ADVERTISEMENT

Athletic article on Cal (damning quotes from coaches)

the saddest quote was the ''they aren't feared anymore.''
I have been to many games at other SEC arenas and many SEC tournaments over the past 40 years. Most of the time, the home team fans would say something like - I just hope you guys don't blow us out. That is just fan talk, but at least in the back of their minds the players and even coaches, are thinking the same thing. I was in Athens for the Georgia games in 2012 and 2015, and not many UGA fans believed their guys had a chance to keep it close let alone win.

Here comes Kentucky to trounce us and the games were sold out to see mighty UK. Similar feeling to the UGA football fans belief in the last 2 seasons that they are invincible and cannot be beat. It is not arrogance, but confidence. UK lost 2 in 2012 and 1 in 2015 and our fans could not believe that this really happened. Yes, it is a fact that we lost to Wisconsin in 2015, but many of us still cannot believe it really happened. Thanks COW!!

This season and for the past several seasons, the tables have been turned. Our opponent's arenas are still sold out, but they have come to the game because they believe their guys can win. UK is just another team. Many SEC foes expect to beat Kentucky especially on their home floor. During my lifetime this has happened in the late 80's probation years, 2013 season with the NIT loss to Robert Morris, and the past few years. Any team may have a down year but for UK a bad season has usually been 10 losses and an NCAA bid. I just hope we can get COW out soon and not turn into a UCLA, Indiana, or Georgetown. The future does not look bright with COW at the helm.

On paper, there is no way Shabazz Napier and UConn beat the Wildcats in the national title game in 2014, or Frank Kaminsky and Wisconsin stops the undefeated Cats in the Final Four. Luke Maye had no business dropping 17 in the Elite Eight in 2017. “And I mean seriously,’’ one coach says. “How did Saint Peter’s beat them?”

OUCH!
Seriously though! 2014 and 2015 would have been title teams for any other coach.

On paper, there is no way Shabazz Napier and UConn beat the Wildcats in the national title game in 2014, or Frank Kaminsky and Wisconsin stops the undefeated Cats in the Final Four. Luke Maye had no business dropping 17 in the Elite Eight in 2017. “And I mean seriously,’’ one coach says. “How did Saint Peter’s beat them?”

OUCH!

13-24 FTs....that's why in the 2014 title game.

The achile's hill of cal's teams.

Shucks. If only we had a ripped 220 lb. guy as tall as Chuck Hates who could handle, play through contact, and put up numbers like say 48% from the floor and 43% from 3.
I’m
It is. And what is even worse? I think teams look forward to playing us.
Why wouldn’t they, good chance for big win. We might suck but it still looks good on their resume?

This what bothers me the most. Just a complete lack of urgency/hustle/will to win. It's like they're just sleepwalking.

On the other side of the ball it's the same thing. We have never fought over top of a screen, or hedged the screen. We are so lazy and passive on ball defense, it's crazy. It's no secret how to beat our lazy defense. Pick and roll us to death because we will switch every single screen no matter what.

I didn't read all the quotes but did any coach make fun of call for infamously saying "it's not about wins or losses, it's about DREAMS!". That pretty much sums up his career at this point.
In other words, we're still playing AAU type ball. Looks good in the Bahamas, not so good against big time competition.

Amazing, absolutely amazing. A whole lot of us have been saying EXACTLY THE SAME THINGS, yet we get called " basketball bennies" by our crap coach.

Guess we knew what the hell we were talking about huh?
I've been screaming it since the Auburn loss in there EE , Our offense consistently ran the clock down forcing us to get no shot or a forced look , then we lose to KSU , and its been downhill ever since . "Its the economy STUPID " is about as simple as saying ITS THE OFFENSE STUPID to Cal .

O'Neil is a complete idiot but, is dead on with that article.
So, SEC coaches are saying the exact same things that have been said here for the last three years. Huh, imagine that.
I've got more bad news for everyone...our record in January is going to determine whether this team even makes the NCAA tourney this year. UK cannot lose at home next month and we absolutely MUST beat Kansas.
But, reading that article doesn't exactly instill confidence. Calipari's antiquated offense, refusal to play zone and dedication to players who have distinct flaws may be too much to overcome. A 3rd missed NCAA tourney is a bridge too far IMO.

How many of them have Kentucky's brand, fanbase and resources at their disposal? How many of them earn 9 mil/year? Cow has a Ferrari of a program and he's driving it like a Camry. Musselman, Oats, Barnes and Pearl all do much more than him with less. Hell, he couldn't even hang with that 1st year Mizzou coach
We will see how that first year Mizzou coach handles the post season.

Telling about what? A bunch of coward coaches who have probably done nothing yet have opinions about other coaches. I love anonymous opinions and quotes. It’s very very telling.
This is a very stupid reply. It’s very telling that so many of Cal’s peers are saying the same thing. It doesn’t matter if they have won anything or not. They are reinforcing the same thing we fans have been saying for years. You should have thought a bit longer before posting that Brad.

I am not arguing with you there but I am just saying it is easy to pile on when you aren't sitting in that chair. Other than Mussleman and maybe Pearl I can't think of any other SEC coach that could handle this job. It takes a special guy (guy with an ego) to handle this job like it or not or should I say a certain personality. Calipari used to have it, maybe he lost it when Robic left, I don't know. Seems to be clueless now for whatever reason.
The way it has been the last few years it has become pretty obvious Cal can't.

Reactions: Girthang
This is in Barnhart's lap.

regardless of who approved or signed off on the contract, the buck stops with him

UK is in a non leveraged position with a coach who has tanked the program.

That is a fireable offense, short of sanctioned cheating , its about the worst possible outcome an AD can create. It would be one thing if this was a 1 year anomaly, but its so much more than that. Calipari has hijacked the program to his own personal agenda and openly mocks the traditions of the school and fans.

Allowing a coach to take a premiere program, a revenue generating sport that returned money back to the school and run it into the ground.

Barnhart has to go because of this.

I've been screaming it since the Auburn loss in there EE , Our offense consistently ran the clock down forcing us to get no shot or a forced look , then we lose to KSU , and its been downhill ever since . "Its the economy STUPID " is about as simple as saying ITS THE OFFENSE STUPID to Cal .
Even before that, Dan. We had 3 shot clock violations in the last 4 minutes of our FF Wisky game?

If I were coaching against this team my instructions would be;

Double Oscar in the paint at all times. When Oscar gets the ball in the paint send a 3rd guy ballside. Help off everyone but Wallace. Or I would play a diamond and 2 with someone spotting Wallace and someone pushing Wheeler out to mid court. If Wheeler starts his down the lane drive on the left side, let him and our guard head to the other end at a dead run. If Oscar catches the ball free throw line extended back off a step and let him shoot. If he makes it we'll live with it. If he misses there's no other rebounders to worry about.

On offense I would tell my guys to just straight line drive to the basket, stop and pump fake. If they don't go for the fake, (which they will), pass it out to the corners. If they go for the pump fake then shoot it. You either get an easy basket or fouled.

Only other plays I run are pick and rolls and pick and pops from the top of the key. If Oscar hedges out then take the shot. Again, there's no rebounders there if pull Oscar out from the paint.

Basically I'm taking Oscar out of the game and daring the other 4 to beat me. Sometimes that will backfire like it did with Kansas last year and Brooks went off. But that's a chance I'll take.

This is not eye opening stategy. It's what Missouri and UCLA already did.
Great post. And as you know. Someone else going off is the exception rather than the rule.

This is in Barnhart's lap.

regardless of who approved or signed off on the contract, the buck stops with him

UK is in a non leveraged position with a coach who has tanked the program.

That is a fireable offense, short of sanctioned cheating , its about the worst possible outcome an AD can create. It would be one thing if this was a 1 year anomaly, but its so much more than that. Calipari has hijacked the program to his own personal agenda and openly mocks the traditions of the school and fans.

Allowing a coach to take a premiere program, a revenue generating sport that returned money back to the school and run it into the ground.

Barnhart has to go because of this.

When fannies leave the seats and enough sponsors/donors speak up about it, it will happen. 38-0 just 7 years ago. Preseason top 10 this year. Great class signed. Something else has to happen and the right coach has to be available. When things line up, andthe execution on the court and Cal haven't improved, it will happen.

If this season tanks, and the fans take a walk before the end of the season, it might happen this year. If we get better and make a run, we're stuck with him.

Some of you just don't get it. You just don't seem to be able to stop piling on Wheeler. Wheeler is far from being the only problem with this team. Wheeler isn't the reason why guys can't hit wide open shots. Wheeler isn't the reason we try to force the ball to Oscar when he is guarded by 4 defenders. Wheeler isn't the reason the coach has no offensive strategy. You could replace Wheeler with any point guard in the country and it wouldn't make a difference because that person would be coached by Cal. Wheeler's ability to push the ball up the court is the only reason we are able to make some easy baskets. THE PROBLEM IS CAL!!
You misread that completely. It is an example of bad coaching. The last line tied that sentiment up.

When fannies leave the seats and enough sponsors/donors speak up about it, it will happen. 38-0 just 7 years ago. Preseason top 10 this year. Great class signed. Something else has to happen and the right coach has to be available. When things line up, andthe execution on the court and Cal haven't improved, it will happen.

If this season tanks, and the fans take a walk before the end of the season, it might happen this year. If we get better and make a run, we're stuck with hi
you're talking about Calipari.

I'm talking about Barnhart putting Kentucky in a non leveraged position with a coach who is tanking

Based on the talent and depth of talent on both teams the Kentucky loss to Wisconsin is the single greatest upset in the history of the NCAA tournament. It does not matter which round of the tournament it happened. I said it the day it happened, and it's still the fact. It's vastly worse than Duke losing as a 2 to a 15 seed LeHigh, and UK losing as a 2 to 15 seed St. Peters. It's also worse, though the comparison is closer, to Virginia losing as a 1 seed to 16 seed UMBC, but Virginia had far less depth of talent, and talent ranked vastly less out of high school.

John Caliperi has the single greatest upset loss due to horrendous coaching, and based on the talent on that team, and the team he went up against.

Reactions: Girthang
Based on the talent and depth of talent on both teams the Kentucky loss to Wisconsin is the single greatest upset in the history of the NCAA tournament. It does not matter which round of the tournament it happened. I said it the day it happened, and it's still the fact. It's vastly worse than Duke losing as a 2 to a 15 seed LeHigh, and UK losing as a 2 to 15 seed St. Peters. It's also worse, though the comparison is closer, to Virginia losing as a 1 seed to 16 seed UMBC, but Virginia had far less depth of talent, and talent ranked vastly less out of high school.

John Caliperi has the single greatest upset loss due to horrendous coaching, and based on the talent on that team, and the team he went up against.
You are stoned. That Wisconsin team at the time was 36-3, a number 1 seed and had been been to two straight final fours. That was a very good team.

That’s not even close to being Cal’s biggest tourney upset …much less “in the history of the NCAA tournament.”

Reactions: gbl97

Great name.

MONTY PYTHON WIKI

ADVERTISEMENT
MONTY PYTHON WIKI

Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern-schplenden-schlitter-crasscrenbon-fried-digger-dingle-dangle-dongle-dungle-burstein-von-knacker-thrasher-apple-banger-horowitz-ticolensic-grander-knotty-spelltinkle-grandlich-grumblemeyer-spelterwasser-kurstlich-himbleeisen-bahnwagen-gutenabend-bitte-ein-nürnburger-bratwustle-gerspurten-mitzweimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber-shönendanker-kalbsfleisch-mittler-aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm​

You are stoned. That Wisconsin team at the time was 36-3, a number 1 seed and had been been to two straight final fours. That was a very good team.

That’s not even close to being Cal’s biggest tourney upset …much less “in the history of the NCAA tournament.”
You will note if you read the sentences that I wrote, that I did not refer to how good Bo Ryan was or how much he got from his teams. I wrote about talent and depth of talent disparity. This is the raw material coaching skills apply to. Of course Ryan did well and so had a very good team. Concentrate on what I wrote and not another notion you would prefer to respond to.

you're talking about Calipari.

I'm talking about Barnhart putting Kentucky in a non leveraged position with a coach who is tanking

Kentucky has options. Don't kid yourself, and don't let Barnhart-bias cloud your judgment. I don't think anyone is gonna cost UK Basketball significant ticket sales and keep their job with Barnhart as AD. THE FANS are going to have to take one for the program and sit out some games if they really want the guy that hates them to leave the program he's made his litter box.

• Sad
Reactions: BBUK
ADVERTISEMENT