ADVERTISEMENT

Former players attending tomorrow’s press conference?

Imafan4evr_

Junior
Jul 31, 2004

Pretty cool to see multiple generations of players showing their support online for Pope. Chapman says he’s coming tomorrow. I’m picturing he will be one of many. This type of environment hasn’t existed in a long time. For many years, it almost felt as though if you weren’t a ‘Cal guy’, you were nothing, at least from an observer’s view. The past and present coming together finally, long overdue.

(Everyone has opinions on Rex, but hoping we can keep our momentum positive here.)

I'm hoping Cal's former guys start to soften a bit on this transition of power the same Wall has publicly done.

We're going to need a united front going forward.
Ashton Haggins was making fun of the hire on Twitter. I know Cousins had a misunderstanding with Rondo. Lamb said something stupid. Anyone else of Cal's guy say anything? I heard Towns has been gracious.

Ashton Haggins was making fun of the hire on Twitter. I know Cousins had a misunderstanding with Rondo. Lamb said something stupid. Anyone else of Cal's guy say anything? I heard Towns has been gracious.

I’ll never find it now that I need a source, but someone had screenshots on Twitter earlier of some comments by Pat Patterson asking why we replaced Cal with someone that hadn’t won a tournament game (as if we fired Cal anyway). I was particularly disappointed by that one because he was such a fan favorite and to be honest, I never truly thought of him as a Cal guy, just a Kentucky guy.

I'm hoping Cal's former guys start to soften a bit on this transition of power the same Wall has publicly done.

Agreed. I think we all need to relax with any vitriol toward Cal going forward and focus on the good times, while being thankful he's gone. I wouldn't want to do ANYTHING to make Ellen Calipari feel bad or sad ... she's a class act who has to live with him. The beating he takes should be on the court.

Would love to see most of the 96 cats there. We know Jeff & Cameron will be there. Would love to see Ron Mercer, Tony Delk, Antoine Walker, Wayne Turner, Allen Edwards, Nazr Mohommad, Derek Anderson, Anthony Epps, Walter McCarty.

Would love to see some of Tubby's guys too like Rondo, Tayshaun Prince, Chuck Hayes, Kelenna Azubuike.

Patrick Patterson yapping on the official UK basketball Instagram post welcoming Pope about why we would get rid of a guy who has struggled in the tourney for a bit for someone that has never won a tourney game. If he feels that way, so be it, no need to put it out on the basketball Instagram page.

Would love to see most of the 96 cats there. We know Jeff & Cameron will be there. Would love to see Ron Mercer, Tony Delk, Antoine Walker, Wayne Turner, Allen Edwards, Nazr Mohommad, Derek Anderson, Anthony Epps, Walter McCarty.

Would love to see some of Tubby's guys too like Rondo, Tayshaun Prince, Chuck Hayes, Kelenna Azubuike.
Chuck Hayes did like the hire.

Hagans is a prime example of the kind of players I am ready to move on from. They don't appreciate the tradition of Kentucky Basketball and left here on a bad note. I don't understand why it has to be so divided that they can't support their alma mater and their former coach in Calipari. Can't stand the division of society these days where everything must be black or white, no middle ground at all.

On one hand I admire these guys for standing behind “their coach”…but at the same time, you also have to look at things from an honest perspective…and no matter what happens with Coach Pope (and I think he will KILL it here)…the last four years has shown at the bare minimum Cal checked out..

I’ll never find it now that I need a source, but someone had screenshots on Twitter earlier of some comments by Pat Patterson asking why we replaced Cal with someone that hadn’t won a tournament game (as if we fired Cal anyway). I was particularly disappointed by that one because he was such a fan favorite and to be honest, I never truly thought of him as a Cal guy, just a Kentucky guy.
He had the exact same reaction as Kentucky fans. It was a shock hire.

It's a sentiment both media and fans have. Patterson is still right. Dude hasn't won anything of importance but that doesn't mean he never will.

Reactions: KailuaCat
... let's give them time as many will still be drinking the Kal-aid. Once Cal falls on his face at Arkansas that association doesn't look quite as sexy and UK is rolling again, those former Cal players will seek out the association with UK and we will welcome them with open arms. That's why BBN needs to be hospitable towards Cal going forward. Pound his teams on the court but be gracious to him and Ellen otherwise.

Hagans sure as hell has no room to make fun. He just missed another layup as I posted this. Shit the bed against Auburn.

I really hope someone from UK reached out to Wall and gave home a personal invite to attend tomorrow. He has the knowledge and cred to kind of help bridge the Cal era guys into this new UK era.

If the University leaves Pope dangling in the wind, it will be irreparable damage to its reputation.

Fine. When we start succeeding don’t come around. We don’t need nor want bandwagon alumni.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Very few of Cals players gave a crap about the history and tradition of UK basketball. They were about getting to the NBA. I don't really care if they ever come back. Enjoy counting your money.
Ditto, Cals players was always about themselves. Instead of worrying about generational poverty he should have given these fuc% s lessons in manners.

Reactions: RaginRondo
Hagans is a prime example of the kind of players I am ready to move on from. They don't appreciate the tradition of Kentucky Basketball and left here on a bad note. I don't understand why it has to be so divided that they can't support their alma mater and their former coach in Calipari. Can't stand the division of society these days where everything must be black or white, no middle ground at all.

Bingo. Ashton Hagans as far as I’m concerned was lucky to even get to wear the jersey. He’s 100% the type of player that would have ended up at Kansas and should have.

Some of the Calipari guys are brain dead and useless anyway. Ashton Hagans please never step foot at our campus in the future. Don’t need you, don’t want you, and I wish I could go back and have his scholarship ripped up. The guy was a punk when he played here and he’s a loud moth punk now.

Are any of these guys playing? If not, it's a free country and everyone has the right to be wrong!

He won a Championship as a player. That’s something that Cal, Haggins, Patterson and many others didn’t do. As a coach this past season he beat Kansas, Baylor, NC State, Texas, Kansas State and Iowa State.
Exactly. He was a captain on arguably the greatest UK team in history. Then went on to play under Larry Bird, George Karl, and Rick Carlisle. It’s safe to assume he’s not lacking in knowledge of the game and knows firsthand what it takes to be successful.

It’s fascinating how Cal’s former players make him out to be a victim. What premier franchise in any sport with a storied past would tolerate four consecutive seasons totaling a 0.575 winning percentage, one tournament win, arguably the biggest tournament upsets in their history, and zero conference championships (one win)? Hell, the AD went on television to support him for another season after all of that. Then, a few days later Cal is back channeling for the Arkansas job. But, he’s the victim and we got rid of him 🤦‍♂️. BS! If this were the Lakers, Celtics, Cowboys, Yankees, Kansas, UCLA, and so on, he wouldn’t have made it performing like that for four consecutive years. He had a long leash here.

Last edited:
Agreed. I think we all need to relax with any vitriol toward Cal going forward and focus on the good times, while being thankful he's gone. I wouldn't want to do ANYTHING to make Ellen Calipari feel bad or sad ... she's a class act who has to live with him. The beating he takes should be on the court.

This. I loathe cal but it's our best interest to keep things as amicable as we can. Otherwise it will absolutely alienate his entire group.

Patrick Patterson yapping on the official UK basketball Instagram post welcoming Pope about why we would get rid of a guy who has struggled in the tourney for a bit for someone that has never won a tourney game. If he feels that way, so be it, no need to put it out on the basketball Instagram page.
that is the same thing a large number of our wonderful fans are asking on this board. are you on their ass too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT