ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Finalists

I'm fine if they want to include non-rock artists, but they really need to rename it The Music Hall of Fame or something.

Oh, and DMB sucks balls.

Saying DMB "sucks balls" shows you know nothing about music. Few bands in the history of rock are as musically talented as those guys are.

Reactions: funKYcat75
Is (was) Michael Jackson a rock artist? He had rock songs. Beat It, Bad (to a lesser extent), Dirty Diana: all prototypical rock songs. Is that Rock and Roll?
No, he was not a rock artist. Did he do a song or two in the style of rock? I couldn't tell you because I didn't listen to his music except the hits you couldn't avoid hearing. Having a song or two in a different style than you normally do wouldn't make you an artist in that style of music. I would suspect you can find multiple artists who have done occasional songs in different genres of music. I wouldn't think it's uncommon. If Willie Nelson does a motown song, he is still a country artist who did a motown song.

No, he was not a rock artist. Did he do a song or two in the style of rock? I couldn't tell you because I didn't listen to his music except the hits you couldn't avoid hearing. Having a song or two in a different style than you normally do wouldn't make you an artist in that style of music. I would suspect you can find multiple artists who have done occasional songs in different genres of music. I wouldn't think it's uncommon. If Willie Nelson does a motown song, he is still a country artist who did a motown song.
That's the crux of my point and our disagreement. They're artists. Everyone is too hung up on labels. There is no definition, there is no governing body. Rock and Roll has no definition. It was (is) a movement and a method of expression. JMO, of course.

Reactions: ymmot31
That's the crux of my point and our disagreement. They're artists. Everyone is too hung up on labels. There is no definition, there is no governing body. Rock and Roll has no definition. It was (is) a movement and a method of expression. JMO, of course.
I can respect that, even if I don't agree with it.

Reactions: CatOfDaVille
61E5bdJg_400x400.jpg

DMB is one of the most polarizing bands in history.

Pat Benatar
Dave Matthews Band
The Doobie Brothers
Motörhead
The Notorious B.I.G.
Soundgarden
T. Rex
Thin Lizzy
Whitney Houston
Depeche Mode (two previous noms)
Judas Priest (nominated for Class of 2018)
Kraftwerk (nominated five previous times)
MC5 (nominated four times before)
Nine Inch Nails (nominated two times before)
Rufus featuring Chaka Khan (three previous noms)
Todd Rundgren (nominated for Class of 2019).
The Smiths still getting the shaft? Travesty

Time for you kids to back off. Carlos Santana was on the cover of AARP magazine last month....Boomers Rule!! Enjoy what we gave you.

OT a bit but the Hall has also been justly criticized for inducting artists primarily famous for one or two big hits, e.g., Mamas and the Papas Monday Monday and California Dreaming

Simple criteria,
  • were they a best selling artist of their time for a sustained period (Benatar/Houston)
  • were they acknowledged as one of the best at what they did at the time (Soundgarden)
  • or did they move the needle/influence a generation.(Kraftwerk)

You could argue if Cheap Trick is in then the Doobies should be in.
Was Motorhead an influencer?
Was Priest run long enough or were they an influencer?
Matthews cult-like following is a tough one for me. Had a big hit, but did not push any boundaries musically but has the huge following.
Saw Dave Mathews Band a few years ago. We left early. An hour was all we could take

I like the fact that T Rex and Thin Lizzy are nominated. Both were big in the UK and Europe. The Rock Hall can't only be about US popularity/success.

I’ll take Motorhead, Soundgarden and Priest. Biggie was good, but not rock.

DMB is early 2000s frat guy rock. Everybody get out their Timberlands and Abercrombie!

Reactions: NXIVM Cat
One quick question to further clarify your point. Do the terms jazz, motown, R&B, blues, rap, country, blue grass, etc., have meaning or is it just rock and roll that you feel has no direct meaning. For me, rock and roll is another genre of music just like rap, jazz, etc.

Back in the day it used to bother me that "rock and roll" encompassed so many different kinds of music. Then I realized that "rock and roll" is anything that isn't something else.

I thought the rock and roll hall of fame was a pretty cool idea when I first heard about it. Then when I saw what it was, I haven't been too concerned.

Michael Buble will be in the rock and roll hall of fame in my lifetime.

Reactions: NXIVM Cat
I like the fact that T Rex and Thin Lizzy are nominated. Both were big in the UK and Europe. The Rock Hall can't only be about US popularity/success.

Agree. So why didn't Oasis make the cut? Surely more deserving than pretty much all the other nominees if you look at success as a barometer, although limited in the States.

if you want to go by record sales...

Rhianna
Eminem
Taylor Swift
Mariah Carey
Celine Dion
Drake
Ed Sheerhan
Barbara Streisand
Abba
Justin Bieber
Kanye West