ADVERTISEMENT

Reed Sheppard's Legacy at Kentucky -- I hate to disagree..

Dec 31, 2011
Hey. Almost 50-year fan here. Read my earlier post and they are all positive. I loved Reed and appreciated his play. I really do. However, for those saying that Reed is a Kentucky legend, I am not sure I can agree. We will remember him, but he will not go down as a legend. No championship, no final four, no SEC championship, and one just good year. That is not a legend. Another year would have made the difference but no legend status here for a couple great games. Thoughts?

I do wish Reed the best of luck, and he was a great player. I agree, not legend status. And that’s okay.
Hey. Almost 50-year fan here. Read my earlier post and they are all positive. I loved Reed and appreciated his play. I really do. However, for those saying that Reed is a Kentucky legend, I am not sure I can agree. We will remember him, but he will not go down as a legend. No championship, no final four, no SEC championship, and one just good year. That is not a legend. Another year would have made the difference but no legend status here for a couple great games. Thoughts?

He did the right thing for himself. No ill will as almost all of us would have done the same. But no, not even close to a legend - who said he was? Seems like just trying to put him down for no reason.

Our anger should be directed at Calipari for losing a game to freaking Oakland when we had two top 10 picks.

If he came back next year and still didn’t win all the things that you mentioned .

Would you still say he wasn’t a legend ?
Coming back for the name in the front of the chest would throw him into legendary status if he performed well. However, I’d rather have 20 million dollars to take care of a few generations than be a college basketball legend. So you can’t blame him.

Coming back for the name in the front of the chest would throw him into legendary status if he performed well. However, I’d rather have 20 million dollars to take care of a few generations than be a college basketball legend. So you can’t blame him.
Yeah I only asked because he said another year would have made a difference . But i was wondering how he would view him if he returned and still didn’t win .

Damn shame what Cal did to how Reed may possibly be remembered here .

He did the right thing for himself. No ill will as almost all of us would have done the same. But no, not even close to a legend - who said he was? Seems like just trying to put him down for no reason.

Our anger should be directed at Calipari for losing a game to freaking Oakland when we had two top 10 picks.
No anger here for Reed. Loved his play. Would have liked to have him back. Just now cemented a very average player ranking.

I was just trying to be nice. Loved his game!
What’s legendary to me is how a Kentucky boy growed up down the road from me and worked his butt off to end up on a roster full of Cals one and dones. Not only play for the wildcats but become an elite player. From the hills of Ky to a lottery pick in nba that’s legendary to me and a great story. Try some Prozac or something Mr 50 yr old fan.

I was just trying to be nice. Loved his game!
What’s legendary to me is how a Kentucky boy growed up down the road from me and worked his butt off to end up on a roster full of Cals one and dones. Not only play for the wildcats but become an elite player. From the hills of Ky to a lottery pick in nba that’s legendary to me and a great story. Try some Prozac or something Mr 50 yr old fan.
I grew up right down the road as well. Doesn't mean he's a legend at Kentucky. For sure at North Laurel and in KHSAA but not so much at UK. His dad however has 2 championships and played on what's considered the best team UK has had so far. I'd consider him a legend. Don't know much about his mom other than she played also. But to call him a legend amongst all the greats at UK just isn't true. Don't blame him one bit. Part of me thinks that when he gets a little older he may regret it. But he can just wipe his tears away with money and that's all most people care about anymore.

Can’t fault the kid for doing exactly what I would do under the same circumstances, and what I’d tell my son to do. I’ve worked hard for too many years for a lot less than Reed will make in the next 3 years playing basketball to have any illusions about risking that.

But he’s no more of a Kentucky legend than TyTy Washington. His career played out about the same way.

Unfortunately for me, Reed's "legacy" is going 1-5 against Oakland, throwing the ball in the stands twice, and getting burned repeatedly by Oakland's backcourt.

The guy looked afraid to be out there, and wasn't close to being able to handle the moment.

Best of luck in the NBA Reed.

Can’t fault the kid for doing exactly what I would do under the same circumstances, and what I’d tell my son to do.

But he’s no more of a Kentucky legend than TyTy Washington. His career played out about the same way.
I give the edge in that one to Reed for simply being a KY native and following in his parent’s footsteps and playing at UK. Advantage Reed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT