ADVERTISEMENT

Areas that need improvement/coaching change

Nov 5, 2023
Everybody knows the head guy is not going anywhere so the obvious plan is to look at our weak areas and clean house underneath. I have listed what areas I think we are the weakest. Feel free to insert yours. I’ll start off:

1.) Quarterback- not throwing this all on Leary but your quarterback is your leader. I’ve seen very little leadership out of anybody on this team. Coaches included.

2.) Secondary-whoever that coach is is gone. The worst group on the field. Maybe it’s the coverage but I suspect it to be the approach and coaching. Whoever that coach is is not teaching the players..

3.) Offensive line- failure to achieve most objectives but mainly the stupid penalties. Not impressed with O line coach at all.

4.) Defense overall - I watched every game this year and this 3-4 if that’s what it is does not work. Deone Walker is the only steady performer. Terrible senior leadership on this side of the ball as well. I think it’s time we move on from not only the 3-4 but the coach as well. So that’s 3 coaches gone.

5.) the Australian experiment is over. Go find me a kid I don’t care if he’s from Mars as long as he can field position his punts. Punting from the 35 and having the opponent take over on their 45 won’t win you many.

6.) Game Preparation is at its all time worst. Never a Stoops strong point but we gotta be the most unprepared team in the Universe. Hire somebody if you have to but that’s gotta be fixed.

7.) Discipline- there is none

8.) Leadership - see above

9.) bad eggs - there are a few on this team that I wont mention, you been watching, you know who they are.

10.) Wide receiver- fire the coach, send some of the crybabies packing. Find me hungry receivers that want the ball and the contact.

11.) Speed up the damn game. Running 50 plays a game is a losing mentality. Not only that, it’s boring, creates division on offense, and sucks to watch. Line up and play. Your team looks like a team of pussys when you milk clock the whole game. I’d rather get beat fighting than standing there watching clock run, wasting timeouts, breaking huddle with 5 seconds left…

That’s a start. Feel free to agree or disagree. I don’t want to ever sit thru another season like this. Swallowed a lot of crap this year because of shoddy play and arrogance from the top down. Need to get back to humble and hungry. Mr Pony Up should start it off by donating half his pay to NIL. He didn’t earn it.

Totally agree with every point!!
DEVELOP a Quarterback, don't have to go out and get one.

Getting rid of the 3-4. Get back to a base 4-3. We have the lineman and the linebackers to play this. Do it. Secondary drop the damn zone and get in man on man with pressure on the line. Might give up a play or two but lets be aggressive.

Totally agree with every point!!
DEVELOP a Quarterback, don't have to go out and get one.

Getting rid of the 3-4. Get back to a base 4-3. We have the lineman and the linebackers to play this. Do it. Secondary drop the damn zone and get in man on man with pressure on the line. Might give up a play or two but lets be aggressive.
Third and long always gave me a terrible feeling, I knew they were going to give up a big play. Pressure, contain and cover, damn, it was bad all season but the usc game was ridiculous.

Everybody knows the head guy is not going anywhere so the obvious plan is to look at our weak areas and clean house underneath. I have listed what areas I think we are the weakest. Feel free to insert yours. I’ll start off:

1.) Quarterback- not throwing this all on Leary but your quarterback is your leader. I’ve seen very little leadership out of anybody on this team. Coaches included.

2.) Secondary-whoever that coach is is gone. The worst group on the field. Maybe it’s the coverage but I suspect it to be the approach and coaching. Whoever that coach is is not teaching the players..

3.) Offensive line- failure to achieve most objectives but mainly the stupid penalties. Not impressed with O line coach at all.

4.) Defense overall - I watched every game this year and this 3-4 if that’s what it is does not work. Deone Walker is the only steady performer. Terrible senior leadership on this side of the ball as well. I think it’s time we move on from not only the 3-4 but the coach as well. So that’s 3 coaches gone.

5.) the Australian experiment is over. Go find me a kid I don’t care if he’s from Mars as long as he can field position his punts. Punting from the 35 and having the opponent take over on their 45 won’t win you many.

6.) Game Preparation is at its all time worst. Never a Stoops strong point but we gotta be the most unprepared team in the Universe. Hire somebody if you have to but that’s gotta be fixed.

9.) bad eggs - there are a few on this team that I wont mention, you been watching, you know who they are.

10.) Wide receiver- fire the coach, send some of the crybabies packing. Find me hungry receivers that want the ball and the contact.

11.) Speed up the damn game. Running 50 plays a game is a losing mentality. Not only that, it’s boring, creates division on offense, and sucks to watch. Line up and play. Your team looks like a team of pussys when you milk clock the whole game. I’d rather get beat fighting than standing there watching clock run, wasting timeouts, breaking huddle with 5 seconds left…

That’s a start. Feel free to agree or disagree. I don’t want to ever sit thru another season like this. Swallowed a lot of crap this year because of shoddy play and arrogance from the top down. Need to get back to humble and hungry. Mr Pony Up should start it off by donating half his pay to NIL. He didn’t earn it.
Good post.

On both sides of the ball, the first 10 minutes of almost every game we: 1) play base vanilla defense and give up points, 2) we run on 1st down every set of downs, maybe pick up a 1st down or two and punt, generally both possessions during that time period. As if the coaches haven't watched any film and don't know how to attack the opponent until we've played a quarter. I've never understood that. USC was a perfect example. Did nothing right on defense the entire 1st quarter and then stoned them for 2+ quarters. Makes no sense at all.

QB's (Levis and Leary) neither one showed any inkling of how to read a defense pre-snap and both too often locked onto a receiver. Neither showed any inclination of throwing over the middle or dumping to the backs when in trouble. Maybe that's on the player but I think it's at least as much on the QB coach (Coen and Scrang). As far as developing a QB, absolutely zero in that category for as long as I can remember, not just Stoops. Insane that we have no Plan B if QB1 gets dinged up. No other team in the country looks as unprepared as we do in this area.

Defense plays too tentative in the worst spots (3rd and long) and make no effort to create TFLs, sacks or hurries. Very cautious, plenty of cushion given by the CBs, rarely bring more than 4, rarely adjust when a team is exploiting a matchup (see Leggette, USC, vs Phillips on Saturday night). The NFL defenses want to force teams to make a 10+ play drive as it's very difficult to do at that level with pretty equal talent. Force a FG if you have to give up points. That doesn't work at the college level, especially if you're at a talent disadvantage (whether overall or a matchup).

OL is better this year but still a ways to go to get back to BBW days, which seem so long ago. The outside zone scheme may be part of the problem. The offensive scheme sure looks way too complicated for our guys to run effectively. We waste a ton of time in the huddle calling the plays, then waste time at the LOS as Eli calls out the blocking scheme and then shift and then motion and then we're at 2 seconds on the play clock. Every GD play. No urgency, no momentum, no making the defense tired or adjust to what we're doing. Just methodical, slow paced, boring ass offensive football. Iowa fans would be booing how boring we are on offense.

Overall player discipline is abysmal, whether it's assignment discipline (safety play has been criminally bad), keeping your poise (bonehead penalties almost every game), way too much trash talk for a team destined to finish .500 with zero quality wins, etc. That's got to get fixed right now. F*** NIL and prima donnas and transfer risks, etc. Play hard, play smart and do your job or sit your a$$ on the bench. If Stoops enforces this mentality, things will immediately improve.

As for coaches:
WR, S, DL should all probably be sent packing.
Jury is out on OL and DBs, imo.
Coen and White both need to step up their preparation, in-game playcalling, in-game adjustments and overall teaching the positions they coach personally or they should be sent packing. No excuse to be so predictable, flat, uninspired during the 1st quarter and first half of the 3rd quarter every game. We basically just show up for about 40% of the game time and then actually play the remainder. And that's working beautifully (sarcasm meter just pegged).

This is flat $$$

Good post OP!

I wonder if the problem in the secondary has more to do with youth than coaching. We play a lot of sophomores in the secondary. It may just be that lack of experience makes prone to mistakes. I don't really know either way, but it may not be coaching as much as youth.

Fabulous post. Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Good post.

On both sides of the ball, the first 10 minutes of almost every game we: 1) play base vanilla defense and give up points, 2) we run on 1st down every set of downs, maybe pick up a 1st down or two and punt, generally both possessions during that time period. As if the coaches haven't watched any film and don't know how to attack the opponent until we've played a quarter. I've never understood that. USC was a perfect example. Did nothing right on defense the entire 1st quarter and then stoned them for 2+ quarters. Makes no sense at all.

QB's (Levis and Leary) neither one showed any inkling of how to read a defense pre-snap and both too often locked onto a receiver. Neither showed any inclination of throwing over the middle or dumping to the backs when in trouble. Maybe that's on the player but I think it's at least as much on the QB coach (Coen and Scrang). As far as developing a QB, absolutely zero in that category for as long as I can remember, not just Stoops. Insane that we have no Plan B if QB1 gets dinged up. No other team in the country looks as unprepared as we do in this area.

Defense plays too tentative in the worst spots (3rd and long) and make no effort to create TFLs, sacks or hurries. Very cautious, plenty of cushion given by the CBs, rarely bring more than 4, rarely adjust when a team is exploiting a matchup (see Leggette, USC, vs Phillips on Saturday night). The NFL defenses want to force teams to make a 10+ play drive as it's very difficult to do at that level with pretty equal talent. Force a FG if you have to give up points. That doesn't work at the college level, especially if you're at a talent disadvantage (whether overall or a matchup).

OL is better this year but still a ways to go to get back to BBW days, which seem so long ago. The outside zone scheme may be part of the problem. The offensive scheme sure looks way too complicated for our guys to run effectively. We waste a ton of time in the huddle calling the plays, then waste time at the LOS as Eli calls out the blocking scheme and then shift and then motion and then we're at 2 seconds on the play clock. Every GD play. No urgency, no momentum, no making the defense tired or adjust to what we're doing. Just methodical, slow paced, boring ass offensive football. Iowa fans would be booing how boring we are on offense.

Overall player discipline is abysmal, whether it's assignment discipline (safety play has been criminally bad), keeping your poise (bonehead penalties almost every game), way too much trash talk for a team destined to finish .500 with zero quality wins, etc. That's got to get fixed right now. F*** NIL and prima donnas and transfer risks, etc. Play hard, play smart and do your job or sit your a$$ on the bench. If Stoops enforces this mentality, things will immediately improve.

As for coaches:
WR, S, DL should all probably be sent packing.
Jury is out on OL and DBs, imo.
Coen and White both need to step up their preparation, in-game playcalling, in-game adjustments and overall teaching the positions they coach personally or they should be sent packing. No excuse to be so predictable, flat, uninspired during the 1st quarter and first half of the 3rd quarter every game. We basically just show up for about 40% of the game time and then actually play the remainder. And that's working beautifully (sarcasm meter just pegged).
Another excellent post.

Pin this one to the top of the board!!!

Spot on with every point!!!
Oh yeah, so not neither one of you realize that the Australian kicking style has not been utilized at all this year? I could go into great detail why most things on this list are an over simplification at best but I am tired of explaining things ad nauseum, at least for now.

• Haha
Reactions: catben
Oh yeah, so not neither one of you realize that the Australian kicking style has not been utilized at all this year? I could go into great detail why most things on this list are an over simplification at best but I am tired of explaining things ad nauseum, at least for now.
The reason our “Australian kicking style” was NOT “utilized” this season is because our NEW Special Teams coach FORCED him to punt from a stationary position!!! He railed on how he didn’t like the Australian style. Saying this after we had a Ray Guy WINNER and All-American punter that was Australian!!

Now, you want to TRY and refute anything else or are you still tired????😁😁😁

I wonder if the problem in the secondary has more to do with youth than coaching. We play a lot of sophomores in the secondary. It may just be that lack of experience makes prone to mistakes. I don't really know either way, but it may not be coaching as much as youth.
Carrington Valentine played his Senior Year exactly like D Phillips is playing his Sophomore year.

Carrington Valentine is now starting CB for the GB Packers and considered one of the top young cover corners in the NFL.

That screams coaching/scheme to me. Our scheme against passing offenses is grade school level bad.

So are you capable of actually disputing something or is the smiley as articulate as you get? Have we employed the Australian kicking style this year or not? Do either one of you realize we lost pretty much the entire defensive backfield from last year? It was certainly a well known question mark going into the year. Not a big Yenser supporter but last year he had to rebuild from extensive loses on the line. They are improved over last year. I think at least some of their issues come from having to stay in set position position far too long most plays. I also think the play clock issues are giving the defense a good jump as they know when you have to snap or get penalized. I guess it is easier to just use the smiley and feel all smug for some of you than to actually make your point.

• Wow
Reactions: UKCatnNC and catben
The reason our “Australian kicking style” was NOT “utilized” this season is because our NEW Special Teams coach FORCED him to punt from a stationary position!!! He railed on how he didn’t like the Australian style. Saying this after we had a Ray Guy WINNER and All-American punter that was Australian!!

Now, you want to TRY and refute anything else or are you still tired????😁😁😁
WTF on you on about now? You are just backing my point and do not even realize it. he said it was time to end the Australian kicking thing when we already had. I say we go back to it myself.

Last edited:
So are you capable of actually disputing something or is the smiley as articulate as you get? Have we employed the Australian kicking style this year or not? Do either one of you realize we lost pretty much the entire defensive backfield from last year? It was certainly a well known question mark going into the year. Not a big Yenser supporter but last year he had to rebuild from extensive loses on the line. They are improved over last year. I think at least some of their issues come from having to stay in set position position far too long most plays. I also think the play clock issues are giving the defense a good jump as they know when you have to snap or get penalized. I guess it is easier to just use the smiley and feel all smug for some of you than to actually make your point.
We returned BOTH Safeties and they have been bad. One CB has been good the other not at all.

The interior of the O-Line has been decent in Pass Pro, but not in run blocking. That is partly scheme, but by game 11 we should be much better.

Leary and the WR’s have not been what was expected which is also on the coaches.

No smiley’s.😜😜

WTF on you on about now? You are just backing my point and do not even realize it. You say it was time to end the Australian kicking thing when we already had. I say we go back to it myself.
My point was if the NEW ST coach wants to change the style WHY not WAIT UNTIL you can bring in a TRADITIONAL punter instead of FORCING the Australian style punter to do something he NEVER has!!! Once again that is coaching.

I guess it has to be spelled out for you!!

I can't help feel that it is more the coaching than the youth; however, it is most likely a bit of both. GO CATS!!

We returned BOTH Safeties and they have been bad. One CB has been good the other not at all.

The interior of the O-Line has been decent in Pass Pro, but not in run blocking. That is partly scheme, but by game 11 we should be much better.

Leary and the WR’s have not been what was expected which is also on the coaches.

No smiley’s.😜😜
I do not disagree that there are plenty of issues needing addressed. Saying things like "discipline-there is none" is obviously hyperbolic and therefore not truly "spot on". The snarky comment about donating his salary to NIL is of course a total lack of understanding as to how that works if serious. Pretending like it is because Stoops is dumb or too old fashioned or doesn't care because of his contract is so over played I have gotten a bit salty about hearing it so much. I'm not so sure you can fairly pin Leary and the wr failures entirely on the coaching. I do personally think a replacement at wr coach would be a good thing. I think they could have altered some play calling and targets accordingly but at some point it is on the players to make plays. The db's are of course made to look worse due to our inability to get consistent pressure. Thanks for the legitimate response it is appreciated.

Last edited:
Time for Anwar Stewart to pack his bags. We need an aggressive d line coach who can teach. Not sure if our guys are progressing at all. We seem to do the same thing over and over. Maybe it’s just the bland conservative defense that Stoops makes White run, but we never get any pressure.

Time for Anwar Stewart to pack his bags. We need an aggressive d line coach who can teach. Not sure if our guys are progressing at all. We seem to do the same thing over and over. Maybe it’s just the bland conservative defense that Stoops makes White run, but we never get any pressure.
Maybe

We play a zone type of defense that gives WRs lots of cushion, but that only works if the QB gets pressure on him, which we never do.

Reactions: Justwantadecentteam
Good defensive tackles are like good offensive tackle....swooped up by perennial top 10 teams. Kentucky's attempts at the 3-4 multiple have proven....inconsistent. Allen's and Paschals don't come every year. Really need that edge that's able to step in and give those big game change moments. We have signed some guys that seemed to fit the mold, but it just hasn't played well.

I believe cms really believes in the bend don't break philosophy....but without pressure on the opposing QB it's not much benefit. I don't know if we do have personnel for the 4-3, but it would be a change.

SOMETHING seems off about player development. Maybe it's because opposing DCs have film, but our receivers are very disappointing. The QB slot....I don't know if we have had a good qb coach since Sanders.

The fact that the coaches seem almost desperate to find starters in the transfer portal also lends to lack of development. That didnt happen just overnight.

If we don't have someone that can fill in for a player that can't play within the rules and worry more about his team results than showboating, something's sidewats.

As far as coaching....
Our tight end coach is a recruiter, not a coach
Our reciever coach is looking for an OC slot
Both our line coaches have been less than stellar
Our DC has been given waaaaay too many props. See how many points true top 2p, top 15 teams hang on him. Even Vandy went for over 20.

Our head coach....he is gonna have to do some serious soul searching and make some mighty hard decisions.

Last edited:
Good defensive tackles are like good offensive tackle....swooped up by perennial top 10 teams. Kentucky's attempts at the 3-4 multiple have proven....inconsistent. Allen's and Paschals don't come every year. Really need that edge that's able to step in and give those big game change moments. We have signed some guys that seemed to fit the mold, but it just hasn't played well.

I believe cms really believes in the bend don't break philosophy....but without pressure on the opposing QB it's not much benefit. I don't know if we do have personnel for the 4-3, but it would be a change.

SOMETHING seems off about player development. Maybe it's because opposing DCs have film, but our receivers are very disappointing. The QB slot....I don't know if we have had a good qb coach since Sanders.

The fact that the coaches seem almost desperate to find starters in the transfer portal also lends to lack of development. That didnt happen just overnight.

If we don't have someone that can fill in for a player that can't play within the rules and worry more about his team results than showboating, something's sidewats.

As far as coaching....
Our tight end coach is a recruiter, not a coach
Our reciever coach is looking for an OC slot
Both our line coaches have been less than stellar
Our DC has been given waaaaay too many props. See how many points true top 2p, top 15 teams hang on him. Even Vandy went for over 20.

Our head coach....he is gonna have to do some serious soul searching and make some mighty hard decisions.
Our head coach is going have to do some soul searching by taking a real, long, hard look in the mirror before he makes any other of those hard decisions.

Changing staff is like changing diapers on the baby who continues to crap in their own diaper.

At some point he has to figure out who the real problem is and address that problem first.

WTF on you on about now? You are just backing my point and do not even realize it. he said it was time to end the Australian kicking thing when we already had. I say we go back to it myself.
I heard someone say or read that they quit rolling him out because Berry was down all last year with a back injury. He felt rolling out and kicking was hard on his back. Can’t remember where I read that tho.

Carrington Valentine played his Senior Year exactly like D Phillips is playing his Sophomore year.

Carrington Valentine is now starting CB for the GB Packers and considered one of the top young cover corners in the NFL.

That screams coaching/scheme to me. Our scheme against passing offenses is grade school level bad.

Pretty sure he left as a jr. His entire career he was crucified on this board. I am the only one that I recall pointing out he was a good player that was about to be very good.

He suffered the same issue some of our safeties suffer - he hunted interceptions instead of playing responsibilities. Valentine killed us the ut and vandy game.

Dru is fine. His biggest issue is Max on the other side. Max is very good, so teams target Dru and have success at it.

Jq really came along the last few games. Next year could be a big year for him. He has incredible physical attributes.

Nose is the most important position in a 3-4 and we had some great ones. Deon should be there now but they keep him at dt. Silver is doing well there

Reactions: cathouse
Next year we need hardaway to take the field CB spot snd Max is fine at boundary CB spot….and move Phillips to pure nickel to cover slot Wr. I think that will be our best formation at cornerback

Pretty sure he left as a jr. His entire career he was crucified on this board. I am the only one that I recall pointing out he was a good player that was about to be very good.

He suffered the same issue some of our safeties suffer - he hunted interceptions instead of playing responsibilities. Valentine killed us the ut and vandy game.

Dru is fine. His biggest issue is Max on the other side. Max is very good, so teams target Dru and have success at it.

Jq really came along the last few games. Next year could be a big year for him. He has incredible physical attributes.

Nose is the most important position in a 3-4 and we had some great ones. Deon should be there now but they keep him at dt. Silver is doing well there
Having Rogers still on the roster would have been nice.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Having Rogers still on the roster would have been nice.

Agree but only for depth. He didn't command a double team which is sad for a nose. Silver is much better. Hayes is noticably better too.

Rogers should've been a dt and walker a ng. Apparently neither wanted to switch so staff just left them where they were. Disservice to them and the team imo

Reactions: grevey35
And with a change here change to a base 4-3.

No smiley’s.😜😜

The safety play is so disappointing because those guys are so good but consistently missing assignments negates it all. I don't think it's coaching per se, but it's on the coaches when you keep playing guys that blow assignments

Imo Dru isn't that bad, he is just ok. He gets picked on because Max is so much better. Jq needs to step up and take that spot. Dru would be a very good nickel because he's very good in the run game.

Anwar is a good coach. The best? No but still very good. Our dl play improved when he showed up and has been high level ever since. People wrongly blame dl for lack of pass rush and some of the run gains. Most all of those are on the lbs. Weaver is not good. Wallace hasn't been the same since his injury.

Anwar is a good coach. The best? No but still very good. Our dl play improved when he showed up and has been high level ever since. People wrongly blame dl for lack of pass rush and some of the run gains. Most all of those are on the lbs. Weaver is not good. Wallace hasn't been the same since his injury.
JJ Weaver has been a bigger disappointment than the Safeties. His lack of discipline and ability to get off of blocks has made the secondary problems even worse. Was hoping to see MUCH MORE out of him and he just couldn't get it done.

Weaver struggles in coverage when the opposing offense floods his zone AND the QB can run. Knowing where you are supposed to be in EVERY situation is ALMOST as important as being a great athlete and sometimes he gets crossed up on that.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT