ADVERTISEMENT

Saw Tubby at Malones Friday Night

I have always stated on this site I'd rather live next to Tubby than rick. Tubby seems to be a good man, no doubt. No doubt at all, but, I must have missed those years of title discussions. I didn't miss all those years he still took the top pay for mediocre results and sub-par recruiting. I didn't miss those years. It seemed UK was discussed a lot but it was as an after thought. Kind of uofl or iu esque discussions...laughing under the breath at UK having any legitimate shot at a title...

This.

People tend to remember the last the way they want to remember it, rather than how it actually was.

For the record, I don’t dislike Tubby. However, I don’t think he was an amazing coach who needs his name in the Rafters.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBUK
I’m revising history? He won as many titles as Cal did in 9 years. He never failed to make the tournament and win at least one game, His record was outstanding, He never got in any trouble. You’re the one trying to revise history by trying to pretend he doesn’t get the credit for what he did while he was here.

Some of those things are true, however it’s not the whole story.

Tubby inherited Kentucky at arguably a better time than what anyone else ever inherited in the history of our program. I think we can agree that Cal didn’t have that luxury.

It’s a lot easier to be handed the keys to a Ferrari than to build one yourself

Somebody else could have won that championship with those players.

"Could have"? Sure.
Would have? Odds are, no.
That was not the best team in the country, or even one of the 3-4 favorites.

The core:
Sheppard, Mohammad, Padgett, Turner, Evans, Edwards, Magloire
Supporting cast: Mills, Smith, Bradley, Anthony

Only the 2 bigs got more than a cup of coffee in the NBA. None of those players were "star" quality players. It was just a nice group, that fit well together, and was well coached. For you "young" UK fans, it would be like a Calipari team of Lamb, WCS, Willis, Teague, Poythess, Liggins, & Humphries.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

Tubby inherited Kentucky at arguably a better time than what anyone else ever inherited in the history of our program. I think we can agree that Cal didn’t have that luxury.

You act like it has taken Cal years to build UK to where we are now. Cal's very first UK team (as a result of his instant recruiting success), had way more talent than Tubby's first UK team.
It's not even close (Wall, Cousins, Patterson, Bledsoe, Orton, Miller, Liggins, Dodson compared to Sheppard, Mohammad, Padgett, Turner, Evans, Edwards, Magloire).

So to use your analogy, Cal's first practice he walked in to see the parts to a Ferrari (even if he did have 75% of them shipped there himself), where as Tubby's first practice he walked in to see the parts to a Mustang (still a fast car, capable of winning a race, but it's no Ferrari).

Cal did not build this program. That’s the worst metaphor ever.

You act like it has taken Cal years to build UK to where we are now. Cal's very first UK team (as a result of his instant recruiting success), had way more talent than Tubby's first UK team.
It's not even close (Wall, Cousins, Patterson, Bledsoe, Orton, Miller, Liggins, Dodson compared to Sheppard, Mohammad, Padgett, Turner, Evans, Edwards, Magloire).

So to use your analogy, Cal's first practice he walked in to see the parts to a Ferrari (even if he did have 75% of them shipped there himself), where as Tubby's first practice he walked in to see the parts to a Mustang (still a fast car, capable of winning a race, but it's no Ferrari).

90% of coaching is getting the best players possible. Cal is able to attract high level talent on a consistent basis. He is the master of this, as well as marketing and selling his program.

Tubby, has a long history (10-12 years) at 4 different schools of lower the bar of expectations to multiple fan bases and not putting the effort into recruiting.

As a Memphis alum and season ticket holder, I, like many UK fans have witnessed both coaches. It's not even close who the better coach is, it's Cal.

Cal did not build this program. That’s the worst metaphor ever.

If Cal didn't rebuild UK, who did? Cal brought the #1 recruiting class of 2009 with him courtesy of Memphis. He's consistently recruited a Top 5 class every year. No other coach UK could have hired at the time would have had them relevant in under 3 years. You people forget what a dumpster fire you had on your hands. Gardner Webb ring a bell?

90% of coaching is getting the best players possible. Cal is able to attract high level talent on a consistent basis. He is the master of this, as well as marketing and selling his program.

Tubby, has a long history (10-12 years) at 4 different schools of lower the bar of expectations to multiple fan bases and not putting the effort into recruiting.

As a Memphis alum and season ticket holder, I, like many UK fans have witnessed both coaches. It's not even close who the better coach is, it's Cal.

I am almost inclined to like your post. (I don't do that to many visitors (Not that it matters what I do.) In fact, I think I will. Good Post.

I post when I feel like it. It’s human nature for people to speak out more when dissatisfied than satisfied. You’re free to enjoy Cals time more than Tubbys. I enjoyed Tubbys and those players meant a lot more to me than Cals players. What’s not fair is you trying to paint the picture that Tubby wasn’t a great coach because he was one of the best. If you had a problem with Tubbys 10 loss seasons but not Cals then Tubby wasn’t the problem.

I don’t speak for anyone else, but it wasn’t the 10 loss season that made me unhappy with Tubby. Every now and then it will happen. However, 10 loss seasons after seasons just got old.

You could argue SHEPPARD and Edwards were 4* type recruits but neither were McDonald’s all Americans. And success is all relative. Minnesota had been to the tournament 9 times when Tubby got there and 4 of those had been vacated. So he went 3 times in 6 years while in the previous 70 they had gone 5 without cheating. Add to that fact that he still wasn’t doing the AAU thing, meaning, there’s no doubt Tubbys time as an elite coach was over when he got there. He still overachieved. Look, Tubby is where he belongs now. That’s a fact. However, in the 90’s, he was an elite coach.

He was an elite coach because he won a championship with Pitino’s players?

That makes me feel good because I know most of us on here could’ve won with those players, so I guess we could all have been elected coaches during that time.

I can see why you’d think I said it took Cal years to rebuild us after reading it, but that’s not what I was implying. Cal is an elite coach, so it obviously didn’t take him long.

As far as my analogy, no way. If you read earlier posts, you’d see all the talent and experience Tubby walked into vs. Cal.

Cal still had to recruit those players to Kentucky, regardless.

He had the best players for years. Is he lacking the other 10%?

If Cal didn't rebuild UK, who did? Cal brought the #1 recruiting class of 2009 with him courtesy of Memphis. He's consistently recruited a Top 5 class every year. No other coach UK could have hired at the time would have had them relevant in under 3 years. You people forget what a dumpster fire you had on your hands. Gardner Webb ring a bell?
All true. Just 1 minor note. Calipari has actually recruited a national top 2 class every year. This is why I chuckle when people pompously talk about Calipari “getting his swag back”. Where did it go? LOL! Obviously, Calipari has had his recruiting swag all along.

Reactions: jojohn
All true. Just 1 minor note. Calipari has actually recruited a national top 2 class every year. This is why I chuckle when people pompously talk about Calipari “getting his swag back”. Where did it go? LOL! Obviously, Calipari has had his recruiting swag all along.

My thought exactly. You don't have the type recruits Cal recruits every year in abundance. Of course Cal misses some, but not much. Cal seems to not only value talent but also includes lifestyle or life principles into the equation he uses to recruit. He hasn't messed up in that area much, if at all...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT