ADVERTISEMENT

Reeves disappears in big games

There’s a large enough sample size now to call a spade a spade. @ Arky and Providence last year were the only big games he has been good. Hope I eat my words by the end of the second half but I’ll be surprised.
He just had not proved to be a clutch player at this time. Maybe he will wake up in the second half

• Angry
Reactions: HenryMuto
Some of our guys pass the ball like there are only Kentucky players on the court.

Reactions: crestcat
Yep Reeves disappearing in games we need him in all the time is nuts! Seems like he only does well when we are better then the other team. The way he is then he will have 30 points next week against UL but disappear in the next big game we have. There has to be a way to help him in these games get open and get rolling.

• Angry
Reactions: HenryMuto
They need to get him working with a sports psychologist. This is clearly a thing for him. Coaches need to work with him to fix it.

Reactions: Fox2monk
He struggles to get his own against quality competition. Cal's system does him no favors.
Cal’s system is fine right now. He just needs to either get in position for a shot or someone needs to find him. No system will help him drive and finish if he’s not capable of it, he’s just not even aggressive in some of these games.

Reactions: chroix
He actually played well in the second half. He was just ice cold in the first half.

Still finished with 9pts and 4rbs… 1asst, 1blk, 1stl. He wasn’t the complete no show like some are acting
Not ice cold, he only attempted a couple shots in 1st half.

But difference is this year if he’s not “on” we have other options. Last year we needed him to always be “on”, and he felt that pressure so would keep putting them up.

They need to get him working with a sports psychologist. This is clearly a thing for him. Coaches need to work with him to fix it.
It weird because it Illinois state when they played a big team he often led them in scoring. He can do it, he just goes ice cold only shooting 3’s, or he can’t or doesn’t drive and use his floater to success like usual.

It weird because it Illinois state when they played a big team he often led them in scoring. He can do it, he just goes ice cold only shooting 3’s, or he can’t or doesn’t drive and use his floater to success like usual.

I don’t get it. Kid plays like a cold blooded killer every game except for the big ones.

I don’t get it. Kid plays like a cold blooded killer every game except for the big ones.
Maybe he gets too amped up or places too much pressure on himself. I’d love to see him go off for about 30 one time to see if that makes him believe. Arkansas was amazing last year.

I would rather have him have a decent quiet game than jacking up 3's when he's not hitting them. He is having a better overall season so far. I'll take some quiet games as long as he's contributing in other ways.

Agreed. And he did have a solid second half. Got a clutch bucket with about 3:00 to go. We come up empty on that possession and the outcome might have been different. Props to him.

Not ice cold, he only attempted a couple shots in 1st half.

But difference is this year if he’s not “on” we have other options. Last year we needed him to always be “on”, and he felt that pressure so would keep putting them up.
Facts. Poor choice of words on my part. The point is, the ppl saying he’s a no show are over exaggerating. He picked his spots and didn’t force anything outside the flow of the offense. Ended with a decent statline and hit a big pull-up late in the game and got to the ft line on critical possessions

Reactions: bigbluedon and awf
This year he (& Cal) knows he doesn't have to always be "the guy" making 3's, we have other guys who can and will.

But this thread made me wonder how has he played in "big games"?
Last year:
5 Mich St
10 Gonzaga
11 Michigan
6 UCLA
20 Bama
18 UT
23 TAMU
10 KU
11 Ark
8 UT
21 Auburn
37 Ark
22 Prov
5 KSU
That is a median of 11, so significantly lower than his average.

This year:
24 KU
18 Miami
9 UNC
18 Florida
Much better.

Reactions: TODASAURUS
Posted this in another thread where people were trashing his performance.

The continuous trashing of Reeves makes some look so stupid. Reeves has had two bad games in big spots at UK. It really stands out that he struggled against KSU last season. He also struggled against UL last year. But, looking at his time at UK against any ranked team, UL, away SEC games and NcAA tournament games, which I would consider the big games, Reeves is averaging 16.7 pts and 2.7 rebounds. In a good number of those last season he wasn’t getting starters minutes. This season he is averaging exactly 20 PPG in those same contests to go along with just under 5 rebounds. That doesn’t look so bad to me.

Reactions: dl51344
He’s been really good this year, only one game I recall he kept shooting 3’s when he shouldn’t have.
Kansas game. Took 17 and they weren’t falling. Early on though before he knew what he really had with his teammates and their ability to come through. Doubtful we see another performance from him like that. When his shots aren’t falling he will find other ways to help the team

I was one who was very negative on Reeves. Felt like he showed out when we didn’t need it more than when we did.

He has played very well and glad he has proven me wrong.

Reactions: Jamal Mercer
It's not big games, or really Power opponents.. the times when Reeves isn't at his best is when the team around him lets him down. He can't be the Josh Allen of UK, saving the team with 30pt games because most of the rest of the team is lost.

Which to me, is not at all a Reeves problem.. it's the rest of the team's problem, not being able to have one guy step up to score 15+ and take the pressure off of him.

Reeves isn't SUPPOSED to be some 5-star lethal scoring threat with NBA potential. It's not fair to ask that of him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT