ADVERTISEMENT

Sleepers no one talking about.

Pope is a good coach. with our resources and talent he could get, I'd pick him over anyone besides Donovan.
I think he'd do well at the coaching and recruiting. It's the other stuff that worries me. Going from a quiet Mormon university, to being the Ambassador of Kentucky is quite a jump. He don't booze or drink coffee, so he'd probably die.

• Haha
Reactions: Balzac
Buzz Williams? Dude took us to the woodshed this year.
Thanks for this post, LXA ... I don't think this fact has been given adequate consideration.

But, first ... I'm whole heartedly in favor of Billy Donovan. I think Dan Hurley may have now acquired too much of the arrogance that infected the U.K. program after CCC coached U.K. in the 2012 NCAA Championship Final.

Secondly ... if we can't get Billy D, I would welcome Buzz Williams. As I said in a post on another thread this week ... BUZZ WILLIAMS CAN COACH BASKETBALL ! ! !

I also like Shaka Smart, and I think many of the posts about him on this board are to one degree or another misguided ... but I'll comment more fully about that in another post about Shaka.

Smart couldn’t get it done at Texas and they have loads of money.
I think Shaka's time at Texas should be written off as a gross mis-match of coach-and-university. Shaka Smart is, to a significant degree, "a street guy". He did exceedingly well with VCU, which is for the most part an inner city commuter school. LIkewise, Marquette - particularly when compared to Texas - is more of nearly an inner city commuter school.
I never thought Shaka had a chance at Texas. Yes, Texas has loads of money, but my perception is that all of the money people associated with the Texas program looked down on Shaka from the start ... because, I repeat ... fundamentally, Shaka is a street guy. But the money people at U.K. want, first and foremost, NCAA Championships, and I think Shaka Smart has demonstrated, at VCU and at Marquette, that he's a good enough coach to get the job done at U.K. And I'll also add ... those on this board who consider Marquette as anything other than a major basketball program are, IMHO, badly mistaken.

Reactions: BCD
Unless you are just a young kid posting, how could any UK fan want Kelvin freakin’ Sampson?
Indiana reject, multiple ncaa violations or at least surrounded himself around ncaa conspiracy’s. Plus he is too old and never done anything in length at the college level that has amounted to much and even if he had, he is still Indiana’s garbage.

Making the tournament with a team recruited under BYU standards is a big deal. No booze, no caffeine, and a chaste lifestyle. Add to that academic qualifications, makes it a tough sell. His teams play an exciting style, shooting a lot of 3s. They hold their own in the Big 12.
He's not anybodies first choice, but he's got potential.
I agree- no idea how he gets any players to come there based on the BYU standards- if he was atUK, no more BYU standards and he wold get much better players

Reactions: ftp000
A guy i'd look at is Brian Dutcher. Great coach, very solid recruiter, coaches a physical disciplined brand of basketball. He's great with media and boosters.

1. TOMMY LLOYD
2. BRAD UNDERWOOD.
3. CHRIS BEARD
THA IS IF BILLY DONAVAN CANT BE CONVINCED TO LEAVE THE BULLS EARLY.....
PS: WATCH OUT FOR NORMAN DALE OF HICKORY HIGH, HAS A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP AND MAY BRING JIMMY CHITWOOD WITH HIM

Samson with rondo as an assistant to study under. That is a man who would bring a title or two. Far more solid than drew and hungry

And age isn’t a factor to me. Who you got as a potential sleeper?

Sampson’s an outstanding coach. But just too old.

And forget about the Rondo idea. I don’t believe he meets the degree requirement, and his of court legal issues preclude him from consideration even if he did.

Sampson’s an outstanding coach. But just too old.

And forget about the Rondo idea. I don’t believe he meets the degree requirement, and his of court legal issues preclude him from consideration even if he did.
He’s about to have his degree

Did everyone forget about Brad Stevens? He is the best coach period!!! Worth every bit of 15 million per year

Did everyone forget about Brad Stevens? He is the best coach period!!! Worth every bit of 15 million per year
If we couldn’t convince a guy to give up the Baylor job, how do you think we’re gonna get a man to quit being president of the best organization in the NBA?

Not a chance he’d be interested.

I'll be shocked if Mitch doesn't have a more diverse group of candidates than what we're seeing from people on this board, Matt Jones, etc. It's 2024. You can't just have three white dudes in the mix.
Take your diversity and shove it up your ass. It's 2024. Stop making everything about color and hire the best person for the job. You know, like the law says.

Golden at Florida would be a good young Coach to keep an eye on. If you really wanted to go young he would be in the mix for me along with Pope
Cue Golden--"I really love where I am at and look forward to returning this program to where it belongs. I have zero interest in any other job. Plus, my wife would kill me."

1. TOMMY LLOYD
2. BRAD UNDERWOOD.
3. CHRIS BEARD
THA IS IF BILLY DONAVAN CANT BE CONVINCED TO LEAVE THE BULLS EARLY.....
PS: WATCH OUT FOR NORMAN DALE OF HICKORY HIGH, HAS A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP AND MAY BRING JIMMY CHITWOOD WITH HIM
It's the key that's says 'caps' on it Pappaw. Push it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT