ADVERTISEMENT

Stoop’s biggest asset and best attribute

Rockfly78

Senior
Nov 20, 2014
Is definitely his ability to attract and manage staff and promote continuity. I know I know, we have gone through a lot of OC’s. But once we got the right one he managed to bring him back a second time and seemingly keep him against the threat of another NFL opportunity. Let’s face it, a lot of times stoops leaves something to be desired in the coaching department. But he has done a really good job of bringing in attractive assistant coaches and keeping them. He seems to be a good people manager

Getting wofford back as our OL coach is huge. Just huge. It’s rare to see talented coaches circle back to a place where they were before. I’d be willing to bet that he re-purposes yensor as well instead of firing him. Let’s not forget the grace in which he treated Eddie grann. He gave him a parachute and grann was happy to stick around. A place like Kentucky will never be a talent hotbed or an elite name. But continuity will keep us out of the cellar. Props to stoops in this area.

I'm 50/50...he's shown he can get rid of outsiders who aren't meeting expectations, but the head man still has some worthless staff members who only have a job because they're buddies with CMS... Buffono or however u say it comes to mind immediately. Probably would've canned him before Yenser TBH (and I'm happy about Yenser being let go)

Not sure wolford coming back is “Stoops ability to attract and manage a staff”…..feels more like your spouse cheated on you and split up…and after marrying another….you both decide you’re better then rhe current relationship and let’s run it bsck😜

Wolford is a Bette Oline coach then Yenser…not sure he’s amazing but Yenser was the pits to be honest

Ad far as attract a great staff…Buffano, Mike Stoops , etc leave alot to be desired IMO. And we just fired Wr coach last year and OC and Rb coach the year before that

Feels more like lately Stoops is canning bad decisions vs earlier we’d lose good coaching to better jobs. We’ll see if Stoops csn turn UK back in right direction

I think he's had some hits and misses on staff hirings. It's been hard to attract both a good developer and recruiter to a midtier SEC program, and those are the rare assistants who rise quickly so it's all understandable. It's hard to get a staff of assistants like Clink, Sumrall, Matt House, John Schlarman, Dean Hood, Eddie Gran, and Brad White like in 2018.

IMO his greatest strength in terms of staff building is he can be ruthless and move on from guys if they aren't performing, and his standards have risen from the 2013-2015 era, to the 2016-2018 era, to the 2018-current era.
  • He just resigned Yenser to an extension but with Wolford available after Saban's retirement he went ahead and made the move no one expected pre-retirement.
  • He recruited DJ Eliot as a player to Wyoming, brought him up the ranks, promoted him at UK, and then moved him to Colorado.
  • Gran was his best OC at that point, and he fired him a year after UGA wanted him.
  • Took Scharlman off the beat at the KY lead recruiter around 2016, and gave Marrow double-duty for KY and OH.

I think Marrow has a longer leash than the rest, but I'm wondering if he retains the RC title if Stoops can get another strong recruiter who is young, proves himself for two years, and then takes the title because Stoops needs to retain him before leaving for a place like OSU, 'Bama, Texas, etc.

Not sure wolford coming back is “Stoops ability to attract and manage a staff”…..feels more like your spouse cheated on you and split up…and after marrying another….you both decide you’re better then rhe current relationship and let’s run it bsck😜

Wolford is a Bette Oline coach then Yenser…not sure he’s amazing but Yenser was the pits to be honest

Ad far as attract a great staff…Buffano, Mike Stoops , etc leave alot to be desired IMO. And we just fired Wr coach last year and OC and Rb coach the year before that

Feels more like lately Stoops is canning bad decisions vs earlier we’d lose good coaching to better jobs. We’ll see if Stoops csn turn UK back in right direction
You are being nice KTime. Stoops is clueless and the constant staff turnover is a huge indication. Can’t believe he hired this guy back.

Reactions: UKat1
IMHO, being able to manage all the personnel within the football program is the most demanding and hardest of all a coaches duties. Hiring coaches and on field coaching gets most of the headlines but being able to manage his coaches and other personnel within the program is what makes the quality of the program. Support from the University and AD are extremely important but the coach has to coach with the hand he's dealt.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Some things I can agree or disagree with with some nuance. But this is my biggest gripe with stoops in his current iteration. He isn’t even looking to attract anything other than people he knows. There is no sense that he is trying to push envelopes, grow or keep pace. At best he’s just attempting to recapture the past. He was willing to live with yenser although it was another curious hire and keep for him and only decided to make a move when one of his boys was available. And I’m not anti Wolford I think we’re just seeing a continuation of his mindset in hiring. Fans that whine that we don’t have money to compete aren’t paying attention to the money stoops has pissed away paying off coaches. Dude isn’t exactly mr efficient manager.

Last edited:
IMHO, being able to manage all the personnel within the football program is the most demanding and hardest of all a coaches duties. Hiring coaches and on field coaching gets most of the headlines but being able to manage his coaches and other personnel within the program is what makes the quality of the program. Support from the University and AD are extremely important but the coach has to coach with the hand he's dealt.
The new version of cfb is going to require a 'front office' that is attached to the athletic department and not under the coach. We're seeing incremental moves to that in some schools.

I think he's had some hits and misses on staff hirings. It's been hard to attract both a good developer and recruiter to a midtier SEC program, and those are the rare assistants who rise quickly so it's all understandable. It's hard to get a staff of assistants like Clink, Sumrall, Matt House, John Schlarman, Dean Hood, Eddie Gran, and Brad White like in 2018.

IMO his greatest strength in terms of staff building is he can be ruthless and move on from guys if they aren't performing, and his standards have risen from the 2013-2015 era, to the 2016-2018 era, to the 2018-current era.
  • He just resigned Yenser to an extension but with Wolford available after Saban's retirement he went ahead and made the move no one expected pre-retirement.
  • He recruited DJ Eliot as a player to Wyoming, brought him up the ranks, promoted him at UK, and then moved him to Colorado.
  • Gran was his best OC at that point, and he fired him a year after UGA wanted him.
  • Took Scharlman off the beat at the KY lead recruiter around 2016, and gave Marrow double-duty for KY and OH.

I think Marrow has a longer leash than the rest, but I'm wondering if he retains the RC title if Stoops can get another strong recruiter who is young, proves himself for two years, and then takes the title because Stoops needs to retain him before leaving for a place like OSU, 'Bama, Texas, etc.

UGA never wanted him as OC, he didn't want the TE job which was the only opening. He was never offered the OC job. But you want to believe UK's guy which is cool, I believe the ones that covered the actual hiring.

UGA never wanted him as OC, he didn't want the TE job which was the only opening. He was never offered the OC job. But you want to believe UK's guy which is cool, I believe the ones that covered the actual hiring.
I think it was something like te coach and run game coordinator, which he was very strong at, but yeah it wasn’t full on OC

Not sure wolford coming back is “Stoops ability to attract and manage a staff

Definitely isn't. Wolford was out of a job and needed a landing spot. This following his OL cost bama time and again with bad snaps and generally mediocre play. Given the timing, we were probably one of the few willing to instantly fire our current coach and hire him. Of that few, we were his best option.

I really don't know any of that is even disputable. The only question that remains is will be dump us again in the midst of a recruiting visit and flip the kid from UK to his very recent new school.

Reactions: UKat1

Then mission accomplished

Stoops biggest asset is his name and all the hype that used to surround that.... other than that his stubbornness has helped him some but mostly hurt him.
Yeah I think as a fan base everybody was frustrated with him and these same issues early in his tenure. Lest we forget he was essentially one half of football away against New Mexico or whomever of being out of a job…there was an eku game around then that felt the same. They essentially had nothing but run run and run for an answer and they were forced to just live and die with getting 3-4 yards and play d and hope the other team made more mistakes. To stoops credit it happened and saved his job and then the label went from inept and stubborn to tough and unflappable. But the reality is it just kind of worked out for him more than it was some genius master plan. And again, credit to him for it working. Early in his tenure we had recruited multiple 4 star perimeter guys and well regarded skill guys that never became players, coaching mistakes in game, time mgt, soft d, etc etc those things have always been there it’s just that now you don’t have other dc’s like muschamp and Odom to make fewer bad decisions against and get w’s every year so it’s a different ball game and the old narratives are coming back…stubborn, lethargic, not prepared too often, etc.

Last edited:
I think it looks like we swapped a bad oLine Coach for a mediocre oLine coach.

Which I guess is going in the right direction.
You would think that a head coach in this day and age of turnover would have an excel spreadsheet of "great" positional coaches, and its continually updated just for situations like this, so that he could be ready....

Heck, if its too much work, assign someone to update it, and be in contact off the record with your top 5-10-15-20, etc. (A mix of NFL, college (D1, D2, D3)....)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT