ADVERTISEMENT

Wheeler being Wheeler

Still don't understand this board's obsession with Wheeler and Brooks. It's not that hard to just wish them well and not hang on their every move at Washington. It didn't work out here for them, that's fine. Hopefully you all didn't get judged solely based on moments you didn't handle 100% correctly when you were their age.

Pretty sure you were a big Wheeler guy, @IL Wildcat
Yes, I was. Won't deny it. There are things he does very well. So long as he was surrounded with guys who could score, he was pretty good. Watching that game last night, he had 11 assists, which is excellent. He also missed 10 of 14 shots, though he made 3 three pointers (one was banked in from nearly 30ft), which I don't think ever happened at UK. But he missed multiple times right at the rim. Even back when I defended him, I acknowledged that he was limited. There is no question, if he's not surrounded with multiple shooters/scorers, the team is going to struggle. If he must score, the team is in trouble. On this particular Washington team, Wheeler was needed to score. He had 11 assists last night because guys were hitting shots who don't usually make them. That team is currently 16-13 and their only chance to make the NCAA-T is to win the PAC12 tournament, which won't happen.

If you're looking for an apology, here's my best one... I wouldn't trade any of our current guards for Wheeler. 😀

Reactions: sefus12 and STL_Cat
Wheeler had to be surrounded by great shooters and players in order to be effective. He could drive the ball and he could pass the ball, but he couldn't finish and couldn't make shots.
And he ESPECIALLY needed to play in space like we do more today. He had some shooter then but we were playing Cal's clogged up circle cut offense and he was dead in the water without driving lanes. When you cant drive or shoot there's not much more you're going to get done out there. But we had a stretch where we were spacing it and he looked pretty good in that drivnig and whipping it around - so did the others as well. Then things deteriorated back to a clogged up slogging style again. But he had his moments. I remember the Duke game his first year and he was all we had, everyone else looked completley lost.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
Yes, I was. Won't deny it. There are things he does very well. So long as he was surrounded with guys who could score, he was pretty good. Watching that game last night, he had 11 assists, which is excellent. He also missed 10 of 14 shots, though he made 3 three pointers (one was banked in from nearly 30ft), which I don't think ever happened at UK. But he missed multiple times right at the rim. Even back when I defended him, I acknowledged that he was limited. There is no question, if he's not surrounded with multiple shooters/scorers, the team is going to struggle. If he must score, the team is in trouble. On this particular Washington team, Wheeler was needed to score. He had 11 assists last night because guys were hitting shots who don't usually make them. That team is currently 16-13 and their only chance to make the NCAA-T is to win the PAC12 tournament, which won't happen.

If you're looking for an apology, here's my best one... I wouldn't trade any of our current guards for Wheeler. 😀
Lol , you sound like my son when he was 16-17 , you catch him in a doozy and it's " I was W...... I was Wr ...... ....................................................... I was Wr......................... Ah forget I'm not saying it" ... LOL

Wheeler had to be surrounded by great shooters and players in order to be effective. He could drive the ball and he could pass the ball, but he couldn't finish and couldn't make shots.
So his one skill was to drive 15ft in a straight line and do nothing.

• Haha
Wheeler was like a miniature T-Rex (in build, definitely not personality) trying to play point guard, or basketball in general

So his one skill was to drive 15ft in a straight line and do nothing.
He could handle well, was quick with the ball in his hands, and had really good court vision- could find the open guy and get him the ball. When he was surrounded with great offensive players, it was a thing of beauty. At the height of their play, that team was very good. If you get a chance, rewatch some of those January games from that season. They were humming at that point, playing as well as anyone in the nation. But it fell apart...

Injuries to TyTy Washington and then to Kellan Grady killed that team, in my opinion. After TyTy's injury, he was never the same. Then we find out after the season that Grady had been dealing with chronic issues that affected his play. Wheeler obviously isn't the guy who could carry the offense. His limitations became glaring deficiencies at that point.

He could handle well, was quick with the ball in his hands, and had really good court vision- could find the open guy and get him the ball. When he was surrounded with great offensive players, it was a thing of beauty. At the height of their play, that team was very good. If you get a chance, rewatch some of those January games from that season. They were humming at that point, playing as well as anyone in the nation. But it fell apart...

Injuries to TyTy Washington and then to Kellan Grady killed that team, in my opinion. After TyTy's injury, he was never the same. Then we find out after the season that Grady had been dealing with chronic issues that affected his play. Wheeler obviously isn't the guy who could carry the offense. His limitations became glaring deficiencies at that point.
No matter how well we played we had a low ceiling come tournament time with Wheeler running point. For me personally I’m always judging how what we do translates to a championship run. Wheeler’s deficiencies were many and easily exploitable. It was a disservice to both UK and Wheeler for him to even be on the team to begin with. Cal’s inability to land the top freshman in specific roles put him in a bind over and over. Wheeler is just one example.

No matter how well we played we had a low ceiling come tournament time with Wheeler running point. For me personally I’m always judging how what we do translates to a championship run. Wheeler’s deficiencies were many and easily exploitable. It was a disservice to both UK and Wheeler for him to even be on the team to begin with. Cal’s inability to land the top freshman in specific roles put him in a bind over and over. Wheeler is just one example.
My problem is with the “Wheeler will start and you’re an idiot if you don’t think so” group when we got to Wheeler’s 2nd season. They just couldn’t get past his assist numbers to see that he wasn’t the type of player we needed to rely on to steer the ship in March. Hes just not that dude. I thought he could be a helpful piece as a spark plug off the bench but some people here just weren’t hearing it and they’d treat anyone who disagree like they were idiots. Well, here we are.

Lol , you sound like my son when he was 16-17 , you catch him in a doozy and it's " I was W...... I was Wr ...... ....................................................... I was Wr......................... Ah forget I'm not saying it" ... LOL

I believe you are confusing real life with Television............Arthur Fonzerelli - aka The Fonz, heyyyyy - said that on an episode of Happy Days years ago. 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
I'm not sure why Cal targeted Wheeler. He wasn't an absolute stud or anything at Georgia, and he didn't seem to match Cal's PG prototype. It was a curious addition.
I always figured that Cal took him because he was the kind of guard that comes into Rupp and lights us up. So he didn’t take him for what he could for UK but what he could do against UK. He neutralized him.

Cal ran us into the ground with Wheeler and Brooks. Cal loves him some 5 star, and/or whatever his first thoughts of someone's game are. Remember, Wheeler beat us at Georgia. He will run that shit into the ground before he changes it. Literaly gave Wheeler the option to sit out after Cal took his starting spot. And some people really believe Cal is here to win. The same dude that used to trash Dontaie Allen in the post-game pressers after he played great, because he was Cal's last option. Don't ever forget that all of this shit happened.

You can't play favorites, and run an elite program at Kentucky. We can't hide you either, Cal.

Allen had a few really good moments but he is now just a decent player at WKU. I would never say this but some would if he had not been from the state: "He was never UK material."

Cal ran us into the ground with Wheeler and Brooks. Cal loves him some 5 star, and/or whatever his first thoughts of someone's game are. Remember, Wheeler beat us at Georgia. He will run that shit into the ground before he changes it. Literaly gave Wheeler the option to sit out after Cal took his starting spot. And some people really believe Cal is here to win. The same dude that used to trash Dontaie Allen in the post-game pressers after he played great, because he was Cal's last option. Don't ever forget that all of this shit happened.

You can't play favorites, and run an elite program at Kentucky. We can't hide you either, Cal.
The dude only averages 8 pts, 3 boards and .7 assts per game at WKU. He really only had one good game that I remember.

Reactions: saxonburgcat
The dude only averages 8 pts, 3 boards and .7 assts per game at WKU. He really only had one good game that I remember.

He had multiple good games. Was definitely the only bright spot on that team, in limited action.

Sounds like Wagner
There are similarities for sure. The biggest difference is Wagner is about 6 inches taller and a much better finisher. So, when he gets in the lane, he can usually score. Wheeler had to kick it out somewhere nearly every time because he was 5-9.

t_rex_playing_basketball__by_bosbosun-dbitmjh.jpg
To follow up on what I said earlier

Sounds like Wagner
Dude, no. Wagner’s stuff is largely mental although his shot is functionally broken. Wagner doesn’t look like a stiff bowling ball with carrots for appendages. He doesn’t have to put his whole ass into a shot to get it to the rim. He’s just pressing. I’d take Wagner back for another year if he was so inclined. Wagner got messed up in the head by Dillingham’s shot getting so much better immediately and by Sheppard doing 95% of everything right almost immediately. And then by falling behind in the flow of the team by the injury (or whatever happened behind the scenes for Cal to bench him for a bit).

I imagine people would probably take it easier on him if he hadn’t quit the team in the middle of the season because he wasn’t going to start anymore. Kind of killed the goodwill, honestly.

This was it for me. He could have played n the ncaa and maybe he gives Wallace a breather and maybe we beat kstate. Idk. It was bs. He's a quitter.

Reactions: STL_Cat and ck-2
I'm referring to his Freshman year, and he didn't play much. How many games did he play in that season, say over 7 or 8 minutes.

Actually, he played more than 8 minutes in 13 games, over half of the games played that year.

Actually, he played more than 8 minutes in 13 games, over half of the games played that year.

he played significant minutes (over 20 minutes) in 8 games, and scored in double digits in 4 of em, with a high of 23 points twice.

he played significant minutes (over 20 minutes) in 8 games, and scored in double digits in 4 of em, with a high of 23 points twice.

Exactly! When he was playing well, he got more time on the court. Isn't that what most fans want the coach to do, play the player who is playing well? It is interesting to see a similar pattern at WKU. He has good games and gets more PT and bad games and gets less PT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT