ADVERTISEMENT

Rugby

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
Watching the women’s World Rugby Seven’s Series.

It’s pretty obvious where American Football came from.

It’s a bit more entertaining watching women in the scrum!

It looks like the secret is speed on the edges.

These ladies could put on a tackling
exhibition for safeties and corners!

I played rugby in college. Most Americans who've played both games will quickly tell you the parent is more fun than the child. You get fluid play, and the ball is constantly changing hands between sides and among teammates, like hoops or soccer. I think most Americans football fans would find it more entertaining if they could invest one afternoon in watching a couple of matches and reviewing some rules and explanatory material online. It promotes a different kind of fitness than our game. No one wants to carry 3 bills on a rugby pitch. You cannot be effective doing so. At the highest levels of play you'll find some superb jumbo athletes over 250 pounds weight, but only at that level.

I played rugby in college. Most Americans who've played both games will quickly tell you the parent is more fun than the child. You get fluid play, and the ball is constantly changing hands between sides and among teammates, like hoops or soccer. I think most Americans football fans would find it more entertaining if they could invest one afternoon in watching a couple of matches and reviewing some rules and explanatory material online. It promotes a different kind of fitness than our game. No one wants to carry 3 bills on a rugby pitch. You cannot be effective doing so. At the highest levels of play you'll find some superb jumbo athletes over 250 pounds weight, but only at that level.
I love rugby sevens. Not as big a fan of full man rugby.

rugby sevens reminds me of true option football.

Reactions: The-Hack and OSOK
Why bother with line outs when the throwing team always gets the ball? Same with scrums.

I went out with a buddy back in the 80`s as he tried out for Louisville club team. I was intrigued and was thinking about trying out. I was really quick side to side and very elusive . However, I was 5-10 160 pounds soaking wet then. I watched it for about an hour and realized that even the fast guys get killed in that game. Fascinating game but one that I felt best for my health to stay away from! ha

I love rugby sevens. Not as big a fan of full man rugby.

rugby sevens reminds me of true option football.
I went to the collegiate rugby 7 national championships in Philly this past May. I'm far from a rugby guy per say, but fell in love with it. Two 7 minute halves with a 2 minute halftime. Balls always moving, field is so big for 14 players, so lots of open play. Loved it!

I went to the collegiate rugby 7 national championships in Philly this past May. I'm far from a rugby guy per say, but fell in love with it. Two 7 minute halves with a 2 minute halftime. Balls always moving, field is so big for 14 players, so lots of open play. Loved it!
Is that time correct?

I watch Rugby some on TV. Pretty interesting, need to read up on the rules though so I can understand whats going on.

The Seven player game makes for fast action.

I enjoyed watching.

A fluid game that possesses athleticism and strength such as football, but lacks the full aesthetic without the forward pass.

need to read up on the rules though so I can understand whats going on.

When a team crosses the goal line,
they get 5 points. They then kick a
short conversion from the angle where they touched the ball down in the endzone. Hence, if a player dives in next to the pile on and touches down in the corner, he (I think it has to be the player who scored) kicks at a ridiculous angle. So when they enter the endzone at a corner and are still on their feet, they run toward the middle to try and touch the ball down in the middle of the endzone, and they can still be tackled.

The “conversion,” should the kick be
good is worth 2 points.

Hmmmm, 7 total for the TD and conversion!!!

On kickoffs, apparently the same
10 yard rule applies for an on-side kick.

Watch it for 2 minutes and the similarities begin to make themselves apparent. A “scrum” instead of a “line of scrimmage.”

I can see getting into the sport from 15 to 20 years old, when I was indestructible and healed more quickly!

Wait until they start being on NFL rosters, holding calls will go up very quickly. :)

Reactions: The-Hack

rugby 7s is an amazing watch - much betret than standard rugby

rugby 7s is an amazing watch - much betret than standard rugby

I think standard Rugby has 11 players.

And in practices, American FB players now have "7 man skellies."

The similarities are everywhere.

-15, hack.

-7's and full 15's are two completely different sports.

-to score a try you must touch the ball down in the try area. "Touchdown"

-dr Naismith was a rugby guy...so it has influenced basketball as well.

-hung it up at age 33. Lotta fun.

-65 -70meters wide 100 meters long, iirc.

- i saw UK beat UGA 80-7 (roughly) a few years ago. They were top 5 that year, iirc. There is more scoring in 15's than you would think.

What you said about the tackling is sad but oh so true. Those rugby men and women are tough and stable in their actions. I wouldn't be surprised if Bama and the Dogs aren't slipping them over here to coach.

I caught Rugby on TV a couple of times this past year and found it very interesting to watch.

Any games coming up on tv anywhere

I went out with a buddy back in the 80`s as he tried out for Louisville club team. I was intrigued and was thinking about trying out. I was really quick side to side and very elusive . However, I was 5-10 160 pounds soaking wet then. I watched it for about an hour and realized that even the fast guys get killed in that game. Fascinating game but one that I felt best for my health to stay away from! ha
With ever increasing access to quality (often foreign national) coaching, USA Rugby has eliminated a lot of the gratuitous violence. A guy your size can play winger these days without being turned into ground beef. Years ago in the Midwest, guys failed to appreciate they needed to mod from gridiron for their own safety, and everyone else's.

Rugby 7s is great I would encourage anyone to go just one time. The reason I think I like sevens better is with less guys on the field you can get those breakaways or a guy just bulldozing up the field then its open. Whereas with 15 guys on the pitch there's not much room to run. There are some big hits and stiff arms. Also its fast paced and lots of cool things from the guys that call to matches to all the crazy outfits out there plus its international so adds different chants and vibes. Next year I think its in California in late Feb early March then they head to I think Vancouver the following weekend and next year is the Olympics in Japan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT