ADVERTISEMENT

Ron Mercer vs Justin Edwards

Yeah, I can remember radio callers complaining he shouldn't be starting.
And for the majority of the season, he didn’t. The way I remember it, at the beginning of the season Pitino wanted to get Ron Mercer in the starting lineup so he tried putting a square peg in a round hole by making Tony Delk the point guard. That team didn’t truly hit its stride until Epps replaced Mercer in the starting lineup and Delk slid back to the 2. That’s how I remember it at least.

Justin Edwards has a smooth running stride for his size.

Otherwise, he is utterly invisible. He has no playmaking ability and doesn't do any one thing particularly well.
You are absolutely right. It is an insult to Ron Mercer to have Edwards compared to him at any point in their careers. Ron wasn't on the court jacking up untimely shots all over the court. He wasn't getting blocked by the rim or mishandling easy passes that should have resulted in easy baskets. The poster describing Edwards running stride is analogous to describing a sprinter or a horse. What the heck does his running stride have to do with anything? It certainly is assisting him with scoring points or jumping.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I've thought he reminded me of Tayshaun Prince since he committed. Prince had the left handed shot and the aversion to contact just like Edwards. Prince didn't shoot well from 3 either his freshman or sophomore seasons, but came around obviously after that. Prince was behind Evans and Padgett his freshman year, but still got 20 MPG.
I kinda thought that at first also. However, Prince was a defensive menace - college and pro. Prince was also taller and longer. Much better shooter than JE.

And for the majority of the season, he didn’t. The way I remember it, at the beginning of the season Pitino wanted to get Ron Mercer in the starting lineup so he tried putting a square peg in a round hole by making Tony Delk the point guard. That team didn’t truly hit its stride until Epps replaced Mercer in the starting lineup and Delk slid back to the 2. That’s how I remember it at least.
Correct!

Reactions: STL_Cat
Terrance Jones is one of the best players to ever play at UK. Dude was a beast. Could stretch the floor too. But could also dunk on you like a true post center.
Must confess that I was guilty of under appreciating the guy then but when I go back to rewatch film, I couldn't agree with you more. There was so much talent around him it was easy to overlook his contributions at the time but he may have been the reason that team was so dominant. I honestly didn't see that guy coming because I was watching his teammates. Hope he is doing well these days.

I wou
As we all try to be patient with Edwards, was just recalling what a disappointing season Ron Mercer was having his freshman year before that NCAA tourney final.

Some flashes here and there but I remember him not living up to the hype for most of that season. Fortunately, that is one of the greatest UK teams of all time, and his production wasn’t needed most of the time.

And of course, it wasn’t some foregone conclusion that Mercer would be a one and done like JE. Mercer came back and had an excellent soph season.

I say all this to say that it took Mercer some time to get going, and there are some similarities in their games.

Fun fact: I believe Mercer is still the only player in NCAA history to only play two seasons of college ball but still play in 12 tourney games.
When Justin stops and shoots that pretty left hand mid range jumper reminds me a lot of jack goose givens that's who I would compare him too

Mercer wasn't disappointing at all in 1995-96. When you have McCarty and Antoine Walker at the forward spots and Tony Delk and Derek Anderson at the shooting guard spots, Mercer didn't have to contribute right away for UK to win. At this point of the season, I don't see any resemblance between the 2 players. I don't see any "alpha dog" mentality in Justin's game and that isn't something that you can coach into a player. Could he be possibly trying to get through the fact he has always controlled the ball on offense and trying to find his way when moving without the ball? Possibly, but I don't see a high basketball IQ and high motor considering the season started in July. Also, I've never seen a player at his size continually get blocked by the cylinder of the rim as he goes up for a dunk. Jury is still out on Edwards and hoping something clicks real soon.

Reactions: yoshukai
Hasn't this happened several times with our freshman stars? Some don't really get to clicking til mid conference play

Mercer was not close to Edwards if you are comparing just the freshman season. Mercers productivity doubled during his sophomore year.
Mercer was a better player than Edwards as a freshman, in my opinion. Edwards is just getting more minutes than Mercer did.

“Not close” is absolute crazy talk.

Tell me you came along during the Calipari era without telling me you just came along during the Calipari era.

Mercer was a better player than Edwards as a freshman, in my opinion. Edwards is just getting more minutes than Mercer did.

Tell me you came along during the Calipari era without telling me you just came along during the Calipari era.
I have been a dedicated UK fan since I was 7. Rupp was still the coach when I started. If you are picking Mercer just because he didnt play for Cal, then you are an idiot. Mercer was a great player, just not during his freshman season.

• Love
Reactions: LmdCat
I have been a dedicated UK fan since I was 7. Rupp was still the coach when I started. If you are picking Mercer just because he didnt play for Cal, then you are an idiot. Mercer was a great player, just not during his freshman season.
Has nothing to do with Cal. I’m picking Mercer as a better player as a freshman because I believe Mercer was a better player as a freshman. He just played 6 mpg less than Edwards and his numbers are slightly lower. But I believe all of his %s were higher. FG%, FT%, 3 point %.

Edwards still has time to flip my opinion. Go get 20 in the national championship game, that would help.

I think Mercer played a lot harder than JE does. May have been the Pitino effect, but it seemed like he was giving it 100% all the time even if he struggled some earlier in the season. Sometimes Edwards seems (to me) to just sort of go through the motions.
The difference is that RP didn't give players playing time just because of their high school greatness. A player either earned his playing time or his butt stayed on the bench.

It is likely the posters making this crazy comparison didn't actually see Ron play. They are simply looking at raw numbers without ever seeing him play. I never hated seeing the ball in Ron's hands as I do Edwards. When Edwards gets the ball it is a greater chance than not that he will take a bad shot.

Mercer was not close to Edwards if you are comparing just the freshman season. Mercers productivity doubled during his sophomore year.
What has Edwards done as a freshman? He is a train wreck who has been gifted a starting spot. It doesn't mean that he can't get better, but you are posting as if he has produced. At this point he isn't even playing at an average player level.

Last edited:
As we all try to be patient with Edwards, was just recalling what a disappointing season Ron Mercer was having his freshman year before that NCAA tourney final.

Some flashes here and there but I remember him not living up to the hype for most of that season. Fortunately, that is one of the greatest UK teams of all time, and his production wasn’t needed most of the time.

And of course, it wasn’t some foregone conclusion that Mercer would be a one and done like JE. Mercer came back and had an excellent soph season.

I say all this to say that it took Mercer some time to get going, and there are some similarities in their games.

Fun fact: I believe Mercer is still the only player in NCAA history to only play two seasons of college ball but still play in 12 tourney games.
Pitino’s decision to remove Mercer from the starting line-up and replace him with Derek Anderson was the very best thing that happened to the team and to Mercer in 1996.

Pitino’s decision to remove Mercer from the starting line-up and replace him with Derek Anderson was the very best thing that happened to the team and to Mercer in 1996.
It is a move that would never be done by Cal. Cal has too many promises that he has to follow through with no matter what.

Did I misremember? The way I remembered it, Pitino replaced Mercer in the starting lineup with Anthony Epps.

Mercer was a lot better than Edwards is at this time but Edwards is no Kahlil Whitney either. He has shown flashes but hasn't put it together yet. I thought he played his best game against UL with his 13 and 7. He's getting better but has been a disappointment considering some were saying he'd be a Top 5 pick. Maybe he's feeling the pressure to perform? If only it were like back in the day when you knew he'd be here a few years then the growing pains would be just fine at the moment.

Mercer was a lot better than Edwards is at this time but Edwards is no Kahlil Whitney either. He has shown flashes but hasn't put it together yet. I thought he played his best game against UL with his 13 and 7. He's getting better but has been a disappointment considering some were saying he'd be a Top 5 pick. Maybe he's feeling the pressure to perform? If only it were like back in the day when you knew he'd be here a few years then the growing pains would be just fine at the moment.
Any player who is consistently given starter minutes is likely to show some flashes of decent play. It certainly isn't like opposing teams are scheming to stop him. He is likely being guarded by opposing teams' worse defenders.

Has nothing to do with Cal. I’m picking Mercer as a better player as a freshman because I believe Mercer was a better player as a freshman. He just played 6 mpg less than Edwards and his numbers are slightly lower. But I believe all of his %s were higher. FG%, FT%, 3 point %.

Edwards still has time to flip my opinion. Go get 20 in the national championship game, that would help.
It really doesn't matter that much . I think I will give it a season before I can make a real comparison. Mercer was such a high level prospect, fans were expecting more from him as a freshman. It was a challenging time for him because he did play less than expected.

Any player who is consistently given starter minutes is likely to show some flashes of decent play. It certainly isn't like opposing teams are scheming to stop him. He is likely being guarded by opposing teams' worse defenders.
He's his own worst enemy at the moment. But I've seen progress even though it doesn't jump out. It's becoming harder to stay true in this microwave society.

It really doesn't matter that much . I think I will give it a season before I can make a real comparison. Mercer was such a high level prospect, fans were expecting more from him as a freshman. It was a challenging time for him because he did play less than expected.
UK was loaded with talent, so I don't know where you get the idea that there was a lot of pressure on him to play. During that period of college basketball, there was no one-and-done concept. It was extremely rare for a player to skip college or only play one year. So, there were typically a solid cast of older players who were more than capable of performing at a high level while younger players were developed.

Last edited:
He's his own worst enemy at the moment. But I've seen progress even though it doesn't jump out. It's becoming harder to stay true in this microwave society.
If he wasn't stealing minutes from a better player, I think most fans would be patient with his progression. If you are about team success as opposed to player success, you don't like the idea of a player getting starter minutes when it isn't earned.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
UK was loaded with talent, so I don't know where you get the idea that there was a lot of pressure on him to play. During that period of college basketball, there was no one-and-done concept. It was extremely rare for a player to skip college or only play one year.
There wasn’t a lot of pressure on Mercer to play his freshman season. That’s one of the biggest reasons he came to UK, so that he didn’t have pressure to produce at a high level immediately. However, he was better than Edwards his freshman season. No comparison.

A lot of these comparisons for Edwards would make sense if we had an inkling he’d be here for more than 1 season.

Sure, let’s say Prince as a freshman and he are congruent. Prince, however, stayed multiple years and grew into a star. Edwards being a so so player gets us nowhere and provides little return on investment since he is expected to leave after this season.

If he wasn't stealing minutes from a better player, I think most fans would be patient with his progression. If you are about team success as opposed to player success, you don't like the idea of a player getting starter minutes when it isn't earned.
Not disagreeing. I think Thiero is the better player right now.

I watched every game in 95-96 and every game this season. Seems like a no brainer to me that Mercer was far better.

Mercer was one of the fastest guys I've ever seen baseline to baseline. But you had to time him. He didn't look like he was running at all.

Did I misremember? The way I remembered it, Pitino replaced Mercer in the starting lineup with Anthony Epps.
You may be right, but I believe it was the 15th game of the season, against LSU in mid-January, when DA began starting and Mercer came in off the bench. I think Epps had been starting prior to that. Mercer seemed more relaxed coming off the bench and played much better, imho.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT