ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Cal Trying Burks at 3 Spot?

There’s no need for it. The best 3 option when Edwards is out is clearly Reeves in the three guard set (and perhaps Thiero after Bradshaw starts playing more).

Indeed, that’s when we we’ve played the best all season …when Reeves is at the 3 and two out the Wagner/Sheppard/Dillingham trio are at the 1 and 2 spots. In fact, that would probably be our best starting lineup.

There’s only 40 minutes available at the 3 spot, and we’ve already got three guys who can play it better than Burks (Edwards, Reeves, Thiero). Divide those 40 minutes between those three … adding Burks to the mix would only muck things up.
I'm with it.

Gimme 3 guards, and we ride at dawn.

I suspect people are trying to manufacture a controversy. Burks led the OTE in scoring. He isn't a scrub.

Just crazy.

You start 3 of the 4 guards (DJ, Reed, Dilly, Reeves). Rotate the sub through them. They all get 30ish minutes.

Then you start 2 of the 4 of Bradshaw, Mitchell, Thiero and Edwards.
Edwards can occasionally play as a guard if foul trouble or matchups dictate.
Mitchell can play stretch 4 at times with Bradshaw.

But whoever plays the 5, get them the eff out of the way unless it's a quick hitter or set to get a back to the basket touch. This team is too good with the floor spaced and open lanes to clog the middle up. That's why Thiero and Mitchell were perfect for this group together. Bradshaw should be less back to the basket and more PnR. Mitchell is obviously the perfect pick and pop guy. Keeps the lane open. Problem with Mitchell and Bradshaw together is neither is worth a damn off the dribble like Thiero is. That's why Thiero fits this group so well. He's the slasher they need.
🤛🏼🤛🏼🤛🏼🤛🏼

I don't think this is anything. Probably just trying to light a fire under Edwards. Burks is not going to play more than spot minutes

Reactions: JonathanW
I do not listen to the man any longer. Could care less what he thinks or talks about.

Just fix the issues and win games. He can say he walked on water and used a Q Tip to fix a broken ankle. Just do not care. Fix the issues and move forward.

Camp Cal coming up and more times than not we are worse coming out of camp cal. Just hope this is not one of those years.

Season 5 No GIF by The Office
People on here say Edward’s can’t play, Cal works in his replacement at the 3 and now Cal has done something wrong? Some on here have no basketball sense.

Why hasn’t the genius realized he can just play at Thiero at the 3 and 4 and play him 30+mpg instead of 25? He has no problem playing Tre and Reeves 35mpg, and Thiero has a better plus/minus than both of them.

Reactions: NociHTTP
I like Burks and glad he has gotten some run, but I’m guessing his minutes are going drop as we get deeper in the season.

This just seems like Cal saying stuff to say stuff. Maybe trying to light a fire under Edwards after Cal said he wasn’t putting in the needed work to better himself.
This is one of the reasons we have so many transfers. Why even bother coming back when you e been screwed out of playing time because Cal has to have his highly prized recruits fine-tune for the draft?

Just heard on The Leach Report that Cal said he's going to try Burks at the 3 spot. I'm not a coach but man I'm so afraid Cal is going to ruin a good thing and go away from what we are and looked so good at.
What was it you thought we were good at? We better get good at something called defense when shots aren’t falling and they bunch back up.

He is desperate to get rebounding and board defense. If he gets another big available he will play 2 bits.

Why hasn’t the genius realized he can just play at Thiero at the 3 and 4 and play him 30+mpg instead of 25? He has no problem playing Tre and Reeves 35mpg, and Thiero has a better plus/minus than both of them.
This is especially true considering that Thiero’s minutes at the 4 spot are likely to soon to get dramatically reduced as Bradshaw starts playing more. Which means he’s gonna have to play a lot more at the 3 spot to maintain anything close to his current playing time.

If Cal wants to send Edwards a message by cutting his minutes, there are far easier ways of doing that than trying to make Burks a three. Just give Thiero more time at the 3 spot. Or Reeves … this team has clearly played its best when they go with that three guard lineup anyways …so just do more of it.

What was it you thought we were good at? We better get good at something called defense when shots aren’t falling and they bunch back up.
Moving the ball with our guards plus Mitchell. Shooting with our guards and Mitchell. Driving lanes with our guards and Therio. Adding Burks at the 3 I fear will inhibit all of that. And yes, the defense is horrible.

Reactions: catben and UK90
Moving the ball with our guards plus Mitchell. Shooting with our guards and Mitchell. Driving lanes with our guards and Therio. Adding Burks at the 3 I fear will inhibit all of that. And yes, the defense is horrible.
We surely did not move the ball effectively last game. 6’ pass = 0 unless you are in the pant. It’s all pointless without the defense anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT