ADVERTISEMENT

Rupp is trash

1. This argument is so old...the fans aren't the reason or even an appreciable percentage of the issue
2. But there are literally many people standing in teh pic
- Bottom left of pic a whole section
- People in top level
- I'll grant you the middle sesctoin is seated (and empty seats)
3. The program is lifeless under Cal is also part...not much to care about if the players and coaches are so out of it.

I was there last night. Every time the crowd was starting to get into it, the refs would call a foul for FL and deflate the crowd. Every single time. There was never really an exciting run put together to cause the roof to blow off. It's hard to get into it when it seemed like FL scored on almost every possession down the court in some fashion.

Can’t believe anyone tries to defend it. Could only be season ticket holders who are embarrassed and won’t admit that it sucks. Here it is at tip last night..

Yeah a tiny snap shot. I was standing as were a good part of those around me (section 21, row KK). And the place was pretty loud, until the refs got involved. Not insane, but not that weak.

And, if you look closely at the tweeted photo, it's not yet tip off. The ref standing in front of Florida's bench still has the ball. Even then, off to the left in the crowd a huge part is standing. And the empty seats? They filled in right at tip (I have photos of how everyone was standing when we lead 83-79 and it was crazy loud).

I suspect Saturday will be a different animal, however. We all know how Rupp gets up like mad for teams like Tennessee.

Last edited:
Well, this is an age old debate, Corporate Kentucky has always ruled the lower arena, but that's where most of the donors come from. When you watch other teams play, they have rabid fans almost touching you on the floor, which makes for an incredibly tough place to play. When Rupp is rocking, it's one of the best, to many times though the blue hairs are just there and watching with not much activity as far as really getting in to the game. You lose some of the advantage playing in an off-campus arena, especially if the crowd is mostly older people. The eruption zone is good, but it needs to be all around the lower arena to get the desired effect.

people on here were also complaining about the game flow due to timeouts

think about the Georgia game. No one was saying how bad Rupp was then were they?

Reactions: KYFOSSIL
1. This argument is so old...the fans aren't the reason or even an appreciable percentage of the issue
2. But there are literally many people standing in teh pic
- Bottom left of pic a whole section
- People in top level
- I'll grant you the middle sesctoin is seated (and empty seats)
3. The program is lifeless under Cal is also part...not much to care about if the players and coaches are so out of it.
Cal's fault again? Please - Rupp has always had the "blue hair" effect for as long as I can recall. In fact, I think it was much worse prior to Cal in those mid-court lower level seats when all we saw were the old (old, old) folks. Now those seats are littered with different people, not sure if they inherited them from their blue haired parents, bough them on their own, or got them from Ticketmaster/Stubhub resales. But they are way better than they used to be.

The middle section empty seats fill to 100% just before tip. No idea what this clown on Tweeter is yapping about. Maybe we need more photos? I have a couple and one when we were up 83-79 where the entire arena was on their feet.

Cal's fault again? Please - Rupp has always had the "blue hair" effect for as long as I can recall. In fact, I think it was much worse prior to Cal in those mid-court lower level seats when all we saw were the old (old, old) folks. Now those seats are littered with different people, not sure if they inherited them from their blue haired parents, bough them on their own, or got them from Ticketmaster/Stubhub resales. But they are way better than they used to be.

The middle section empty seats fill to 100% just before tip. No idea what this clown on Tweeter is yapping about. Maybe we need more photos? I have a couple and one when we were up 83-79 where the entire arena was on their feet.
For every blue hair knitting, there are two or three half that age on their phones...

For every blue hair knitting, there are two or three half that age on their phones...
I saw old folks on their phones. I pulled my phone out three times - for photos. That's it. My wife texted and I just ignored her.

Put the damned phones down people! One of my pet peeves at any event these days, unless you're taking a photo, then put it away.

Reactions: CatPhight
I was there last night. Every time the crowd was starting to get into it, the refs would call a foul for FL and deflate the crowd. Every single time. There was never really an exciting run put together to cause the roof to blow off. It's hard to get into it when it seemed like FL scored on almost every possession down the court in some fashion.
Or bandana kid hit a three...

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Well scream at the damn refs, then......

I saw old folks on their phones. I pulled my phone out three times - for photos. That's it. My wife texted and I just ignored her.

Put the damned phones down people! One of my pet peeves at any event these days, unless you're taking a photo, then put it away.
Tween's spend more time running back and forth to concessions than in their seats...in and out more than a cock in a hen house...

Reactions: TheDude73
Obviously you were not at the game because the crowd was actually pretty wild and loud last night. Most of the lower level were on their feet for a lot of the game.

Maybe PONY UP and go to the game and make noise??
Love this age old, stupid response 😂

And everyone blaming refs for the reason it only gets loud for an average of about 5 seconds, then the old fatties are relieved that they get to sit back down and get on the phone/eat.

Here’s a better idea, give the tickets up to kids who will stand and cheer the whole game. It’s common sense.

• Haha
Reactions: chattanoogawildcat
Rupp will probably rock for the Gonzaga game. Big brand non-conference team. That's about the only time it gets loud for any sustained amount of time.

But let's be fair. It's not easy for an 80-year-old to stand and clap.
One at a time or stand and clap at the same time?

Have you ever tried to stand up at Rupp? People will call ushers over to have you sit down if you're up more than 5 seconds.
And here is a big part of the problem. It’s considered wrong to stand and cheer because you’re in the old people who came to do the same thing they do at home’s view. Get them out of the lower arena and on the couch where they belong.

If you want the crowd to get into the game you have to get a stop here and there. It’s that simple. Giving up baskets every time down the court deflates the crowd.

Love this age old, stupid response 😂

And everyone blaming refs for the reason it only gets loud for an average of about 5 seconds, then the old fatties are relieved that they get to sit back down and get on the phone/eat.

Here’s a better idea, give the tickets up to kids who will stand and cheer the whole game. It’s common sense.
In all fairness, the eRUPPtion zone only gets crazy when there's a camera on them. They are pretty weak when compared to, dare I say, Puke at Cameron.

But at that Miami game they were crazy. And I bet they will be again this Saturday night.

A better question is - where were you? Tickets aren't hard to come by. Let me guess...being a fatty on your couch with your phone in your hand blathering on the Rafters game thread?

In all fairness, the eRUPPtion zone only gets crazy when there's a camera on them. They are pretty weak when compared to, dare I say, Puke at Cameron.

But at that Miami game they were crazy. And I bet they will be again this Saturday night.

A better question is - where were you? Tickets aren't hard to come by. Let me guess...being a fatty on your couch with your phone in your hand blathering on the Rafters game thread?
The South Carolina environment is 100X better than rupp. Auburn. Miss St. Florida. A&M and on and on and on etc. etc. etc. You are apparently cool with that.

I’ve been to plenty of games, I don’t like going anymore because of the environment. You could hear a pin drop in that place last night for 95% of the game. We should have an environment where it forces the other team off their game because it’s so crazy in there. However, it’s quite the opposite and we only react to great plays. The 2 games I’ve been to this year there has been an old lady within arms reach only asking where Reed is and when is he gonna put reed in lol. They should not be in the lower bowl close to the court.

If you want the crowd to get into the game you have to get a stop here and there. It’s that simple. Giving up baskets every time down the court deflates the crowd.
This. I was at the game last night. Every time the crowd started to get loud and get into it we’d give up a wide open layup or a three. Florida kept the crowd out of the game.

The South Carolina environment is 100X better than rupp. Auburn. Miss St. Florida. A&M and on and on and on etc. etc. etc. You are apparently cool with that.
I got to chime in on this one, as I see it get brought up and it’s kind of a pet peeve of mine. It’s 100% easier to get a smaller arena rowdy, one time a year. You really think that’s the home crowd SC plays in front of year round? The only one on that list who has created a good environment year round is Auburn. Watch any of those other teams play anyone not named UK, and you’re going see empty seats and hear pin drops everywhere.

I got to chime in on this one, as I see it get brought up and it’s kind of a pet peeve of mine. It’s 100% easier to get a smaller arena rowdy, one time a year. You really think that’s the home crowd SC plays in front of year round? The only one on that list who has created a good environment year round is Auburn. Watch any of those other teams play anyone not named UK, and you’re going see empty seats and hear pin drops everywhere.
All the more reason we should be able to have it every game. If basketball really is so important/big around here…

Prove it

All the more reason we should be able to have it every game. If basketball really is so important/big around here…

Prove it
I’d imagine it’ll be up this Saturday. There are a lot of issues with the UK bball program, the fans and Rupp are pretty low on that list right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT