ADVERTISEMENT

Serious question...a nice debate on OC

Nov 27, 2018
Let's say what Matt Jones says is true. UK wants Coen, and Coen wants UK. But the hold up is the LA Rams. Maybe they won't let him leave until after the season. Stoops wants this to happen now.

Would you advise Stoops to wait the 30-45 days, let the Rams season end and get your guy?

Or do you want to settle for plan 1B and take your second choice so that they can get out on the recruiting trail?

Personally, without knowing who 1B is, I would advise Stoops to wait for his guy. Announce to recruits what the deal is. Get coen on zoom calls to tell the recruits and TRANSFERS and their families that he's coming back and this is how he will use said recruit or transfer athlete. I don't want to miss out on Coen because of 2 weeks of recruiting. Would it really hurt us that bad by missing two weeks of recruiting?

Debate away BBN!

Personally, without knowing who 1B is, I would advise Stoops to wait for his guy. Announce to recruits what the deal is. Get coen on zoom calls to tell the recruits and TRANSFERS and their families that he's coming back and this is how he will use said recruit or transfer athlete. I don't want to miss out on Coen because of 2 weeks of recruiting. Would it really hurt us that bad by missing two weeks of recruiting?

This is exactly what i would advise him to do.

Yeah, Coen can in the evenings stream recruits and zoom offensive meetings till Rams season is done.

I know what I saw, that guy is the real deal. He is worth waiting until mid January to be in Lexington working full time for.

Yeah I don’t know what a hold up would be. Having him on board is enough. He can wait til after the season and I’m not sure what the ‘wouldn’t go over part’ would be. Multiple guys in a pro locker room won’t be there next year they will take more money or a spot on what they believe will be a more promising team. Why would anybody think a coach can’t handle staying involved while having another when it’s done.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
I would want him Stoops to wait for Coen. However I doubt he has to wait that long. The Rams play on Thursday which I imagine plays into it significantly.

Reactions: rye48
Take the next plane to Kentucky and tell the Rams to ram it, lol Just kidding, I want him here but if he can't get out of his coaching duties till after then wait and tell recruits what is going on..

GBB

Reactions: Soupbean
Gotta go get your 1st choice! If Coen is that choice you wait on him. Coen is young has a growing family and may in time make a heck of a OC and maybe just maybe a HC at KY.

Yep, you wait no question about it.

Just wondering however, can Coen watch the Music City on TV and communicate to the staff via phone? Suspect the NCAA would not allow that.

Here's an alternative view, what if Coen is NOT Stoops first choice?

What if Stoops wants someone with an even HIGHER profile than Coen and has a shot at getting him but wants to interview him before making a final decision?

With the Rams out of playoff contention, dealing with a ton of injuries, Mcvay rumors everywhere that he's done with coaching and staring down possibly the 2nd or 3rd worst record in the NFL, WHY would the Rams hold Coen up from coming here when he doesn't even call the plays?

I feel like it's more than what everyone thinks.

What if Stoops wants someone with an even HIGHER profile than Coen and has a shot at getting him but wants to interview him before making a final decision?

With the Rams out of playoff contention, dealing with a ton of injuries, Mcvay rumors everywhere that he's done with coaching and staring down possibly the 2nd or 3rd worst record in the NFL, WHY would the Rams hold Coen up from coming here when he doesn't even call the plays?

Wow, an interesting alternative. First, I consider it highly highly unlikely but it true would be one of the surprises of the year.

Just to clarify, the Rams are not officially out of the play-offs. After the game on Thursday they most likley will be. I can see McVay wanting to wait until then.

I hope Coen comes back because I think he did a good job last year, but does it bother anyone that the Rams went from winning the Super Bowl to sucking under his watch?

Let's say what Matt Jones says is true. UK wants Coen, and Coen wants UK. But the hold up is the LA Rams. Maybe they won't let him leave until after the season. Stoops wants this to happen now.

Would you advise Stoops to wait the 30-45 days, let the Rams season end and get your guy?

Or do you want to settle for plan 1B and take your second choice so that they can get out on the recruiting trail?

Debate away BBN!
I prefer the latter

I hope Coen comes back because I think he did a good job last year, but does it bother anyone that the Rams went from winning the Super Bowl to sucking under his watch?

Plagued by injuries, starting RB basically quit on the team and (as usual) post SB slump. Coen will get a good bit of the blame but Stafford was hurt all year and, truly, McVay calls the plays.

Not really because
A - He is OC in name only HC calls the plays
B- He called the plays at KY last season and did a great job unlike years before him and this season without him.
C- He knows the KY program and Stoops and is willing if rumors are true to come back on board even with a stubborn HC who wants to play ball control and eat up clock.

While possible I consider it highly unlikely. Who's higher profile? Bienemy?

I just don't see it. But I didn't see coen as a real possibility either

Didn't Stoops say he has an interview set up "later this week" with a candidate? And don't the Rams play Thursday and a loss eliminates them from the playoffs? Interesting timing don't you think?

If Coen's your guy you wait as long as it takes and communicate to recruits/portal guys that the OC coming in can get you to the next level.

If Coen wants to come back then you wait. Especially since it will be announced when a deal is done regardless

Nope. You interview until you have a signed deal and a coach on the sideline. No question. It isn't just about the next coach. It's also about your brand and your future.

Remember what happened with the RB coach we "had" and then "lost" to the NFL? Put us in a really bad spot not having interviewed more people and building more relationships.

My thing is….is Coen going to leave again?

If this miracle happens. Liam would have had two amazing jobs, and left both of them after 1 year. What exactly is he thinking? Can you trust him?

If there’s another Liam type in college system right now, I say go get him. Someone with charisma, obvious knack for play calling, can bring in a good QB with him, etc. We didn’t exactly have great success with pro offense, even with Liam. He had a knack for calling plays, though. He did adjust away from his pro scheme to fit us. Something Scang couldn’t/wouldn’t do.

Plus, Stoops’ comments about tempo and throwing the ball, etc….sounds like he wants a modern college scheme like everyone else is running.

Reactions: catben and KyCatFan
If Coen is the guy, then they will agree to a contract and announce it after the NFL season is over. They don't need to do an interview.

Personally, I have a hard time believing that Coen would leave an NFL OC job to return to the college ranks for a similar position. Especially given how many coaches have gone on to Head Coach positions after being on the Rams staff. Most of the Rams struggles this season can be explained with injuries. They are coming off a Super Bowl win and there won't need to be any staff shakeups.

If Kentucky is going to announce something soon, then it will be with a coach is currently available. That means no one in the NFL and no one who is working for a team in the Playoffs. If the decision is delayed, then you can expect the coach is coming from one of those two groups.

Here's another thing, I believe. Until he's officially hired/on the payroll, an incoming coach from outside the NCAA umbrella would have no recruiting type restrictions. He could contact any prospective player at any time and as much as he likes/needs to.

Debate away BBN!
If Coen is the guy, let him wait. He doesn't need to be here for the bowl prep. If players know he's on board, he can make phone calls and assurances to recruits, he can target and recruit his next QB with the help of UK's staff. There's a lot he can multi-task and do until the end of the NFL season.

Prefer Stoops go the college route. Don’t wait for someone to call you about the job. Call them and if they are interested make them a nice offer. And I am talking about Briles Riley etc. There are lots of good young minds out there who would love this job. Lots of pro guys seem to have one eye looking to go back to NFL. Stay with college guys.

Reactions: KyCatFan
Not really because
A - He is OC in name only HC calls the plays
B- He called the plays at KY last season and did a great job unlike years before him and this season without him.
C- He knows the KY program and Stoops and is willing if rumors are true to come back on board even with a stubborn HC who wants to play ball control and eat up clock.
B=Wandale Robinson

1. You wait for Coen.
2. You wait for Coen
3. You wait for Coen

Look..we just had a really good QB1, top tier RB in school history, 3 damn good WR and according to many...some NFL future TE (which I call BS on much of that) and we put out maybe the worst offense year since Stoops 2nd year at UK. So obviously coaching matters a ton more than picking up some portal kids for the long haul. And as far as HS recruiting goes...we're sucking tit no matter what at this point for 2022.

Besides, there is nothing preventing Coen from zoom calling some kids we need at QB to get that person in place. Stoops, Marrow, etc... can get the RB figured out and sounds like the Oline portal kids are going to work themselves out.

Reactions: FltDoc
if Its Gino Guidugli, then no I do not want him. There is only 1 OC that will win the fans over after this years debacle and that's Liam Coen--PERIOD!! I would wait out til their season is over, you could still tell recruits and transfer players that he is coming and if you need proof then call him and have them talk to him

I would name a intern head coach - tell recruits and the media our intern head coach will proceed with daily recruiting and other duties until we can officially name our OC which will be after their current season is officially over.
Insure the recruits, parents and portal kids who the OC will be.

if Its Gino Guidugli, then no I do not want him. There is only 1 OC that will win the fans over after this years debacle and that's Liam Coen--PERIOD!! I would wait out til their season is over, you could still tell recruits and transfer players that he is coming and if you need proof then call him and have them talk to him
I disagree. Some of us don't want a pro coach that will likely already have 1 foot out the door when he gets here. I'd rather get a guy that is a college coach. If Coen comes back you can bet he will be gone back to the NFL as soon as we have a good offensive year.

Stoops made a point when hiring Scan in Feb he required a 2 year commitment. Luckily for us that was one sided, haha!

So Stoops isn't stupid boys, he only wants Coen back because he knows it won't be just a 1 year thing this time. Who knows, maybe Coen called him a few weeks back and said "wow I made a mistake, I liked what I was doing at UK, actually getting to design schemes and call the plays and teaching college kids."

Reactions: Short-Dawg-69

Would be a massive fail.

Still sounds like coen. I just don't understand the reported hesitancy. Is it all just posturing? Are we really going down the list?

Would be a massive fail.

Still sounds like coen. I just don't understand the reported hesitancy. Is it all just posturing? Are we really going down the list?
I'd take Gino as RB coach. He's a young guy, been a QB coach, been an OC...RB coach would be a way to further his resume. Don't know what kind of recruiter he'd be, hopefully a good one.

As OC......Coen or bust.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: bigblueinsanity
KSR seems to think ( story up ) Gino is getting the job now.

• Wow
Reactions: catben
If Coen is the guy, then they will agree to a contract and announce it after the NFL season is over. They don't need to do an interview.
Agree.

Personally, I have a hard time believing that Coen would leave an NFL OC job to return to the college ranks for a similar position. Especially given how many coaches have gone on to Head Coach positions after being on the Rams staff. Most of the Rams struggles this season can be explained with injuries. They are coming off a Super Bowl win and there won't need to be any staff shakeups.
Come Jan Coen may not have an NFL OC job. There have been persistent rumors that this is McVay's last year. If he leaves for a broadcasting job, it's very likley the new Rams' head coach will want his our OC choice.
If Kentucky is going to announce something soon, then it will be with a coach is currently available. That means no one in the NFL and no one who is working for a team in the Playoffs. If the decision is delayed, then you can expect the coach is coming from one of those two groups.
Why can't UK just announce Coen has been hired effective after the Rams NFL season is over?

ADVERTISEMENT