ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP Lanier to UT

And Robinson played in the Big 12. Poplar played in the ACC.
How do you compare Lanier to Robinson? Talking about original poster. North Florida in Big 12 last year, would have lost every single game they played in conference. Lanier would have been scouted early and often on how to shut him down. Robinson played at BYU and did it against better competition all year long. Plus Robinson really plays a different position. Not sure about some of these posters in this portal conversation. Each their own and all but

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Just follow this formula
Everyone who signs with UK=Sneaky good 1st team all american talent, who fits the system perfectly
Everyone who UK misses on=Not that good, can't shoot, played in a weak conference, weak numbers.
Add to first paragraph “going to break out next year. Can’t just look at last years production.”

How do you compare Lanier to Robinson? Talking about original poster. North Florida in Big 12 last year, would have lost every single game they played in conference. Lanier would have been scouted early and often on how to shut him down. Robinson played at BYU and did it against better competition all year long. Plus Robinson really plays a different position. Not sure about some of these posters in this portal conversation. Each their own and all but
So players from smaller schools can't make it at bigger schools? I'm glad nobody ever told Antonio Reeves that.

And Lamont Butler played in the mountain west. Make it make sense. Lanier was good and he was a miss. Period.

The mountain west is one of the top 6 conferences in basketball. The ASUN is one of the 6th worst. This is out of 32 conferences. It’s quite a bit of difference. The ASUN is closer to Almonors conference, the NEC

Why do I have the feeling that we could miss on both and you would say it doesn't matter and Pope's system would be enough.
Why make assumptions until we know for sure something has happened. Even if they got Robinson or poplar would you even be happy? Or would something else still be wrong? I’m choosing to give my coach time like any normal fanbase would do. The over critical bs is silly. But I’m not gonna be a hypocrite. Be a fan however you choose to be.

But our guy from Drexel will be a stud of course.
I think more people have forgot about Amari Williams than are still proclaiming he’ll be a stud. He’ll also be splitting time with a former McD’s AA. Lanier/Robinson/etc are being recruited to be our star and potential best player so different asks as well. Drexel was also considerably better than UNF but that’s not that consequential.

Williams also has consistent production over 3 years instead of just 1.

I’m not saying Williams will be a better player than Lanier next year. But like all other professional sports, free agency has a high level of unpredictability.

Lanier could average 15 PPG on a top of the SEC team next season or he could be another dude for them at the 2 guard with Gainey and Mashack while not being anything special. Neither would surprise me.

As people make jokes about the Pope defenders, I have a simple rule for whether to be upset:

-did I know who the player was before they became “available”?

-does it look like UK has a good chance of getting at least a comparable level of player?

When those answers are different than no and yes respectively I think it’s fair to have some reaction to them committing elsewhere.

The mountain west is one of the top 6 conferences in basketball. The ASUN is one of the 6th worst. This is out of 32 conferences. It’s quite a bit of difference. The ASUN is closer to Almonors conference, the NEC
Butler is a good player and a lot of teams would have wanted him. A lot of these players pope has gotten people seemed to be focused purely on offense, when there are other attributes to offer. A lot of these guys are good offensively to, but they offer alot other than offense to.

Reactions: TM2013
And if we don't some will say Pope hasn't missed on any players...
I think you have to look at through a perspective that is fair and reasonable given the circumstances. Mahaney, Lanier, and Saunders have been misses. They actually came to campus and Kentucky invested a lot of time on them. The others are not fair or very reasonable to categorize as misses. Osobor maybe, but that price tag was ridiculous.

Reactions: TM2013
I laugh some of you who want to stress the misses of CMP who had a roster of no one when he got the job less than 2 months ago. You are an unintelligent fake band wagon KY fan, no if and or buts. The numbed one scorer of all time at KY is Dan Issel. He was the Fourth Center that we recruited that year. The first 3 said no. Enough said. You have no respect as a fan to me. I stick with Big Blue through thick and thin. I dont cry all day like some of you do. Its embarrassing,

 GBB

You and I have fought the good fight, but some are gonna be overly critical and upset no matter what is said/shown to them.
It’s a fact that @track42 no shows a thread on a committed player to UK but let us miss on one and he’s guaranteed to be there. Why in your right mind would you be a fan of sports team but continue to shit on your “favorite team.” I’m Not buying it for a second.

It’s a fact that @track42 no shows a thread on a committed player to UK but let us miss on one and he’s guaranteed to be there. Why in your right mind would you be a fan of sports team but continue to shit on your “favorite team.” I’m Not buying it for a second.
I like track and the group like him, but sometimes they are just to overboard with their worrying sometimes. He just replied to something saying that some of us will wear blue tinted glasses and not face reality. Kentucky hasn’t even predicted yet, how can you talk about reality when the team hasn’t even practice yet.

Butler is a good player and a lot of teams would have wanted him. A lot of these players pope has gotten people seemed to be focused purely on offense, when there are other attributes to offer. A lot of these guys are good offensively to, but they offer alot other than offense to.

Yeah completely agree, but Lanier is a big miss too despite the conference. His efficiency numbers were really good. The conference thing is one reason I worry about Amari Williams translating over to the SEC. Garrison is a fantastic cover for him though.

I like track and the group like him, but sometimes they are just to overboard with their worrying sometimes. He just replied to something saying that some of us will wear blue tinted glasses and not face reality. Kentucky hasn’t even predicted yet, how can you talk about reality when the team hasn’t even practice yet.
I mean you have posted that the roster is good and people are wrong to think otherwise. So aren't you doing the same and deciding the roster is good without a single practice? It goes both ways.

Make it make sense.

I guess Lanier should be playing for the Mavs right now. He is the best guard in the USA including the NBA. You guys saying this is a huge miss are just ridiculous. A guy that every expert knew was going to Tennessee is a miss. Now if UK was the pick right when the guy went in the portal and Tennessee swooped in, OK we missed. That is not it at all.

UK has better all around guards right now. Oweh / Butler / Kriisa / Kobe are all better guards. Played for better leagues.

HUGE MISS is one of the most laughable statements on here in 10 years. UK did not need the guy, have better players and again Pope has already stated he wanted to get 2 more before Almonor signed (2nd being Robinson i guess), and then would spend the final on a project or something like that.

But man POPE had Lanier on campus for almost 16 hours and could not close the deal. You all need to start finding others things to complain about.

Yeah completely agree, but Lanier is a big miss too despite the conference. His efficiency numbers were really good. The conference thing is one reason I worry about Amari Williams translating over to the SEC. Garrison is a fantastic cover for him though.
I agre Lanier is a miss but if they get one of poplar/robinson it’s not a huge miss. To me all 3 Lanier/poplar/Robinson can be put into the same grouping. There isn’t much separation between the 3.

I fell into the Lanier hype late, but he grew up in Tennessee. Always seemed a bit of a longshot. I def wanted him and would be ecstatic if he signed. However, if we get JR I am just as happy. Maybe more.

Make it make sense.

I guess Lanier should be playing for the Mavs right now. He is the best guard in the USA including the NBA. You guys saying this is a huge miss are just ridiculous. A guy that every expert knew was going to Tennessee is a miss. Now if UK was the pick right when the guy went in the portal and Tennessee swooped in, OK we missed. That is not it at all.

UK has better all around guards right now. Oweh / Butler / Kriisa / Kobe are all better guards. Played for better leagues.

HUGE MISS is one of the most laughable statements on here in 10 years. UK did not need the guy, have better players and again Pope has already stated he wanted to get 2 more before Almonor signed (2nd being Robinson i guess), and then would spend the final on a project or something like that.

But man POPE had Lanier on campus for almost 16 hours and could not close the deal. You all need to start finding others things to complain about.
If he was such a shitty player why did Pope have the long zoom with him,watch him in the g league combine,have him visit and offer him big Nil money?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT