ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame class

How many heads will explode when Taylor Swift gets in?
TS getting in is a given and will happen in 20 years. At least with Swift, she writes and plays guitar and even if you think her songs are for Forever 21 types obsessed with finding that next boy to date, she's become an institution in music. She's probably been the most important woman, scratch that, the most important person in the music industry in the last decade and hell, she's helped make vinyl popular with teens.

My hope for someone like TS is that she drops the pop/47 costume changes a show stuff as she gets older and becomes more of a Norah Jones type.

Reactions: WildcatFan1982
"I actually think the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame is an utter, complete load of bollocks to be honest with you. It’s run by a bunch of sanctimonious bloody Americans who wouldn’t know rock n’ roll if it hit them in the face. They need to stop taking Prozac and start drinking f****** beer!” -- Bruce Dickinson

Two of the nine Maiden shows I've been to were at Blossom Music Center, which is practically right next door to the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame. We never even considered a visit. What a joke.

1331688961_uti_wall.jpg

It seems to me that a large number of artists are inducted mainly because they managed to hang around for 25+ years. Some of those mentioned above weren't ever really 'big' during their heyday but, somehow, hung around long enough to be HOF'ers. Similar to guys like Don Sutton in the baseball HOF except Sutton was a solid, well above average (although never 'THE guy') pitcher for much of his career. Some of the artists already inducted had maybe a couple of hits and enjoyed 15 minutes of fame but that's about it besides hanging around on the periphery for 2+ decades. I think that would include Huey Lewis and other mentioned here.

Take Boston, for instance. One of, if not THE, greatest debut albums in history. A few years between #1 and #2 album, which turned out to be a continuation of their first album without as many killer songs. Then a huge gap between #2 and #3, which was so-so. So, they get a HOF induction based off one unbelievable album and 25 years of pretty much nothing?

Never was a fan of Styx or REO but I did see Styx in concert about 15 years ago (corporate event so I didn't have to buy a ticket) and was kind of blown away at how many hits they had. Of their 20+ song setlist, I recognized at least 15 as being pretty big hits. Didn't love their music but hard to deny that it was all over the radio for a decade. At least as much as Boston (who I greatly prefer) with more hits and a longer period of time producing hits. I'm guessing, to a lesser extent, REO and Foreigner would be the same.

Not a metal fan at all so I can't comment on Megadeth, Pantera, Iron Maiden, et al.

As a metal guy, I think that genre is under represented in the HOF. Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Pantera, Megadeth and Slayer are all worthy of spots. I’d even be OK with some hair bands getting in.

It seems to me that a large number of artists are inducted mainly because they managed to hang around for 25+ years. Some of those mentioned above weren't ever really 'big' during their heyday but, somehow, hung around long enough to be HOF'ers. Similar to guys like Don Sutton in the baseball HOF except Sutton was a solid, well above average (although never 'THE guy') pitcher for much of his career. Some of the artists already inducted had maybe a couple of hits and enjoyed 15 minutes of fame but that's about it besides hanging around on the periphery for 2+ decades. I think that would include Huey Lewis and other mentioned here.

Take Boston, for instance. One of, if not THE, greatest debut albums in history. A few years between #1 and #2 album, which turned out to be a continuation of their first album without as many killer songs. Then a huge gap between #2 and #3, which was so-so. So, they get a HOF induction based off one unbelievable album and 25 years of pretty much nothing?

Never was a fan of Styx or REO but I did see Styx in concert about 15 years ago (corporate event so I didn't have to buy a ticket) and was kind of blown away at how many hits they had. Of their 20+ song setlist, I recognized at least 15 as being pretty big hits. Didn't love their music but hard to deny that it was all over the radio for a decade. At least as much as Boston (who I greatly prefer) with more hits and a longer period of time producing hits. I'm guessing, to a lesser extent, REO and Foreigner would be the same.

Not a metal fan at all so I can't comment on Megadeth, Pantera, Iron Maiden, et al.
Boston is not in the Rock Hall. Journey is the only one of those faceless AOR bands from that period that is in (Foreigner, Styx, REO, Kansas).

Boston is not in the Rock Hall. Journey is the only one of those faceless AOR bands from that period that is in (Foreigner, Styx, REO, Kansas).
Oh, I thought another poster said they were inducted already. My bad.

Saw Journey also at a corporate event and they played 15+ big hits in their set list. I wasn't a fan but you do have to give them some credit that they wrote a ton of hits, played their own instruments, to my knowledge never used backing tracks, etc.

Also Styx and Deep Purple
Wait, how was Deep Purple not inducted long ago. If you know Rock history, they are considered one of the most influential rock bands in history, and on the forefront of hard rock. How may interviews of great guitarist have I seen where they talk about Deep Purple as an influence.

Reactions: WTF Cat
Wait, how was Deep Purple not inducted long ago. If you know Rock history, they are considered one of the most influential rock bands in history, and on the forefront of hard rock. How may interviews of great guitarist have I seen where they talk about Deep Purple as an influence.
Smoke on the Water has probably been played in more guitar shops than any song in history.

Reactions: WildcatFan1982

They were inducted in 2016. Should have been earlier.

One thing I'll say about the HOF, while their selections continue to be questionable, this multi-page thread occurs every year and always leads to a good discussion. Music is the great unifier. And also shitting on the HOF.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
Journey and Foreigner are 2 of my favorite bands. They had lots of hits; but admittedly didn't do anything groundbreaking. Taylor Swift at some point will be the best selling artist ever. Not sure if she deserves it, but she is by far the best selling artist of the last 20 years.

Journey and Foreigner are 2 of my favorite bands. They had lots of hits; but admittedly didn't do anything groundbreaking. Taylor Swift at some point will be the best selling artist ever. Not sure if she deserves it, but she is by far the best selling artist of the last 20 years.
Sure, there's nothing groundbreaking about Journey, but I legitimately think they're iconic. The videos are cheesy and the songs sound overly emotional, but "Don't Stop Believin'" is the "Thunderstruck" or "Enter Sandman" of whatever the hell specific genre you want to put Journey in. Add "Only the Young" (which is on the Vision Quest soundtrack), "Separate Ways", "Faithfully", "Wheel in the Sky", and "Any Way You Want It" (which appears in one of the funniest scenes in Caddyshack) and yeah, Journey definitely belonged in the HOF.

Reactions: christophero
Infinity, Evolution and Escape were great albums. Journeys mistake was letting Steve Perry have too much control. As great a voice as he had all he wanted to do was sing sappy ballads. Those early albums were some great songs and musicianship.

Reactions: christophero
I like Rage Against the Machine, but putting them into the R&R HOF is ridiculous....
Of course, popular entertainment is primarily for idiots so, have at it.

Reactions: rudd1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT