ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Tournament Bracket Projection

CatPhight

All-American
Nov 15, 2008
Beaver Lick
IMO, the 5 seed could be a very favorable draw, an easy first game, followed by a Bama team that's clearly spiraling downward. That would lead to a third match up with Floppy Top...could Cal lose three games to Barnes in a single year? If the answer is no, we'd be playing Auburn, USC Jr or Florida on Sunday.

uWMUOFA.png

Of the other teams in contention for the double bye, Bama is the one I want to play the most. We match up very well with them, and I see us winning a rematch fairly easily.

Also, if we lose to UT on Sat and get a 5 seed, I would love to see them in the SECT. They already won the regular season. They cannot be allowed to win the SECT, and I think we would have the best shot of knocking them off on a neutral (but skewed towards UK) court.

If you think Ark is a easy game for anyone now you’re not paying attention
The Hawgs have won 2 road games all season, A&M and Mizzou...I fully expect to advance out of the 5 seed, although I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Vandy show up.

I would much rather be the 6 in that scenario.
If we lose to Tennessee and then Auburn, bama and Florida win Saturday…we would be the 6?

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
The Hawgs have won 2 road games all season, A&M and Mizzou...I fully expect to advance out of the 5 seed, although I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Vandy show up.

Arkansas has two of their more experienced players back on the team. I'd argue this isn't the same Arkansas team we saw earlier in the year.

On Bartoviks site they are 112th on the year. But since Feb 11th? 88th. Since Feb 18th? 72nd. So they are trending in the right direction.

I would much rather be the 6 in that scenario.
If we lose to Tennessee and then Auburn, bama and Florida win Saturday…we would be the 6?

I do not want to face Arkansas again, and I do not want to have to beat a team for a 3rd time in a season. I think at this point I'd rather be a 6 seed.
There is no scenario where we are the 6 seed. We will be 2nd-5th no matter what happens on Sat.

I will be positive and say we win at Tennessee and will be the 2 or 3 seed. Would rather be the 4 seed for rest but will take any double bye. GO BIG BLUE!!

No way to the 6-seed. Ain’t staying up for 10:30 tips against SEC teams. Duke/UNC/Kansas/NCAA tournament is a different story.

You mean 112 hours ago? They've got to get past Vandy first...

I just mean in general. I'm not saying they are playing like a top25 team. But as stated in another thread, they had a heck of a lot of team turmoil at one point, that seems to have been squashed, and they have Davis and Brazile back, both left the team for several games.

There's also the aspect that beating a team for the 3rd time is NEVER easy.

I just mean in general. I'm not saying they are playing like a top25 team. But as stated in another thread, they had a heck of a lot of team turmoil at one point, that seems to have been squashed, and they have Davis and Brazile back, both left the team for several games.

There's also the aspect that beating a team for the 3rd time is NEVER easy.
That would apply to Vandy as well, who kicked us in the balls twice last year in March.

Sidebar question. And I'm not saying I'd want to toy with this.. but would a 5-seed help our seeding, as it's adding another game? It would be a Q3 win against Arkansas or Vandy. More just curious.

Sidebar question. And I'm not saying I'd want to toy with this.. but would a 5-seed help our seeding, as it's adding another game? It would be a Q3 win against Arkansas or Vandy. More just curious.
Hawgs would be a Q3, Vandy would be a Q4...a loss to Vandy would be another Hindeburg moment.

Hawgs would be a Q3, Vandy would be a Q4...a loss to Vandy would be another Hindeburg moment.

I mean, yes, if we lose that game, then it's awful.

But I'm wondering if a win would be any sort of a resume booster, especially when in the Bracket Matrix, some teams are separated by a literal 0.01 point.

Arkansas has two of their more experienced players back on the team. I'd argue this isn't the same Arkansas team we saw earlier in the year.

On Bartoviks site they are 112th on the year. But since Feb 11th? 88th. Since Feb 18th? 72nd. So they are trending in the right direction.
You realize we played them last week, right?

You realize we played them last week, right?

And? They dropped 102 on us and this supposed awful team of their, we couldn't even beat by double digits, at home.

The Giants got beat by the Vikings and the Patriots at the end of the regular season, a few weeks later the Giants beat them. Did the Giants all the sudden get better than the undefeated Patriots? Or were they able to learn from that game and make adjustments and close the edge that the Patriots had over them.

Idk, I think overlooking an experienced Arkansas team with a quality coach in Muss, is playing with fire.

And? They dropped 102 on us and this supposed awful team of their, we couldn't even beat by double digits, at home.

The Giants got beat by the Vikings and the Patriots at the end of the regular season, a few weeks later the Giants beat them. Did the Giants all the sudden get better than the undefeated Patriots? Or were they able to learn from that game and make adjustments and close the edge that the Patriots had over them.

Idk, I think overlooking an experienced Arkansas team with a quality coach in Muss, is playing with fire.
You talked in the one post about not being the same team we played “earlier in the year”. We know that, we just played them again recently is my point.
As for the NFL reference, adjustments go both ways. You talk as if only one team makes adjustments after a game, they both do.
Of course I think Arky is much better but we play better on a neutral court than at home anyway.

You talked in the one post about not being the same team we played “earlier in the year”. We know that, we just played them again recently is my point.
As for the NFL reference, adjustments go both ways. You talk as if only one team makes adjustments after a game, they both do.
Of course I think Arky is much better but we play better on a neutral court than at home anyway.

But the constant adjustments really just make the teams that much closer. When players know each other well, and coaches know their opponent better, they know how to defend them, and the games turn into battles of attrition. There's also the revenge factor. Arkansas is gonna be pissed when they play us a 3rd time. Or they should be, at least.

I'm not saying we lose or think we will lose.. it's just not something I care to test out.

Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
use to be you could see a clear path, but the sec is just better now. i don’t see an easy paths after the second round.

Reactions: docholiday51
Ricky Blanton agrees. Or was that four times we would have had to beat LSU? I think it was three.
You didn't get the full name: Ricky Fukkin Blanton around my house. That was my most painful loss until the Unforgettables in 92 (worse than '84 even); it's been bumped a little further down the list now, but remains in the top 5.

Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
I mean, yes, if we lose that game, then it's awful.

But I'm wondering if a win would be any sort of a resume booster, especially when in the Bracket Matrix, some teams are separated by a literal 0.01 point.
Nah...a win over the 12th or 13th best team in the conference is not going to move the needle in metrics or to the naked eye.

Reactions: docholiday51
Not really since Q3 wins are not really helpful but they sure are hurtful if you lose.

If Auburn wins today then only 1 other game matters for SEC seeding for Kentucky.

A win over Tennessee we vault all the way to the #2 seed.

A loss and we fall all the way to #5 seed.

If Auburn somehow lost at home to Georgia which I highly doubt will happen Kentucky would be a #4 seed assuming a Florida win.

Reactions: VAWildcat15
If Auburn wins today then only 1 other game matters for SEC seeding for Kentucky.

A win over Tennessee we vault all the way to the #2 seed.

A loss and we fall all the way to #5 seed.

If Auburn somehow lost at home to Georgia which I highly doubt will happen Kentucky would be a #4 seed assuming a Florida win.

2 seed avoids the late game and avoids UT to title game. So close but oh so far away.

Really annoyed about Arkansas screwing that one up to end the game wish Mitchell could made that dunk or they called a foul that probably been game. I still can't believe Arkansas couldn't stop them from getting up 3 point shots at the end just let them score a 2 you were shooting 90% from the line then you hit FTs and they never catch up they were up 6 and allowed two 3 point shots to go up and they both went in.

Then the stupid ending shot 25 foot step back in a tie game so freaking dumb.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Not only are we #5 seed facing likely Arkansas on Thursday should we win that game #4 seed will be South Carolina the team that destroyed us by 17 earlier this year.

Without a win at Tennessee today the SEC bracket could not have set up worse.

• Sad
Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT