ADVERTISEMENT

Reed Sheppard Question

IMO, and for ALL of us on here it is just OPINION, it is 50/50.

Lots of factors:
- after NBA workouts and meeting teams where are THE TEAMS TELLING THEM he might be drafted (ignore the various internet draft projections) and how much would that draft range get him
- how much does he enjoy "the college experience"
- how important is the education to him and his parents
- how much can he get in NIL
- does he feel he has unfinished business w/ the Cats
- how good is his relationship w/ the coaches (current or new) and returning teammates
- what do NBA teams tell him he needs to work on, and whether they think he will immediately play in the league or it will take time; and if he stays how much do they think he can move up in the draft a year later
- heck, even a girlfriend could be a factor
This ^ brings up some excellent points.

That is ridiculous. Reed was never projected as an NBA player prior to being coached by Calipari. Most figured and many predicted he would end up transferring after an Allen type scenario played out.

Now after being coached by Calipari there are most mocks that have him in the top 10 and some in the top 5.
"coached by Calipari" 😂

Which one benefited him more? "GOOOOOOOOOO" or "RUUUUUUNNNNNN"?

Reactions: Big Foot 275
3 things:

1. Nearly all mock drafts have him as a lottery/near lottery pick. That's generational wealth that far exceeds anything NIL can offer.

2. As some have pointed out, his stock will likely never be higher. He's had a ridiculous season stat-wise, so he's probably reached his ceiling in that regard.

3. This is a weak draft, contributing to number 1 above. Probably not going to get any weaker over the life of his potential 4-year college career. You have to strike while the iron is hot.

If things stay the same until the end of the season, it would be financially irresponsible if his parents and Cal didn't push him out the door. I know some of you would give your left sack to have him back, but the kid ultimately has to do what's best for him and his family in the long run. People pining for him to stay are just being selfish and ridiculous. He can always come back and finish his degree later in life.

3 things:

1. Nearly all mock drafts have him as a lottery/near lottery pick. That's generational wealth that far exceeds anything NIL can offer.

2. As some have pointed out, his stock will likely never be higher. He's had a ridiculous season stat-wise, so he's probably reached his ceiling in that regard.

3. This is a weak draft, contributing to number 1 above. Probably not going to get any weaker over the life of his potential 4-year college career. You have to strike while the iron is hot.

If things stay the same until the end of the season, it would be financially irresponsible if his parents and Cal didn't push him out the door. I know some of you would give your left sack to have him back, but the kid ultimately has to do what's best for him and his family in the long run. People pining for him to stay are just being selfish and ridiculous. He can always come back and finish his degree later in life.
Left sack? Do you guys have more sacks than I do?

• Haha
Reactions: JonathanW
I don't think there's anyway he's lottery . Great college player he might be a really good NBA player. But he doesn't have size or speed. In a different era ( like Stockton an Price) then maybe but in today's game I don't think so. I think heclikely goes in the 20s. RD0 is likely our only Lottery pick.

I do think Reed stays as he will smash UK. Record for Nil n get alot. Also his parents will encourage it.

It depends on what his draft prospects are really like when he actually goes through the process and talks to NBA scouts and executives. If he’s really looking at being picked in the top 10 range like some of the mocks have him right now, I have a hard time imagining that he stays though. None of the reasons given that he should stay are very convincing from my perspective.

1. NIL: He’s extremely unlikely to get NIL that’s more valuable than a first round guaranteed contract. There’s also nothing stopping him from doing endorsements as an NBA player.

2. Improving his game: While I don’t doubt that he still has room to improve, not all improvement is necessarily done in college. You could argue that the NBA may be an even better chance at that since he’d be playing with and being coached by pros and wouldn’t have any practice restrictions or academic requirements to deal with. The only reason to come back to college for improvement would be if there’s actually a chance at improving draft position and getting more guaranteed money, but I have a hard time seeing him ever being projected significantly better than he is now.

3. Education: I’m a big believer in the value of education, but I also realize that not many of us have a talent that could guarantee us millions of dollars. The opportunity to work on his degree will always be there later if he so chooses. The chance at a basketball career may not be if he waits and something goes wrong.

We’re basically just hoping that he’s as sentimental about putting on a Kentucky jersey as we imagine we would be in his shoes, but the opportunity to be drafted in the top 10 will be almost impossible to pass up if it’s actually there.

These kids don't give a damn about the fans opinions.
They do positive things like sign autographs and make visits to schools, hospitals etc but they could care less about a fan being upset about a loss, seeding or anything else.
Wonder who they get that from.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT