ADVERTISEMENT

SI : The Almanac Has UK 6th in SEC

Should UK be higher in the SEC?

• Total voters
I was watching old footage of UMass from the 1994 season when they had just beaten down Temple and taken their 3rd straight Atlantic 10 title.

Cal used to coach with everything he had.

What the heck happened to the guy?
Success and a deep disdain for any questioning of what he did, led to him surrounding himself with yes men. He never saw himself falling behind because his yes men would never question anything. He built a comfortable circle to insulate himself from his failures.

Last edited:
Cal is every bit the coach now as he was then. Even better actually. We will win the SEC this year and the haters can suck one.

He might be the coach he once was but he has not shown the fire he once had. 9-16 would not reflect improvement. Failing to advance in the tournament would not indicate improvement. You base your judgements off of hope and emotion. Data doesn’t agree with your take.

I was watching old footage of UMass from the 1994 season when they had just beaten down Temple and taken their 3rd straight Atlantic 10 title.

He got comfortable. And soft. The Sharpe and Wheeler debacles just don’t happen 10 years ago. Hell, wheeler never so much as sniffs an offer to play under Cal even in his umass days. There’s no way prime John Calipari takes an overweight 5’7 point guard to run his team or let’s a kid sit the bench and collect a pay check and benefits without ever helping the team.

Hopefully he learned his lesson. He’s said a lot of the right things this off season. But talk is cheap. Let’s see it.

Cal is every bit the coach now as he was then. Even better actually. We will win the SEC this year and the haters can suck one.
kiss-my-butt-mr-potato-head.gif

Some of you will find anything to hopelessly cling to your negative outlook...

It is quite amusing to us positive fans that are actually looking forward to the upcoming season

Reactions: chattanoogawildcat
Looking at the list the only team that should be over Kentucky is Mississippi state, the other 5 I can see the argument for. The SEC is loaded this year

Bama is going to have a down year. I think UT and Arkansas will also be down from last year. But I do like A&M and MSU actually, but not MSU over UK.
UT will be a typical Barnes team very physical but probably won’t be great defensively. Bama have alot of weapons but I’m interested to see how Nelson does going up a level. Arkansas to me is the most interesting one. They took a bunch of guards from bad teams, so how they fit and if the team is good will be something to watch

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
All we need is another phantom recruit signing for the apologists to tell us that we're "being negative".

Reactions: chroix
Nine million and tenure doesn't get you what it used to.
I have zero confidence in Cal, but 6th is a little silly. I’d say 4th is the floor in conference.
Here we are with the #1 recruiting class in the country. Incredible size 6'9, 6'9, 6'11, 7'0, 7'2. If Big Z becomes eligible we will be 2 deep at every position. A roster that I believe has at least 7 future NBA on it. 4 of our players are projected to be lottery picks at the end of the season & we're being picked as only the 6th best team in our own conference. UK basketball as a national name has taken a severe hit over the last several years. What does this tell you about John Calipari as a coach?

Are you talking about the coach that spent a ton of time on the road last year to bring in the best class in the nation? The class that had about 4 top ten recruits plus a top legacy recruit that might be the best of them all, particularly since he will probably be here more than one year. the ratings BEFORE they noticed they all signed with UK. Also the coach that secured some other top flight talent when everyone was complaining about no depth? And he seems to be pretty energized on the sidelines to me. Maybe he did have a lot to do with our two top three pointe shooters being abysmal from long range in our last tourney, but I'm not sure how.

It isn't fun to be on the road even if everything is covered first class, I know from experience. Maybe fun if you have a girl in every port and no morals, like Wilt the Stilt.

Last edited:

Got more money than he will ever spend

He coaches his ass off. He probably over coaches. Everyone can see that. But his philosophies have been lacking. Let’s hope the staff shakeup remedies that

I don’t blame them. On paper it’s too low. Even without big Z. But on paper we should’ve been much much better the past SEVERAL seasons. So I don’t blame any journalist who ranks us low. It doesn’t matter how much talent and experience is on your roster, if the head guy can’t or won’t coach to the best of his ability it doesn’t matter

He coaches his ass off. He probably over coaches. Everyone can see that. But his philosophies have been lacking. Let’s hope the staff shakeup remedies that
Exactly, Cal coaches his ass off. The problem is he coaches like it 1995, it's not 1995.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
He got comfortable. And soft. The Sharpe and Wheeler debacles just don’t happen 10 years ago. Hell, wheeler never so much as sniffs an offer to play under Cal even in his umass days. There’s no way prime John Calipari takes an overweight 5’7 point guard to run his team or let’s a kid sit the bench and collect a pay check and benefits without ever helping the team.

Hopefully he learned his lesson. He’s said a lot of the right things this off season. But talk is cheap. Let’s see it.

I think it was mostly recruiting blunders. Cal had too many yes men in his corner and his staff was awful quite frankly. Totally on him and also, agree he got way too comfortable.

To me the big miss was Cunningham. Having to pivot to Askew who has to be one of most overrated HS guards in past decade really set program back.

'18-'19 was a good team and so was '19-'20 once settled in. '21 was the mess and I think he tried to take guys as stop gap. '22 season was solid until Peacocked.

Fresh start now. Not a heavy transfer team. Old Cal type roster. Not working through a big. I have high, high hopes.

I think it was mostly recruiting blunders. Cal had too many yes men in his corner and his staff was awful quite frankly. Totally on him and also, agree he got way too comfortable.

To me the big miss was Cunningham. Having to pivot to Askew who has to be one of most overrated HS guards in past decade really set program back.

'18-'19 was a good team and so was '19-'20 once settled in. '21 was the mess and I think he tried to take guys as stop gap. '22 season was solid until Peacocked.

Fresh start now. Not a heavy transfer team. Old Cal type roster. Not working through a big. I have high, high hopes.

Missing Cunningham and the weirdness with Trae Young cost us bad. We went from being an NBA feeder team to a pipeline for mediocre west coast college teams to get decent players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT