ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP. A new article on UNC from Dan Kane

BigBlueFanGA

All-American
Jun 14, 2005
Nothing major but it certainly shows the laying of a foundation for the weasels to get a slap on the wrist. It's going to be very interesting to see how D1 schools in general react to whatever punishment UNC finally gets.

Dan Kane article

It almost seems/feels like Dan doesn't really care to write about this anymore. Maybe he knows the ruling is coming soon...maybe he knows what's going to happen...maybe he's looking for a new project...?

Originally posted by BobbyG_tickle_swerv:
It almost seems/feels like Dan doesn't really care to write about this anymore. Maybe he knows the ruling is coming soon...maybe he knows what's going to happen...maybe he's looking for a new project...?
UNC*** and the NCAA are a bunch of crooks.

Looks like Cleveland state will be in trouble. Nada has decided to go after more schools for academic issues. Imo trying to find another school doing something worse, then hit that school and give a reason to only slap unchanged wrist

The fix has always been in. UNC may lose some money but that's about it. I'll eat my hat if they treat Roy worse than Boeheim.

It is clear from that article that the NCAA is not going to do anything to UNC. This investigation has gone on way to long. For those who want to see UNC get hammered it is not going to happen.

If they do skate, and ESPN does not absolutely just annihilate the NCAA, then they have zero credibility. I'm already disgusted with most of the on-air talent's excusing Williams every chance they get, including Jay Bilas. Every other university should ban together and take them to court. There is just no way they can possibly defend not punishing them. It's not like there is any question about the cheating.

The only way UNC skates is if what was written about on message boards and in some media outlets was inaccurate and not factual, there's too many who're interested in this thing for this to be swept under the rug...pair that with the PR nightmares the NCAA have had lately and they are forced to play this one by the rules, no coverup opportunity.

Originally posted by SilentsAreGolden:
If they do skate, and ESPN does not absolutely just annihilate the NCAA, then they have zero credibility. I'm already disgusted with most of the on-air talent's excusing Williams every chance they get, including Jay Bilas. Every other university should ban together and take them to court. There is just no way they can possibly defend not punishing them. It's not like there is any question about the cheating.
The president of ESPN is a prominent UNC grad. Was named their man of the year a few years ago. That is the problem.

ESPN has NO journalistic integrity . None. They will not do squat

"In one circumstance, the NCAA received documents from a former graduate school admissions director, Cheryl Thomas, that showed a football player had been admitted and given a fourth year of eligibility despite a low GPA and no entrance exam. It forwarded the documents to a lawyer representing UNC, emails show. The lawyer then sought to interview her.
When she didn't respond, the NCAA contacted her by email for an interview. But that email shows the NCAA wanted UNC to participate."

So if she doesn't reply for an interview, will they treat this like the Derrick Rose SAT situation of not "cooperating"? Of course not...

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/education/article18879930.html#storylink=cpy

Originally posted by Catfanlou:

The president of ESPN is a prominent UNC grad. Was named their man of the year a few years ago. That is the problem.

ESPN has NO journalistic integrity . None. They will not do squat
Yet ESPN is a huge Duke homer? I seem to recall reading here year after year about how that is the case. Also, what of the UNC scandal has been left out by ESPN?

If anything, ESPN has been one of the worst of presenting inaccurate info -- the "Rosa Park's paper" comes to mind off the top of my head along with reporting that Willingham worked with several men's basketball and football players, both of which we know are not true now.

Originally posted by TheDude73:
"In one circumstance, the NCAA received documents from a former graduate school admissions director, Cheryl Thomas, that showed a football player had been admitted and given a fourth year of eligibility despite a low GPA and no entrance exam. It forwarded the documents to a lawyer representing UNC, emails show. The lawyer then sought to interview her.
When she didn't respond, the NCAA contacted her by email for an interview. But that email shows the NCAA wanted UNC to participate."

So if she doesn't reply for an interview, will they treat this like the Derrick Rose SAT situation of not "cooperating"? Of course not...

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/education/article18879930.html#storylink=cpy
This is precisely why I think Kane is done with this project. He doesn't mention whether or not she met with the NCAA after they contacted her, pressumably because he didn't really care enough to find out.

I'm not sure how this player's situation is remotely close to Rose's situation. In Rose's case the ETS retroactively invalidated his score after he and Memphis failed to respond to their inquiries, here you'd be asking for UNC to retroactively deny the player to a grad program.

This post was edited on 4/19 3:16 PM by BobbyG_tickle_swerv

The NCAA response to UNC will determine if any future enforcement order will withstand a legal threat from a member institution or a player. The NCAA is about to become a worthless appendage if they let UNC off the hook.

Originally posted by lawrencekash:

The NCAA response to UNC will determine if any future enforcement order will withstand a legal threat from a member institution or a player. The NCAA is about to become a worthless appendage if they let UNC off the hook.
There hasn't been a peep out of one member institution since this scandal broke more than 2 1/2 years ago, yet you seem convinced the entire system is a house of cards ready to fall if UNC is let off the hook? Go figure. What seems more likely is the member schools feel the status Quo is just fine and has no intention of expending effort on making trouble for the headquarters.

Given ample time, educators and administrators in the State of North Carolina would try convincing the public that nobody in the state had ever played collegiate sports, earned a penny in media revenue or smoked a single cigarette manufactured there. Obviously expensive lawyers will orate and pen a story that provide's as much defense as UNC can afford. They can afford a lot.

The bad thing is the only people that they will have ZERO credibility with are UK fans and NC St. fans. Unfortunately no one else will care.

The infatuation with this from so many of our own fans is mind boggling. Worrying about it won't change a thing, relax.

Originally posted by oldsports_:
The infatuation with this from so many of our own fans is mind boggling. Worrying about it won't change a thing, relax.
I honestly don't get why someone would complain about a thread on a new article about the biggest scandal in the history of college bball on a bball forum?

I guess you want everyone to bury their heads in the sand like you have?

Originally posted by preacherfan:
I honestly don't get why someone would complain about a thread on a new article about the biggest scandal in the history of college bball on a bball forum?

Well you go ahead and keep reading every little article about ''biggest scandal in the history of college bball ''. Just make sure you don't ask me to talk you off the bridge when nothing happens to them. I sense your not comprehending what your reading. Happy reading!

Originally posted by preacherfan:

Well you go ahead and keep reading every little article about ''biggest scandal in the history of college bball ''. Just make sure you don't ask me to talk you off the bridge when nothing happens to them. I sense your not comprehending what your reading. Happy reading!
Thanks for bumping this thread, not once but twice! Do you wanna go for 3?
wink.r191677.gif

"Thanks for bumping this thread, not once but twice! Do you wanna go for 3?
roll.r191677.gif
"

Sure, if not me, someone else will. I'll see ya tomorrow on the next " biggest scandal in the history of college bball" thread.

The only way UNC skates is if what was written about on message boards and in some media outlets was inaccurate and not factual, there's too many who're interested in this thing for this to be swept under the rug...pair that with the PR nightmares the NCAA have had lately and they are forced to play this one by the rules, no coverup opportunity.
rolleye0011.r191677.gif
uh huh... Pathetic. The NCAA can use whatever rule it wants to soft sell this whole thing. Pull out the statute of limitations garbage or maybe the regular students were getting the benefits too shtick or some other rule in those 400 pages. If no banners come down the NCAA will continue to show its true colors. Letting UNC*** skate will truly prove college amateurism is a complete and utter sham.

Top 50 academic institution whose basketball program was built by Dean Smith = hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil on the side of the NCAA.

Top 200 school with no basketball legacy = throw 'em to he wolves.

People want to debate the Jackie Robinson little league team and its legitimacy, but here we have a REAL scandal, affecting over 3,000 ADULTS and an entire institution, and nothing will be done.

Our world is crazy. Everyone's going to get their fair share in the last day. Scoundrels, the whole lot of us.

Originally posted by TheDude73:

This is precisely why I think Kane is done with this project. He doesn't mention whether or not she met with the NCAA after they contacted her, pressumably because he didn't really care enough to find out.

I'm not sure how this player's situation is remotely close to Rose's situation. In Rose's case the ETS retroactively invalidated his score after he and Memphis failed to respond to their inquiries, here you'd be asking for UNC to retroactively deny the player to a grad program.

This post was edited on 4/19 3:16 PM by BobbyG_tickle_swerv
Just stop it. You are a troll.

roll.r191677.gif
"

Sure, if not me, someone else will. I'll see ya tomorrow on the next " biggest scandal in the history of college bball" thread.
And now troll #2 comes out.

UNC has slid their athletes through school on academic fraud for many years, even the Smith years. This a program that 'does it the right way'.

Nothing is going to happen to them. Get over it! The NCAA is a bunch of gutless fools when it comes to some of the elite programs.

Personally, I think that is why they came out as hard as they did against Syracuse. When they tap the back of UNC's hand over this, they will point out that they lowered the boom on that cheating bunch from New York. Pathetic.

When this is all said and done, look out Cleveland State as Tark said. They are going to make an example of someone.

roll.r191677.gif
"

The UNC*** board is perfect for you if you don't like this topic. They don't discuss it much at all over there. You would fit right in.

I surely think a wrist slap will make the 5 major conferences heavily lean to disbanding from the NCAA and start policing themselves. All the millions of dollars the NCAA has due to the scholarship athletes making it for them. Will be given to the 5 major conferences and they will police themselves. NCAA will crumble and the huge governing body will be abolished, I'm an optimist and truly believe this could happen. IMHO Your thoughts?

From what I gather, the scandal goes back to the mid 80s. If true, alot of sports legacies and people in high places could have their names tarnished. I think that is the reason the NCAA is dragging their feet on this whole thing. I dont expect the NCAA to do much in the way of penalty. Sad really.

NCAA's Report on UNCheat: Nothing to see here. Now, let's all get back to counting our money.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT