ADVERTISEMENT

Step back fear

uk78

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
I am amazed now reading several different threads where fans here are expressing concerns that if Cal leaves (whether by choice or not) it will set the program back, we will lose the recruiting class, or other disasters feared.

If the program is set back for a year to get someone who can build the program back to our historically elite status I am all for it. So, instead some want the same mediocre outcomes to continue because they fear a step back? Well exactly what is a "step-back." No SEC Titles, No SEC Tournament Titles, no NCAA Titles, weird or awful coaching decisions, favoritism of undeserving players, one dimensional offense and defense especially in critical times of a game, expectations that Freshman are going to be experienced, antagonism toward the fans, underachievement with talent, crazy home losses, eroding of our history and elite program status, etc.????

I was a huge fan of Cal but clearly his success was based upon getting the elite of the elite recruits. That ship has sailed as the lure of Kentucky basketball. A change must occur.

For those who love Cal you can continue to celebrate and feel proud of all the former Kentucky players and how well they are doing as pro's.

I don't think we will step back at all. One of the best things working for us in this whole mess, is the transfer portal and NIL.

If this was 5 years ago, we would be in quite a tough spot, likely looking at several rebuilding years.

But now? We likely won't miss a beat when Cal goes. Probably improve actually lol. The shitty part is that it looks like we will have to do this for one more year. Although I think the COVID 5th year thing will be done by end of next season, and it would be nice to use that this year with a new coach.

Imagine if we did land someone like Tommy Lloyd or Scott Drew. They would have about 1,000 transfer players having at least some interest to play for him AND go to a place like UK. I bet all these top coaches we've kicked around, all of them would pit together a very nice collection of talent next year.

Yeah, it’s bizarre. Like “Oh no, there’s a chance we can’t have a losing season, two first round exits to double-digit seeds, and bounced in the second round while having NBA players on the roster?”

The Cal brand has to die here at Kentucky and be rebuilt. A new brand has to be established so the one and done garbage is no longer associated with this place. Get someone who is there to serve the team, play a complimentary role instead of their draft stock. Like there has to be some idea of assembling a roster instead of “Let me get all of the highest ranked athletes who play a similar position “

Last edited:
I am amazed now reading several different threads where fans here are expressing concerns that if Cal leaves (whether by choice or not) it will set the program back, we will lose the recruiting class, or other disasters feared.

If the program is set back for a year to get someone who can build the program back to our historically elite status I am all for it. So, instead some want the same mediocre outcomes to continue because they fear a step back? Well exactly what is a "step-back." No SEC Titles, No SEC Tournament Titles, no NCAA Titles, weird or awful coaching decisions, favoritism of undeserving players, one dimensional offense and defense especially in critical times of a game, expectations that Freshman are going to be experienced, antagonism toward the fans, underachievement with talent, crazy home losses, eroding of our history and elite program status, etc.????

I was a huge fan of Cal but clearly his success was based upon getting the elite of the elite recruits. That ship has sailed as the lure of Kentucky basketball. A change must occur.

For those who love Cal you can continue to celebrate and feel proud of all the former Kentucky players and how well they are doing as pro's.
Bingo, These top recruits over the last 5-6 years aren't the same as the previous top recruits. Boston, Wagner, Tyty, Cason, Livingston, Edwards, Knox, etc,, aren't the same as Wall, Davis, Fox, Monk, Townes, Booker, Noel etc...

Reactions: RunninRichie
I will gladly sacrifice a year if Calipari is no longer on the sidelines. If he coaches next year, we are sacrificing that year already. I don’t care who’s on his team the man has proven in the last five years he cannot coach anymore. He’s lost his game.

I will gladly sacrifice a year if Calipari is no longer on the sidelines. If he coaches next year, we are sacrificing that year already. I don’t care who’s on his team the man has proven in the last five years he cannot coach anymore. He’s lost his game.
It will probably be a few years before we are contenders when Calipari leaves. Certainly not written in stone, but again, this is why the replacement is crtical

It will probably be a few years before we are contenders when Calipari leaves. Certainly not written in stone, but again, this is why the replacement is crtical
One step backwards to make two steps forward, I’m ok with that. The next guy has to be the right guy.

Curious as to why you think it would be a few years in an era where transfer rules barely exist?

Added to the fact that any known coach that is at a top 25 type school will have a solid recruiting class that will follow him. For example current standing (will change as the offseason goes)
—Scott Drew: #6 ranked class currently
—Tommy LLoyd #4
—Nate Oats #7
—Bruce Pearl #26
—Shaka Smart #32
———*not realistic but Dan Hurley is 29…we need tk get away from the “must have #1 class or we suck” mentality and get back to recruiting needs/gaps and roster building

The only way it’s a multi year rebuild is if you get someone that is unknown/completely off the radar. Reality is worst case is the decision is made late and the team has to be thrown together year one last second after the portal has been ransacked….you have a 10-12 loss year which we’ve been having anyways, and then year 2 you’re back.

You just can’t make a boring hire. I don’t trust Mitch but you can’t bring in a Tony Bennett or any plow ball style coach. If you make a hire and the coaches name has some buzz behind it or the style is fun to play/watch then we will be back to top 10 classes and top 15 rankings year 2 at the latest.

With this University’s historical status and current resources, any top 20 coach will win here if they have the personality to handle the job. The way we lose is if you hire a boring brand, a coach that shrinks under the spotlight and becomes a crazy drunk, or we hold on to mediocrity with Cal for another 5-10 years and suddenly everyone 25 and under (the parents of recruits even) don’t know what Kentucky basketball means and now you’re Indiana…..or the university stops investing in basketball in the college arms race.

We will be a contender (1-3 seed) somewhere from year 1-3.

I don't think we will step back at all. One of the best things working for us in this whole mess, is the transfer portal and NIL.

If this was 5 years ago, we would be in quite a tough spot, likely looking at several rebuilding years.

But now? We likely won't miss a beat when Cal goes. Probably improve actually lol. The shitty part is that it looks like we will have to do this for one more year. Although I think the COVID 5th year thing will be done by end of next season, and it would be nice to use that this year with a new coach.

Imagine if we did land someone like Tommy Lloyd or Scott Drew. They would have about 1,000 transfer players having at least some interest to play for him AND go to a place like UK. I bet all these top coaches we've kicked around, all of them would pit together a very nice collection of talent next year.
As of right now Cliff Omoyri(sp) is #1 portal player according to CBS sports.
Been at Rutgers 4 years but now wants to leave with #3 recruiting class coming in.
One reason, money. Not about championships.
I don't think the NIL will be there for this off-season with La Familia off the table.
Not the kind of NIL to get in a bidding war for a player.
If Cal leaves the entire team is probably gone with the exception of of few who are lucky to be here in the first place.
Already unrealistic expectations being placed on the new coach if there is one at all.
UK is not going to be a title contender in 24-25 with a new coach.

I don't even think it's a sacrifice. It's an investment. What has been gained under Cal since 2019? NOT A THING!

We aren't taking any steps backward. It's almost not possible after the 10 or so steps backward we've taken the last many years.

ahL5nI3.png

I want people who are scared about Cal leaving and thinking "Who can we get that's better?" to think about the teams who have made the Final Four in recent history

Miami, San Diego State, FAU, UConn, Baylor, Houston, Gonzaga, Tech, Auburn--- these are teams who have a fraction of the resources of UK and yet their coaches assembled rosters to win in March.

Rupp left
Hall left
Sutton left
Pitino left
Tubby left
bcg left quickly
Cal will leave

In all of these changes Kentucky basketball continued and will continue.

Thought this thread was going to be about Gohlke's 3pt shot.

Curious as to why you think it would be a few years in an era where transfer rules barely exist?

Added to the fact that any known coach that is at a top 25 type school will have a solid recruiting class that will follow him. For example current standing (will change as the offseason goes)
—Scott Drew: #6 ranked class currently
—Tommy LLoyd #4
—Nate Oats #7
—Bruce Pearl #26
—Shaka Smart #32
———*not realistic but Dan Hurley is 29…we need tk get away from the “must have #1 class or we suck” mentality and get back to recruiting needs/gaps and roster building

The only way it’s a multi year rebuild is if you get someone that is unknown/completely off the radar. Reality is worst case is the decision is made late and the team has to be thrown together year one last second after the portal has been ransacked….you have a 10-12 loss year which we’ve been having anyways, and then year 2 you’re back.

You just can’t make a boring hire. I don’t trust Mitch but you can’t bring in a Tony Bennett or any plow ball style coach. If you make a hire and the coaches name has some buzz behind it or the style is fun to play/watch then we will be back to top 10 classes and top 15 rankings year 2 at the latest.

With this University’s historical status and current resources, any top 20 coach will win here if they have the personality to handle the job. The way we lose is if you hire a boring brand, a coach that shrinks under the spotlight and becomes a crazy drunk, or we hold on to mediocrity with Cal for another 5-10 years and suddenly everyone 25 and under (the parents of recruits even) don’t know what Kentucky basketball means and now you’re Indiana…..or the university stops investing in basketball in the college arms race.

We will be a contender (1-3 seed) somewhere from year 1-3.
Because of the schools with a quick turnaround following a coaching change almost all of them return a good amount of players to build from. One of the few exceptions to this is John Calipari in 2010, but odds are good the first year is a loss and the 2nd year also needs more core players.

Not to mention Calipari had Patrick Patterson and role players

Because of the schools with a quick turnaround following a coaching change almost all of them return a good amount of players to build from. One of the few exceptions to this is John Calipari in 2010, but odds are good the first year is a loss and the 2nd year also needs more core players.
He kept quite a bit. He just got rid of like the seven walk-ons that Billy put on the team and Galloway/Stewart.

Stephenson
Harris
Harrison
Miller
Patterson
Liggins

He kept quite a bit. He just got rid of like the seven walk-ons that Billy put on the team and Galloway/Stewart.

Stephenson
Harris
Harrison
Miller
Patterson
Liggins
Yep that is true. Valid point. That’s kind of overlooked really

Well, a step back right now isn't that far "back" than we have been over the last 4 years.

Having a higher seed in the tournament doesn't mean much if you can't do anything with it. So what's the difference if we have a new coach that can only achieve an 8-10 seed in his first year or two and doesn't win the first game(s)? Not much - a loss is a loss, and Cal can't do it regardless of his seed or draw.

But what if the new coach comes in, gets us an 8-10 seed, and actually WINS the first game?? Yep, that's better than Cal 2 out of the last 3 years!

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
There are real risks when Calipari leaves and that’s why who Calipari is replaced with is a crucial question. You can’t take action A with out the right person in Action B
That’s what I’ve said before. People are so blinded that they are missing this point.

Reactions: KAB Cats
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT