ADVERTISEMENT

Reed Sheppard Question

UKFAN4L

Sophomore
Mar 26, 2009
Sorry if this has been discussed, but…with him projected as a lottery pick, do you really think he would go to the league after 1 year or return to UK? I’m sure there are several variables, but I just think he comes back unless they win it all.

Reactions: KFuqua and Fox2monk
Sorry if this has been discussed, but…with him projected as a lottery pick, do you really think he would go to the league after 1 year or return to UK? I’m sure there are several variables, but I just think he comes back unless they win it all.
Definitely should return and I honestly don’t see how he’s a lottery pick but shooting and TS% is valuable to scouts so I thinks that’s why he’s valued so much. His defense is so bad though I can see him slide a lot during workouts. People don’t think the NBA plays defense but they do when needed and their rotations are fast and everyone knows where they should be. The offensive players are so good that it makes them look bad and the rules cause a lot of that now.

Obviously I hope he returns. If he actually is a Lottery pick it’s a no brainer but NIL changes things. However; I have a feeling his parents like Triple C less and less as the season goes on and there are some potential really bad Triple C ‘moments’ coming our way by the end of the season. Regardless, I just want what’s best for Reed and his family. They ALL deserve better than the washed up coach they have to deal with.

You think he will be back if he's in the lottery?
I don't think he will be but if he is I don't see how he can turn down being set financially for life.
I think Reed would stay if Calipari wasn't here. I think Reed recognizes that Calipari is a deceitful fool. I would guess that Reed will go into the draft just to get away from Calipari ... now that he's seen the Calipari farce for himself, up close.

I think Reed would stay if Calipari wasn't here. I think Reed recognizes that Calipari is a deceitful fool. I would guess that Reed will go into the draft just to get away from Calipari ... now that he's seen the Calipari farce for himself, up close.
I have my issues with Cal. but this is straight up a ridiculous thing to say. Like seriously, take a chill pill. Any elite talent wants to play for cal simply cause he gets guys to the league. A really good Anthony Davis vid came out about him almost going to Ohio st. Cal and noone else locked him in to UK. elite talent come to Calipari and for good reason. His recuits in the nba doesnt need much defending....

• Haha
Reactions: KFuqua and Deli owl
IMO, and for ALL of us on here it is just OPINION, it is 50/50.

Lots of factors:
- after NBA workouts and meeting teams where are THE TEAMS TELLING THEM he might be drafted (ignore the various internet draft projections) and how much would that draft range get him
- how much does he enjoy "the college experience"
- how important is the education to him and his parents
- how much can he get in NIL
- does he feel he has unfinished business w/ the Cats
- how good is his relationship w/ the coaches (current or new) and returning teammates
- what do NBA teams tell him he needs to work on, and whether they think he will immediately play in the league or it will take time; and if he stays how much do they think he can move up in the draft a year later
- heck, even a girlfriend could be a factor

Obviously I hope he returns. If he actually is a Lottery pick it’s a no brainer but NIL changes things. However; I have a feeling his parents like Triple C less and less as the season goes on and there are some potential really bad Triple C ‘moments’ coming our way by the end of the season. Regardless, I just want what’s best for Reed and his family. They ALL deserve better than the washed up coach they have to deal with.
Yeah, you are touching on something that doesn’t seem to come up in these conversations. The idea that he or his parents want him to play another year under Cal is ludicrous.

Another thing I would say to all of these people who are offering their input as far as his stock dropping after workouts, etc. - these people realize that Reed isn’t the athlete that others are. They know his weaknesses. Pundits are well aware of his weaknesses and limitations, but are still projecting him in the lottery because of his strengths and value.

Last edited:
Reactions: shaudyshaud
What makes you think this. Serious question. Everyone says that Cal only plays the Klutch kids and the top rated players, but Reed is either leading the team in minutes or second. What has he been deceitful about with the Shepperd family.

Lots of factors:
- after NBA workouts and meeting teams where are THE TEAMS TELLING THEM he might be drafted (ignore the various internet draft projections) and how much would that draft range get him
- how good is his relationship w/ the coaches (current or new) and returning teammates
- what do NBA teams tell him he needs to work on, and whether they think he will immediately play in the league or it will take time; and if he stays how much do they think he can move up in the draft a year later
NIL won’t come close to rookie scale. Even the last pick in the first round in the 2023 draft is making 2.4 million this year and by year three will make over 3 million.

I do not understand why people would even expect him to think about coming back if he is a first rounder, let alone a lottery pick.

Don’t give me NIL as a reason. There’s a world of difference in NIL money and a GUARANTEED multi million dollar NBA contract. As much as we all love the university, we’d make the same decision if we are honest with ourselves

Lots of factors:
This is the biggest red herring ever. If you can go to the league and make millions, you can always get an education later. You are only young enough to play basketball for so long, and in the NBA, the second contract is where you get paid and your kids don't have to work. Jeff didn't get the second contract. If he is a lottery pick he has to go financially. I honestly don't think he is a lottery pick. But, people that think kids will come back solely because they want to play for Kentucky are living in decades past. I hope our entire team comes back. With more seasoning, this could be as good as a team we've seen. I think another year for each of them putting on weight and learning to play defense and this team could be as good as any we've ever had. It obviously won't happen.

I do not understand why people would even expect him to think about coming back if he is a first rounder, let alone a lottery pick.

Don’t give me NIL as a reason. There’s a world of difference in NIL money and a GUARANTEED multi million dollar NBA contract. As much as we all love the university, we’d make the same decision if we are honest with ourselves
If he can get NIL contracts selling shit in Kentucky, he will get them if he is in the NBA also. Forcht Bank is going to pay him to pitch their bank if he is in the NBA. And, all of a sudden, the NBA ticket will be sold in the mountains for the first time ever.

Yeah, you are touching on something that doesn’t seem to come up in these conversations. The idea that he or his parents want him to play another year under Cal is ludicrous.

Another thing I would say to all of these people who are offering their input as far as his stock dropping after workouts, etc. - these people realize that Reed isn’t the athlete that others are. They know his weaknesses. Pundits are well aware of his weaknesses and limitations, but are still projecting him in the lottery because of his strengths and value.
Pundits don't draft. GMs do.

Gary Parrish has a mock draft updated over the weekend and has Reed as the No. 2 overall pick.

I just didn't ever imagine that. I thought maybe last 1st Round. If Reed and Rob are Lottery Picks and we don't make the Elite 8 or Final 4 ... I'm going to go crazy.

Gary Parrish has a mock draft updated over the weekend and has Reed as the No. 2 overall pick.

I just didn't ever imagine that. I thought maybe last 1st Round. If Reed and Rob are Lottery Picks and we don't make the Elite 8 or Final 4 ... I'm going to go crazy.
So here is the dichotomy. People say that high freshman draft picks don't help us win championships, but then get pissed when we have high freshman draft picks, yet don't win a championship.

• Haha
Reactions: Monk2Fox

They just really want it to happen. That’s most here. And others think they know more than the guys at ESPN, SI, CBS Sports, etc that create these mock drafts. I’m tired of the back and forth, really. I’ve pointed out that CBS Sports mock draft - along with others - from last February, was incredibly accurate, nailing most of the lottery picks and first round. You can go back several years and see that mock drafts in February accurately predict what comes to pass.

Reactions: ThunderCat98

What really sucks is they are not the picks they are because of potential. They’re high picks because of what they’re doing NOW.

So this isn’t a case where Cal has some players that become elite after two or three years in the league. He has two guys who are elite right now and another guy in Reeves, who is a great college player and another guy in Mitchell, who is an experienced player with some skill. He is so washed.

Reactions: Monk2Fox
What really sucks is they are not the picks they are because of potential. They’re high picks because of what they’re doing NOW.

So this isn’t a case where Cal has some players that become elite after two or three years in the league. He has two guys who are elite right now and another guy in Reeves, who is a great college player and another guy in Mitchell, who is an experienced player with some skill. He is so washed.
Thats such a amazing thing you just said. This isnt a Hamidou Diallo situation. Or even a james young thing. James young 1st rd mid pick went to championship game playing 5 freshman.. they are both playing at a higher level than him

NIL won’t come close to rookie scale. Even the last pick in the first round in the 2023 draft is making 2.4 million this year and by year three will make over 3 million.
Correct. But it’s not all about money. There are other factors. He’s still a kid. Easier to pass up 2.4M if alternative is 1M than if it is 25K.
AND you are ignoring how much more he could make if he waited a year and improved his draft spot 5 picks, 10 picks, 15 picks.

Reactions: KFuqua
Correct. But it’s not all about money. There are other factors. He’s still a kid. Easier to pass up 2.4M if alternative is 1M than if it is 25K.
AND you are ignoring how much more he could make if he waited a year and improved his draft spot 5 picks, 10 picks, 15 picks.
But there are inherent risks involved with returning, and the draft class may be stronger. I’d also say there’s no way he will shoot the ball at a higher percentage next year.

From a purely statistical standpoint, he’s having an incredible season that he’d be very unlikely to replicate, let alone improve upon.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
No one in the 23 class has benefited more by signing with UK than Reed.

Cason is making 5 mil/yr as the #10 pick.
History tells us players don't improve draft position by coming back.
Sure it's happened but it's not the norm.
The 24 draft is setting up nicely for Reed to be over drafted which is a financial benefit to him.
Weak drafts and strong drafts all pay the same.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
I think his parents will encourage him to stay at UK. Could be wrong though
I really think the opposite because they probably feel he's earned the right to be a high draft pick.
He's their son so I'm sure they think he's the best guard in CBB.
Also factor in that his parents made very little money playing basketball.
I think Jeff played a season but Stacey never played any pro ball and let's face it, there was no" NIL" for women's players so she basically got a free education out of her career.

However; I have a feeling his parents like Triple C less
That is ridiculous. Reed was never projected as an NBA player prior to being coached by Calipari. Most figured and many predicted he would end up transferring after an Allen type scenario played out.

Now after being coached by Calipari there are most mocks that have him in the top 10 and some in the top 5.

Lots of factors:
I agree, we won’t know where he probably going in a draft until the start working out. I’ve seen dudes that were lotto fall to the end of projections, some to second round, and some not drafted. Tyrese Maxey went like 20th or something. I think Maxey is way better defensively overall and had just as many tools to score the ball. He didn’t shoot as high as % but he had the skill too and that’s why he shoots 40% in the league.

There are a LOT of things to hate on Cal about, but I don’t think Reed can be too upset with Cal as he plays as many minutes as about anyone on the team and is always on the court during crunch time.

Would Antoine Walker have benefitted from coming back and taking some economics classes?

To be a well rounded adult it takes more than money.

Now to make me better rounded, I need money.

• Haha
Reactions: Ky-troutbum
This board is pretty funny because whenever someone makes an NBAs thread a bunch of folks tell us how they don’t play defense . Yet that’s the reason those same people are saying Reed won’t be good at the next level because of this defense.

So which is it?

Reed is as good as gone and should be! He’s not an idiot, he knows (as does his parents) that Cal is a joke of a coach! He knows this team’s potential is being stunted. He knows he’s never winning anything at the college level under the buffoon in chief!

Heck, I don’t believe a single player will return next season if Cal is allowed to return as HC! Not a single one 🎯

I think he’ll come back, because I was a kid who grew up in Kentucky dreaming of playing for UK, and I would come back if I were in his shoes.

Time goes by in a flicker, and you only need so much money. Little things like winning the Regional Tournament in high school to go to the Sweet 16 are still some of my fondest memories. I can only imagine what making a Final Four and winning a championship at Kentucky would feel like.

Maybe if we pull off a miracle run to the championship this year he’ll leave. Otherwise, my gut says he comes back.

Reactions: twindaddy2003+1
That would be a terrible decision if he's projected lottery
Not necessarily. There are lottery picks picked high because they project in the future to be contributors, but start out at end of the bench or in the G-league. Maybe they finish developing, maybe not. I would want to be drafted high because the team has honks I can contribute (and play) NOW.

Reed is as good as gone and should be! He’s not an idiot, he knows (as does his parents) that Cal is a joke of a coach! He knows this team’s potential is being stunted. He knows he’s never winning anything at the college level under the buffoon in chief!

Heck, I don’t believe a single player will return next season if Cal is allowed to return as HC! Not a single one 🎯
You act like Reed is a fan instead of a player.
Why would he be mad at a coach that's made him such a big part of what the team does.
You think he's mad at Cal because of how the season has gone so far?
Wouldn't that mean he would also have to be mad at himself?
These kids don't give a damn about the fans opinions.
They do positive things like sign autographs and make visits to schools, hospitals etc but they could care less about a fan being upset about a loss, seeding or anything else.
After all it is THEIR team.

Reactions: thedahc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT