ADVERTISEMENT

Should We Be Flattered?

catdance

Sophomore
Feb 21, 2016
Duke raising money for Houston flood victims with 'Knockout Harvey' event

60 Minutes will probably do a story on Duke's commitment to the cause.

ESPN already working on a 30 for 30:

What if I told you that the best basketball program in the country also found time to raise money for charitable causes? And what if I told you that those same student athletes were all straight-A students. Blah, blah, blah.

Justise Winslow is leading the charge on the charity drive for Harvey. His hometown his Houston, so I doubt that he was thinking of UK when this campaign for raising money started. He was most likely thinking of his family, friends, and the city where he is from.

Justise Winslow is leading the charge on the charity drive for Harvey. His hometown his Houston, so I doubt that he was thinking of UK when this campaign for raising money started. He was most likely thinking of his family, friends, and the city where he is from.
Weird how Cameron wasn't available last weekend, eh?

Weird how Cameron wasn't available last weekend, eh?

No - not weird. If you are trying to insinuate that Justise and Duke are raising money this weekend because Barrett will be in town you are misinformed on multiple levels.

1) Barrett's visit is on the 15th. Not this weekend.
2) Being from Houston, I can tell you that there are a lot of people who lost everything, so it makes sense that Justise would enlist the help of his University to try and raise as much money as possible for people in need.
3) Get over yourself you senseless prick.

are people really getting upset because Duke is also helping to raise money for relief of a hurricane that's done an estimated $110 billion worth of damage?
Not upset. Just wondering if they would be doing it, if Cal hadn't already done it.

Helping victims shouldnt be about who's first to have the idea......... it just matters that you help. So setting the sports d**k measuring contest aside... I applaud Duke ... and I hope every school does something similar!!!!!
I depends on what's in your heart. Are you doing it to help victims or to help yourself?

Reactions: Blueaz
Helping victims shouldnt be about who's first to have the idea......... it just matters that you help. So setting the sports d**k measuring contest aside... I applaud Duke ... and I hope every school does something similar!!!!!
I agree with this. With Irma looming, and potentially worse than Harvey. A whole nother level of help is going to be needed.

Reactions: DCFseattle
I depends on what's in your heart. Are you doing it to help victims or to help yourself?

How much money or effort of your own time have you given to victims of Harvey? How can you judge people or an institution for helping people who absolutely lost everything in their lives. Please stop trying to denigrate Duke, and put that effort into helping people in need. Seriously get over yourself, and gain some perspective.

Reactions: WildMoon
What's sad is that everything they do is not out of principle it's simply trying to keep up with Cal and UK: one & dones, family, pro-days, fundraisers

Your duke envy has made you lose your mind. Fundraising for victims has been around for a very long time. Cal didnt start it... not even on the college level.

Yeah they are copying everything we do basketball wise.............. but K has been fund raising for a very long time........ whether its for cancer or natural disaster victims.

I'm not criticizing their fundraiser...glad they're doing it no matter what the reason. It's needed! Added fundraiser to the list in jest.

My copy cat post stands, minus the fundraiser

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL
You'll never really know what Cal or K's intentions are so until you know .... it does not matter and since we'll never know.... it will never matter. Thats between their hearts and the creator.
Nobody is saying that they shouldn't do it. I'm just questioning the motivation. I mean it's not like they haven't patterned their whole program after ours. There is not a genuine thing about that program, right down to K's hair dye.

How much money or effort of your own time have you given to victims of Harvey? How can you judge people or an institution for helping people who absolutely lost everything in their lives. Please stop trying to denigrate Duke, and put that effort into helping people in need. Seriously get over yourself, and gain some perspective.
Go to hell Dukie. If you weren't embarrassed about your copy cat program, you wouldn't be over here trying to circle the wagons. You are too late. When is your Pro Day this year?

Reactions: Zakk Wyldcat
are people really getting upset because Duke is also helping to raise money for relief of a hurricane that's done an estimated $110 billion worth of damage?

Doesn't bother me any. Nobody in college basketball will ever raise more money than Cal. Minus maybe Dickie V.

Reactions: Blueaz
i hope UNC, little brothel, and every other team in the NCAA copies us and raises money for Harvey relief (and soon irma) . I hate duke as much as the next UK fan but this is one instance where I am glad people are copying us.

Reactions: DCFseattle
Nobody is saying that they shouldn't do it. I'm just questioning the motivation. I mean it's not like they haven't patterned their whole program after ours. There is not a genuine thing about that program, right down to K's hair dye.

The why of doing charitable things may be the most insignificant part of it. Whether it's for pure desire to do good, to impress a chick, to put yourself in the headlines, or because somebody you envy did it... Whatever the reason, it makes no difference. The end result of getting somebody help who desperately needs it is the only thing that matters. Like somebody said before me, the money raised will spend the same no matter why.

Reactions: Bkocats
Go to hell Dukie. If you weren't embarrassed about your copy cat program, you wouldn't be over here trying to circle the wagons. You are too late. When is your Pro Day this year?

I am sure you would not be talking to me like that if you were standing in my shoes. Until you have experienced walking into the homes of loved ones that have lost everything from flood waters then you can tell me to go to hell.

With you perspective on life you will surely be there before I will.

Reactions: trueblue1958
Don't think the ones in Houston who receive assistance give a rats ass who's fundraiser the money came from. Let's not be so petty.

OMG. I'm embarrassed for some of you right now.

#PrayersAreStillWithYouTexas

Hopefully there are already people planning to raise funds for Hurricane Irma as she is about to blast Florida and South Carolina. Bless those in her path. :cry:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT