ADVERTISEMENT

Reed Sheppard's Legacy at Kentucky -- I hate to disagree..

I haven't read this thread, but it's pretty difficult to develop much of a legacy in only one year and not even being a starter. If he wasn't from KY, his legacy wouldn't even be talked about. He had some good stats and won some personal awards, but it wasn't over the top and the team didn't have much success.

Think of this, Oscar won National Player of the Year, and pretty much nobody mentions his legacy.

I love Reed and loved Jeff. I wish we could have seen more of him, for sure. But fans have propped him up much higher than he deserves simply because he's from KY.
This is a fair comment.

Want nothing but the best for him, but he is not in the class of Jamal Mashburn, Dan Issel, Kenny Walker, Tony Delk, Jack Givens, Tayshaun Prince, Jeff Sheppard, etc...
I enjoyed watching Reed Sheppard play this past season. From the outside looking in it seemed like Sheppard was a good guy who has some natural leadership abilities. He doesn't strike me as the kind of person who will EVER end up on instagram-live waving a heater around inside a strip joint or boosting swag from an Apple store.

But from the outside looking in, it also appeared to me that Reed Sheppard can't create his own shot off the dribble, that he has no handle to speak of, that he doesn't possess NBA-caliber quickness, and that Sheppard essentially cannot guard a box of nails much less an NBA point guard. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. Sheppard has above average college range on his shot, and I hope he has success in both the short term as well as the long term. But I certainly won't be surprised if I click on the tv and see Sheppard wearing a G-League uniform the next two seasons.

Work really hard, make smart decisions and good luck kid!!

Last edited:
Reactions: mg0721
Hey. Almost 50-year fan here. Read my earlier post and they are all positive. I loved Reed and appreciated his play. I really do. However, for those saying that Reed is a Kentucky legend, I am not sure I can agree. We will remember him, but he will not go down as a legend. No championship, no final four, no SEC championship, and one just good year. That is not a legend. Another year would have made the difference but no legend status here for a couple great games. Thoughts?
He left with me wanting more. I'm not disappointed at all that he left. Hope he makes millions and uses it wisely. Hope he matures into a NBA star. I have my doubts he will. I don't see Hero talent. He's going to get abused on D. I hope I'm wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: Hjack and lazycat75
They need to play for the name on the front, not the name on the back.

When they leave they’re dead to me.

So typical. CI cult, have fun defending this BS.
Your last sentence I'm not quite sure what you were saying.

As a KY kid I was hoping he would be different. But he was the same fail and bail player we have repeatedly seen. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Love
Reactions: KFuqua
The Reed Sheppard season was probably the biggest build up with no payoff in Kentucky history, just short of the 2015 team. At least those guys went to a Final Four.

I can't blame Reed. He had a terrible coach. But Reed's time in Lexington was basically a microcosm for Cal's time here. A few great moments, with a momentous letdown at the end.

It's kind of sad when one considers how much talent Calipari squandered here.

Jeff = Legend. Championship / redshirt for others to play / Championship
Stacy = Almost legend. She was awesome but the did not win enough.

Reed = One of the better Freshman to play at UK. Played for a coach that did not allow him to try and reach legendary status. Reed = what could have been.

Reactions: UKNothinButNet
Hey. Almost 50-year fan here. Read my earlier post and they are all positive. I loved Reed and appreciated his play. I really do. However, for those saying that Reed is a Kentucky legend, I am not sure I can agree. We will remember him, but he will not go down as a legend. No championship, no final four, no SEC championship, and one just good year. That is not a legend. Another year would have made the difference but no legend status here for a couple great games. Thoughts?
I don't think you're disagreeing with most of the board. He had a great year and it was fun while it lasted. But it's hard to be a legend in 1 year. AD and his title are legendary. John Wall is a legend in my book for how he redefined the program, plus SEC reg season and tournament champ. Aaron Harrison could have left after one year and been a legend thanks to his run of game winners in a Runner-Up tournament run. Not sure there are any others from the last 15 years as freshmen.

I don't think you're disagreeing with most of the board. He had a great year and it was fun while it lasted. But it's hard to be a legend in 1 year. AD and his title are legendary. John Wall is a legend in my book for how he redefined the program, plus SEC reg season and tournament champ. Aaron Harrison could have left after one year and been a legend thanks to his run of game winners in a Runner-Up tournament run. Not sure there are any others from the last 15 years as freshmen.
I agree with this mostly. I loved watching him play and he had a good season, but I would not call him a legend for sure. Now having said that I do not begrudge the kid in the least bit for going pro he could not pass up a top 5 pick that would not have been a wise choice. I to have been watching nearly 50 years or least 45 that I can remember and my list of legends is pretty damn small.

I think those 3 are probably the 3 you think of. People also seem to grade the one and done types more harsher on the grading scale.

I'm sure some will disagree with you on Wall because he didn't make a final four or win a title. Those same posters will talk up guys that didn't make a final four that played 4 seasons though.

Reed’s going to create looks for his teammates. That’s his strength.
Well, I hope so but his strength is shooting the three. He didn't seem to be PG material this past season. Just stood around ball watching. But Cal didn't really teach much offense, either , and wouldn't let Welch do it.

His legacy is that he is a good player/great shooter, whose team won nothing. What more is there to say about him?

Reactions: WeWant9
I think those 3 are probably the 3 you think of. People also seem to grade the one and done types more harsher on the grading scale.

I'm sure some will disagree with you on Wall because he didn't make a final four or win a title. Those same posters will talk up guys that didn't make a final four that played 4 seasons though.
Absolutely and I'm one of those. If you played at Kentucky for one season...you are not a legend. If you came and played for Kentucky for multiple years and gave your all for Kentucky; you can definitely become a legend, even if you didn't win a title. Title doesn't equal legend. Players at Kentucky become legends because they actually played "for Kentucky".

Absolutely and I'm one of those. If you played at Kentucky for one season...you are not a legend. If you came and played for Kentucky for multiple years and gave your all for Kentucky; you can definitely become a legend, even if you didn't win a title. Title doesn't equal legend. Players at Kentucky become legends because they actually played "for Kentucky".

So based on your logic losing is OK as long as you lose for years.

He may suck as a NBA player but be great as a coach. Or he may be greater than John Stocktan and play 15 years. Who he signs with and whomever is his coach can affect everything. IN THE GAME THAT MATTERED MOST, HE SCORED 3 POINTS.LOOKED SCARED THE ENTIRE GAME. IN WHAT WORLD IS THAT A LOTTERY PICK? The NBA I guess.

Aren’t you a cool guy? He’s a kid on a big stage, I think “choked” is a bit harsh. He’ll be wiping his tears of yours away with handfuls of hundreds, kinda makes what you think irrelevant.
Worst player on the court against Oakland

• Haha
Reactions: flacat22
I think both Reed and his parents are special to UK. I believe they’re all blue to the bone. I also think Reed should have gone to the NBA ‘if’ he or his family needed the money in any way. With that said, HE is already a millionaire (maybe more) and UK basketball is in a bad spot and needs a big break to get back on track. Reed would have been a huge boost to help the program and odds are he still would have gone to the NBA and made a ton of money. He’s an awesome young man with an awesome family but his departure was a blow to UK basketball and I hope he somehow, some day, comes back and becomes a positive influence. Only time will tell.

Reactions: NociHTTP

Who said he was a legend?

I will say this, he was the biggest surprise at UK (good kind) as a Freshman in the history of my fandom .

Seemed like a good kid but he had zero wins post season. Had he come back for a sophomore season and led us to a title with pope as first year coach. That would have been legendary.

• Love
Reactions: NociHTTP and KFuqua
Honestly over-hyped player. He was a "Legacy " player thanks to his legend father. He will go down as a non starter fan favorite that chose to go pro instead of stay and improve his skills and also help UK possibly win another Championship.
No more ... no less. If his last name is not Shepherd there is 0 discussion about him.

Honestly over-hyped player. He was a "Legacy " player thanks to his legend father. He will go down as a non starter fan favorite that chose to go pro instead of stay and improve his skills and also help UK possibly win another Championship.
No more ... no less. If his last name is not Shepherd there is 0 discussion about him.
What a ridiculous take for a player that won National Freshman of the Year. I get some of you keyboard warriors are butthurt over him leaving, and that's fine. But you shouldn't make sh!t up and pretend he wasn't a baller for the year he was here.

If there was a good chance that he wouldve gotten drafted higher next year and made more money, then I think he probably wouldve returned. However If youre already a top 10 pick facing a tougher draft next year, you almost gotta go. I have no bad feelings towards any player facing the same scenerio, it was just when they weren't projected as anything and still left is when I had a problem.
Legend no, great all around kid that usually played really good despite his coach, yes..........

Seems kinda goofy to compare him to a legend, but equally goofy to compare him to every other one and done.

If he came back next year and still didn’t win all the things that you mentioned .

Would you still say he wasn’t a legend ?
If he came back and the team failed to win anything, but he was the leading scorer it would be up for debate. If he came back, was not the leading scorer, and still did not win anything absolutely not.

If we're talking legacy there is no question a second year would have made all the difference in the world. He had a magical freshman season but there is no questiont the long term legacy took a hit due to:

1. The deflated way the season ended.
2. The struggle he had the final game
3. In leaving after 1 year he fell under the lable of just another Cal one and done. Some folks thought he was different and a little more loyal.
4. We could have really used him a second year and there's a dispointment factor there.

• Love
Reed made the right decision for him. I'm not sure he cares about legacy. That was pretty clear when he decided to leave after one year.

I can't blame him. He's making the wise move. But fans are correct in asserting the claim that Sheppard has almost no legacy here. That's fine, too. I wish him the best and I hope he turns into John Stockton in the NBA, but his time here went out with a whimper.

It is what it is. Not ever story has a fairy tale ending.

Who said he was a legend?

I will say this, he was the biggest surprise at UK (good kind) as a Freshman in the history of my fandom .
There have been quite a few posts calling him a legend and they get mad if you say he isn't. Truth is, he did have a really good Freshman year, but he's no different from all the other one and done players that have poured through Kentucky over the past years under Cal. We all know who is parents are, and most of us have a ton of respect for them. Because of who they are, we had hoped that Reed had that same love for Kentucky that his parents have and that he would come back for his sophomore year to help rebuild. Instead, he chose to become another Cal one and done and head to the NBA and showed that Kentucky didn't really mean much to him at all; so he's no different from the others.

Reed was a good up and coming star for UK but choked bigly in the 1st round of the ncaa tournament. Only legacy he had was being a legends son that could have been a star and legend himself at UK. That being said, can't ever blame a guy for going pro, not for 1 second. You can get hurt any time, strike while the iron is hot.

There have been quite a few posts calling him a legend and they get mad if you say he isn't. Truth is, he did have a really good Freshman year, but he's no different from all the other one and done players that have poured through Kentucky over the past years under Cal. We all know who is parents are, and most of us have a ton of respect for them. Because of who they are, we had hoped that Reed had that same love for Kentucky that his parents have and that he would come back for his sophomore year to help rebuild. Instead, he chose to become another Cal one and done and head to the NBA and showed that Kentucky didn't really mean much to him at all; so he's no different from the others.
Well said.

Reactions: Hjack
Reed had a superb freshman season and I am so glad that he came to UK. Even without solid coaching, he managed to achieve the National Freshman of the year and SEC freshman of the year awards. He was a terrific play maker and made his teammates around him better. He did the right thing for himself by grabbing the golden goose while he could. I wish him all the best as a member of the BBN and Big Blue family.

As far as legend status, that is something given to those who accomplish more during their college career. If he had stayed, he probably would have been a legend. But, I do not fault him for leaving. His family is legendary and I am so thankful that they support UK basketball. Reed will have an amazing career in the NBA and can come back to UK and do the "Y" one day. Total respect for him and his family.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT