ADVERTISEMENT

Reed Sheppard's Legacy at Kentucky -- I hate to disagree..

Hey. Almost 50-year fan here. Read my earlier post and they are all positive. I loved Reed and appreciated his play. I really do. However, for those saying that Reed is a Kentucky legend, I am not sure I can agree. We will remember him, but he will not go down as a legend. No championship, no final four, no SEC championship, and one just good year. That is not a legend. Another year would have made the difference but no legend status here for a couple great games. Thoughts?
He is no where close to a legend. Another one and done.

If he came back next year and still didn’t win all the things that you mentioned .

Would you still say he wasn’t a legend ?
Yes, words have meaning and his body of work does not come close to legend status. He will make a lot of money. Hopefully have a good careen in thr NBA but UK legend will not be a part of his legacy.

Reactions: KFuqua
I kind of agree but just sounds like bitterness to me coming out today because he declared.
Had to play for the worst coach in America who never cared about him. Came off the bench and put in bad situations against Oakland. I seen where one poster said that’s all he will remember Reed by is his last game. Horrible fans!
Unacceptable in my era is so stupid to say. It’s a completely different game now.
I agree some of these posts are bitter. My personal opinion being a little older and having the vantage of hindsight, I feel like those years would have been special for him at UK and he would have been better off in the long run HAPPINESS-WISE. Happiness doesn't make the world go round unfortunately. Those years could just as easily be rough rebuilding years with little to no success.

The league just doesn't seem as appealing to me as it once did. No one seems to have heart. It's all about the money and not at all about loving basketball or even winning. Still the greatest players in the world but it just doesn't feel as electric as it did even 10 years ago. I also have my concerns that he isn't as ready as everyone seems to make him out. I am hoping he gets some good coaching for a change and has a great career. I would be really proud to see a mountain kid be an all-star and I might even bare watching some games.

But regardless of all of that I'm not Reed and I don't have a lottery pick staring back at me. If this was his dream then he doesn't owe anyone an explanation. Especially not some random kentuckians on an internet forum.

If Michael Jordan played 2 years Shepard can play 2. College athletics is over. I’m not sure how nba survives. No one I know watches. Worst of the major sports. Awful

Hey. Almost 50-year fan here. Read my earlier post and they are all positive. I loved Reed and appreciated his play. I really do. However, for those saying that Reed is a Kentucky legend, I am not sure I can agree. We will remember him, but he will not go down as a legend. No championship, no final four, no SEC championship, and one just good year. That is not a legend. Another year would have made the difference but no legend status here for a couple great games. Thoughts?
Well said OP. Glad he chose us. But I agree completely. His dad is absolutely a legend, but not Reed.

I agree some of these posts are bitter. My personal opinion being a little older and having the vantage of hindsight, I feel like those years would have been special for him at UK and he would have been better off in the long run HAPPINESS-WISE. Happiness doesn't make the world go round unfortunately. Those years could just as easily be rough rebuilding years with little to no success.

The league just doesn't seem as appealing to me as it once did. No one seems to have heart. It's all about the money and not at all about loving basketball or even winning. Still the greatest players in the world but it just doesn't feel as electric as it did even 10 years ago. I also have my concerns that he isn't as ready as everyone seems to make him out. I am hoping he gets some good coaching for a change and has a great career. I would be really proud to see a mountain kid be an all-star and I might even bare watching some games.

But regardless of all of that I'm not Reed and I don't have a lottery pick staring back at me. If this was his dream then he doesn't owe anyone an explanation. Especially not some random kentuckians on an internet forum.
I agree man. It’s just a very hard decision to make. A decision he may regret both ways but I think he made the right one if his dream is the nba.

Reactions: InAcorner
Nonexistent now, unfortunately. His father will always be a legend, and his son…well, he played here.

I say that with no ill will toward him. I would have made the exact same choice, were I in his position. I’d also just be a forgotten player years later. Without his father’s name, he’d be forgotten almost completely a decade from now.

If Michael Jordan played 2 years Shepard can play 2. College athletics is over. I’m not sure how nba survives. No one I know watches. Worst of the major sports. Awful
Jordan played 3 years at UNC, not 2. And he wanted to play all 4. He had to be heavily persuaded by others to come out after three.

But that was a VERY different era. The CBB world of the 1980s was so different from what it is now that it barely even seems like it should be called the same sport.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
Well since we’re all onboard with playing for the name on the front of the jersey these days, Reed definitely exemplified that more than most. Best three point shooter statistically in UK history. Has to mean something in the scheme of things. Same arguments towards NPOY Oscar for not “winning” in the tourney and wanted him sent packing for that dbag Dickinson.

Legend? Idk how do you even define that? Seems subjective. Salty folks on here today. Be happy he was here and what he turned into. Not his fault that his coach had one foot out the door and couldn’t care less.

He is part of a legendary UK family, but the achievements to that end are mom and dad’s.

He is a good player but joining the long line of OADs and hauling down zero postseason wins makes his contribution to the family legend solidly neutral…..a push.

Good luck Reed and as always…

GBB!

I can't call him a KY legend, he was a really good player at UK for 1 year, no championship, etc, Hope he has success in the pros.

Nope he’s not a legend. It is what it is but his team did squat. He had a great year, love the kid and wish him the best. I wanted him to have an all time legacy but kids wanna go pro. It is what it is.

Jordan played 3 years at UNC, not 2. And he wanted to play all 4. He had to be heavily persuaded by others to come out after three.

But that was a VERY different era. The CBB world of the 1980s was so different from what it is now that it barely even seems like it should be called the same sport.
Agree. It’s a different sport. I’ve argued that they should declare a new era and all championships, stats etc are set to zero. Start over. I’m not sure this can last another 10 yrs.

I hope Reed enjoys the g league be ause that's all he is likely to play in what I believe will be a short NBA career. Legend not hardly. One good season with a flame out in most important game of year does not a legend make.

I don't blame Reed for leaving. He did the right thing. Things have changed and Ky fans need to realize , this is now a business. It used to be good enough for a player to get free tuition. As always "Big Money" ruins everything and the NCAA has exploited colleges athletes for decades and it's time they get compensated at the expense of the sport.

Reactions: susan2361
It's one of those terms that lies in the eyes of the beholder. How many legends are there in this new system? It's not just the one-and-dones that are mercenaries.

Al McGuire famously said the best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores. The NBA rule deprives us of that. We didn't care when we were Final Four regulars. Now we realize what it costs us as fans.

I don't think he's going to be in the league for long unless a team can find ways to create looks for him.
NBA scouts disagree with you but what do they know?

Reed is a unique talent. He’s a bit undersized for the SG position and isn’t an elite athlete but shows a great ability to put the ball in the basket and is one of the best shooters in all of college basketball. Has a quick release and is lethal from downtown. He’s also a great decision maker on the court, keeps the ball moving and plays within the offense. Is incredibly efficient with his shooting.

Reed has a solid frame and decent movement skills but isn’t a big above the rim player. Has a skill-based game that relies on being a shot-maker and a play maker.

Does a good job of moving the ball and finding open teammates. He’s not a pure point guard but knows how to run an offense and is a skilled passer. Pushes the ball well and is a good pass-ahead player.

Is a very heady defender who is pesky on the ball and can pick the pocket of the ball-handler. Uses positioning really well, has great footwork on defense and has enough strength to hold his own against bigger guards and wings.

I hate it, but I have to agree with the OP on this one. He didn't do anywhere close enough to be called a UK legend. Reed Sheppard will go down in my book as one of the greatest untapped talents in Kentucky's history, and I blame Calipari.

Unfortunately for Reed he will go down in history as a kid who scored less than 13 a game for one season, never won a SEC or NCAA game, and left just like all the calipari players did.

Basically the TLDR of this post: I’m mad he didn’t stay at Kentucky because I had this delusional belief he would play for an unproven head coach instead of taking a bag.

Basically the TLDR of this post: I’m mad he didn’t stay at Kentucky because I had this delusional belief he would play for an unproven head coach instead of taking a bag.
Sorry. That was rude. I respect your fandom. Sincerely, I apologize. Your take is correct, but I sense some anti-Cal sentiment.

I don't blame him for taking the money and following his dreams. Since we only got one season though, that makes him just another one and done who happened to be born to a real UK legend. He hasn't given nearly as much to UK as Antonio Reeves and a host of other out of state kids.

Last edited:
No player that plays one season at Kentucky has a legacy. They are simply one of a long line that just played at UK. I love Reed and loved Jeff as players. But Reed will not be remembered many years from now because he didn't accomplish much there other than individual accomplishments.
I was trying so hard to not laugh at the person earlier in the thread who tried to conflate legacy with legend. Reed was just a really good freshman who, in the days when freshman were brought along instead of coddled, would have been coming back to work on some obvious holes in his game.

His jumping after 1 year begs the question

Did he come to UK because of his Kentucky roots or because of Cal and the path to the NBA?

If Cal had been at another school with the same NBA rep would Reed have chosen UK?

An unthinkable question a year ago but now I’m not so sure.

For me personally, he’s now just another 1 and done and I won’t be ever watching him in the NBA.

Legends should be made of sterner stuff.
If he'd had another coach other than Fraudipari, he would have been coming off the bench in a PROPER OFFENSE, being used for his sharpshooting in the correct manner, and sitting his butt when the lights were brightest or when defense was needed.

If he'd had another coach other than Fraudipari, he would have been coming off the bench in a PROPER OFFENSE, being used for his sharpshooting in the correct manner, and sitting his butt when the lights were brightest or when defense was needed.
Stop embarrassing yourself with your stupid takes.

He becomes a legend if he is pretending to go to the league to help coach Pope land new players. When he decides to then remove his name from the draft...Legend!
Otherwise, meh.

Reactions: yes_takeaside
For a freshman he was pretty close to a legend just thinking if he had a good coach he would have been even better.

You make a fair point. But he also definitely did what was best for him, in no other draft is he going in the lotto.

While I like Reed and enjoyed watching him play at Kentucky, I can’t call him a legend. One great individual year with no tournament wins does not make a legend. Can’t blame him for declaring, hard to turn down that kind of money though. Good luck at the next level Reed.

Reactions: brookslouky
He was fine as a freshman. Luckily for him, the weakest NBA draft class maybe of all time is the 2024 class. When 12/4/4 can buy you into the lottery, you have to do it. He had a good season (not great) and I was looking forward to seeing him develop. Oh well, I'll never see him play again, because I dang sure don't watch that product they call NBA basketball where you don't have to dribble and can manipulate your hand under the entire ball.

Jeff's a legend...Reed's an asterisk in the book of UK

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT