ADVERTISEMENT

Reed Sheppard's Legacy at Kentucky -- I hate to disagree..

I wish him well and loved watching him play, I’m ready for our next team in hopes it will be different than what we have had. I too do not watch the NBA and won’t, however I’m sure I will read about it if he does well.

Reactions: CHAMPCAT11
His Dad is a legend and mom too.Hes hung around a guy (cal)and players that the ultimate goal is the nba for last 6 months I'm not shocked he wants to go hope he goes to Riley.
His 6 months "hanging around" Cal and whoever else want to be pro (All basketball players) didn't alter his mind into a 1nD. Most players no matter how much they love college or their school are going if projected top 10.

I was just trying to be nice. Loved his game!
What’s legendary to me is how a Kentucky boy growed up down the road from me and worked his butt off to end up on a roster full of Cals one and dones. Not only play for the wildcats but become an elite player. From the hills of Ky to a lottery pick in nba that’s legendary to me and a great story. Try some Prozac or something Mr 50 yr old fan.
Sweet post. No Prozac needed. We did not take that in my generation. :) My point was not that it was not a major accomplishment that he did well and made it to the NBA. My point was simply, and never responding to you--never read your post, is simply that he will not go down in Kentucky College basketball history as a legend. He won't.

Hey. Almost 50-year fan here. Read my earlier post and they are all positive. I loved Reed and appreciated his play. I really do. However, for those saying that Reed is a Kentucky legend, I am not sure I can agree. We will remember him, but he will not go down as a legend. No championship, no final four, no SEC championship, and one just good year. That is not a legend. Another year would have made the difference but no legend status here for a couple great games. Thoughts?
Loved watching him play but his jersey should never hang in Rupp.

Reed had one or two legendary moments (Mississippi St. game winner primarily) mixed in with a REALLY great freshman year. That doesn’t, however, equal legend status without at least a little hardware involved.

Love Reed—favorite KY born player since Miller. But legend status should be near impossible to attain. Didn’t do near enough to warrant that label, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Reed had one or two legendary moments (Mississippi St. game winner primarily) mixed in with a REALLY great freshman year. That doesn’t, however, equal legend status without at least a little hardware involved.

Love Reed—favorite KY player since Miller. But legend status should be near impossible to attain. Didn’t do enough to warrant that label, unfortunately.
Just another dude. With a legendary name.

I give the edge in that one to Reed for simply being a KY native and following in his parent’s footsteps and playing at UK. Advantage Reed.
Seems like rationalizations to me to shine up a personal predilection.

What I see is a good player that had a good year which ended in severe disappointment where he puckered up under the bright lights that we wish the best and hope to see each summer to help the next ones up polish up but it would be drastically lowering the bar to call his time legendary.

He is exactly in the same space as Rob. Neither of them are even Monk much less legendary here.

Out of curiosity, WHO is claiming he’s a “legend”? I’ve not seen anyone.

He’s a “maybe could’ve been”, and in the old days when players like him stayed four years “would’ve been” legend. But in the end, he’s really just another Calipari one and done who passed through. The only difference is that this one happened to be from the state.

At UK, winning is what counts. And Shep never even won a conference title or got past the first round of EITHER the SEC or NCAA tournaments. That ain’t the resume of a legend.

If he came back next year and still didn’t win all the things that you mentioned .

Would you still say he wasn’t a legend ?
It would be a lot easier to appreciate him leaving after next year because he would have been helping the program, he would’ve given Pope something to build a team around and helped the program transition.

He also would have become the only player besides Tim Duncan in the last 30 years to turn down a lottery pick status to stay in college.

Nobody was expecting him to stay for 4 years, but a Sophomore season would have been nice and meant a lot to this program.

As of now, he’s made his choice, he’s not a legend, and his jersey will never hang in Rupp. He’s a small blip in the history books of Kentucky Basketball.

I hope the Spurs take him and they win 10 titles with him and Wemby and he makes a billion dollars, but there’s nothing he could do to be a legend for his time here.

Reactions: KFuqua and NociHTTP
No player that plays one season at Kentucky has a legacy. They are simply one of a long line that just played at UK. I love Reed and loved Jeff as players. But Reed will not be remembered many years from now because he didn't accomplish much there other than individual accomplishments.

Seems like rationalizations to me to shine up a personal predilection.

What I see is a good player that had a good year which ended in severe disappointment where he puckered up under the bright lights that we wish the best and hope to see each summer to help the next ones up polish up but it would be drastically lowering the bar to call his time legendary.

He is exactly in the same space as Rob. Neither of them are even Monk much less legendary here.
Call it want you want but of course I have a bias for Reed. However, that wasn’t the original question. The comparison offered by the other poster was between Ty Ty and Reed, he asserted they were equal in terms of status and I stand my my opinion that Reed has “the edge” due to the reasons I stated in my response.

Hey. Almost 50-year fan here. Read my earlier post and they are all positive. I loved Reed and appreciated his play. I really do. However, for those saying that Reed is a Kentucky legend, I am not sure I can agree. We will remember him, but he will not go down as a legend. No championship, no final four, no SEC championship, and one just good year. That is not a legend. Another year would have made the difference but no legend status here for a couple great games. Thoughts?
I’ve not really seen a lot of post calling him a legend. Actually not sure I’ve seen any. Obviously we all loved him as a freshmen and he had a remarkable freshmen season but I guess I missed where there is a push for him to be labeled a UK legend.

Calenouht want you want but of course I have a bias for Reed. However, that wasn’t the original question. The comparison offered by the other poster was between Ty Ty and Reed, he asserted they were equal in terms of status and I stand my my opinion that Reed has “the edge” due to the reasons I stated in my response.
Fair enough. We all have our perspectives but personally I don't give myself or anyone else credit for things they had no responsibility for nor any input in.

He didn't earn being Jeff and Stacey's son and they decided where he would be born and brought up too.

It is sort of like giving someone credit for financial acumen because they inherited money.

No anger here for Reed. Loved his play. Would have liked to have him back. Just now cemented a very average player ranking.
That's so hilarious. Average player. Right. That's why he's going in the upper echelon on the first round. GTFO troll!

I said that I agree with that.
I should have said that he just would need at least another year. :) That is all.

He’s a “maybe could’ve been”, and in the old days when players like him stayed four years “would’ve been” legend. But in the end, he’s really just another Calipari one and done who passed through. The only difference is that this one happened to be from the state.

At UK, winning is what counts. And Shep never even won a conference title or got past the first round of EITHER the SEC or NCAA tournaments. That ain’t the resume of a legend.
@reed_sheppar•4h

Matt Jones for one amount others.

He’s not.

We all love Reed.

But the fact remains he was not apart of any post season wins.

Great kid and freshman season though.

Tayshaun is a UK legend

Ron Mercer is a UK legend

MKG is a UK Legend

Doron Lamb is a UK legend.

Reed is not.

I’m with you Mr Foster . Reed could have. Came back and made a few million and been a total legend . And wiped away the bad memory of an opening round SECT loss and horrifying , pathetic loss in the NCAAT . He would have drawn players into Popes new team .. maybe he could have convinced Z to stay and win a title . When he’s tired of the NBA grind and being a commodity he might miss not being a legend at UK .. in 3 years he will barely be remembered. But he will have money .

Reactions: KFuqua
You have to accomplish something major to be a legend. Reed as an individual player had a great freshman season, but he accomplished nothing for UK.
Right because his coach would not let him do so. Had Cal started our two lottery picks and played the three R’s until they dropped we may have won it all.
I hope the Sheppards and Dillinghams will not let him near the green room. He wasted their talent and a good run in March .

• Haha
Reactions: BluesDaddy and UK90
There's a damn good chance he wouldn't have had as good a season.
Reed had to go.
They don't draft 6'3" white dudes from Kentucky very often.....oh thats right THEY HAVE NEVER drafted a boy from Southeastern Kentucky before.
He had to go make history. Go put London on the map Reed.

Fuk em they aint from London. Let em hate.

Laurel County we fkn did it !!
Ric Flair 91' "with a tear in my eye...."

• Haha
Reactions: Anthony B and UK90
Right because his coach would not let him do so. Had Cal started our two lottery picks and played the three R’s until they dropped we may have won it all.
I hope the Sheppards and Dillinghams will not let him near the green room. He wasted their talent and a good run in March .
Whatever you gotta tell yourself to cope, man!

They puckered up pretty badly themselves.
Poorly prepared for the moment, I will grant but they contributed to the stank.

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
I’m with you Mr Foster . Reed could have. Came back and made a few million and been a total legend . And wiped away the bad memory of an opening round SECT loss and horrifying , pathetic loss in the NCAAT . He would have drawn players into Popes new team .. maybe he could have convinced Z to stay and win a title . When he’s tired of the NBA grind and being a commodity he might miss not being a legend at UK .. in 3 years he will barely be remembered. But he will have money .
Truth!

Reactions: KFuqua
What legendary status? Nope.

I grew up right down the road as well. Doesn't mean he's a legend at Kentucky. For sure at North Laurel and in KHSAA but not so much at UK. His dad however has 2 championships and played on what's considered the best team UK has had so far. I'd consider him a legend. Don't know much about his mom other than she played also. But to call him a legend amongst all the greats at UK just isn't true. Don't blame him one bit. Part of me thinks that when he gets a little older he may regret it. But he can just wipe his tears away with money and that's all most people care about anymore.
I kind of agree but just sounds like bitterness to me coming out today because he declared.
Had to play for the worst coach in America who never cared about him. Came off the bench and put in bad situations against Oakland. I seen where one poster said that’s all he will remember Reed by is his last game. Horrible fans!
Unacceptable in my era is so stupid to say. It’s a completely different game now.

His jumping after 1 year begs the question

Did he come to UK because of his Kentucky roots or because of Cal and the path to the NBA?

If Cal had been at another school with the same NBA rep would Reed have chosen UK?

An unthinkable question a year ago but now I’m not so sure.

For me personally, he’s now just another 1 and done and I won’t be ever watching him in the NBA.

Legends should be made of sterner stuff.

I know it was 18 years ago, but Joakim Noah was projected as the No. 1 pick after just winning the national championship yet somehow the entire nucleus came back and won another title. Noah dropped to 10 the next year, I believe.

Like how does that happen? I don’t think we’ve had anyone stick around for two years that was a projected first rounder since what? 2011?

Actually a “legend” does have a lot of “what if’s”…but a “legendary” player has accolades to support their status and ability. Right now, Reed has about as much “legend” status as SGA, Kevin Knox, etc. Yes they are phenomenal players but didn’t reach the level of legendary because of not reaching the levels they needed…like an elite 8/final four/or championship to tag along with their awesome season.

Reactions: KFuqua and NociHTTP
I’ll just say this. My lasting image of Jeff is him intercepting a pass against Utah late in the second half and throwing down a dunk to ice the game. My lasting image of Reed is a scared, deer-in-the-headlights look against Oakland

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT