

Losing green will be a big blow. We are bringing in 10-25 guys. It's a rinse and repeat cycle and we haven't learned.
Quade you're my PG of the future, I know you lost your job to SGA and Quickly and Hagans showed up, but your junior year it's all you.

I can see why greens a little pissed but transferring you'd lose a year anyway so might as well stick at UK. PG of the future is a tough sell to green at this point.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood

Cal had that conversation with Knox. Knox didn’t listen. Neither did Teague and many others. If Green wants to leave and I’m not saying he is, Cal is obviously taking steps to soften the blow.

I for one think many of you are drastically under-rating Green. A junior Green is exactly the type of pg that you win with.

If he transfers I think he'll end being a great player.
I’m certainly not and hope he stays. And maybe it’s diallo who has told Cal he is leaving. But Cal is pursuing Maxey for a reason.

I wouldn’t underestimate the fact that Shai took the starting job that was supposed to “belong” to Quade, and the effect that could/might have had on Quade and those near him. I’ll just put it at that. Him considering transferring is not a recent phenomenon.

It’s easy to read these things at face value and jump to this or that conclusion: same thing was happening with SKJ. We all griped about how SKJ did more than Richards and how it made zero sense for SKJ not to play. There was more to it than that.

Could just be that Cal has known about this for a while and that to him he’s covering his own ass. If anybody is peeved by this I would think it’s Immanuel Quickley.

I wouldn’t underestimate the fact that Shai took the starting job that was supposed to “belong” to Quade, and the effect that could/might have had on Quade and those near him. I’ll just put it at that. Him considering transferring is not a recent phenomenon.

It’s easy to read these things at face value and jump to this or that conclusion: same thing was happening with SKJ. We all griped about how SKJ did more than Richards and how it made zero sense for SKJ not to play. There was more to it than that, and it was happening in practice.

Could just be that Cal has known about this for a while and that to him he’s covering his own ass. If anybody is peeved by this I would think it’s Immanuel Quickley.
Actually Quickley urged Hagans to join the team. Lol. You would think he wouldn’t but he did.

Here's how I see it

STARTERS
Green
Hagans
Johnson
Vanderbilt
Washington

BENCH
Quickley
Maxey
Herro
Montgomery
Richards

ODD MAN OUT
Baker

GO PRO
Diallo
Gabriel

If PJ stays in draft a grad transfer gets brought in. Don't see PJ staying in the draft though. If Hami and Wenyen stay at UK Hagans and Maxey stay in 2019. Pre-Combine projections are sent to players next week. Baker knows and knew it would be until he is an upperclassman that he would play rotation minutes. He's the level of player so many here have been clamouring for, they just don't realize that guy is already on the roster. Looks like another multi year type may be coming if KyKy signs and that Cal has had that player in the past with Hawkins and Willis. All the guards on the roster that can play point are more combo guards at the college level. Coaches don't get that wrapped up in positions in the same way media and fans do.

Reactions: Farsight
No matter what happens, who goes and who stays, at the end everything will fall in it's place.
I'm not worried about it. Cal is in charge and I trust he knows what to do.

Green would have to redshirt anyways. He could step into the starting role if Quinerly is one-and-done.
but but but the media told me Jay Wright and Villanova do it the "right" way without one and dones and players wih class. Nevermind being tied to coaches in the FBI investigation or players with academic issues forcing that player to redshirt. That would never happen at such a sacred program who "does it the right way" the media told me so.

No matter what happens, who goes and who stays, at the end everything will fall in it's place.
I'm not worried about it. Cal is in charge and I trust he knows what to do.

I wouldn’t continue to expect things to fall into place. This is by no stretch a “super team” and with no juniors and a few sophomores isn’t gonna win championships.

I for one think many of you are drastically under-rating Green. A junior Green is exactly the type of pg that you win with.

If he transfers I think he'll end being a great player.

We will live to regret the day Green left, if he does. No way if I'm Cal I let him walk, and I think Cal has more ability to keep these guys than others here. I do not believe Cal would push anyone out, but I do think he let's them roll.

There's literally no other player Ive been as excited about. I'm crushed, lost some wind for sure.

Why in the world do that?

Especially if better players are out there this year or next?

If Green hinted at transferring Cal is not going to wait around and be screwed over.

So much speculation here and none of us really knows what is going on. Thus it is comical to even get frustrated much less pissed about something of which we have no idea.

Much rather have Green. Maxey is kind of redundant by already having Hagans and he’s also a non shooter. It’s ok to have a bunch of guards if they all bring something different. Green has been through the wars, knows what to expect and can shoot.
Everything I've read about Maxey says he is an excellent shooter .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT