ADVERTISEMENT

Dontae Allen is in the portal ...

Bury the film, but also burn it and pour salt over it. That season was beyond a train wreck and just proved if Allen is in a rotation at UK, you will have the worst team in Program history. He's the definition of having to score to offset what he'll give up. Remember many projecting what he'd do when he left the "shackles" of Cal and he lost playing time and stunk. So now we need to bring him back to make some odd statement to Cal even with it proven that Cal was actually correct in his assessment?

It is a strong consensus on what we felt regarding change being needed. It's been done. To our amazement, Cal actually created the out for UK to do what needed to be done and save $. So the initial celebrations, frustration I fully understood. But we're to the point I'm excited what Mark Pope is doing...I don't care what Arkansas does/doesn't do or what Cal thinks or does. We lived that and wanted fresh new perspective and have it. I'm not being fair to the OP as they were just sharing a take, but sometimes we all reach a point of enough-just move on. If you want someone to leave you, they do, you also can't be angry they were looking to leave because if anything they sensed that it was time to part as well. It worked out how we all wanted and now our "sticking it to Cal" is bringing back a reminder of the worst season in the history of UK Basketball?
Yeah, I will keep up with Arkansas just to see Cal not meet expectations yet again. He can change and start buying portal talent but if the last 5 years prove anything, it won’t matter. He will get tight and have them play wrong, or they may not play defense anymore. It was funny that some people thought Allen would blow up at a smaller school, he never even played.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
You are right to speak up for the OP. To be fair, it's not him at all as much as just personally sick of the mere mention of anything Calipari related. Then to talk of taking a player to "stick it to Cal" when it made 0 sense--why would Cal care if you took a guy who stinks? Hell he'd really be "upset" if Allen started and played 40 mins.

But this is a more than fair response to my tone/take. Between the Cal and Trent Noah threads....I was about to go off so apologize this is the one that set me off. Doesn't change my stance but the tone with the response could've been far more polite.
I had to do a double take to make sure it was from you because I’ve NEVER seen you take that tone with someone. I assumed, on some level, your day was going less than great. i just didn’t know what the source was. It happens, and my record certainly isn’t pristine either.

I agree whole heartedly with your stance and perspective on the OP’s idea. And while it wasn’t directed towards me (and there’s no reason that it should be) I still appreciate your apology to the OP. You’re good people.

Dontae is taking his "covid year", and is in the portal. I can't think of anything that would please me any more than for Mark Pope to sign Dontae Allen. I wouldn't care if he was the last man on the end of the bench and got nothing other than garbage minutes ... just to stick that in the face of "the former guy."

Any of y'all think Dontae could help the 'Cats this coming season ?

Go 'Cats ! ! !
It is a single spot that won't make or break Kentucky, so I am all in even if like you said he never gets into the game. Regardless of how others might feel, I think Dontae got a raw deal from Cal. This would be a kind gesture that really wouldn't be that big of a cost to the program and would help right a wrong. Dontae was never going to be a great player, but a good coach would have figured out how to leverage his 3 point shooting by running plays to get him open. I don't think we were a good 3-point shooting team and could have used his shooting in certain situations.

@Ripcord65 I usually like your posts
But I think this one is a bad take

And with all due respect understand us talking about Calipari to an extent in reference to recruiting and actual games but it can be taken too far. Kinda makes us sound like we’re a jilted ex that just wants to get back at the one who broke our heart

we’re Kentucky and we are better than that
Good point. There are BIG jilted ex vibes around here lately

It is a single spot that won't make or break Kentucky, so I am all in even if like you said he never gets into the game. Regardless of how others might feel, I think Dontae got a raw deal from Cal. This would be a kind gesture that really wouldn't be that big of a cost to the program and would help right a wrong. Dontae was never going to be a great player, but a good coach would have figured out how to leverage his 3 point shooting by running plays to get him open. I don't think we were a good 3-point shooting team and could have used his shooting in certain situations.
He has no place on a good Kentucky team. Cal was wrong about a lot of things but not Allen.

If Allen is a big contributor on your D1 team. You do not have a good D1 team.

It's weird that the entire board that wanted Cal gone still won't shut up about Cal even when he's finally gone lol.

As far as Allen, no. Just no. He wasn't good at UK. He wasn't good at WKU. Just........why lol.

What does the coaching staff think?

That's what matters. If the staff thought he could contribute meaningful minutes, and brought him in here, I'd be glad to have another KY kid here. Not just to stick anything to Cal, though, even if I understand the sentiment. That's not a good enough reason.

Some of you are quick to say no about Dontae, but I recall times when all of our scholarships weren't used, so I still don't see the harm. I recall the head games played on Allen by putting him into games and snatching him out in less than 30 seconds. That kind of nonsense can completely destroy a player's confidence which is what I believed happened to Dontae. The name escapes me now, but early in RP's time at Kentucky, he had a bench player whose only job was to come off the bench to shoot 3s. Dontae could have played that role for Cal, but Cal hated the fact that the kid was from Kentucky so much so that he didn't even try to find a way to use the kids shooting. I know that most won't agree with me which is your right.

That's what matters. If the staff thought he could contribute meaningful minutes, and brought him in here, I'd be glad to have another KY kid here. Not just to stick anything to Cal, though, even if I understand the sentiment. That's not a good enough reason.
I don't do guilt by association.
If they would choose to bring him here, I couldn't care less about that coach that needs to go by by in our minds.

Reactions: Girthang
No. There are too many players better than him. He would never see the floor.
It remains to be seen how many minutes Perry and Chandler receive.
He needs to finish up at NKU, close to home, where family and friends can watch him play.
More likely Thomas More

No. There are too many players better than him. He would never see the floor.
It remains to be seen how many minutes Perry and Chandler receive.
He needs to finish up at NKU, close to home, where family and friends can watch him play.
I know Chandler has been away for 2 years, but that kid was too good and too young to have lost that much. If he was in his late 20s or early 30s, there would be a reason for concern, but not at his age.

Reactions: JASUN74
You're not going to find many quality players to fill up the last 3 or 4 scholarships. No very good player wants to sit and get mop up minutes. You're going to have to get a few guys that know their limitations and just want to be apart of the team. I'd be fine with him coming with the expectation of being a cigar man, but if he played well, he might get bonus minutes. If you don't sign a few guys like Allen, then don't expect to fill up all 13 scholarships.

Dontae is taking his "covid year", and is in the portal. I can't think of anything that would please me any more than for Mark Pope to sign Dontae Allen. I wouldn't care if he was the last man on the end of the bench and got nothing other than garbage minutes ... just to stick that in the face of "the former guy."

Go 'Cats ! ! !
No problem at all if there is a scholarship left after the roster is 💯 done.

would be a better practice player than Zan Payne.

Reactions: JASUN74
You're not going to find many quality players to fill up the last 3 or 4 scholarships. No very good player wants to sit and get mop up minutes. You're going to have to get a few guys that know their limitations and just want to be apart of the team. I'd be fine with him coming with the expectation of being a cigar man, but if he played well, he might get bonus minutes. If you don't sign a few guys like Allen, then don't expect to fill up all 13 scholarships.
This is what I’ve been saying. I don’t get people who are saying guys like Caleb Lohner and Allen aren’t worthy of a scholly spot.

WHY NOT? It ain’t like we have a shortage. We only have nine players. If we don’t offer to any guys on this level, then we’ll likely just end up leaving extra scholarships unused. Isn’t a highly experienced D1 player at least better than an empty chair when you’re facing bench depth issues?

In truth, 5th year seniors like these guys are actually perfect for this sort of thing. They only use the scholly for one season and then it’s immediately available for someone better the next. We lose NOTHING by offering these guys.

Some of you are quick to say no about Dontae, but I recall times when all of our scholarships weren't used, so I still don't see the harm. I recall the head games played on Allen by putting him into games and snatching him out in less than 30 seconds. That kind of nonsense can completely destroy a player's confidence which is what I believed happened to Dontae. The name escapes me now, but early in RP's time at Kentucky, he had a bench player whose only job was to come off the bench to shoot 3s. Dontae could have played that role for Cal, but Cal hated the fact that the kid was from Kentucky so much so that he didn't even try to find a way to use the kids shooting. I know that most won't agree with me which is your right.

I guess this really depends.

Are we using up all our scholarships? If so, I don't see room for him. If not, yeah sure why not.

But does Allen even want to be at UK. Who knows.

Reactions: LmdCat
What's the ****ing obsession with Cal? He's GONE. It's over. Move on. So from this take, you want to get a bum ass player to "stick it to Cal" because when he left he proved Cal correct in not playing him at Kentucky?
Beat me to it Ralph. Of course I’m glad you said it because I was going to try to be the so called nice guy. lol. As much as I like Allan and being a Kentucky boy, he wasn’t going to be a big time SEC player. Nothing wrong with that of course, but we need and want guys who can flat out compete for a championship and raise our talent level.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan

Go 'Cats ! ! !

What happened with Allen had nothing to do with Cal according to what has been wildly reported. Allen simply didn't work at his craft and take it seriously.

Reactions: Zissou87
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: KAB Cats
You are correct, of course, UK90. Sometimes I let my deep and abiding antipathy for the former guy get the best of me ! Mea culpa. Unfortunately, that's only one of my many failings. Alas. :cool:
Go 'Cats ! ! !
I can't decide between "Don't mind him he's just drunk that's all "or "poor devil he was just too high strung" In reality I don't see anything wrong with taking Allen back if we have a spare spot

I don’t think it would at all be sticking it to Cal, but if Allen wanted to finish out his career at UK and get to celebrate Senior Day in Rupp Arena I wouldn’t be opposed to him taking the last scholarship on the team. I think he’s quality enough to be a solid practice player and eat up some garbage minutes for us. He’s certainly better than some of the 12th and 13th players that Cal would add to the roster each year. As others have mentioned he probably wants to play meaningful minutes in his last year of college basketball so if that’s the case he should explore other options.

Reactions: Wally2000 and UK90
I really wish this kid grew up in Tennessee. If he did, UK would have never recruited him nor would the fanbase be obsessed with him.

Very true. I've always found it fascinating how a segment of our fanbase shows such bias just because of where a player was born. It reminds me of calipari favoring freshmen 5 stars.

I can't decide between "Don't mind him he's just drunk that's all "or "poor devil he was just too high strung" In reality I don't see anything wrong with taking Allen back if we have a spare spot
Hello, Doc ... How the hell are you ? ! ? :cool:

This thread has plainly not gone the way the OP expected. LOL

But here’s a slightly different opinion: if he’s willing to accept that he’s only here to provide bench depth, sure, why not? We only have nine guys, at some point we can no longer be too picky in filling out this roster.

But do you really think that’s what Allen wants? He’s already had WAY more than his fair share of riding the end of the UK bench. I doubt he wants his final year of eligibility to be spent going back to that.

I don’t think it would at all be sticking it to Cal, but if Allen wanted to finish out his career at UK and get to celebrate Senior Day in Rupp Arena I wouldn’t be opposed to him taking the last scholarship on the team. I think he’s quality enough to be a solid practice player and eat up some garbage minutes for us. He’s certainly better than some of the 12th and 13th players that Cal would add to the roster each year. As others have mentioned he probably wants to play meaningful minutes in his last year of college basketball so if that’s the case he should explore other options.
How does anyone predict garbage minutes.?

That 9-16 team roster was so bad. Clarke and Boston were both not ready, terrible PG. Mintz was ok, and Allen was actually one of the more productive players for like 10 games. Jackson was the only legit player. We lost so many games by 5 points that year.
Cal at the beginning of the 9-16 season:

"I like my team."

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox2monk
It's weird that the entire board that wanted Cal gone still won't shut up about Cal even when he's finally gone lol.

As far as Allen, no. Just no. He wasn't good at UK. He wasn't good at WKU. Just........why lol.
LOL.

You think it's weird that our fans won't shut up about Calipari a month after he left the program in ashes when the same fanbase won't shut up about Pitino 27 years after he left the program as the #1 program in the nation?

There is no moving on. This is Kentucky. All of it - past, present and future - matters. It's a surprise you don't seem to understand that.

No, he’s actually shot damn well from three point distance (around 40%) during his two years at WKU.

His problem remains the other things …poor defender, doesn’t dribble or drive well, no lateral quickness, etc. He’s basically just a one dimensional spot up shooter. Worked for him in him high school, but not enough for this level.
All true but he is probably as good as at least one of the players we currently have

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT