ADVERTISEMENT

Sahvir Wheeler About to Commit Somewhere

I don't know what it is about Oscar, I think he is a good dood, but he also seems to come off abrasive to his teammates.

It’s because he’s African and doesn’t pull punches. He no gen z American entitled brat. I know some will take issue with it but it’s truth. Dude is old school. The feminization of western culture has weakened the mental toughness of our kids. The dude didn’t even filter when it came to the problems of the team calling out cal for yelling. Huh funny thing is after Oscar said that cal calmed and we started winning. It seems like you’d want a man who’s been through a real fight to live on your team. Someone not afraid to call guys out.

I had several African players but one kid, big athletic tough, this kid gets punched in a game and I ask him why he didn’t fight back. He said “coach where I come from when we go to fight it’s for our life”. That certainly isn’t this generation.

It’s because he’s African and doesn’t pull punches. He no gen z American entitled brat. I know some will take issue with it but it’s truth. Dude is old school. The feminization of western culture has weakened the mental toughness of our kids. The dude didn’t even filter when it came to the problems of the team calling out cal for yelling. Huh funny thing is after Oscar said that cal calmed and we started winning. It seems like you’d want a man who’s been through a real fight to live on your team. Someone not afraid to call guys out.

I had several African players but one kid, big athletic tough, this kid gets punched in a game and I ask him why he didn’t fight back. He said “coach where I come from when we go to fight it’s for our life”. That certainly isn’t this generation.
I can't wait for this mentality to die.

LOL, this is absurd

Tired Pbs Nature GIF by Nature on PBS

I still remember watching live (think it was live) when Jones originally committed to UW. Was so disappointed. Would have never imagined he would later end up here. We don't win that 2012 title without him here.
I know, I couldn’t believe later on when they said he called Cal and told him he made a mistake. I was so hyped up. Those were the days.

Well Quade and Brooks went on to wallow in mediocrity there. Anyone expecting much out of them next season?

They have two 7 footers in Franck Kepnang and Braxton Meah coming back (Kepnang was injured) and they have a PG in Koren Johnson coming back, although he could obviously play off the ball. And they have Brooks. They've lost 5 rotation players to transfer or graduation off a 16-16 team.

Reactions: Lempface
Tampa Cat... Off topic, so sorry about that. Me and the wife are heading to St Pete Beach next week. Any restaurants or activities that are "can't miss"? I appreciate any input! No worries if you don't feel like being a travel agent! Haha!
Not sure how close it will be to where you will be but we were in Treasure Island last year for Spring Break (think that's close to St Pete Beach) and we ate at Crabby's on the Pass in Treasure Island and it was fantastic. The food and the view were awesome. You could sit right on the water and watch dolphins swimming and it was really good seafood.

Reactions: FinancialPlannerZac
We have an odd player-swap history with Washington. We got Terrance Jones and Enes Kanter (sort of). They got Quade Green, Keion Brooks, and Sahvir Wheeler. I sorta feel bad for Washington in these exchanges.

Reactions: jmw23712

I see what you're saying, but I feel there is contradiction in saying that an African dude basically isn't pussified like people in the west, but then calls out a coach who does what lots of coaches have done for decades, yell.

I see what you're saying, but I feel there is contradiction in saying that an African dude basically isn't pussified like people in the west, but then calls out a coach who does what lots of coaches have done for decades, yell.

I think Oscar sees the disconnect too and is trying to overcome it. Maybe he thinks standing up to the coach will endear him with his teammates? I think probably though oscar just says what’s on his mind and that doesn’t play well with gen z.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Tampa Cat... Off topic, so sorry about that. Me and the wife are heading to St Pete Beach next week. Any restaurants or activities that are "can't miss"? I appreciate any input! No worries if you don't feel like being a travel agent! Haha!
No help, but every time I hear St Pete it reminds me of the following:

We were in St Petes when my kids were very young: 4, 5, 8 yrs. old. We were going to the beach after checking in our first day in town, and we reminded the kids to use the toilet before we left, which everyone did except my youngest son, the 4 yr. old. So the first thing out of his mouth when his first toe hit the sand on his first trip to the beach was: "I need to pee". My wife tells him to pee in the water and we continue putting up umbrellas, laying out beach towels, etc., only monitoring the kids peripherally. When I finally focused my full attention on them I see Luc standing at the edge of the ocean, peeing into the water. The funny part was that he was timing it so that he only let a stream go when the tide was up next to him, and would cut it off when the tide went out, let it go when it came back in, and so forth and so on. I can't believe that's already been 20 yrs. ago...

If Oscar transferred it would bother me a bit, whether he can help or not is another debate. But Wheeler, well I’m not for degrading him publicly but I’m sure not gonna miss him.

No help, but every time I hear St Pete it reminds me of the following:

We were in St Petes when my kids were very young: 4, 5, 8 yrs. old. We were going to the beach after checking in our first day in town, and we reminded the kids to use the toilet before we left, which everyone did except my youngest son, the 4 yr. old. So the first thing out of his mouth when his first toe hit the sand on his first trip to the beach was: "I need to pee". My wife tells him to pee in the water and we continue putting up umbrellas, laying out beach towels, etc., only monitoring the kids peripherally. When I finally focused my full attention on them I see Luc standing at the edge of the ocean, peeing into the water. The funny part was that he was timing it so that he only let a stream go when the tide was up next to him, and would cut it off when the tide went out, let it go when it came back in, and so forth and so on. I can't believe that's already been 20 yrs. ago...
That is hilarious! Preciate the story!

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
I hope Wheeler does well at Washington. I don't think he is a bad kid. I think the situation here mushroomed into something he just couldn't handle.

He lead the SEC in assists every season he played, and would have again this past year except for coming up a few games short on qualifying. He always gambled and made a few too many assists, and took a few bad shots. He also had to work with a whole new starting 5 every year, and even NPOY Oscar wasn't adept at posting up or getting open. None of our guys were.

I think Wheeler took the heat for that. He also got abused in the mom defense because of his size. Frankly, there is nothing he change about that.

I think the whole situation blew up, he lost his job and his confidence. I doubt any of us here would hold our tongue when the whole world is ragging how we did our job. Especially when we were 18-22 years old.

This team needed Cason at PG. It crushed this kid, the SEC assist leader 3 years running.

For me, I'm going to give him a little grace for the missteps at the end of the season for that reason. It all feels like piling on to me. At my age, I just don't have the stomach for that anymore. And I think Cal should do a lot of things differently, but protecting kids from the bloodthirsty press and intrusive fans ..... I think he does that part right.

St. Pete Beach is a beautiful beach. I'm not much of a seafood person, but Rumfish Grill is cool (large indoor aquariums) and has a reputation for good seafood.

He meant “hotdog eating contest”
There is absolutely NO SPEED from Wheeler. Have people not watched him run the court? He runs with his hands glued to his hips. He may be thinking of how quickly he was able to get to the basket, but then he forgets that the defense sagged off him to defend the three and passes. There's a distinct possibility that one too many screens he ran into in the prior season has clouded his judgement.

Hey my friend, no problem!!

I used to live by St Pete Beach, it's incredible.

Just depends on what you like!

BUT, these are all places that I have personally been to, so I can attest that they are worth it (depending on what you like).

Best place to watch the sunset is Level 11, a rooftop bar/grill right on the beach, just try to get there 45 mins or an hour before sunset, sit and have a beer or drink, get some food, and it's great.

Right down the road from it is the Don Cesar Hotel, which is old and historic but MASSIVE, and they have a couple of pools and a couple of great bars by the beach, but it's a bit pricey.

A couple of super casual beach bars/restaurants with food as well are

The Toasted Monkey:

Jimmy B's Beach Bar:

Caddy's Beach Bar:

Some easy going restaurants that I really like as well:

And plenty more, there are dozens and dozens of great places if you just drive or walk up and down Gulf Blvd.

If you have a car and want to go about 5-10 mins north, there is an area called Johns Pass which is cool, or 5-10 mins down south is an area called Pass-A-Grille which is also excellent!

And if you'd like, you can drive or get an Uber or the SunRunner over to Downtown St. Pete, which is probably about a 10-15 minute drive, and is SO worth it.

There are dozens of breweries, a couple hundred restaurants, the brand new St. Pete Pier, the Saturday Morning Market (one of the largest in the US every Saturday), Tropicana Field to catch a Tampa Bay Rays game, etc. etc.- Happy to provide some recommendations for downtown St. Pete as well if you'd like!

And plenty more, there are dozens and dozens of great places if you just drive or walk up and down Gulf Blvd.

If you have a car and want to go about 5-10 mins north, there is an area called Johns Pass which is cool, or 5-10 mins down south is an area called Pass-A-Grille which is also excellent!

And if you'd like, you can drive or get an Uber or the SunRunner over to Downtown St. Pete, which is probably about a 10-15 minute drive, and is SO worth it.

There are dozens of breweries, a couple hundred restaurants, the brand new St. Pete Pier, the Saturday Morning Market (one of the largest in the US every Saturday), Tropicana Field to catch a Tampa Bay Rays game, etc. etc.- Happy to provide some recommendations for downtown St. Pete as well if you'd like!
Yeah, I think John's Pass is where that Crabby's on the Pass I mentioned is located. It was a really cool area and close to where we were staying on Treasure Island. Food and views were both amazing. Should probably get there early though if you want to get a good seat. We went at like 5 PM back-to-back nights just to make sure we could get a table outside on the water.

Hey my friend, no problem!!

I used to live by St Pete Beach, it's incredible.

Just depends on what you like!

BUT, these are all places that I have personally been to, so I can attest that they are worth it (depending on what you like).

Best place to watch the sunset is Level 11, a rooftop bar/grill right on the beach, just try to get there 45 mins or an hour before sunset, sit and have a beer or drink, get some food, and it's great.

Right down the road from it is the Don Cesar Hotel, which is old and historic but MASSIVE, and they have a couple of pools and a couple of great bars by the beach, but it's a bit pricey.

A couple of super casual beach bars/restaurants with food as well are

The Toasted Monkey:

Jimmy B's Beach Bar:

Caddy's Beach Bar:

Some easy going restaurants that I really like as well:

Thank you very much, man! If you want to throw out some Downtown St Pete Beach options I'll def take it as we were already planning to go there at least one night!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT