ADVERTISEMENT

Should IU vs UK Happen Again?

Sawnee Cat

All-American
Aug 18, 2007
Florida Gulf Coast
From the 1970's through the late 1980's Indiana was UK's number 1 hated rival. Kentucky and Indiana played some of the best college basketball games in the sports history. That has changed and now we don't schedule each other anymore.

But what if. What if the two teams could meet on a neutral site with the YUM Center in Louisville hosting every other year and Indianapolis every other year. With all of the issues and problems UL has caused itself maybe Kentucky will finally be allowed to use the arena. The YUM could use the money and there is no Pitino or Jurich to block it. There is no doubt the first year we played there Kentucky would set the arena record for attendance.

Now the question should it happen? Is there too much bad blood and is IU's program competitive enough to earn such a high profile game with Kentucky? Thoughts.

Last edited:
Never in Bloomington ever again. That's the baseline for any future talks. Their fans behaved like literal spitting barbarians. Vile, jealous creatures, those Indiana fans. Best avoided if possible.

That being said, UK playing them is tossing them a lifeline. It gives them unearned relevance.

Let them keep drowning in mediocrity.

Wrong question. Obviously it can happen. But should it?

No. Kentucky has nothing to gain from a game with a has-been program whose fans are, for the most part, vile, bitter, wretched reprobates. On the other hand, Indiana's reputation is burnished just from association with its betters in Lexington. Why elevate an enemy that would love to get on the same level again just to be able to spread the same level of rhetorical sewage that was common decades ago when they WERE near equals.

Wrong question. Obviously it can happen. But should it?

No. Kentucky has nothing to gain from a game with a has-been program whose fans are, for the most part, vile, bitter, wretched reprobates. On the other hand, Indiana's reputation is burnished just from association with its betters in Lexington. Why elevate an enemy that would love to get on the same level again just to be able to spread the same level of rhetorical sewage that was common decades ago when they WERE near equals.
I agree and changed the title. Should it is the question?

I wouldn't mind playing the Hoosiers bi-annually at Lucas Oil. They're a major historic rival.

Last account I got was from an IU board which said UK was afraid of them. UK=Foghorn Leghorn, IU = Little Chicken Hawk.

I don't see where we need to play that game. If it is at Lucas Oil, then I would feel better about it. I don't ever want to see a home & home with that mickey mouse bunch again.

Reactions: awf
Screw IU. They don't deserve to play us. Let them wallow in their pitifulness. IU and UK played some of the best games in SPORTS HISTORY? I saw practically every game we played them from 1970 on and while it was a heated rivalry hardly any of those games would make the top 500 in sports history let alone be near the top IMO. I don't miss them at all. I think of IU at their best with Knight at the helm and he was such a terrible person. A bad winner and a worse loser. Everything sports strives not to be. Other than his era they aren't really much of a program. Everybody talks about K being such a jackass but Knight makes him look like the Dali Lama. His stench will always be on IU.

Never in Bloomington ever again. That's the baseline for any future talks. Their fans behaved like literal spitting barbarians. Vile, jealous creatures, those Indiana fans. Best avoided if possible.

That being said, UK playing them is tossing them a lifeline. It gives them unearned relevance.

Rupp made a monumental mistake by giving Dean Smyth a shot at us and that was one of the biggest mistakes in UK history. Smyth began one of the biggest cheating scandals in NCAA history. Never again!

From the 1970's through the late 1980's Indiana was UK's number 1 hated rival. Kentucky and Indiana played some of the best college basketball games in the sports history. That has changed and now we don't schedule each other anymore.

But what if. What if the two teams could meet on a neutral site with the YUM Center in Louisville hosting every other year and Indianapolis every other year. With all of the issues and problems UL has caused itself maybe Kentucky will finally be allowed to use the arena. The YUM could use the money and there is no Pitino or Jurich to block it. There is no doubt the first year we played there Kentucky would set the arena record for attendance.

Now the question should it happen? Is there too much bad blood and is IU's program competitive enough to earn such a high profile game with Kentucky? Thoughts.
yes they beat us the last time we played and have bragging rights. plus, the way the series ended kinda makes us look scared.

yes they beat us the last time we played and have bragging rights. plus, the way the series ended kinda makes us look scared.
You are so full of BS, troll. And remember when you posted you don’t watch or follow UK basketball? You are just a UK football fan? Just stfu. Everyone here knows your deal.

Neutral court I'm OK with but not at Ass. Hall...IUsedtobe fans showed their fat asses and UK doesn't need to bother going back there.

You are 100% spot on.

My Wife and I were cursed, threatened, had food and drinks thrown on us, and as we got into our car to leave, IU idiots started trying to tip our car over. Only after I pulled my gun from underneath my seat and pointed at one of them did they disperse. I still wish I would have shot every one those pathetic losers.

There's not a worse fan base I've ever encountered than those a holes. Louisville is a distant second.

I think it was the 2nd most significant game on our schedule with the ability (due to branding) to be the most significant. It was the best rivalry we had and the game is worse for us not playing it. It's an organic animosity that can't easily be replaced.

I think it was the 2nd most significant game on our schedule with the ability (due to branding) to be the most significant. It was the best rivalry we had and the game is worse for us not playing it. It's an organic animosity that can't easily be replaced.
Wrong. IU is trash. Not a rival and definitely not relevant.

Nope.

Their fans are the most self-righteous fan base out there, imo. They hate UK, they hate Cal. They think we are corrupt. Why would they even want to play a bunch of cheaters? We are beneath them.[sick]

The Assembly Hall crowd in 2011/2012 was classless. The Rupp student section would never be allowed to behave in that manner nor chant the obscene filth IU students directed at UK. Anthony Davis’s parents endured classless comments directed at them and their son.

Nope, they don’t deserve the privilege of playing the University of Kentucky.

I'm not for it, but, if they played on neutral courts, at least no one would have to endure what went on in Bloomington.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT