ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees

Neil Young's most recognized song is Rockin in the Free World which is a legendary Rock N Roll Anthem and his Nickname is The Godfather of Grunge. Go take a Listen to Rust Never Sleeps or Live Rust and tell me he ain't Rock N Roll.

he has a lot of great folksy stuff but I’d consider him a rocker. Hope I can make it to Bourbon and Beyond because this may be the last chance I have to see him

There was a time I loved A Tribe Called Quest and Eric B and Rakim. Still listen to them from time to time but they aren't rock and roll.

No April Wine, no care...

LTMwNzEuanBlZw.jpeg

220px-The_Nature_of_the_Beast_%28April_Wine_album_cover%29.png

Two of the best rock albums I’ve ever owned!

I'm having Oasis in. Live Forever is one of the greatest rock songs ever. They played the biggest concerts in British history in the 90s. They won't make it because corporate America like the RHoF hates them.

Reactions: gamecockcat
If it's a true Rock and Roll HOF, then you're only letting in what, 150 bands/artists? Are you leaving Cash and Michael Jackson out? What about The Beatles because while rock evolved, they've been seen as pop for decades. Metallica and all metal would be left out, unless you want to induct 90s Metallica which was rock. Would Elton and many pop acts of the 1970s and 80s be out? Would hair metal be out or is it seen more as rock? Alice Cooper would be in but would Blondie be out? Bob Seger in, Bob Dylan out? The Cars in, Neil Young out?

I do agree that if Sinead O'Connor, Mariah Carey, and Cher are being suggested, then the plot is sort of lost and it's just a Music HOF. If that's the case (and it is) then sure, the floodgates will open. At some point, every HOF will be diluted. Still though, I'm not crazy about the "It's the ROCK AND ROLL HOF" argument. KSR's producer is a rock guy and loves 90s rock. He makes that argument every year. He also thinks rock has been dead for two decades and doesn't know who Ronnie James Dio is. If you think rock is stone cold dead, then who in the hell are you putting in every year lol?
I think you are over complicating it. If it was played on rock radio stations, it's rock and roll. Most of the bands like Metallica were played on rock radio stations and are considered rock acts. The same goes for Elton John, Beatles, Blondie, cars, etc. Rock has evolved over time and there are different genres that fit within the label of rock and roll. Southern rock for example has been claimed as country in some respects, but the Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynrd, Marshall Tucker, etc., were, and still are played on rock radio stations. They are rock and roll acts. You will never hear Micheal Jackson, Johnny Cash, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, etc., on a rock radio station.

Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
I'm having Oasis in. Live Forever is one of the greatest rock songs ever. They played the biggest concerts in British history in the 90s. They won't make it because corporate America like the RHoF hates them.
Totally agree. Odd that they never came close to being as big in the US as they were in UK, Europe, S. American, Far East. I could pretty quickly list about 15-20 songs of theirs that would be an awesome concert with one great song followed by another.

At least in my opinion, it's funny to hear Noel's solo music which is more sophisticated and better constructed but it's too smart by half, i.e., technically interesting but not very good. The best Oasis songs that were basically 4 chords (some nicked from other songs, of course) were kick ass, imo. Somewhere along the line, he decided he wanted to be a real, respected 'songwriter' and forgot how damn good a 3 or 4 chord song can sound when blasted through a Marshall amp.

Would be fun to see Liam and Noel get into a big ass fist fight at the induction ceremony, too, although I doubt they're ever within 5 miles of each other nowadays. If they ever decide to tour as Oasis again, the amount of money that would be thrown at them would be astronomical (not Taylor Swift money, of course, but > several 100 million, for sure).

Reactions: hmt5000
I look at is as a music HOF. I also would argue that rap is closer to rock than pop. Rap has that same rebellious spirit as early rock, and many artists used live strings, horns, keys and drums to produce rap songs.

I would like to see the following get in sooner rather than later:
Iron Maiden
Motorhead
Thin Lizzy
Megadeth
Slayer
Pantera
Outkast
Too $hort

No April Wine, no care...

Since you mentioned the band April Wine, I had to go dig out my CDs and give them a listen. Great stuff! And since I’m a music junkie and obsessed with the topic, I started looking stuff up about the band. Didn’t take too long before I read that the April Wine frontman, Myles Goodwyn, passed away just two months ago.

A couple years ago he was posting regularly on one of the Blues-related FB pages I follow. He was very knowledgeable and down to earth. And a super talent.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myles_Goodwyn

Reactions: K86
Damn, I didn't know Myles had passed... Sucks they couldn't have gotten in the Hall before that happened. I don't understand why they're not in...

Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
Totally agree. Odd that they never came close to being as big in the US as they were in UK, Europe, S. American, Far East. I could pretty quickly list about 15-20 songs of theirs that would be an awesome concert with one great song followed by another.

At least in my opinion, it's funny to hear Noel's solo music which is more sophisticated and better constructed but it's too smart by half, i.e., technically interesting but not very good. The best Oasis songs that were basically 4 chords (some nicked from other songs, of course) were kick ass, imo. Somewhere along the line, he decided he wanted to be a real, respected 'songwriter' and forgot how damn good a 3 or 4 chord song can sound when blasted through a Marshall amp.

Would be fun to see Liam and Noel get into a big ass fist fight at the induction ceremony, too, although I doubt they're ever within 5 miles of each other nowadays. If they ever decide to tour as Oasis again, the amount of money that would be thrown at them would be astronomical (not Taylor Swift money, of course, but > several 100 million,

A lot of Oasis best songs were B Sides. Tunes like Acquiesce, The Masterplan, Listen Up, Going Nowhere, Its Good to Be Free, Half the World Away as good or better than their big hits. Shame US media still thinks of them as some Beatles cover band.

^You're right about the B sides. Acquiescence is one of my favorites of theirs. They made no bones about being influenced by the Beatles, Stones, Kinks, etc. - not sure that's a black mark in my book, you know? Don't know why they were sort of dismissed in the US market (sold albums and Wonderwall was a hit here, too, but never reached the fever pitch of fandom that they enjoyed in other countries).

Oh man, cannot wait to hear all of those Sinnead O’Connor hits played again during the show! Been toooooo long! Maybe, there will be a Family reunion!!

People be singing along and the Suicide Hotline number be scrolling at the bottom of the screen for all of the rock stars left out!

Gonna be!! Gonna be!!!

Oh man, cannot wait to hear all of those Sinnead O’Connor hits played again during the show! Been toooooo long! Maybe, there will be a Family reunion!!

People be singing along and the Suicide Hotline number be scrolling at the bottom of the screen for all of the rock stars left out!

Gonna be!! Gonna be!!!
I know you're trying to be funny but honestly almost all of her famous songs were all from her 1st album, althoughshe recorded a number of other albums. At least that that's the way I remember it.

But, because she recently passed away tragically, I still think she is a lock to get inducted.

R&R HOF took a nose dive with some of their selections a few years back and they can't recover. Much like when Rolling Stone adopted their extreme left stance and is essentially irrelevant these days when it comes to "music".

Awesome reasoning.
You are apparently not understanding me, I am not saying she deserves to be in, really only had one hit album > 30 years ago, what I am saying she WILL get inducted for the reasons previously stated. Make sense?

You are apparently not understanding me, I am not saying she deserves to be in, really only had one hit album > 30 years ago, what I am saying she WILL get inducted for the reasons previously stated. Make sense?
I did not say I disagreed with you. Nor did I say it was your reasoning.

If it's a true Rock and Roll HOF, then you're only letting in what, 150 bands/artists? Are you leaving Cash and Michael Jackson out? What about The Beatles because while rock evolved, they've been seen as pop for decades. Metallica and all metal would be left out, unless you want to induct 90s Metallica which was rock. Would Elton and many pop acts of the 1970s and 80s be out? Would hair metal be out or is it seen more as rock? Alice Cooper would be in but would Blondie be out? Bob Seger in, Bob Dylan out? The Cars in, Neil Young out?

I do agree that if Sinead O'Connor, Mariah Carey, and Cher are being suggested, then the plot is sort of lost and it's just a Music HOF. If that's the case (and it is) then sure, the floodgates will open. At some point, every HOF will be diluted. Still though, I'm not crazy about the "It's the ROCK AND ROLL HOF" argument. KSR's producer is a rock guy and loves 90s rock. He makes that argument every year. He also thinks rock has been dead for two decades and doesn't know who Ronnie James Dio is. If you think rock is stone cold dead, then who in the hell are you putting in every year lol?
Eddie VanHalen played guitar on a Michael Jackson album... Michael also did a duet with Paul Mccartney....
Cash covered Hurt... I agree on the Mariah type of stuff but those 2 were horrible examples. LOL.

Just re-name it the music HOF and let every mediocre "artist" in.
I heard a guy say that music has been just generic 'meh' since around 2005. You go back and look at the music since the 50's and you see a few different styles emerge and change and a new thing pop up to claim the top spot. Look at the music in the 60's. Rock, hard rock, folk all took off as a new version of older stuff. 70's you had disco (unfortunately) blow up while there was also really good rock and motown music. Grunge and rap got popular during my youth. What new music 'form' has popped up the last 20 years? It's all just a more generic version of stuff someone else already did.

Music is not nearly as important culturally as it used to be. In the 60s and 70s, rock music was central to, and maybe the most important part of, youth culture. In the 80s that was true of MTV. Maybe hip hop right after that. But today music is just one of several components to youth culture. A person who unwraps toys on Youtube has as much chance of being a megastar as a musician.

I heard a guy say that music has been just generic 'meh' since around 2005. You go back and look at the music since the 50's and you see a few different styles emerge and change and a new thing pop up to claim the top spot. Look at the music in the 60's. Rock, hard rock, folk all took off as a new version of older stuff. 70's you had disco (unfortunately) blow up while there was also really good rock and motown music. Grunge and rap got popular during my youth. What new music 'form' has popped up the last 20 years? It's all just a more generic version of stuff someone else already did.
Gotta add punk and southern rock to the 70s.

Reactions: gamecockcat and K86
You have to remember that pretty much all new music that came out in the early and mid 60s was classified as 'pop', i.e., popular music. We've since divided popular music into a million different subgenres. If the Beatles came out today, they wouldn't most likely be classified in the same subcategory as the Stones and the Who. In the 60s, they were all pop. Other British Invasion groups like Gerry and the Pacemakers, Herman's Hermits, etc. were lumped in with Stones, Who, Animals, Kinks and, to our more modern ears, they have very little in common. I mean, some of the artists in the RnR HOF who came out in the 60s would certainly not be classified as RnR now - Mamas and the Papas (folk), Joni Mitchell (folk), Neil Diamond (pop rock), et al. There just weren't the subcategories back then. It was all 'pop' or 'rock' even though, to our ears, there is a lot of difference between Cher and the Stooges.

Change the name to Music (or Pop Music) HOF and it would be more accurate. Then, Willie Nelson, Cher and the Beatles could peacefully reside together.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT