ADVERTISEMENT

Shocker fans sure are an angry bunch

Been reading it for a few days. For the most part, they seem pretty balanced/insightful. Of course there's some cheap shots and broad generalizations about our fanbase but can find that on any rival forum.

Did think it was interesting how they took umbrage with their players' remarks being characterized as "trash talking" and claiming they were "taken out of context," though. Think the "that's gonna get shutdown" comment in particular was pretty straightforward. As was Marshall's "hope Bam's in shape, because he'll have to be tomorrow." Nothing malicious, but definitely constitutes trash talking in my book.

Honestly, it's the only thing scaring me about this game. These guys hate us, and we have a bunch of kids on our roster who wouldn't really know why. I don't like playing teams with an axe to grind.

Reactions: Richard Cory
Well their team's mantra is "play angry"

Also seems like Marshall is playing up the revenge factor a little too much. He had his team watch the 2014 game yesterday when they only have 3 players left over from then

I think they're over thinking this game and the Cats come out to prove a point today

The articles I have been reading in Louisville's newspaper have showed nothing but smart ass comments from their players and coaches in my view.
Then their coach shows up for the pre-game news interview wearing a white shirt with a magic marker Nike swoosh on it, this after his players ran their mouth about how Nike gives us everything and takes care of us and how our players are privileged.

I hope we show up really focused today and shut them up.
I am OK with a player talking with confidence, but some of what they are mouthing is right there with Arkansas players.

Like their competitive spirit however not going to help them stop Kentucky driving to the basket. Briscoe actually has a great matchup to drive and dish or finish. Just need a few of the shots to start falling. This could be another break out game like the 2nd Tennessee game where every thing was clicking. Amazing how good the offense looks when shots go in . The passing was good against Northern Kentucky except the shots did not fall . I am thinking this will be closer to 15pt win now that they have a tournament game behind them.

Reactions: awf and d2atTech
Yeah. It was pretty interesting peek. They are a very confident bunch to say the least. I'm just glad it's their team doing the trash talking. Our guys respond a bit robotically, but it's better than looking like false messiahs. They seem surprised that our team hasn't stopped practices to watch all the shocker games this year.

I don't think there'd be any shame in losing to them, because I don't think either team is going to win it all. The "chair" comment had to be a joke. No sane person would put any real stock into such minutia.

Last edited:
Reactions: d2atTech
Honestly, it's the only thing scaring me about this game. These guys hate us, and we have a bunch of kids on our roster who wouldn't really know why. I don't like playing teams with an axe to grind.
I think you have a point here,most teams we play have a built in hate/dislike for the UK jersey and anyone wearing it.Our kids come in without a particular hate/ dislike for anyone and aren't here long enough to develop one or understand why others feel that way.I think this team is more a victim of that mindset than any team Cal has had here.

I don't consider what their team has been saying as trash talking, it just sounds like a confident team full of guys that have won a bunch of games. I think they're gonna need every bit of confidence they've got today, Bam is gonna make them cry.

I really like the way the Cats have handled the media and game preparation. These guys are already handling themselves like pros. I sense a quiet confidence in this group, they've talked more about playing for each other rather than talking about the other team. If UK plays within themselves it doesn't really matter what WSU does, they'll be heading back to the wheat fields.

I think you have a point here,most teams we play have a built in hate/dislike for the UK jersey and anyone wearing it.Our kids come in without a particular hate/ dislike for anyone and aren't here long enough to develop one or understand why others feel that way.I think this team is more a victim of that mindset than any team Cal has had here.
It seems like this team is facing revenge more so for the '15 season than last year's team. I think a lot of people realize this is a great year for revenge as this is a good (but not great) UK team.

....and yet here we are 30-5 and winners of 12 straight.
That Witchta team is in for it....
Don't talk smack is the lesson to be learned today....

Our players don't do the little things since they are 5 stars. How about they did the little things better than you and have expanded their games in ways you can't compare to and that is why they are 5 stars. Our kids have earned their status the same way these little WSU players have earned their lower one.

What really gets old in college basketball is this false narrative of "we do it right" from schools with lesser success (enter louisville and especially Wisconsin). I cannot think of a better bunch of kids than Cal has had over last 8 years. I'm not sure any team does it "more right" than UK.

And Cal would never tell a player on another team "he better be in shape".

We really do get vilified. But that just means we are successful. Its fine. Good luck Shockers. But win or lose, please don't act like you have some special formula, or that some how you and your players are better folk. You are not, we are all the same, even if we have kids that jump higher and ultimately will get paid. They are still just people. No better or worse.

Our players don't do the little things since they are 5 stars. How about they did the little things better than you and have expanded their games in ways you can't compare to and that is why they are 5 stars. Our kids have earned their status the same way these little WSU players have earned their lower one.
Exactly. That whole "5 star players are spoiled entitled brats who don't work as hard and aren't as gritty as the 3 star guys" is so played out. Seems like their fans, players and coaches all share that mindset

Reactions: EliteBlue and awf
The fans have every right to want revenge and be angry at UK. What we did in 2014 isn't easily forgotten by fanbases.

Some fun reading. Still speechless about pushing the chairs in part though. The little things?
I was going to post the same thing. Page 4. I laughed my ass off after reading that.
Our players pushed their chairs in, there's didn't… .
Hilarious.

They seems pretty cool to me. I agree that our own internet fans are some of the worst fans in existence but game time U.K. Fans are generally great and super respectful. Good luck shockers. I think you guys have a solid team. Sucks we are playing early, again...

Shockers' Darral Willis Jr. calls Kentucky 'nothing special'

INDIANAPOLIS -- A Wichita State player said Kentucky, the team the Shockers face Sunday in the second round of the NCAA Tournament, is "nothing special," a comment that prompted responses from an NBA standout.

Darral Willis Jr., who averages 10.0 points and 5.2 rebounds per game, said the Shockers don't fear the favored Wildcats.

"They come on ESPN, they play on ESPN every game, so I've just seen them play a few times, but they're nothing special, nothing we can't do," Willis told Lex 18 News in Lexington, Kentucky. "We're not scared to play any team on this planet earth. We're ready and we'll be ready to play [Sunday]."

Willie Cauley-Stein, a Sacramento Kings forward and former Kentucky standout, tweeted his displeasure with the comment.

Follow
Willie Cauley-Stein

✔@THEwillieCS15

All smoove until that bell rings https://twitter.com/kysportsradio/status/843225886413471745 …

10:11 PM - 18 Mar 2017

This week, Wichita State's head coach Gregg Marshall and his players discussed the chip they have after the NCAA tournament selection committee slotted the Shockers in a 10-seed position. On Saturday, some of Wichita State's players talked about the differences between Kentucky's blue-chip roster and Wichita State's blue-collar crew.

De'Aaron Fox said he wasn't concerned about anything but the game when asked about those comments.

"We're going to play basketball," Fox told reporters. "I'm not worried about what anybody says right now."

Reactions: EliteBlue
Ask Monk how he got that "Entitled" bruise on his ass,or Fox got punched in the face by an Arkansas thug on a drive,or how many beatings Bam takes in the SEC allowed by handicapping officials.
Yep,it's so easy to be a UK Player,every game is a cakewalk unless the Cappuccino Machine breaks down and the personal waiters are late

Ask Monk how he got that "Entitled" bruise on his ass,or Fox got punched in the face by an Arkansas thug on a drive,or how many beatings Bam takes in the SEC allowed by handicapping officials.
Yep,it's so easy to be a UK Player,every game is a cakewalk unless the Cappuccino Machine breaks down and the personal waiters are late
Or Hawkins how he likes being double forearmed shivered on an illegal screen.

Or Briscoe being slammed to the ground on a off balanced lefty drive.
This team has earned their stripes and is ready to roll!

Shockers' Darral Willis Jr. calls Kentucky 'nothing special'

INDIANAPOLIS -- A Wichita State player said Kentucky, the team the Shockers face Sunday in the second round of the NCAA Tournament, is "nothing special," a comment that prompted responses from an NBA standout.

Darral Willis Jr., who averages 10.0 points and 5.2 rebounds per game, said the Shockers don't fear the favored Wildcats.

"They come on ESPN, they play on ESPN every game, so I've just seen them play a few times, but they're nothing special, nothing we can't do," Willis told Lex 18 News in Lexington, Kentucky. "We're not scared to play any team on this planet earth. We're ready and we'll be ready to play [Sunday]."

Willie Cauley-Stein, a Sacramento Kings forward and former Kentucky standout, tweeted his displeasure with the comment.

Follow
Willie Cauley-Stein

✔@THEwillieCS15

All smoove until that bell rings https://twitter.com/kysportsradio/status/843225886413471745 …

10:11 PM - 18 Mar 2017

This week, Wichita State's head coach Gregg Marshall and his players discussed the chip they have after the NCAA tournament selection committee slotted the Shockers in a 10-seed position. On Saturday, some of Wichita State's players talked about the differences between Kentucky's blue-chip roster and Wichita State's blue-collar crew.

De'Aaron Fox said he wasn't concerned about anything but the game when asked about those comments.

"We're going to play basketball," Fox told reporters. "I'm not worried about what anybody says right now."
LOL, love Willie: "… .smoove… "

[QUOTE="canebreak, post: 5757837, member: 2602"But win or lose, please don't act like you have some special formula, or that some how you and your players are better folk. You are not, we are all the same, even if we have kids that jump higher and ultimately will get paid. They are still just people. No better or worse.[/QUOTE]

I'll just leave this here for irony's sake.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT