ADVERTISEMENT

Rex "I took a pay cut to leave school"

Is anyone honestly surprised by this?

It happens at every major sports program in the country.

Reactions: G-PIP
Claims he was offered $700,000. In the 80s? You sure about that?
Well, first, I was making money in college. They were giving — I was being paid in college under the table, so I had some money. That's part of how I got to UK, so yeah. As much as I needed. Yeah, as much as I ever needed I could go — I knew where to go to get it. Many times it was just given to me, but. Yeah, boosters — boosters, yeah. And before I left — before I left I was offered $700,000 to stay another year at Kentucky. This is in the '80s. Right, in the '80s," Chapman said.

Are none of you familiar with UK basketball in the 70s and 80s? Hell yeah UK boosters were funneling cash to players big time. Are you all that naive? What do you think resulted in the second most harshest punishment handed down by the NCAA of all time?

Reactions: TheBlueDisciple
I know what goes on in college athletics. No team is pure. The heroes like K and Saban were dirty.

But no way were boosters offering $700K to Rex Chapman. 😂 That high amount would be hard to get even as a Heisman winner.

Is there no way to officially excommunicate this shameless attention whore from the UK community?

Please, someone, just make Rex go away.
UK will do you one better. They’ll allow him to be on the radio and tv before games after literally shitting on the program

Are none of you familiar with UK basketball in the 70s and 80s? Hell yeah UK boosters were funneling cash to players big time. Are you all that naive? What do you think resulted in the second most harshest punishment handed down by the NCAA of all time?
I'm in the camp UK was cheating to keep up with UCLA and Sam Gilbert on the recruiting trail. North Carolina too.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
I don't think anyone is claiming UK was clean in the 80s, but Rex's newest claims are absurd when placed in proper historical perspective.

Remember, this was the 80s. An era when mere "100 dollar handshakes" were considered wildly scandalous. When the discovery of a package containing 50 twenty dollar bills sent to Chris Mills was once the nation's biggest sports scandal. An era when even high first round NBA draft picks only made a few hundred thousand dollars. Yet Rex says boosters were eager to illegally sneak him nearly three-quarters of a million for one season? Bullshit.

And even if true, what's the point of making it an issue now? Nothing other that bringing the attention whore more attention and making UK look bad nearly four decades later. Screw that guy.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is claiming that UK was clean in the 80s, but Rex's newest claims are absurd when placed in proper historical perspective.

Remember, this was the 1980s. An era when mere "100 dollar handshakes" were considered wildly scandalous. When the discovery of a package containing 50 twenty dollar bills sent to Chris Mills totally shook the college sports world. An era when even high first round NBA draft picks only made a few hundred thousand dollars per year. Yet Rex claims boosters were eager to illegally sneak him nearly three-quarters of a million for one season?" Bullshit.

And even if it were true, what's the point of making it an issue now? Nothing other that bringing the attention whore more attention and making UK look bad nearly a half-century later. Screw that guy.
I just want to know which booster was paying Rex Chapman 1.3 MILLION dollars in today's cash. Are we sure Rex is sober?

Reactions: oldfanofuk
Conor Mcgregor Tuf Redemption GIF by UFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT