ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees

WildcatFan1982

All-American
Dec 4, 2011
Clarksville, IN
These are the nominees on the ballot this year. These are not the inductees.

Mary J. Blige

· Mariah Carey

· Cher

· Dave Matthews Band

· Eric B. & Rakim

· Foreigner

· Peter Frampton

· Jane’s Addiction

· Kool & the Gang

· Lenny Kravitz

• Oasis

· Sinead O’Connor

· Ozzy Osbourne

· Sade

· A Tribe Called Quest

I’ll start to actually care when they correct the long list of snubs. These bands deserve to get in.

Thin Lizzy
Jethro Tull
J Geils Band
The Black Crowes
Johnny Winter
Grand Funk Railroad
Emerson, Lake and Palmer
Bad Company
Tommy James and the Shondells
Joe Cocker
Bachman Turner Overdrive
Blue Oyster Cult
Kansas
Robin Trower
George Thorogood and the Destroyers
The Guess Who

Last edited:
“I’m really happy we’re not there and I would never want to be there. If we’re ever inducted I will refuse – they won’t bloody be having my corpse in there.” -- Bruce Dickinson

'Nuff said.

“I’m really happy we’re not there and I would never want to be there. If we’re ever inducted I will refuse – they won’t bloody be having my corpse in there.” -- Bruce Dickinson

'Nuff said.
Is that THE Bruce Dickinson?

what kills me is that they use "Rock and Roll" for a catch all term. They put non rock artists in there but then say "they embody the spirit" or something similar. Which I can get behind. Willie Nelson sure isn't a rock artist but I'd consider him a "rock star"

but then you ask why someone like Frank Sinatra isn't in and you'll get some sort of "well he's not a rock act"

Chelsea Peretti Eye Roll GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Frampton is more sum of the parts, had some success in bands and solo, alone, neither are HOF worthy.
while not a DMB fan, his place is pretty solid. Still playing 25 years later to considerable crowds on his own.
Love songs from most of the bands mentioned, but catalog, short time at their best, not playing to huge crowds afterwards, and influence should leave them out.
I’d maybe argue ELP and Tommy James as more influential than most listed.
otherwise, slim pickings. Good, not great.

"Frampton Comes Alive" was the biggest selling album of all time (passed by Thriller iirc). I believe it's still the biggest selling live album of all time. He's probably sold more black Les Paul Customs than anyone, including Les Paul himself lol.

Gotta be in.

Reactions: hmt5000
Jann Wenner is no longer on the board so that should shift the direction of the nominees going forward. Guy screwed the pooch pretty bad and he was the center of a lot of thr controversy of who gets nominated

I’ll start to actually care when they correct the long list of snubs. These bands deserve to get in.

Thin Lizzy
Jethro Tull
J Geils Band
The Black Crowes
Johnny Winter
Grand Funk Railroad
Emerson, Lake and Palmer
Bad Company
Joe Cocker
Bachman Turner Overdrive
Blue Oyster Cult
Kansas
Great list. I still have LPs from all but Tommy James.

Bad loss tonight. Had to get that in.

Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
Kool and the Gang most deserving.
Celebration.
Jungle Boogie.
Hollywood Swinging.
Ladies Night
Get Down On It
And this art.

fxfafC.gif

I'm just waiting for heads to explode once more current acts get in like Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, Usher, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, etc. We're probably a few years away from seeing late 90's nominees like Korn, Limp Bizkit, and Linkin Park but they'll be there too. Meanwhile, bands like Motörhead, Maiden, and Thin Lizzy won't be.

Taylor swift will get in unless there is a gigantic scandal that ruins her. a few years ago I'd have guessed Justin Timberlake would get in but his career has sorta plateaued. If Linkin Park gets in it'll be because its Chesters birthday or something like that. The rest not so much. Well Usher too.

Thin Lizzy
Jethro Tull
J Geils Band
The Black Crowes
Johnny Winter
Grand Funk Railroad
Emerson, Lake and Palmer
Bad Company
Joe Cocker
Bachman Turner Overdrive
Blue Oyster Cult
Kansas
Oh crap... I'd agree. How the hell are most of those not already in? I've seen half those bands live. I took my mom to see Tommy James and the Shondells like 20 years ago and would have sworn they were already in back then. Saw BOC in Coyote's in Louisville would have sworn they were already in too.

Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
Taylor swift will get in unless there is a gigantic scandal that ruins her. a few years ago I'd have guessed Justin Timberlake would get in but his career has sorta plateaued. If Linkin Park gets in it'll be because its Chesters birthday or something like that. The rest not so much. Well Usher too.
I think it's to a point where if you had a "moment", you're at least a nominee. I think Kravitz is a cool dude but what'd he have, two hits, one of which was a cover? And he's a nominee. When society went from saying Britney Spears to just Britney and we all knew who that was, she became an icon like Madonna. If she's eventually in, I feel the two main boy bands will get in too. I was never big into LP. Their first single included Chester screaming "shut up" over and over like a little teenage boy bitch...but they kept going and somehow ended up with countless hits. Same with Korn. They helped create a new genre and they've been going for decades.

Always love when this topic comes up though because we get to talk about the last few decades of music, who's important, who deserves it and who doesn't deserve it.

Is it getting to a point where they are running out of nominees? A lot of greats not inducted but how many are really worthy of hall of fame status? Just doing the math.

Last edited:
I really stopped taking the hall serious when there were so many non-rock or non-blues artists being inducted, but it took so many years for The Doobie Brothers and Rush to be included. It’s a farce there are bands like Maiden and producers like Brian Eno that aren’t inducted.

Reactions: PhDcat2018
Pop acts from the rock era like the Motown artists make sense. But they turned a corner in recent years with Whitney Houston, Dolly Parton, Missy Elliott, etc. These artists and the opposite of rock. And now some of these latest nominees (Mariah Carey for example) had their biggest successes in what I would call the post-rock era, when pop music fans had no interest in or idea about rock music. I get that the Rock Hall is an ongoing business but they need to rethink their plan of annually inducting 5-6 acts.

Reactions: hmt5000 and K86
How many of those songs are Rock and Roll?
All em. Electric guitar. Bass. Drums. Driving backbeat. Some good cathartic screaming. Only people who would say otherwise is some ad exec at iHeart who's more worried about which radio station demographic hes selling sugarwater to. But man, if you're all hung up on being a good conformist and getting in the box corporate America tells you to, you won't ever understand what rock n roll is.

All em. Electric guitar. Bass. Drums. Driving backbeat. Some good cathartic screaming. Only people who would say otherwise is some ad exec at iHeart who's more worried about which radio station demographic hes selling sugarwater to. But man, if you're all hung up on being a good conformist and getting in the box corporate America tells you to, you won't ever understand what rock n roll is.

All I know is that this exchange has never, ever been spoken by fans of Rock music,,,

Rock fan # 1 - "I'm so excited! I'm going to a Rock concert this weekend"

Rock fan # 2 - "Oh, that's so awesome. Who you going to see?"

Rock fan # 1 - "Kool and the Gang"

Rock fan # 2 - "Im jealous! They're my favorite Rock band!"

Rock fan # 1 - "Yeah, they're my favorite Rock band, too!"

Last edited:
Reactions: dailydouble
Sinead O'Connor is a mortal lock to be inducted

But overall has become a joke. Even years ago I remember when the Mama's and Papa's got inducted. Some commentators asked why? They had about 3 hits in the mid-sixties. And that's what they're remembered for. Is that hall of fame material?

To me, sorta like making the baseball hall of fame for winning the batting title once.

Sinead O'Connor is a mortal lock to be inducted

But overall has become a joke. Even years ago I remember when the Mama's and Papa's got inducted. Some commentators asked why? They had about 3 hits in the mid-sixties. And that's what they're remembered for. Is that hall of fame material?

To me, sorta like making the baseball hall of fame for winning the batting title once.

For me it’s not even about the body of work. It’s about about admitting musical acts that are outside the rock n roll genre.

To me, sorta like Wayne Gretzky, Jerry Rice and Michael Jordan making the Baseball HOF.

If it's a true Rock and Roll HOF, then you're only letting in what, 150 bands/artists? Are you leaving Cash and Michael Jackson out? What about The Beatles because while rock evolved, they've been seen as pop for decades. Metallica and all metal would be left out, unless you want to induct 90s Metallica which was rock. Would Elton and many pop acts of the 1970s and 80s be out? Would hair metal be out or is it seen more as rock? Alice Cooper would be in but would Blondie be out? Bob Seger in, Bob Dylan out? The Cars in, Neil Young out?

I do agree that if Sinead O'Connor, Mariah Carey, and Cher are being suggested, then the plot is sort of lost and it's just a Music HOF. If that's the case (and it is) then sure, the floodgates will open. At some point, every HOF will be diluted. Still though, I'm not crazy about the "It's the ROCK AND ROLL HOF" argument. KSR's producer is a rock guy and loves 90s rock. He makes that argument every year. He also thinks rock has been dead for two decades and doesn't know who Ronnie James Dio is. If you think rock is stone cold dead, then who in the hell are you putting in every year lol?

Thin Lizzy
Jethro Tull
J Geils Band
The Black Crowes
Johnny Winter
Grand Funk Railroad
Emerson, Lake and Palmer
Bad Company
Joe Cocker
Bachman Turner Overdrive
Blue Oyster Cult
Kansas
Robin Trower
George Thorogood and the Destroyers
Agree . Especially Kansas

• Love
Reactions: K86
If it's a true Rock and Roll HOF, then you're only letting in what, 150 bands/artists? Are you leaving Cash and Michael Jackson out? What about The Beatles because while rock evolved, they've been seen as pop for decades. Metallica and all metal would be left out, unless you want to induct 90s Metallica which was rock. Would Elton and many pop acts of the 1970s and 80s be out? Would hair metal be out or is it seen more as rock? Alice Cooper would be in but would Blondie be out? Bob Seger in, Bob Dylan out? The Cars in, Neil Young out?

I do agree that if Sinead O'Connor, Mariah Carey, and Cher are being suggested, then the plot is sort of lost and it's just a Music HOF. If that's the case (and it is) then sure, the floodgates will open. At some point, every HOF will be diluted. Still though, I'm not crazy about the "It's the ROCK AND ROLL HOF" argument. KSR's producer is a rock guy and loves 90s rock. He makes that argument every year. He also thinks rock has been dead for two decades and doesn't know who Ronnie James Dio is. If you think rock is stone cold dead, then who in the hell are you putting in every year lol?
What universe do you live in where the Beatles, Neil Young, Metallica, etc are not rock music?

Oasis should be a lock. For about 5 years, they were perhaps the biggest band in the world and HUGE all over the world, except the US for some reason. Sold ~100 million albums, some massive hits. Definitely r'n'r music.

As others have said, several on the list should possibly be in the Music HOF but aren't rock by any definition.

Reactions: Steven1221
What universe do you live in where the Beatles, Neil Young, Metallica, etc are not rock music?
Um, if we're going to be technical, The Beatles were largely pop, Young is folk, and Metallica is metal. That's my point - those who say that it's the Rock and Roll HOF already don't mind other genres in, but in recent years it's become an issue for whatever reason. I love Neil Young but he ain't the definition of rock. Metallica is mostly metal and thrash. They sidetracked in the 90s to rock but they're not called Rocktallica. AC/DC and GNR are hard rock. The Beatles later stuff is more early rock but their early stuff, the stuff that drove young girls wild, is pop. Sabbath is metal, Zeppelin is rock, etc.

Should all those bands be in? Of course. But that's not a list of all rock bands or artists. Same with Bob Dylan. He deserves the honor if he's not already in...but he's a folk artist. It's a Music Hall of Fame and has been for quite a long time now.

Rock is a much broader umbrella than you think. Metal is not rock? Folk rock (Dylan, Young) is not rock? Who do you consider rock and roll artists if you don’t consider those (and the Beatles) to fit the bill?

Reactions: hmt5000 and K86
Rock is a much broader umbrella than you think. Metal is not rock? Folk rock (Dylan, Young) is not rock? Who do you consider rock and roll artists if you don’t consider those (and the Beatles) to fit the bill?
I agree with you. I'm speaking about folks who only see it as a simplistic Rock and Roll HOF when it's actually more than that. I don't have a problem with those artists included. Somehow one of my posts got misinterpreted into those bands not belonging or something. If the King of Pop and Madonna are in the Rock and Roll HOF, then guess what? Taylor Swift and Britney Spears will be in one day as well. I really don't have an issue with any of it at this point. I do see a lot of traditional rock fans complain on a yearly basis though. Most of what they say is valid but it hasn't been a Rock and Roll HOF for decades.

Um, if we're going to be technical, The Beatles were largely pop, Young is folk, and Metallica is metal. That's my point - those who say that it's the Rock and Roll HOF already don't mind other genres in, but in recent years it's become an issue for whatever reason. I love Neil Young but he ain't the definition of rock. Metallica is mostly metal and thrash. They sidetracked in the 90s to rock but they're not called Rocktallica. AC/DC and GNR are hard rock. The Beatles later stuff is more early rock but their early stuff, the stuff that drove young girls wild, is pop. Sabbath is metal, Zeppelin is rock, etc.

Should all those bands be in? Of course. But that's not a list of all rock bands or artists. Same with Bob Dylan. He deserves the honor if he's not already in...but he's a folk artist. It's a Music Hall of Fame and has been for quite a long time now.

Neil Young's most recognized song is Rockin in the Free World which is a legendary Rock N Roll Anthem and his Nickname is The Godfather of Grunge. Go take a Listen to Rust Never Sleeps or Live Rust and tell me he ain't Rock N Roll.

Reactions: WildcatFan1982
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT