ADVERTISEMENT

Rupp Arena Tuesday Night...

Tampa_cat54

Senior
Apr 22, 2011
Needs to be ROCKINGG!!

Hope people understand how important this game is- this needs to be an absolutely electric atmosphere tomorrow night- Miami needs to be on their heels the ENTIRE game and not able to hear one another.

If anyone here is going to the game- BE LOUD! STAND UP! GET THAT PLACE ROCKINGGG!!

Get that place JUMPING!!

lol hopefully there’s non stop action and lots of highlight reel plays for the cats because let’s be real, that’s the only time rupp is ever rowdy. The fans will be sitting there like they at church for the other 36 minutes like always. This is just a fact at this point, common knowledge.

There’s your on campus rowdy arenas where college students fill most of the lower bowl. Then there’s Rupp where fans are spoiled (including myself) and treat it more like a spectacle/nba game

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
lol hopefully there’s non stop action and lots of highlight reel plays for the cats because let’s be real, that’s the only time rupp is ever rowdy. The fans will be sitting there like they at church for the other 36 minutes like always. This is just a fact at this point, common knowledge.

There’s your on campus rowdy arenas where college students fill most of the lower bowl. Then there’s Rupp where fans are spoiled (including myself) and treat it more like a spectacle/nba game

I completely agree with you except for big games.

Big games in Rupp is 2nd to none, and I have been to Phog Allen, Cameron Indoor, Assembly Hall, all multiple times, etc.

Big games in Rupp are unreal.

The problem is, for an opponent like Miami, even when they are top 10, I never know what to expect.

If UNC, Kansas, or Louisville were coming in Top-10, I would know, but Miami, I am not sure.

But one thing I do know- we need to BRING IT tomorrow night.

I would give just about anything to be there.

Pardon my French but f*ck these guys. Only Gary Parrish picking us to win.

They talk about us only beating St. Joe's by 8, but NOTHING about Miami only beating a shitty FIU team by 6 at home.

F__US4xWgAAFJyb

The problem is, for an opponent like Miami, even when they are top 10, I never know what to expect.

If UNC, Kansas, or Louisville were coming in Top-10, I would know, but Miami, I am not sure.

Trust me it’ll be rocking. Miami has just recently been to the place we are trying to get back to. That fact is not lost on the 20k+ that will be in attendance. This is a measuring stick game.

They talk about us only beating St. Joe's by 8, but NOTHING about Miami only beating a shitty FIU team by 6 at home.

F__US4xWgAAFJyb
I’m sure their placing a lot of importance on Miami having more experience, it’s what every college basketball media person overvalues now, and then I’m gonna assume they think we have nobody to guard omeir

I’m sure their placing a lot of importance on Miami having more experience, it’s what every college basketball media person overvalues now, and then I’m gonna assume they think we have nobody to guard omeir

I mean Omeir is 2 inches shorter than Tre Mitchell, I am not worried about their post presence and is only 3-10 from deep, not near the deep threat that Mitchell is.

I think if anything, we are equal at that position.

Game will be a damn shootout. Both high scoring teams who light it up from downtown. It'll be a fun game.

I mean Omeir is 2 inches shorter than Tre Mitchell, I am not worried about their post presence and is only 3-10 from deep, not near the deep threat that Mitchell is.

I think if anything, we are equal at that position.
I agree, I worry about omeir killing them on offensive rebounds he kills it at that

Reactions: Tampa_cat54
Hopefully Tues. night is bingo night so we can keep the Blue Hairs down to a minimum and get the rowdy younger crowd in there.
The brown hairs don’t buy tickets.

They sit home and partly watch the game while working their social media outlets.

Reactions: UKortho
meh, bunch of betas angling for social media clicks.

I don't give a f*ck really, at least they care enough to try to get people going.

Their takes annoy me too quite often but at least they care.

Half the blow-hards in Rupp barely care for half the games.

As someone who lives in FL and never gets to go to Rupp, I get frustrated when I see Rupp half-asleep.

I'm going to have to watch the game in the damn hospital. I have mastoiditis in my right ear and have already prob lost my hearing in that ear because of it. Literally found out about 8 hours ago. They are doing an operation in a couple hours to try and save my left ear hearing because it's spread so far. So I'm scared to death im gonna wake up deaf out of nowhere. Don't feel sorry for me, I've had all these major medical issues because Karma for Iraq and Afghanistan and the dirty shit I did caught up to me. I knew it would.

Sorry for dragging the thread down. I'm bored asf sitting in this hospital. My point is I really need a win tomorrow. Like really need something positive. My biggest fear is if we get behind, every player will try to take over like our 2017 game vs UCLA at Rupp. But this teams DNA seems way different. Miami will run with us and they are very physical. We gotta continue to shoot well. I'll be watching and cheering like crazy. For anyone that cares I'll let everyone know how everything went. Has anyone else had it and if so how bad was your outcome?

I'm going to have to watch the game in the damn hospital. I have mastoiditis in my right ear and have already prob lost my hearing in that ear because of it. Literally found out about 8 hours ago. They are doing an operation in a couple hours to try and save my left ear hearing because it's spread so far. So I'm scared to death im gonna wake up deaf out of nowhere. Don't feel sorry for me, I've had all these major medical issues because Karma for Iraq and Afghanistan and the dirty shit I did caught up to me. I knew it would.

Sorry for dragging the thread down. I'm bored asf sitting in this hospital. My point is I really need a win tomorrow. Like really need something positive. My biggest fear is if we get behind, every player will try to take over like our 2017 game vs UCLA at Rupp. But this teams DNA seems way different. Miami will run with us and they are very physical. We gotta continue to shoot well. I'll be watching and cheering like crazy. For anyone that cares I'll let everyone know how everything went. Has anyone else had it and if so how bad was your outcome?

I was at that game you speak of. This drunk guy in front of me kept referring to Thomas Welsh of UCLA as “Feathers”, and his voice sounded exactly like Mr. Garrison from South Park. Every time Welsh would hit a 15-footer, that guy would be like “goddamn Feathers again!” Lol I never figured that one out. Anyway, this team is light years ahead of that one in terms of sharing the ball. I’m not worried one bit about hero ball with this bunch.

Not worried as much about hero ball, but we still have a couple of freshmen who are sometimes trying to make plays that are not there and getting blocked and not finishing.

Yes, please let us know how everything goes. We care. Good luck and you'll be in my thoughts and prayers. Take care.❤

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
I'll be there and I guarantee it will be loud. Rupp is always rocking for big games like this and I doubt this will be an exception. I wonder sometimes about these posters who always think Rupp is a graveyard. Do they ever even go to games in person? Don't judge just by TV sound because it isn't always accurate. It will be loud in there tonight.

Reactions: UKortho and Wonky

F__US4xWgAAFJyb
None of it matters, just F’ing win tonight and show the world we’re back.

Reactions: Wonky
Game will be a damn shootout. Both high scoring teams who light it up from downtown. It'll be a fun game.
It’s the first time in a while that I thought we had an excellent chance of winning against a top team- and maybe winning convincingly.

OT: Can someone explain to me what the setup for shoot-around is.. someone who frequents games a lot?

I ask because I've heard that the opponent gets shoot around in Rupp, and Kentucky goes to Memorial Coliseum down the road for theirs. I feel like this is a terrible setup and creates a disadvantage for us, so I almost can't believe we are doing it this way.

The reason why I'm asking here is, the slow starts Kentucky has at home, while the opponent always shoots light outs.. might not be because of the crowd (at least not entirely).. but it would have EVERYTHING to do with having Kentucky do a shoot around in a different place than where the game is played.

Last edited:
OT: Can someone explain to me what the setup for shoot-around is.. someone who frequents games a lot?

I ask because I've heard that the opponent gets shoot around in Rupp, and Kentucky goes to Memorial Coliseum down the road for theirs. I feel like this is a terrible setup and creates a disadvantage for us, so I almost can't believe we are doing it this way.

The reason why I'm asking here is, the slow starts Kentucky has at home, while the opponent always shoots light outs.. might not be because of the crowd (at least not entirely).. but it would have EVERYTHING to do with having Kentucky do a shoot around in a different place than where the game is played.

The opponent does indeed do their shootarounds at Rupp.

We do ours at the Craft Center, not Memorial or Rupp.

This is because after shoot around is pre-game meal, and the players have about 3 hours of down-time to rest before the game, so Cal doesn't want to cart them all down to Rupp in a bus and then have to cart them all back for their break, and then cart them all down there again. So he does them at the Craft Center.

I don't agree with that personally, I would want every shootaround to be in Rupp, but it's our choice.

Last edited:
The opponent does indeed do their shootarounds at Rupp.

We do ours at the Craft Center, not Memorial or Rupp.

This is because after shoot around is pre-game meal, and the players have about 3 hours of down-time to rest before the game, so Cal doesn't want to cart them all down to Rupp in a bus and then have to cart them all back for their break, and then cart them all down there again. So he does them at the Craft Center.

I don't agree with that personally, I would want every shootaround to be in Rupp, but it's our choice.

This is so absurdly silly to me. There's a lot of things you can't change in sports.. but we have complete control over how we do shoot arounds. This could be changed without a whole lot of effort.

Having your team get shots up for an hour in one gym, and then expect them to shoot well in a different gym, with a different back drop, just isn't a good idea.

Until this changes, you can expect opposing teams to continue to get into a rhythm before we do. No wonder they go 3/4 from deep to open games, while we clank 3s.

This is so absurdly silly to me. There's a lot of things you can't change in sports.. but we have complete control over how we do shoot arounds. This could be changed without a whole lot of effort.

Having your team get shots up for an hour in one gym, and then expect them to shoot well in a different gym, with a different back drop, just isn't a good idea.

Until this changes, you can expect opposing teams to continue to get into a rhythm before we do. No wonder they go 3/4 from deep to open games, while we clank 3s.

I totally agree.

To give a little context to this- this is how Cal had to do shootarounds at Memphis, because the FedEx forum is about 25 minutes from campus. So he had the same issue with carting the players around town before a game, so they had to do them all on campus and then load up for the Fedex Forum later in the day.

This was also how they did shootarounds when he was the Nets coach, because most players lived closer to the practice gym than the arena in New Jersey.

So this is 25 years of Cal doing shootarounds in the practice gym,

I disagree with this and think we should do every shoot around in Rupp.

BUT- my bigger, MUCH MUCH BIGGER complaint is that we never practice in Rupp. We practice every single day in Joe Craft, never at Rupp.

This is VERY out of the ordinary- most teams practice in the practice gym before road games, and practice in their arena leading up to home games.

We do not do this- and to me, THAT is a much bigger deal.

We could have spent 2 hours/day in Rupp, 6 days per week, this past month prepping for home games.

That is hours upon hours upon hours our guys could spend becoming even better with that backdrop and that environment.

That is way more valuable than a 45 min shoot around in my mind, and it's a big problem that we don't practice in Rupp, ever.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT