ADVERTISEMENT

Athletic article on Cal (damning quotes from coaches)

yea they have options, its just not options that any AD who has a fiduciary responsibility to the program should be in.

You are stoned. That Wisconsin team at the time was 36-3, a number 1 seed and had been been to two straight final fours. That was a very good team.

That’s not even close to being Cal’s biggest tourney upset …much less “in the history of the NCAA tournament.”

The point is that it was the coaching that cost the game and not anything else. They're right that that was most of it. The horrendously biased officiating was another part of it. St Peters just outplayed us.

Outcoached? Of course that's part of losing to a 15 seed as a 2 seed, but switching up your entire season's in-game strategy before Wiscy was intellectual idiocy/suicide. The intimidation factor alone was helping win you games and you throw it away completely to try to play down to your competition (that was pretty good).... Insanity...

It was a rough game. So painful.
One of the worst I have watched in my life. It really hurt but it also opened my eyes. Cal could bring in talent but was incapable of coaching them. I knew that was true after that game.

I would rather drop a notch in talent if we had a coach who could coach once the ball is tipped off.

You will note if you read the sentences that I wrote, that I did not refer to how good Bo Ryan was or how much he got from his teams. I wrote about talent and depth of talent disparity. This is the raw material coaching skills apply to. Of course Ryan did well and so had a very good team. Concentrate on what I wrote and not another notion you would prefer to respond to.
Team Stats
i
i
FG23-4826-54
Field Goal %47.948.1
3PT7-173-5
Three Point %41.260.0
FT18-229-10
Free Throw %81.890.0
Rebounds3422
Offensive Rebounds126
Defensive Rebounds2216
Assists107
Steals15
Blocks24
Total Turnovers106
Fouls1420
Technical Fouls00
Flagrant Fouls00

FTs were once again our demise.....how'd wis get to shoot twice as many FTs as UK???

We were also out rebounded considerably with all of our talent.

yea they have options, its just not options that any AD who has a fiduciary responsibility to the program should be in.

I'll give you that even the MENTION of "lifetime" and the word contract should never be mentioned together in the sports world. Doesn't change that a title, a few other final fours, and 38-0 gets you some mulligans.

One of the worst I have watched in my life. It really hurt but it also opened my eyes. Cal could bring in talent but was incapable of coaching them. I knew that was true after that game.

I would rather drop a notch in talent if we had a coach who could coach once the ball is tipped off.
Some stats that made the difference: Wisconsin shot 47.9 percent from the floor -- 13 points higher than what Kentucky allowed this season -- and went 10 for 20 from 3-point range. The Badgers, ranked 262nd in the country in offensive rebounding this season, finished with 12 to only six for Kentucky. It helped explain how Kentucky could lose despite shooting 48 percent itself and committing only six turnovers.

It is still hard for me to fathom that , with that roster , we could only muster 54 points in our loss to Wisconsin . I realize Wisconsin was an excellent offensive basketball team, but not that great defensively. We attempted 5 threes and made 2 (going on memory here).

Thinking about that game makes my blood boil a bit

Reactions: yoshukai
Team Stats
i
i
FG23-4826-54
Field Goal %47.948.1
3PT7-173-5
Three Point %41.260.0
FT18-229-10
Free Throw %81.890.0
Rebounds3422
Offensive Rebounds126
Defensive Rebounds2216
Assists107
Steals15
Blocks24
Total Turnovers106
Fouls1420
Technical Fouls00
Flagrant Fouls00

FTs were once again our demise.....how'd wis get to shoot twice as many FTs as UK???

We were also out rebounded considerably with all of our talent.
Rebounding and also not coaching that size, athleticism and depth of both to defend better.

The other talent disparity game that comes to mind was Virginia versus Chaminade, but probably nobody here remembers that one.

Rebounding and also not coaching that size, athleticism and depth of both to defend better.

The other talent disparity game that comes to mind was Virginia versus Chaminade, but probably nobody here remembers that one.

That and a very few others

The biggest disparity is in line 5, however. Even with Cal dropping the game in their lap by shelving the platooning system, there is no question that game officiating crew had an agenda/bias.

The biggest disparity is in line 5, however. Even with Cal dropping the game in their lap by shelving the platooning system, there is no question that game officiating crew had an agenda/bias.
The officiating was horrible! But Cals “switch everything “ defense allowed Bo Ryan to dictate matchups. That’s why Willie was on their point guard out at the top of the key picking his nose while Dekker was posting up making our guys his bitch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT