ADVERTISEMENT

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Nominees for 2018

CondorCat

Sophomore
Oct 22, 2010
Tucker, GA
There are 19 nominees this year and 5 will be selected for induction. You can vote on their website, although I'm not sure how much weight goes into the public voting. There's been a bit of controversy in the past over the actual selection process. I'm surprised some of these artists aren't already in the HOF:

Rock & Roll HOF Fan Voting

Bon Jovi
Kate Bush
The Cars
Depeche Mode
Dire Straits
Eurythmics
J. Geils Band
Judas Priest
LL Cool J
MC5
The Meters
Moody Blues
Radiohead
Rage Against the Machine
Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
Nina Simone
Sister Rosetta Tharpe
Link Wray
The Zombies

There are 19 nominees this year and 5 will be selected for induction. You can vote on their website, although I'm not sure how much weight goes into the public voting. There's been a bit of controversy in the past over the actual selection process. I'm surprised some of these artists aren't already in the HOF:

Bon Jovi
Kate Bush
The Cars
Depeche Mode
Dire Straits
Eurythmics
J. Geils Band
Judas Priest
LL Cool J
MC5
The Meters
Moody Blues
Radiohead
Rage Against the Machine
Nina Simone
Sister Rosetta Tharpe
Link Wray
The Zombies

Bon Jovi
The Cars
Moody Blues
Dire Straits
Radiohead

I’m the biggest Chaka Khan fan on the planet. Rufus ain’t HoF worthy tho.

MC5 should have been inducted years ago.

The Zombies? No. The Meters? Yes.

If criteria is predicated on album sales, Bon Jovi should get in. If it is based on the uniqueness, pushing the music further and some album sales, here is my list:

MC5
Cars
Moody Blues
Depeche Mode
Radiohead

Bon Jovi- mediocre band that has had staying power, lyrically bereft, filled a void waiting for the next phase of music, the Seattle sound.
Dire Straits- If it were Knopfler as an individual performer, count me in.
J Geils- great party band but covered too many songs to be considered original

If criteria is predicated on album sales, Bon Jovi should get in. If it is based on the uniqueness, pushing the music further and some album sales, here is my list:

MC5
Cars
Moody Blues
Depeche Mode
Radiohead

Bon Jovi- mediocre band that has had staying power, lyrically bereft, filled a void waiting for the next phase of music, the Seattle sound.

Bon Jovi is a really good song writer. That’s what he did, nothing too complex but still really good songs. He’s in the same vein but maybe lower level than Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, Elton John, etc.

My 3 near locks would seem to be:

Bon Jovi (biggest name on the list)
LL Cool J (big time hip hopper has made it every year)
Radiohead (trendiest name on the list)

My favorite band on the list is:

The Cars (kind of like Weezer nowadays nothing complicated but the songs are all ear candy)

Most overrated is:

Rage Against the Machine (innovative guitar sounds, but the songs are grating overall)

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnKBA
Bon Jovi's best song may be the first one I heard from them. I still say make them wait because they caved in on the Slippery When Wet album cover and didn't give us teenagers this.

SlipperyWhenWet.jpg

Runaway rocked -- quintessential 80s hair song and vid.

edit: I had forgotten John C. Reilly was Bon Jovi's original keyboardist.

Last edited:
How are Bon Jovi, Judas Priest, and The Moodys not in yet?

I'm not even a big fan of those bands but their mark on rock history is undeniable.

Bon Jovi is a really good song writer. That’s what he did, nothing too complex but still really good songs. He’s in the same vein but maybe lower level than Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, Elton John, etc.

My 3 near locks would seem to be:

Bon Jovi (biggest name on the list)
LL Cool J (big time hip hopper has made it every year)
Radiohead (trendiest name on the list)

My favorite band on the list is:

The Cars (kind of like Weezer nowadays nothing complicated but the songs are all ear candy)

Most overrated is:

Rage Against the Machine (innovative guitar sounds, but the songs are grating overall)

I concur with this take. I'd put Tom Morello in solo before I put Rage in.

MC5
Cars
Moody Blues
Depeche Mode
Radiohead

Lol at the Seattle sound. That's some high brow music right there. Much more sophisticated than Bon Jovi, GnR, Crue, etc. or not...

It's all preference. It was no better, no worse than 80's rock.

As far as Bon Jovi - you can hate their music but you can't deny their results. They deserve to be in there regardless of your prejudice against the genre.

I can't believe Dire Straits isn't already in. Same for Priest although I'm not a big fan.

Bon Jovi and Depeche Mode deserving also.

Priest
Dire Straits
Rage

That's my list. Throw in LL if you're adding a token hip hop artist.

I'll get killed for this, but in my opinion, Radiohead is the most overrated band in history. Bon Jovi could probably get in on 86-90 alone, but I was team GNR in the 80s so F Bon Jovi and Poison.

Bon Jovi
Kate Bush
The Cars
Depeche Mode
Dire Straits
Eurythmics
J. Geils Band
Judas Priest
LL Cool J
MC5
The Meters
Moody Blues
Radiohead
Rage Against the Machine
Nina Simone
Sister Rosetta Tharpe
Link Wray
The Zombies

According to my criteria...

Bon Jovi
The Cars
The Meters
MC5
Judas Priest

Who will probably get in...

Bon Jovi
LL Cool J
Radiohead
The Meters
Nina Simone

LL Cool J and Nina Simone are locks. The former because token rap artist. The later because of the current racial climate in the US and Nina's involvement in the Civil Rights movement.

Reactions: GhostVol
According to my criteria...

Bon Jovi
The Cars
The Meters
MC5
Judas Priest

Who will probably get in...

Bon Jovi
LL Cool J
Radiohead
The Meters
Nina Simone

LL Cool J and Nina Simone are locks. The former because token rap artist. The later because of the current racial climate in the US and Nina's involvement in the Civil Rights movement.
I get your point. But the black kid GhostVol says...”Kick out the jams, muthaeffers! Yeah, yeah, you gotta kick em out!”

MC5 should have been in years ago.

Radiohead is arguably the most important band of the last 30 years. They are an absolute lock. RATM were also hugely innovative and influential as well, and also put out the most intense live concert ever released (The Battle of Mexico City). Don’t really see a case for the rest, but I’m sure Bon Jovi’s b.s. will get in.

Radiohead is arguably the most important band of the last 30 years. They are an absolute lock. RATM were also hugely innovative and influential as well, and also put out the most intense live concert ever released (The Battle of Mexico City). Don’t really see a case for the rest, but I’m sure Bon Jovi’s b.s. will get in.

Love me some RATM. But they won't get in this round. Maybe next time.

Some of Radiohead's stuff is really good...some of it isn't. And they were/are an influential group. But "most important band of the last 30 years"? [laughing] I do however agree that they will get in this round.

Reactions: Kooky Kats

Bon Jovi
Kate Bush
The Cars
Depeche Mode
Dire Straits
Eurythmics
J. Geils Band
Judas Priest
LL Cool J
MC5
The Meters
Moody Blues
Radiohead
Rage Against the Machine
Nina Simone
Sister Rosetta Tharpe
Link Wray
The Zombies
No Doobie Brothers?...

Until they are in the HOF is a joke.

Ch9V1gpUYAAUKMR.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT