ADVERTISEMENT

SI : The Almanac Has UK 6th in SEC

Should UK be higher in the SEC?

• Total voters
Nothing less than 1st in the SEC is unacceptable and yet it seems to be ok with current fan base to accept less than 1st. If you are older than 40 surely you are not OK with this and side with me

43y/o. IMHO SEC isn't the same and hasn't been for 20+ years. In my lifetime we've won 21 regular season conference championships, 48%. 10 since 2000, 43%. 6 since 2010, 46%.

Prior to 1980, we were 32/54, almost 60%.

It has been steadily dropping since 1980.

I don't think anything other than Top 3 is successful....but calling not winning it unacceptable is just not true. SEC is a legit conference now.

43y/o. IMHO SEC isn't the same and hasn't been for 20+ years. In my lifetime we've won 21 regular season conference championships, 48%. 10 since 2000, 43%. 6 since 2010, 46%.

Prior to 1980, we were 32/54, almost 60%.

It has been steadily dropping since 1980.

I don't think anything other than Top 3 is successful....but calling not winning it unacceptable is just not true. SEC is a legit conference now.
Everybody has an opinion. I will keep mine.

Bama is going to have a down year. I think UT and Arkansas will also be down from last year. But I do like A&M and MSU actually, but not MSU over UK.
People might forget because of the Sweet 16 run but Arkansas finished 10th in the SEC last year, low bar to hit for improvement honestly

People might forget because of the Sweet 16 run but Arkansas finished 10th in the SEC last year, low bar to hit for improvement honestly

They were a lot better than their record last year imo. But I suppose you are right.

I am shocked they were able to get several redundant transfers to come there. A ton of depth this year.

Some of you will find anything to hopelessly cling to your negative outlook...

It is quite amusing to us positive fans that are actually looking forward to the upcoming season
Explain? First off, I'd take the Cal era at IU , 7 days a week, and twice on Sunday's---Sorry to steal your obvious rebuttal, but hey.....

But I'd like for you to explain why its amusing that people have doubts?

9-16
1st round exit
2nd round exit.

Those are the past 3 seasons. If Cal hadn't had the run he had to start his career, he's gone. Fired. See ya.

This is like super team number, I dunno, how long has he been at UK now? Every season, this what we here....Yet the past three seasons have been, well, not so good. MOF, no FF since 2015....One title that happened 11 years ago. I mean if we are being honest, thjis is the same shit that got Smith ran out of Lexington.

With that being said, I do think this is the type of team Cal wins with---and big. But not to trust him isn't some widely out of left field presumption...After all, 9-16, 1sr ounf loss and 2nd round loss say otherwise.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Heck this year I have no expectations. I am trying something different in basketball. Too many years of frustration. I am not doing the preseason listening that i normally do. I did watch the 4 games in Toronto but besides that nothing besides here. If we are the greatest team / I will find out in November. If we are another lack luster fail of a team I will find out starting in November. Will try to take it one game at a time either way. Will be different for me. No UK stuff out for game days or anything like that. Just watch each game and enjoy or hate it and forget it till the next game.
Football I am watching on line / pod casts / SEC Tv and such each day.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Missing Cunningham and the weirdness with Trae Young cost us bad. We went from being an NBA feeder team to a pipeline for mediocre west coast college teams to get decent players.
Add in James Wiseman getting jerked away from us as well. We had him and Cunningham and at the last minute got surprised.

Add in James Wiseman getting jerked away from us as well. We had him and Cunningham and at the last minute got surprised.
In defense of UK, I think Wiseman was just a punk like some of the other turds who used us as a hat on the table. I don't think he truly had any intention of playing for anyone other than Penny.

Without some key injuries (more than one), I do not believe for one second that five teams finish ahead of this roster in the SEC.

Reactions: Seth_C
Without some key injuries (more than one), I do not believe for one second that five teams finish ahead of this roster in the SEC.
Alabama, Auburn, Tenn, Arkansas and TX A&M....All have the potetnial to be really good. Especially Tenn and A&M(return 4 starters/top 2 scorers).

Its not a stretch TBH...UK beefed up for sure with Tre and then Reeves returning. But Cats are pretty young---and even with a goodg class, this class is not considered that strong overall.

Alabama, Auburn, Tenn, Arkansas and TX A&M....All have the potetnial to be really good. Especially Tenn and A&M(return 4 starters/top 2 scorers).

Its not a stretch TBH...UK beefed up for sure with Tre and then Reeves returning. But Cats are pretty young---and even with a goodg class, this class is not considered that strong overall.
It's not impossible for sure. I just don't believe it will happen.

I was watching old footage of UMass from the 1994 season when they had just beaten down Temple and taken their 3rd straight Atlantic 10 title.

Cal used to coach with everything he had.

What the heck happened to the guy?
Same thing that happens to all who reach the mountain top except for a few 0.0001 percenters (Kobe, Jordan, Bird etc etc). They get fat and happy. Stop caring so much.

Reactions: UKWildcatT
Gonna be lot of people eating words
This is a different bunch
I just can't get behind rankings anymore. After BJ Boston came in being called ''Baby Durant'' and was the worst college player I've ever seen. I will get excited when DJ Wagner and Justin Edwards comes into the Kansas game and drops their nuts on them. Like Fox and Monk against Michigan State.

Especially with how we’ve looked over the last several years. Cal has something to prove again.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
I was watching old footage of UMass from the 1994 season when they had just beaten down Temple and taken their 3rd straight Atlantic 10 title.

Cal used to coach with everything he had.

What the heck happened to the guy?
$8 million per year is what happened

Explain? First off, I'd take the Cal era at IU , 7 days a week, and twice on Sunday's---Sorry to steal your obvious rebuttal, but hey.....

But I'd like for you to explain why its amusing that people have doubts?

9-16
1st round exit
2nd round exit.

Those are the past 3 seasons. If Cal hadn't had the run he had to start his career, he's gone. Fired. See ya.

This is like super team number, I dunno, how long has he been at UK now? Every season, this what we here....Yet the past three seasons have been, well, not so good. MOF, no FF since 2015....One title that happened 11 years ago. I mean if we are being honest, thjis is the same shit that got Smith ran out of Lexington.

With that being said, I do think this is the type of team Cal wins with---and big. But not to trust him isn't some widely out of left field presumption...After all, 9-16, 1sr ounf loss and 2nd round loss say otherwise.
Coach K had a break even season in 95. He lost multiple first round games in embarrassing fashion. He went 13-11 during Covid.

It’s not like we haven’t had good teams since 2015. 2017 could have easily went on to win the title. 2019 got to Elite 8. 2020 team was poised for a great run and was peaking at the right time before the season was cancelled. 2022 team beat the two teams in the title game by a combined 50 points and was injury plagued heading down the stretch of that season.

Until Self finally broke through with his second title 2 years ago he was ridiculed for multiple early round and embarrassing loses. Now everyone forgets those like they didn’t happen.

I feel very justified in my faith in Cal, because I don’t base my faith on a short time span. Anything can look bleak without proper context.

Coach K had a break even season in 95. He lost multiple first round games in embarrassing fashion. He went 13-11 during Covid.

It’s not like we haven’t had good teams since 2015. 2017 could have easily went on to win the title. 2019 got to Elite 8. 2020 team was poised for a great run and was peaking at the right time before the season was cancelled. 2022 team beat the two teams in the title game by a combined 50 points and was injury plagued heading down the stretch of that season.

Until Self finally broke through with his second title 2 years ago he was ridiculed for multiple early round and embarrassing loses. Now everyone forgets those like they didn’t happen.

I feel very justified in my faith in Cal, because I don’t base my faith on a short time span. Anything can look bleak without proper context.
Coach K also has won 5 National titles, and been to 13 FF's.

No one said UK has not had good teams since 2015----They have.

When is the last time Self/K---who yu brought into this conversation had 3 seasons in a row, as Cal has had? Which includes a 9-16 year. K's last losing season was in 1983. Selfs last losing season was 1994----at Oral Roberts. K last missed the NCAAT during COVID. Before that, it was 1983. Self has never missed the NCAAT at Kansas. Or Illinois...His last miss was 1998, while at Tulsa.

Losing in the 1st round/2nd round is not the end of the world---but when you couple that with a 9-16 year, well.........................And look Cal has brought this on himself. He walked the walk and talked the talk for 10 years----And now he's not living up to the monster HE created.

Cal has not won the SECT since 2018---In his first 8 seasons, he won SECT 5x's...MOF, UK has not made the SECT Final since winning it in 2018----So minus COVID, that is 4 straight SECT's with no UK in the Final.

See where the "concern: is coming from?

Your faith in Cal is certainly justified....But the concern is just as justified.

aoegPNA_460swp.webp

• Haha
Reactions: Samurai Cat
Gold Standard, folks. Nothing to see here.

What happened to this team being a monster? Sounds like more of the same to me.

He might be the coach he once was but he has not shown the fire he once had. 9-16 would not reflect improvement. Failing to advance in the tournament would not indicate improvement. You base your judgements off of hope and emotion. Data doesn’t agree with your take.
I'm not sure we will win the SEC cuz its tough these days. But your data is selective and incomplete for calculating anything this year. BTW I am a data analyst :)

I actually like what he's done change / transform to what is being done now.

I'm not sure we will win the SEC cuz its tough these days. But your data is selective and incomplete for calculating anything this year. BTW I am a data analyst :)

I actually like what he's done change / transform to what is being done now.

I like it too in theory but if it just leads to the same outcome then no. But like you said, data is incomplete. Looks good on paper for sure.

Reactions: BasketBallJunkie-UK
I like it too in theory but if it just leads to the same outcome then no. But like you said, data is incomplete. Looks good on paper for sure.
I liked what I saw at the Global Jam. They fed off each other and Cal let them do their thing. 5 out, you kidding me lol. We have a bunch of dogs on this team, something we've been missing. They're not going to roll over for anyone. The assists percentage to points was off the charts.

But you are correct. We won't know until they get into competition. I'm fairly optimistic that Cal has everthing on the right track finally. He's too good of a coach not to realize it. Getting fat and happy can provide false security.

Reactions: chroix
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT