ADVERTISEMENT

Seriously Who would be your first choice for a coach?

TNCatfanforever

All-American
Apr 3, 2003
Mount Juliet Tn
Most of the great ones are old but would Rick Pitino come in for 3/4 years? Could Shaka handle the UK job? Beard has a past would he be considered? Would Mark Pope be able to get the talent here?

Most of the great ones are old but would Rick Pitino come in for 3/4 years? Could Shaka handle the UK job? Beard has a past would he be considered? Would Mark Pope be able to get the talent here?

Pope is good, but recruting.....

Hell no on Beard. Domestic abuser.

Shaka? I dunno....

Pitino is too old, don't know if he could handle the pressure at this point.

Give me a crack at Lloyd or Drew.

My top choice is Drew. Lloyd or Shaka after, if you get one and he doesn’t do well try the other.

Used to like Oates, no longer believe he has the integrity for this job.

UK should never consider Pitino after everything he did at U of L (seriously, the dude fled the country). And I don’t think they will.

Beard has too much baggage.

I think we all want 09-14 Cal to return as our real top choice. But we have yet to truly see that Cal return for a full season. But he does pop up from time to time and he makes sure we know it!

• Love
Reactions: KFuqua and chroix

You and Rick are both washed up. He isn't missed and I can guarantee you won't be.

Yeah, BCG and the end of Tubby give me doubt on that.
Tubby only ever recruited one class well. The one with Rondo, Morris, and Crawford was, by the rankings, an amazing class. I mean that was a Cal level class in terms of pre season hype.

I like Pope. He’s a Kentucky guy and he coaches very well. But I have the same recruiting fears that you do. I saw two coaches, back to back, utterly waste or neglect those recourses (Tubby and BCG) and I don’t think just because they’re available that they get utilized. But a guy like Pope, who has history with this school may be motivated to use them.

I would certainly be willing to give him at least 4 years to see what he could accomplish, barring a BCG level start of course.

Yeah, BCG and the end of Tubby give me doubt on that.
BCG was a drunk and Tubby got lazy AND didn't want the hassle of trying to coach 5 star Prima Donnas. So he settled for lesser talent.
Any good young coach with drive and recruiting chops could exel at UK.
Danny Hurley…..but the NJ native East coast lifer isn’t leaving the East coast.
That's what everyone said about Pitino......

When Kentucky calls, everyone listens.

Danny Hurley and there is not even a close second.
There’s no reason for Hurley to come here. He’s a northeast guy as it is. He’s at a borderline blue blood as it is and has that program rolling.

People here still vastly overestimate the appeal of the UK job in the current landscape. Drew win a title at Baylor. UConn is an incredibly successful program in their own right. You don’t have to be at a blue blood to be successful.

When you’ve won titles elsewhere (like Drew) or you’re already at the most successful program of the last 25 years (Hurley)there’s literally no reason to come the UK. The expectations would be more trouble than the job is worth.

One man doesn't have to do it all. The head man needs to be ABLE TO COACH. Winning at Kentucky will attract all the attention you need. Hire assistants who can recruit and develop players. The Kentucky program is the greatest platform in college basketball and plugging in an authentic COACH is the first and the most important step. A COACH is what we NEED and a coach is what we DON'T HAVE right now. JMO.

Last edited:
There’s no reason for Hurley to come here. He’s a northeast guy as it is. He’s at a borderline blue blood as it is and has that program rolling.

People here still vastly overestimate the appeal of the UK job in the current landscape. Drew win a title at Baylor. UConn is an incredibly successful program in their own right. You don’t have to be at a blue blood to be successful.

When you’ve won titles elsewhere (like Drew) or you’re already at the most successful program of the last 25 years (Hurley)there’s literally no reason to come the UK. The expectations would be more trouble than the job is worth.
Any coach worth his salt wants the challenge of coaching the top program in the country.

We still fall into that category.......for now.

The idea that a top level coach would turn down $10M a year to coach at the all time winningest program in the nation is just ridiculous.

Hurley would be my first call, if I were AD, and I would make him an offer that only a fool would refuse.

I don't think DH is a fool.

We have the best coach in the country and he’s not going anywhere. So it’s a moot point.

Cal is far better than Pitino. But it wouldn’t bother me if he came back.

No way on Beard. Not only is he a scumbag, he hasn’t won anything.

Pope would be interesting. But he hasn’t won anything either.

Hurley wouldn’t last one season here.

If Cal left I would show a blank check to Frank Vogel.

But anyone that comes here I would support until they showed they don’t deserve support.

I supported the hell out of Tubby, the worst coach ever at UK, until he showed he didn’t deserve support. About 2 seasons.

Even then I still wanted him to win.

That’s where I have a problem with the CHC. They want UK to lose.

I have a couple friends that are not high on Cal. We argue it all the time. But they live and die with UK basketball. They want UK to win. Regardless of the coach.

You see it here. We have supposed UK fans that love losses so they they can bust on Cal. It’s sickening.

We have the best coach in the country and he’s not going anywhere. So it’s a moot point.

Cal is far better than Pitino. But it wouldn’t bother me if he came back.

No way on Beard. Not only is he a scumbag, he hasn’t won anything.

Pope would be interesting. But he hasn’t won anything either.

Hurley wouldn’t last one season here.

If Cal left I would show a blank check to Frank Vogel.

But anyone that comes here I would support until they showed they don’t deserve support.

I supported the hell out of Tubby, the worst coach ever at UK, until he showed he didn’t deserve support. About 2 seasons.

Even then I still wanted him to win.

That’s where I have a problem with the CHC. They want UK to lose.

I have a couple friends that are not high on Cal. We argue it all the time. But they live and die with UK basketball. They want UK to win. Regardless of the coach.

You see it here. We have supposed UK fans that love losses so they they can bust on Cal. It’s sickening.
I have NEVER known a real UK fan that "love" losses regardless of their feelings toward the coach.

If they love to see UK lose, then they are not a UK fan. Period.

• Love
Reactions: kywildcat41086
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT