ADVERTISEMENT

Serious question...a nice debate on OC

Agree.

Come Jan Coen may not have an NFL OC job. There have been persistent rumors that this is McVay's last year. If he leaves for a broadcasting job, it's very likley the new Rams' head coach will want his our OC choice.

Why can't UK just announce Coen has been hired effective after the Rams NFL season is over?
Probably because UK/Coen don't have a contract agreement at this time.

KSR seems to think ( story up ) Gino is getting the job now.
That article says Coen still first choice but they know Gino was interviewed and on the list. Probably staff floating out options for fans to get their heads around if Coen doesn’t work out

Reactions: catben
That article says Coen still first choice but they know Gino was interviewed and on the list. Probably staff floating out options for fans to get their heads around if Coen doesn’t work out

If so, going to take a ton of selling to get the fanbase satisfied with falling from coen to guidugli.

A. Ton.

Yep, you wait no question about it.

Just wondering however, can Coen watch the Music City on TV and communicate to the staff via phone? Suspect the NCAA would not allow that.
Yeah he could text the plays in. I can see it now, calls for a flea flicker and auto correct changes it to free kicker and we punt on first down :)

Related: press reporting a Rams offensive assistant going to Arizona St. So they should be used to handling this.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Related: press reporting a Rams offensive assistant going to Arizona St. So they should be used to handling this.

This makes me believe that Coen is NOT coming to UK. Why would the Rams allow this to become public and still hold up Coen????

There is something keeping Coen from committing to UK. Have the Rams assured him he may get the Head Coaching position when McVay decides to quit? It’s going to be a total rebuild, so Coen is familiar with what the Rams want going forward.

It just blows my mind that Coen wouldn’t want to return to UK after all of the CRAP that has been blamed on him for the Rams declining offense when he doesn’t even call the plays.

The other guy is a position coach, Coen is offensive coordinator
Who doesn’t even call the plays. McVay is the OC.

Coen not already being named tells me that it’s far from a done deal and he may have other options.

This makes me believe that Coen is NOT coming to UK. Why would the Rams allow this to become public and still hold up Coen????

There is something keeping Coen from committing to UK. Have the Rams assured him he may get the Head Coaching position when McVay decides to quit? It’s going to be a total rebuild, so Coen is familiar with what the Rams want going forward.

It just blows my mind that Coen wouldn’t want to return to UK after all of the CRAP that has been blamed on him for the Rams declining offense when he doesn’t even call the plays.
Certainly makes one wonder and feel less confident about Coen. There's another asst returning to college, named Peetz, and I think he's going to Nebraska. Difference here could be Peetz/Samples are position coaches, Coen is OC.

Reactions: catben
I am not a HC, but I would definitely wait if both sides DEFINITELY are wanting to reunite with UK. This match was great and Liam is a very good OC for our college team and proved it. Now, he did have a damn good QB here in Levis, but he had a big influence on his development IMO.

The question I have is: Has/was Coen actually offered the job? Lots of media speculation but KY sports media is very poor at developing sources but very good at rushing to be first even if they have to make up stories. Jones Tweet over the weekend was clearly wrong, at least to this point. The other thing that concerns me is there's been nothing coming out of LA that I've seen about a Coen to UK possibility and I think if it were true they'd be reporting it.

So......has Coen been offered? Have Stoops/Coen or their reps met? If Coen was offered has he turned the job down or accepted in kind? Is Coen still mulling over the offer? I dare say none of us on this site knows the answers to those questions and I seriously doubt KY sports media does either.

So if Coen not coming - be disappointed all you want, but that doesn't change Coen's choice - who is #1 over Gino?

Don't know if you recall, but he was committed to UK till the Bassett/Mumme money scandal erupted & then backed out.

Reactions: mrschwump
So if Coen not coming - be disappointed all you want, but that doesn't change Coen's choice - who is #1 over Gino?

Don't know if you recall, but he was committed to UK till the Bassett/Mumme money scandal erupted & then backed out.
I recall that, didn't he also have a brother?

I recall that, didn't he also have a brother?
Don't know, but I graduated HS with his Dad, also a UK grad. He broke his hand in the World's Toughest Bouncer Contest back in the day. He is a nice guy till you get him mad & then no one could take him out. Now that we're so old, maybe, but I still wouldn't count him out.

Reactions: mrschwump
ADVERTISEMENT