ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Padgett thinks reed returns

Wildcats1st

All-American
Sep 16, 2017
It’s in the Atlantic I don’t have a link. Anyone?

Pretty much what I keep reiterating legendary status over quick money.

I’m not saying he’ll stay four years, but I would still be shocked if his career lasted one,” said Padgett. “If there are weaknesses they think he can work on and improve in a year, I could see him staying another year. They’re going to look at this differently than most, for one because the NIL is probably crazy, but also because education is huge to them and he’d be another year closer to a degree, where he could then come back and finish it in the summers. And, to be honest with you, there’s an unknown factor.

“They are such a close, close, close family, and Reed has lived his whole life in London and Lexington, so I don’t know that there’s a real rush to get out of there unless you’re 100 percent ready. Plus, if he comes back, he’s a rock star. He’s Michael Jordan and Muhammad Ali. In that state, he would be that.”

Last edited:
Would be awesome. I think it depends on if he’s projected lottery at the end of the season. If he’s guaranteed top 14 I don’t think he passes up on it, if there’s a chance he slips or is projected late teens to the 20’s I could see a world where he takes the 2-3 million in NIL and comes back and is beloved.

Ask yourself if you would turn down being a top 7 pick and have a guaranteed contract just to come back to college? Risk an injury and potentially hurt your draft stock…I would not blame him one bit if he left
The money isn't everything to everyone. I've been telling anyone who will listen for weeks now that there's a better chance Reed comes back than he doesn't. You are only a kid once and you only have one college experience. Go to the NBA and childhood is forever gone, you can't get that back. He can make over a million and still enjoy college, mature more and steal an extra year of being a kid.

I think there's a bit of a legacy factor at play here. 4 months ago he was figuring to be a multi-year player. He's a Kentucky guy, he's gonna make a ton in NIL, his game will always fit the NBA, whether it's this year or 5 years from now.

This isn't going to be like other star freshman. There's a lot of ACTUAL legit reasons for him to come back. I also don't think Cal will run him off.

Last edited:
Not being shocked and expecting it to happen are very different. I’m not expecting him to return, but it wouldn’t shock me either.

Ask yourself if you would turn down being a top 7 pick and have a guaranteed contract just to come back to college? Risk an injury and potentially hurt your draft stock…I would not blame him one bit if he left
He's not guaranteed to be top 7. Still a lot of basketball and time until the draft a lot will change.

Reactions: CatPatrick13
The money isn't everything to everyone. I've been telling anyone who will listen for weeks now that there's a better chance Reed comes back than he doesn't. You are only a kid once and you only have one college experience. Go to the NBA and childhood is forever gone, you can't get that back. He can make over a million and still enjoy college, mature more and steal an extra year of being a kid.
But why risk hurting your draft stock next season and risking injury just to come back to college? It makes zero sense

• Sad
Reactions: KFuqua and Zissou87
Asking ourselves what we would do is hypothetical nonsense and not at all indicitive of what Reed will do. Reeds situation is not like ours. I would also like for you to give at least 5 examples of situations where a guy came back and got hurt in turn ruining his career. I honestly don't think Reed is hyper set on going to the nba after this season. His closeness to his family and the hype he would have next year will be a huge factor in his decision.

I’d love to see him return. Cal probably dreads the thought of the pressure Reed puts on him.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
But why risk hurting your draft stock next season and risking injury just to come back to college? It makes zero sense
Can't make decisions based out of fear of what ifs. He would make several million in college for a season and get all type of notoriety. That sounds more like an amazing oppurtunity. Career ending injuries are not common occurences

Of course you have to be the first guy to crap all over the floor and ruin the vibe in this thread.

You're a terrible poster.

You aren’t Reed, so what you would do has no relevance here. And for the record, no, I wouldn’t leave if I were Reed, and if I were Jeff I wouldn’t want him to. He’s not going to end up with an injury so bad his career is gone. This is the most laughable nonsense the money grab crowd comes up with. You couldn’t probably name one person that’s even happened to.

Anyone that knows anything about the Sheppards understand they love Kentucky and they raise their kids better than “ get the money”. Jeff loves UK probably more than any player who’s ever played here. Have you read his book? That family loves this, and they even told UK to limit crowd control because “these are our people”.

Reed is set to make historical NIL money and he actually could work on a few things before going, and I bet you Jeff thinks just this way.

Some of you have to accept the fact that Calipari’s”money grab as fast as you can” does not apply to everyone and certainly doesn’t apply to the Sheppards. Reed might be the most popular guy in the entire state, it holds a ton of weight.

I’m much more concerned that Calipari doesn’t want him back than I am he leaves after 1 year. This isn’t touched on enough, but I wouldn’t doubt he’d love to send Reed pro after 1 year so he doesn’t have to deal with it, and to “show the bennies” that Reed is no different than any other player.

love the kid, but he is gone.

he would never come close to NBA money with NIL. not even close.

Nonsense. There isn’t a chance in hell anyone could be that definitive knowing how they operate. To say it’s 50/50 (better chance he returns) I think is off, to say it’s 0% is just absurd and really looks like you don’t know about them. Just basing it off of Jeff’s comments, Reed’s popularity, the NIL, and the families devotion to academics it’s absurd to say he’s gone definitively.

Last edited:
For those that don't, enlighten us.

Read the rest of the post. Read Jeff’s book, learn about them. This family is hard up on academics, they absolutely love UK, Jeff isn’t a fan of the OAD, they don’t even want crowd control. They LOVE this. His dad also won two titles lol. They want to win, here.

Then listen to the guys that actually know them talk about it, one is on this board. Then look at the insane NIL opportunities.

You don’t even have to know them to know by all accounts there’s not just a chance he comes back, but a damn good one. The only people who can’t see it are people that are obsessed with money it seems.

You aren’t Reed, so what you would do has no relevance here. And for the record, no, I wouldn’t leave if I were Reed, and if I were Jeff I wouldn’t want him to. He’s not going to end up with an injury so bad his career is gone. This is the most laughable nonsense the money grab crowd comes up with. You couldn’t probably name one person that’s even happened to.

Anyone that knows anything about the Sheppards understand they love Kentucky and they raise their kids better than “ get the money”. Jeff loves UK probably more than any player who’s ever played here. Have you read his book? That family loves this, and they even told UK to limit crowd control because “these are our people”.

Reed is set to make historical NIL money and he actually could work on a few things before going, and I bet you Jeff thinks just this way.

Some of you have to accept the fact that Calipari’s”money grab as fast as you can” does not apply to everyone and certainly doesn’t apply to the Sheppards. Reed might be the most popular guy in the entire state, it holds a ton of weight.

I’m much more concerned that Calipari doesn’t want him back than I am he leaves after 1 year. This isn’t touched on enough, but I wouldn’t doubt he’d love to send Reed pro after 1 year so he doesn’t have to deal with it, and to “show the bennies” that Reed is no different than any other player.
This is an all time great post!! Eveything you said is spot.

love the kid, but he is gone.

he would never come close to NBA money with NIL. not even close.
So the NBA money disappears if he comes back?

I get the idea of being "one year closer to that second contract," but I also get the idea of being physically and emotionally ready to handle the NBA grind. Maybe Sheppard simply wants to come back to be a hero again.

Did you read my original reply. You quoted it and responded so I assume you did. You keep bringing up injury and draft stock. All that effects is the money. Like I said already and I'll repeat, the money isn't everything to everybody. You come back to college because it's fun, because you enjoy the experience, because you don't want to give up your childhood. He will make plenty of money from NIL to get anything he wants to get and without the regimen of the NBA. Without the agent to answer to, the grind of an 82 game season, without the franchise who owns you and most importantly without being thrown into adulthood and a life on the road at age 19. It's not that hard to understand when you realize there is more to life than money.

Did you read my original reply. You quoted it and responded so I assume you did. You keep bringing bringing up injury and draft stock. All that effects is the money. Like I said already and I'll repeat, the money isn't everything to everybody. You come back to college because it's fun, because you enjoy the experience, because you don't want to give up your childhood. He will make plenty of money from NIL to get anything he wants to get and without the regimen of the NBA. Without the agent to answer to, the grind of an 82 game season, without the franchise who owns you and most importantly without being thrown into adulthood and a life on the road at age 19. It's not that hard to understand when you realize there is more to life than money.
Sheppard can have it all if he returns. NPOY. A real shot at a Final Four. Top 5 pick. Hometown hero. Solidified as a commonwealth legend for the rest of his life. Plus, it's not like his skill set is going to diminish. He can have all of the aforementioned, plus probably over $100 million in career earnings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT